9 hours ago, Haljamar said:

I expect Obsidian to give us reliable allies that don't miss every time in path of the damned difficulty.

Wow - every time? You must have done something wrong then.
Do you think that 3 points of PER will significantly increase your companions' chance to hit?

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

10 hours ago, Haljamar said:

If they are going to give us new companions in POE3 I expect Obsidian to give us reliable allies that don't miss every time in path of the damned difficulty. Some companions I would like would be an aumaua blood wizard that could multiclass into paladin or fighter for massive sustainability, a dwarf druid that specializes in fire spells at the cost of corrosion spells who could multiclass into priest or fighter for either team support or more tanking, and a pale elf paladin who could multiclass into wizard or rogue to better serve his dark god Rymrgand. The coastal aumaua  would be from rauatai seeking a way to extend her life and would have the stats of 15 might, 12 constitution, 11 dexterity, 15 perception, 14 intelligence, and 11 resolve. The boreal dwarf druid would be from the white that wends, and would seek to make a peaceful country for all of Hylea's creatures including dragons since that is the god he worships. His stats would be 13 might,17 constitution, 10 dexterity,15 perception, 12 intelligence, and 11 resolve. The pale elf will be from the white that wends as well and seeks to serve as his god's personal assassin for those who have wronged him. His stats would be 16 might, 14 constitution, 12 dexterity, 14 perception, 10 intelligence, and 12 resolve.

This... is oddly specific.

On 1/21/2020 at 8:09 AM, Boeroer said:

Wow - every time? You must have done something wrong then.
Do you think that 3 points of PER will significantly increase your companions' chance to hit?

The beginning was pure hell in POE2 on path of the damned. Eder would keep missing 100% accurate 2 piercing hits even with xoti and myself casting blessing and empowered. Perception would make a huge difference especially with clerical buffs popping on top of that.

On 1/21/2020 at 9:03 AM, Skazz said:

This... is oddly specific.

Similar to with DnD I have character ideas just pop in my head, and those were the 3 I just thought up.

Haljamar said:

The beginning was pure hell in POE2 on path of the damned. Eder would keep missing 100% accurate 2 piercing hits even with xoti and myself casting blessing and empowered

I really never had those issues. At least not with weapon users. It is normal that casters miss a lot of their spells in the early game on PotD if you are not buffing/debuffing meticulously. Especially if they target Fortitude which is usually the highest defense for beasts (which are quite common on the first island).

I don't even use Empower at all in the early game except for refilling class resources. Do you make sure the enemy's flanked before you start to hit him? That's important since it costs nothing but has a big impact. It's -10 deflection (and -1 AR) which is a considerable deflection debuff that early in the game. Together with Disciplined Barrage or Blessing that's the equivalent of +15 ACC. Use a single handed accurate weapon (dagger, spear, rapier or club) for Edér's Knockdowns and he's at an equivalent of +32 ACC. With a non-accurate weapon it's still +27. 

3 points of PER which would mean +3 ACC like in your examples don't matter that much. Not even in the early game where it would have the highest impact. There would be no huge difference. Later on - after some levels - there's hardly any difference from 3 points of PER. So that points may be better spend for otehr stuff like INT or DEX or RES or whatever fits the character.
And after all that's what companions' stats should do: reflect the character. 

However - I would like a Companion or Sidekick with high PER right from the start as well but for other reasons: at the moment you need to have high PER yourself in order to find certain traps and secrets and that's a bit annoying. Once I start a playthrough with an unabservant character I kind of regret it because I have to manually search and disable traps on the ground (if I even remember that there are any). It must be even worse for new players who don't know about this.  

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think that it would be difficult to keep track of all the choices made in the first two games, and that Obsidian should lighten that load with a brand new character in a brand new land, preferrably Yezuha. With the big storm being taken down, there is the potential for even larger culture clashes as Yezuha is introduced to new strangers with strange customs and stranger gods that sometimes possess statues that step on people. Rekke should definitely make an important appearance, if not a main companion. Perhaps he can be some type of welcoming ambassador based on whether the Watcher rescued him or not in the Deadfire. I would also love to have any excuse for Ydwin to become a full companion as she seemed extremely interesting.

