Can we discuss some tank builds, what do you think is the best? what do you like playing?

I have played chanter/pally and I'm looking for something different.

Copied from my reply in beating megabosses thread. 

Alright so here is the pally/wizard deflection build for dordugan facetanking. Sadly can't kill dordu but will tank forever. (TESTED btw on POTD upscaled)

Make sure you are using blood mage subclass for wizard btw. So you can keep recasting wizard self buffs and never run out of resources. 

Rekvu helmet (stop interruptions)

Bonesetters Torc necklace (get that hp regen boi!)

Casita Semelia armour (for deflection)

Cape of Falling Star (for deflection)

Greater Deflection gloves (gor deflection)

Ahu Taka boots (get that hp regen boi!)

Psychers belt (get that hp regen boi!)

Ring of Greater Regen (get that hp regen boi!)

Entonia Signet ring (for deflection)

Giftwrapper pet (more healing! and that +1 armour)

Weapon we use is Kapana Taga as it's got +5 accuracy, +1 armor, +4 deflection when no allies are around and +4 accuracy for each engaged target. 

Shield we use is Bronlar's Phalanx as it has +10 deflection at 50%hp as well as crazy buff with stand firm at 25%hp or lower (sadly, we don't go even go less than 30%hp on this build)

Why no Rekvu cape for Dordu meteor? Because we have so much deflection we don't get hit by his meteor attack.

Why no Cadhu Scath? Bronlar gives better deflection even with Cadhu being at 24 athletics. Also we want to hove around 50%hp to get use of Llengrath's safeguard

Late game stat distribution should be (assuming no rest buffs)

Mig 25 (more healing)

Con 10 (we want to be chunked to 50%hp quicker to proc Llengrath's safeguard which is one of our main defense component)

Dex 10 (don't need it)

Per 25 (we want to be more accurate but sadly even at 25 accuracy, we only have a paltry 111 accuracy total which has 28% hit rate on Dordu)

Int 20 (good for abilities to last)

Res 20 (for deflection mainly)

We only use 2 spells in this build. Every other spell it's up to you. We use Arcane Veil and Llengrath's safeguard. DO make sure to get the paladin passives to make you tanky. Don't forget to activate large shield modal as it is necessary against the meteor attacks. 

This is the ai parameters so you don't have to control your character and you can just watch:

self: has concentration (tick not) arcane veil 0cd

always true llengrath's safeguard 90cd

self: health below 50 (tick not) blood sacrifice 5cd

Make sure to eat for Hylea's bounty as it just works so well for this build! Also you need to self kill yourself with necrotic lance to gain acute rash wound  (the best wound to have as it's penalty is so low -5 fortitude, -3 corrode armor) so your rekvu helmet can work

You should have a base of 188 deflection + 50 from arcane veil, armor rating of 22 (slash and shock at 20, corrode at 19, fire and burn armor at 26 because im pale elf), exalted endurance heals for 7hp, bloodmage passive heals for 10hp, ring heals for 6hp, pet heals for 2hp. It's pretty insane how tanky this build is. 

There is also an immortal build by Raven Darkholme there as well as it being able to kill Dorudugan. But there's a possibility a component of the build may be nerfed resulting in the build not working in the future. 

Edited by giftmefood

There is ofc unbroken fighter.

I haven't played them, but trickster rogue should be decently tanky.

Wizzards have some melee tank-spells, IIRC. Personally I can't roll a tank-mage. Their low health-pool just kills the illusion of somebody walking to the enemy saying "gimme be your best shot. I'm protected by Ziggasauraths invisible shield and no sword shall penetrate my silken robe as long as Mr Tiddles - my familiar - is breathing."

I haven't  bothered checking, but I would assume that due to to his habit you could build a decent tanky drug-monk. Probably also a default barbarian or a situational corpse-eater.

Nerf Troubadour!

I did some crazy tanking with a Fighter/Chanter, actually. Soft Winds of Death alternated with Ancient Memory, Constant Recovery, Trollhide Belt and Cloak.... I know there's an armor that gives regen but I don't recall it offhand. Anyways, did that on my Watcher with maxed Constitution and Might. Missed all the time, got hit all the time, didn't really risk dying a lot. Probably could've min maxed it more. Shrug.

For my first completed playthrough, I ran Unbroken/Illusionist as a tribute to the good ol' Gnome Fighter/Illusionist tank in BG2. Trickster would have provided a lot of similar defensive/CC options with somewhat better weapon performance and more health, though you do lose out on the free cast from Reflexive Mirror.

• Like 1