Eder builds/equips? (Now build advice in general)

As the title says, not sure how to gear Eder, I tried going for max engagement but that seems overkill as he'll usually only manage to pick up 2-3 enemies at most and while he's good at not dying, he doesn't seem as sticky as I'd like for a tank. He's my bud and can't not take him along everywhere though.

Edited by falchen

I build him as tanky Swashbuckler in my recent playthrough. The goal was to make him 5-6 engagement slots and make him really sticky (Defender Stance + Kapana Taga + Reckless Brigandine + Overbearing Guard - Refreshing Defense and so on) and debuff enemies automatically (Persistant Distraction) while doing okish damage (for a tank that is - with Sneak and later Deathblows). It was also my goal to be able to bombard him with wizard nukes (which mostly target reflex) - so I gave him Cadhu Scalth and raised Althletics and Metaphysics. With "The Wall" modal most of those spells won't do much. THen I also gave him Adept Evasion.  

I just unstealthed with him first, waited till the enemies gathered around him, cast Pull of Eora and Miasma on Edér's Head and then bombard him (and his surroundings). Kapana Taga with modal helped to land Miasma on tougher enemies.

I think I never saw an enemy break engagement. Maybe it happened, but it must have been so few that I can't remember.

That way he's not the most defensive tank, but a great mixture of "sticky tank" and a bit of damage.

Oh, and I gave him Pernicious Cloud in the end. That contributed a lot to his damage output. But beware: it's friendly fire and has a huge AoE. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I love doing this with him, it's dumb but it works extremely well: fighter regen + ring of regen + ring of greater regen + troll cape + troll belt + whiteleaf 

That + resistance to every affliction through fighter passives and items, the 30% medium shield resistance, and the rogue reflex and his hp is permanently stuck to max. With a sabre or warhammer and deathblows he can also do respectable dmg.

As far as making things stick, it works this way in my experience: fighter-type enemies never disengage, rogue/barb-type enemies will disengage to pursue low hp or low armor targets. There's nothing you can do to force rogue-type enemies to stay stuck to a tank, ie. no deterrence, only punishment. Just focus them with your dps/cc. The point of a tank is to lock down the pala/fighter types and bosses.

Edited by Nights86

Swashbuckler with Modwyr, Rust's poignard, DoC breastplate, deep wounds, gouging strike, fair favor, some crit equipment and/or survivability. You end up with a resilient frontliner who can stack eager lover and shank without dying. Good constant raw damage for bosses and strong crits. Activate the sword modal if pen is an issue, Eder is sturdy enough to eat a crit or two. Works well with AI if you don't want to micro all 5 members of your team. Looks really cool too.

Edited by Eraflure
  • Like 1

Has anyone had success building him with two handers? Willbreaker in particular seems like it could work nicely to have him soften up targets for the parties CC abilities.

I know no reason it wouldn't work, particularly as a pure Fighter.  Knockdown targets FORT, and you get Clear Out later on, which can apply the Morning Star modal to a group. 

That said, a Rogue's easy access to good Full Attack abilities probably make a two-weapon approach the more attractive option for a damage-driven Rogue or Swashy Eder.

Also Clear Out and its upgrades target Fortitude as well. So you will not only debuff in an AoE with Clear Out/Clean Sweep/Clear the Path but also those abilities will directly profit from it on the next attack. You can do a lot of AoE dmg with that.

Hence Morning Star is one of the best picks for single class fighter in my opinion.

Swashbuckler, with dual swords (Duskfall + Watcher or Modwyr).  Teleport (Escape) to the enemy mages and priests and gouge out their eyes and beat them into the ground.  

For sheer tankiness, heralds are better than Eder can ever dream to be.  But as a swashbuckler Eder has the mobility that the heralds lack, which makes him perfect for spellcaster interrupting.  

Have a cipher provide echoplastic echo on Eder and it's even better.  

Edited by Marigoldran

Swashbuckler, with dual swords (Duskfall + Watcher or Modwyr). Teleport (Escape) to the enemy mages and priests and gouge out their eyes and beat them into the ground.

For sheer tankiness, heralds are better than Eder can ever dream to be. But as a swashbuckler Eder has the mobility that the heralds lack, which makes him perfect for spellcaster interrupting.

Have a cipher provide echoplastic echo on Eder and it's even better.