• 4 weeks later...

Since the third game will likley be the last (I think it should be the last) all the companions should return, and Obsidian shouldn't introduce many new, if at all. One of the things that developers screw up, is they introduce too many companions, thus creating too much work for later expansions, and sequels. Bioware has this issue in their MMO SWTOR. What happens then, is that the player doesn't get the closure they crave for those older companions, because the newer companions fill in that space with their new stories (e.g. James in Mass Effect 3). One of the biggest complaints that I see in a series of games is lack of closure. Dragon Age, especially Mass Effect. Devs have to remember that in a game, the player drives the story, they create the relations within the confines of the game, so they are invested in the characters. For those reasons, at the very least, Aloth, Eder, and Pallegina need to return.

Edited by Wodehouse_44
grammar etc.

I don't understand why Vela is calling me Captain, my watcher (women) took her as a baby, so she should consider the watcher as her mom and not her captain ????

I wonder if the developpers play their games, if they identify themselves to the watcher as we do... nevermind i know the answer, those sort of problems are recurrent on too much games. It is a fact Devs don't play their games, (except Bioware when they developped Dragon Age Origins).

Edited by fced

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...

A QA dev at Obsidian clocked 5000+ hours of Deadfire. Assuming that devs don't play their own game because you disagree with their decisions or find a bug or an error that they might have missed is kind of silly. Saying that "it is a fact" is extremely silly.    

Concerning your question: Who said that the Watcher did raise Vela? Maybe she was given to a nurse in Caed Nua or to some foster parents?  

19 hours ago, fced said:

I don't understand why Vela is calling me Captain, my watcher (women) took her as a baby, so she should consider the watcher as her mom and not her captain ????

I wonder if the developpers play their games, if they identify themselves to the watcher as we do... nevermind i know the answer, those sort of problems are recurrent on too much games. It is a fact Devs don't play their games, (except Bioware when they developped Dragon Age Origins).

I don't think that this is a question of whether the devs are playing their game.  This seems more like a writing issue, and I'd assume that the writers have the conversation scripts available to read without having to play through the game to check the quality of the writing.  Of course, one assumes that somewhere in the mix, there must be some testers who play the game and check out those scripts vs what the game puts on the screen to see if the scripts were accurately transcribed into the game.

i said devs, i should have said writers... story/dialogs developers, the game creators, right, not the little hands who coded the game (which is working decently on PC)...  in a well made rpg the player identify to the hero, and "develop affinities with companions, npc.." and this is the case in Deadfire, during your story (because it is your story, as it is MINE BOERER) you choose the type of hero you will be, the type relationship you want in your party, the story become yours, and you forget someone created it. They give you some lines, and  you evolve in the RPG universe as you decide.

This is a Role playing game, a game where you play the main role, and choose ...

In POE i didn't trusted twin helms, so i killed everybody hostile to the baby girl, and i took her, because if one had the idea to kill her, may be another would do the same. And if you are the master of a domain like Caed Nua, cleared from any threat, in and out, you will not thrust anybody to raise the baby you saved unless you are a bleak walker.

This is my opinion. this is my POE1 Story. Benevolent with peoples in need, and without pity for any evil peoples and trolls (trolls not ogres ^)..

Edited by fced

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...

It may be your story once you play it, but you can't assume writers or developers can take every idea and opinion you have about yourself and your character (and the characters you interact with) into account. This is no super AI but a mere game. There have to be compromises.

You might imagine that Vela was raised by you as a single mom in Caed Nua who was breastfeeding her while doing Dyrwoodan Aerobic or taking fencing lessons. But maybe the writers had something different in mind - and thus Vela calls you "captain" and not "mom". Too bad for your ideas, but you can't expect developers to read minds. It's a restriction of the medium which cannot react to everything you want to express (unlike a living Dungeon Master at a tabletop game).

