Forgotten Sanctum: Rekke ambient comment

I've been going through the FS for the first time over the past few days: Great DLC, both in combat and story, and I love the small bits of info sprinkled in everywhere, with quite a few screwed up conclusions.

While there're quite a few notable bits of lore here, one thing that grabbed my attention was an ambient comment Rekke made when entering The Scriptorium, after defeating that memory eating thing, concerning his rescue from the wreckage:

uQ15I5K.png

Now, this is ambient dialogue: I reloaded the area to check a few times and had Serafen talk about a pirate library he took us to in Dunnage, and Eder about a winery near Dyrford we supposedly saved from xaurips. It's easily missed, and even if you take Rekke along, getting this bit of information is fully up to chance, which is oddly fitting for the DLC. Also, all of the ambient remarks seem to be about events the watcher forgot about: Personally, I'd say it could be that defeating the memory eater somehow returned said memory to the party member mentioning it.

To me, this simple comment showed the fundamental impact of the Hand Occult's activities on Eora: Sure, there're dozens of examples all through the halls of people, events and places removed from memory by their actions. But this one shows that even the Watcher had some of his memories erased: when it comes to Rekke, as far as we know, we just happened to find a guy adrift on a piece of flotsam. However, Rekke doesn't just ask what happened to a "friend" we've never had any other hints about: he mentions finding him in the actual wreckage rather than a small piece to cling to, something we definitely never found... right?

Could be that Wael or his Hand is just screwing with us, of course. But for all we know, one of those memory-drained people stuck in the collections could be another Yezuhan we found, removed from existence by the Hand. And we'd never have known.

• Like 5

Now I have a question because I haven't included Rekke as a companion. I could never understand what he said after rescuing him, does that change later or did I need to do something specific to understand him?

After some time passes in-game, he manages to learn passable Aedyran.

• Like 1

Could Rekke be referring to the fact that he has changed quite a bit as a person and is no longer the one found in the wreckage? For instance, the author J. D. Salinger referred to his younger self as "that kid".

Note: this is just a thought. I have not played FS yet and only read this topic because it has Rekke in it; I find Rekke interesting.

• 5 weeks later...

Oh wow, I just finished FS and never noticed this. Also I brought Aloth and Fassina for the flavor dialogue. But knowing the Hand's Occult interference i think this is a very nice little details. It is creepy though, i mean the entire FS DLC is creepy, from the setting and all the experiments.