Turn-based Suggestion Thread

bleedthefreak

Question

With the reveal of the turn-based mode beta coming in a few days, I thought we should have an easy place for devs to get feedback on the system.

My first piece of feedback after watching the reveal video is it seems like after moving and attacking, or initiating the casting of a spell, the player has to manually click End Turn. This may already be an option, but I suggest if a character has no further actions that can be performed, their turn immediately ends for the sake of brevity. Plus, the sense that you have to click end turn makes me think I'm forgetting to do something. It's a short gameplay clip so I could be misunderstanding, but that's my two cents so far.

10 answers to this question

I'd like the option to reserve or hold back an action until later in the turn order for character with an earlier initiative.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I would be interested to know how they rescale time based stats such as recovery time, helpful/harmful ability duration, damage over time, etc. Specifically, characters with lots of recovery time reduction should be able to attack multiple times per turn, otherwise it's just a wasted skill and everyone should simply dump dexterity and wear the heaviest armor.

The one suggestion I'll give that's pertinent to this particular subforum is that we're going to have to start tagging bug-report threads with the game mode we're playing in. 

I think the subforum idea is the best option. The turn base is a reallly big update/change. Is more maybe 2 subforum because the new patch maybe create bug in normal version too, adn with 2 you have a palce for each mode.

hey everyone!

You guys can do as you wish if it makes it easier for you, but it is definitely easier for me to grab everything from the same source so I don't have to pop in and out of forums/threads/support sites, etc.  I definitely put favor into support@obsidian.net then move on to the general Tech Support forum before moving on to other sources.

Thanks for all the help you've all been doing both prior and post release of Deadfire!

You guys can do as you wish if it makes it easier for you, but it is definitely easier for me to grab everything from the same source so I don't have to pop in and out of forums/threads/support sites, etc.  I definitely put favor into support@obsidian.net then move on to the general Tech Support forum before moving on to other sources.

Is that why there hasn't been much dev attention in the "Patch Beta" subforum lately?  (hint)

Anyhow, I wasn't suggesting a new subforum for the turn-based mode.  I was mostly trying to question why the OP posted this particular observation in the Tech Support area.  Too subtle, I guess?

Is that why there hasn't been much dev attention in the "Patch Beta" subforum lately?  (hint)

Anyhow, I wasn't suggesting a new subforum for the turn-based mode.  I was mostly trying to question why the OP posted this particular observation in the Tech Support area.  Too subtle, I guess?

Too subtle for me, I guess, I didn't catch your meaning.

Since the turn-based mode is a beta, I figured it didn't belong in General and this seemed like the best place for it. Shrug, I guess.

Edited by bleedthefreak

After giving a quick play of the turn based mode I do have one suggestion.  I have been away for a long time (I kinda hate RTwP), but the announcement drew me back.  I made up a chanter real quick with the verse that deals raw damage to enemies in a radius.  Sadly, there was no sort of tooltip or the like in the game to tell me if my ability was actually working.  After some observation I was able to tell that the damage appeared to happen right at the beginning of my turn, but with the camera jumping around it was easy to miss.  Perhaps the damage numbers that pop up could have their source beside them?  That would take a lot of text though, at least in some cases, so I see why that might not work. 

What about icons indicating the type of Damage along with the numbers?  This might make it easier to figure out why someone is taking damage, or even help the player figure out that certain damage types are less effective against certain monsters?  Just a thought.