Edited by Boeroer

• 5 weeks later...
It's been a while since I last thought about this, and my opinion has evolved a bit.
The companions of previous games, I think they would be Pallegina and Maia.
Then, instead of enjoying the company of Aloth and Eder, we would have Bearn, Eder's "nephew",
and an apprentice to Aloth, either leading the Leaden Key, so much as he intends to destroy it.
Then we would have Vela, who I think would be rogue.
Another partner we could have is Caed Nua's assistant, whom we would help to get a body,
and it could be a cipher.
The rest of our colleagues who join us should be new.
In the meantime, if those of us we already know who did not accompany us, it would be great to help us from afar, 
giving us information and an occasional mission, whether secondary or important.
It would also be great, depending on our past choices, for some of our former teammates to appear as villains.

I don't like people or characters that don't like themselves and wallow in self pity. So I dislike Pallegina the most. If she ever does turn up in the next game, by God let it be as an adversary so I can kill her and be done with it.

I'm not really attached to any of the characters. At all. The only character I liked in the entire series was Grieving Mother. Voiced by one of my fav VA's and her backstory was fascinating.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, AeonsLegend said:

I don't like people or characters that don't like themselves and wallow in self pity. So I dislike Pallegina the most. If she ever does turn up in the next game, by God let it be as an adversary so I can kill her and be done with it.

I'm not really attached to any of the characters. At all. The only character I liked in the entire series was Grieving Mother. Voiced by one of my fav VA's and her backstory was fascinating.

Pallegina was my favorite companion, in large part because I love her accent.  OTOH, GM was one of my least favorite companions in PoE1 because I seriously disliked her text only "quest".

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, AeonsLegend said:

I honestly don't understand how you can enjoy a person who constantly talks about self harm and suicide. Makes me worry for you.

tenor.gif

Jeez. He said he liked her accent. You responded to something nobody said or even indicated. 

Besides that: you are entiteld to your own opinion about Pallegina, but your characterisation is shallow and lacks empathy. Pallegina is like an exemplary mobbing victim. Abused by society, not wanted by her father, injured her mother at birth so she can't bear more children, can't have children herself. Of course she carries some loathing and has problems. I worked in a children's home for abused kids for 13 months when I was young. Couldn't sleep well until I became inured enough to not constantly think about their fate and what they went through. If those kiddos all turned out to be like Pallegina then that would be a great thing.  

Edited by Boeroer
typo
  • Like 4

He said she was his favorite companion. You can throw it off and ignore she's a broken individual in that regard. I do not. That's like saying you enjoy having poop around the house because you like the color brown. If I say "but it stinks" I cannot because you didn't bring up the stink part? Come on. Things aren't only about what you see.

But you are also entitled to your opinion. If I choose to form an adventuring party I would not pick a person who cannot respect themselves and others. Even in real life, because their destructiveness would make the group less and perhaps even endanger that. Empathy means nothing if it means it allows harm to others around you.

On 4/18/2020 at 12:04 PM, AeonsLegend said:

You "don't like people or characters that don't like themselves and wallow in self pity" but the only character you liked was Grieving Mother? What?

• Like 5

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

5 hours ago, AeonsLegend said:

He said she was his favorite companion. You can throw it off and ignore she's a broken individual in that regard. I do not. That's like saying you enjoy having poop around the house because you like the color brown. If I say "but it stinks" I cannot because you didn't bring up the stink part? Come on. Things aren't only about what you see.

But you are also entitled to your opinion. If I choose to form an adventuring party I would not pick a person who cannot respect themselves and others. Even in real life, because their destructiveness would make the group less and perhaps even endanger that. Empathy means nothing if it means it allows harm to others around you.

Favorite characters/companions aren't only about liking the personality of the character in question.  Sometimes, unlikeable characters are good characters/companions.  Also, not everyone responds to the personalities of other people (or companions in a game) in the same way.  Let me give you a little example that I literally just read last night.

In the 1960's movie, The Sound of Music, the lead actor, Christopher Plummer, didn't like lead actress, Julie Andrews.  Why?  Apparently, he didn't like that JA was so incredibly nice and cheery all the time, saying that she was like a Valentine's Day card all the time and it really grated on his nerves.  Now, I think that lots of people would really like that sort of person, but CP didn't.

