Have any of you guys seen this behavior before? At some point my ship boarding battles stopped dropping any gear. The only loot I get is food, the colors of the captain, etc. That includes unique gear -- I just fought Whenana Eel's Kiss and was supposed to get the Apex Ward; no luck.

I've killed quite a few Crookspur slavers; could it be that loot stops dropping once you've killed too many ships?

Edited by TheMetaphysician

There's a bug report in the tech support forum that says that Firgyst (Black Isle Bastards) no longer drops Kapana Taga when boarding (drops normally when sinking the ship).

It seems to be a bug and I guess it's related to your experience.

I never board but always sink ships and I always get all the loot.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Maybe. But I guarantee you can learn to sink any ship with the starting sloop faster than to reload and fight the same boarding fight 10 times. :)

Because naval combat is very easy and allows to sink ships way above your level once you know what you are doing. And it's not much that you have to learn. 5 to 8 basic points maybe. 

Fyrgist dropped Kapana Tanga on the first try for me in the current run of the current beta, but I haven't seen any Vailian Hullbreakers drop at all despite many many re-attempts at boarding the specific ships. Not sure what's causing it.

Actually, checking, Biakara didn't drop Lance of the Midwood Stag for me this run either, not that I needed it.

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

Maybe. But I guarantee you can learn to sink any ship with the starting sloop faster than to reload and fight the same boarding fight 10 times. :)

Because naval combat is very easy and allows to sink ships way above your level once you know what you are doing. And it's not much that you have to learn. 5 to 8 basic points maybe. 

That's true, but you get dramatically less overall loot from naval combat than you do from boarding. I did a comparison run once where I sank everything by naval combat and then went back and boarded everything. I remember that the net difference in revenue was about the price of a galleon (though that may've been before they increased galleon pricing).

Why on earth didn't you just sink them to get the loot instead of reloading 10 times? :woot:

If he's like me, I still don't understand how ship battles work -- I've always boarded, and I'd have to stop and learn how they work with cannons ...

Haha, for sure i know how ship battles work. But killing enemies is just more fun then sink them.

Edited by Kl3in

Done this as Bleak Walker Paladin.

xqsu4dd7.jpg

It's def. not faster than just sinking the ship. That doesn't take 5 minutes.

And even with the best Paladin/Chanter you can't board and win fights against lvl-15 or 16 crews if you are lvl 5. But you can sink them - because char level has no effect on ship combat.

That's true, but you get dramatically less overall loot from naval combat than you do from boarding. I did a comparison run once where I sank everything by naval combat and then went back and boarded everything. I remember that the net difference in revenue was about the price of a galleon (though that may've been before they increased galleon pricing).

Early loot is worth a lot more than late-game loot. 

Moreover, the 4.0 update's endless generic faction ships pretty much eradicate such concerns.  Everyone can now get as much late-game piracy profit as they want, even if they sank all the bounty-target ships when they were level 6.  

Early loot is worth a lot more than late-game loot. 

Moreover, the 4.0 update's endless generic faction ships pretty much eradicate such concerns.  Everyone can now get as much late-game piracy profit as they want, even if they sank all the bounty-target ships when they were level 6.  

Who's ever level 6? You're level five, then you go to Neketaka and do the noncombat quests and you're level 9 :p

Still, good point re: early ship combat. Honestly I'm just trying to figure out how to get vailian hullbreakers now since as far as I can tell they now no longer drop anywhere no matter what you do. 

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

And even with the best Paladin/Chanter you can't board and win fights against lvl-15 or 16 crews if you are lvl 5. But you can sink them - because char level has no effect on ship combat.

Is there a good guide for it? Because i don't understand that naval battle either, i always board the ship, when i am level 16+.

Is there a good guide for it? Because i don't understand that naval battle either, i always board the ship, when i am level 16+.

I don't know about a guide, but here are some recent threads that, collectively, probably contain most of what you need to know on the ship-combat minigame:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/107044-too-poor-to-sail-about-ship-management-and-upgrades/

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/107286-avoiding-instant-death-on-ship/

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/107827-need-help-with-ship-battles/

It doesn't seems that easy to sink ship for me. What's the strategy with the sloop?

It doesn't seems that easy to sink ship for me. What's the strategy with the sloop?

max range with max range cannons. If you mess up and die, reload.

Or for a higher risk strategy with the sloop: max to medium range cannons on one side, and double bronzers on the other. Use the longer range cannons until your enemy gets withhin 350m, jibe, hold, and then finish off the enemy ship with your double bronzers. This strategy does not work well against Rathun Warships, but those usually are not a high priority to take off the map.