Crash directly when starting the game

Maxxus

Question

So, I bought the game a few weeks ago, played a couple of hours. I switched to another game.

2 weeks ago I reinstalled my PC, and yesterday I reinstalled steam & PoE 2.

Sadly, when I start the game I directly get an error message.

"The game crashed"

I tried reinstalling it on 2 different drives, updated my GPU drivers twice (normal and clean install).

I tried reinstalling Steam, started the game with administrator.

Nothing seems to work.

I cant seem to upload the log files (I am not permitted), but they are available.

Hope to hear soon.

8 answers to this question

Hello Maxxus,

I'm sorry you are having trouble launching Deadfire.  We have had reports of this happening for some folks and all of those users had reported that this was caused by a networking program called Citrix.  Citrix updated their receivers which caused users to have trouble launching some of their Unity based games on Steam.  The same users report that rolling back the update or uninstalling Citrix resolved the issue for them.

Please let me know if this is the case for you or if we need to look into this further Maxxus.

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience you are having.

• Like 2

We have had reports of this happening for some folks and all of those users had reported that this was caused by a networking program called Citrix. 

Holy smokes.  Thanks for the tip, Chinner!

I've always wondered why Deadfire was flaky on a new PC, but solid-as-a-rock on my 2013 warhorse of a laptop...

Flippin' Citrix donking things up.

Edit: The fix in the post below was super-effective!

Edited by Ethics Gradient
  • Like 1

@SChin, for what it's worth, this suggestion did wonders.

Uninstall Citrix, then reinstall the newest version via command line with the above instructions.  It eliminates the Workspace Hub and virtual Casting drivers conflicting with Unity.

Everything seems great with Deadfire 4.1 and Citrix 18.12.

• Like 1

I don't know what to say other than "I love you Ethics <3!"

Aww, thanks!  Glad to help, buddy!

Aside from outright fixing the launch error, getting rid of the Citrix virtual display driver also solved other weirdness like the fact that the Versus Evil logo hasn't displayed normally since November, or the occasional white-screen hang-ups on startup/quit.  Looking back on things, it more-or-less started when Citrix Receiver decided to upgrade itself into the newer Citrix Workspace.

• Like 1

I have mixed feelings!

One side, happy to say I works after I uninstalled Citrix Workspace.

Other side, how can some (seemly) work application make this happen.

O well, looking for an older version for Citrix, I mean, priorities right! (PoE2 > Work)

• Like 2

I have mixed feelings!

One side, happy to say I works after I uninstalled Citrix Workspace.

Other side, how can some (seemly) work application make this happen.

O well, looking for an older version for Citrix, I mean, priorities right! (PoE2 > Work)

Maxxus, there is a posted workaround if you want to use the most recent version of Citrix Workplace.  All it does is remove a virtual display adapter feature that was added in the last couple months.

I had the same problem, and after deleting Citrix and reinstalling it with the method linked above, I'm (please excuse the pun) back in business:p

Edited by Ethics Gradient
  • Like 1

Since it looks like Citrix has started rolling out update 19.03, these issues may start cropping up again.  

The below fix isn't as elegant as this, but it's a lot simpler.  Go into Device Manager, open the properties on the Citrix virtual device, then uninstall it along with the drivers.

pkMzI3Y.png

The problematic "Citrix Casting" feature will still be installed, but without the underlying drivers, it will stop conflicting with Unity games like Deadfire.

• Like 2