Anyways, I personally think that you're taking this entirely too far.  I take all companions and sidekicks into my overall group, though I don't use them all.  I like having them in the larger group because it allows me to have a ship's crew with more firepower than just the core party of 5.  But I also tend to rotate certain companions/sidekicks into the main party, to deal with situations I feel my current party isn't well suited to face.  For example, if I'm not using Pallegina in my regular core party but I'm heading to a place I know is infested with fampyrs, I tend to rotate her in and someone else out, because I just like what Pallegina brings in battles against famps (mostly the Aegis of Loyalty ability).  But that's just me.

17 hours ago, algroth said:

You "don't like people or characters that don't like themselves and wallow in self pity" but the only character you liked was Grieving Mother? What?

Touche. Although I think the word wallow has different meaning to us. Perhaps the fact that GM is looking for redemption as opposed to Pallegina basically already having given up and becoming a bitch because of that makes the difference to me. The stories are completely different. Pallegina hates herself for who she is and everything relatd to it. GM hates what she did and what she had become. Although they may sound similar, they are very different.

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 5:04 PM, AeonsLegend said:

My first Playthrough included Pallegina, and I really disliked her. She was not like this in PoE1, not that much at least.

And it was so annoying to avoid messing with the Valians because of her.

Eventually I sided with the Rautais, and I had to face her as "Final Boss". Haha, good fun !

6 minutes ago, Elric Galad said:

My first Playthrough included Pallegina, and I really disliked her. She was not like this in PoE1, not that much at least.

And it was so annoying to avoid messing with the Valians because of her.

Eventually I sided with the Rautais, and I had to face her as "Final Boss". Haha, good fun !

Her background wasn't as apparant in POE1. I think they just wanted to "flesh" her out. At any rate I tend to deal positively with the Glanfathans and not go with the Ducs orders and Pallegina basically hints that she wants to do this as well. She wants to not follow the Ducs orders. Then in Deadfire she's like: "I got ousted and you did this to me!". I think there's a special place in hell for people that put the blame on others like that and never stand up to their own choices. That and the fact she seems dedicated to end the Gods existence because she had a crappy childhood. Also, as if they did this to her. She externalizes everything and puts herself as a victim. You want to move on? You have to stop seeing yourself as a victim.

And her hate for herself as a Godlike. I think this may have been Obsidians way of incorporating transgenders perhaps. And although I dislike Pallegina, I think it isn't far off in terms of the plight. Wanting to be something you're not. That's messed up, and I mean that in a positive way. Because it introduces a lot of hardship on the person.

At any rate it all boils down to her being this bitchy tag-along that no one can get along with. If I had to travel to dangerous lands and fight unimaginable evil I rather not take someone along with that kind of bagage. She can join Durance in the beyond.

7 minutes ago, AeonsLegend said:

Her background wasn't as apparant in POE1. I think they just wanted to "flesh" her out.

Agree on that. But the fleshing was not great IMHO. 

That and the fact she seems dedicated to end the Gods existence because she had a crappy childhood. Also, as if they did this to her. She externalizes everything and puts herself as a victim.

Technically, they did. Godlikes are strongly suggested to be created by gods.

You want to move on? You have to stop seeing yourself as a victim.

At this point in her life, she even doesn't have many problems, apart for being sterile and not being able to wear helmet. Some may find her weird, but some others will basically look up to her special status.
It's not like she was a Godlike of Ryrmgand for example. And Vatnir clearly doesn't complain as much. In spite of his cowardice, he seems better at looking at the bright side and coping with his condition...

She can join Durance in the beyond.

Durance has a least a style.

1 minute ago, Elric Galad said:

Technically, they did. Godlikes are strongly suggested to be created by gods.

True, but they're not to blame for what happened to her.

1 minute ago, Elric Galad said:

At this point in her life, she even doesn't have many problems, apart for being sterile and not being able to wear helmet. Some may find her weird, but some others will basically look up to her special status.

She hates that even more.