Who the **** In this thread is talking about heralds?

• Like 1

Didn't you already get one of these rude messages deleted last time by a moderator after I reported you?

My point is simple: Eder isn't the best tank, which is something the OP also mentioned in his post.  Hence, my reasonable suggestion is to have the primary tanking done by something else (like a herald) and have Eder do other useful things.  

I hope that makes things clear.  

Edited by Marigoldran

Didn't you already get one of these rude messages deleted last time by a moderator after I reported you?

My point is simple: Eder isn't the best tank, which is something the OP also mentioned in his post.  Hence, my reasonable suggestion is to have the primary tanking done by something else (like a herald) and have Eder do other useful things.  

The subject of this thread is not "what makes the best tank" it's "best ways to gear Eder specifically." If you're not going to stick to the subject at hand and just inject your own opinions, then you're better off not posting.

• Like 1

"As the murderhobo mantra goes: 'If you can't kill it, steal it.'" - Prince of Lies

If your build for Eder has reasonably high deflection then giving him the Champion’s Helm from SSS results in the occasional free riposte, and it provides an action speed bonus based on the number of enemies engaged. I also prefer giving Eder the Blackened Plate, as the AR lowering aura hits automatically, and the raw damage aura helps provide a minor passive boost to Eder’s DPS.

My point is simple: Eder isn't the best tank, which is something the OP also mentioned in his post. Hence, my reasonable suggestion is to have the primary tanking done by something else (like a herald) and have Eder do other useful things.

The subject of this thread is not "what makes the best tank" it's "best ways to gear Eder specifically." If you're not going to stick to the subject at hand and just inject your own opinions, then you're better off not posting.

The OP mentions Eder being a tank. I found his post relevant as I play Eder similiarly. You guys and this mob mentality smh.

Edited by Verde

My point is simple: Eder isn't the best tank, which is something the OP also mentioned in his post. Hence, my reasonable suggestion is to have the primary tanking done by something else (like a herald) and have Eder do other useful things.

The OP mentions Eder being a tank. I found his post relevant as I play Eder similiarly. You guys and this mob mentality smh.

Before you come rushing in to defend the troll you might want to actually read the thread in question, Verde. No one had a problem with Marigoldran commenting on Eder tank builds. The complaint was about him shoehorning Heralds into every single thread despite them having zero relevance to the thread. It’s impolite and lazy.

Marigoldran’s post was fine and on topic, just runnig someone else as tank or even just several off-tanks is where I’m leaning towards now.

I'm finding that 2 off tanks generally seems to be the way to go in Deadfire. Especially if those 2 can still dish out enough damage to make them dangerous to disengage. In that respect I think Eder does a great job as swashbuckler, especially combined with Pallegina using a 2 hander.

"As the murderhobo mantra goes: 'If you can't kill it, steal it.'" - Prince of Lies

Marigoldran’s post was fine and on topic, just runnig someone else as tank or even just several off-tanks is where I’m leaning towards now.

I'm finding that 2 off tanks generally seems to be the way to go in Deadfire. Especially if those 2 can still dish out enough damage to make them dangerous to disengage. In that respect I think Eder does a great job as swashbuckler, especially combined with Pallegina using a 2 hander.

That was a nice try at pivoting :p

That was a nice try at pivoting :p
I'm confused. What do you mean?

I have never felt any compulsion to run him as anything other than a swashbuckler. Pure fighter and pure rogue have some nice high level powers but nothing eye popping, and their power level scaling is pretty modest.

I typically spec for dual wield early and always keep a dual wield set, but once you start getting superb equipment I give him a weapon and shield set as well (usually Last Word or Kopana Taga). That way you can use him to clog up the battlefield when necessary, or swap to dual wield to dive the backline. Swashbucklers are excellent divers but you don't always need that fight to fight.

Dual wield is ideal for spamming Crippling Strike. Slow weapon in main hand and fast weapon offhand is min-maxed. Pukestabber is great in the off hand for the even faster recovery, but Marux, Acolyte's hatchet, or one of the good flails are good options too.

I wouldn't say that Rogues have no eye-popping high level powers. Vanishing Strike and Gamit for example are very, very good. You could give Edér two hand mortars (yeah, again those things, I know) and do this (single class rogue):

vanishin_strike_assassin.gif?dl=1