If there will be poe3 I'd prefer seeing more fresh faces. I'll welcome the return of Eder (and probably Aloth as they share the same VA anyway) but for others...well, I want to see characters with backgrounds and views different from already existing ones.

It depends on where the potential next game would take place though, I wouldn't mind having Zahua back in Ixamtl Plains etc.

I'm not really a fan of the idea of companions in base. It would feel like lost potentials for me, just the way the sidekicks do. I will constantly wonder how those companions would react if I could actually take them out for the journey. A few references or even side quests for companions in 1 and 2 would be nice though.

My must-have companions would be Aloth (especially if he is a relationship with the watcher, plus his story still has a long, long way to go ... also he's my favourite companion from both POE games), Rekke (his conversation in Ukaizo points to Yezuhan civilization being potential villains in the next game, so he definitely needs to be a main character in the next instalment), Tayn (just because he would have so much fun winding up the other companions, and his character has a lot of potential) and Ydwin (her story seems unfinished, plus she takes over Pallegina's pro-animancy stance).

As cameos in the stronghold, I would have Eder with Bearn, and Fassina with Konstantin because I really want to see how their relationships develop. I would like Vela to have more of a role in the stronghold, since it would be her home. Vatnir could possibly have a role in the stronghold as well, as it would be great to see him turn his life around, plus I think there could be more Rymrgand action in the next installment?

Personally, I think Pallegina, Tekehu, Serafen, Xoti & Maia's stories have come to an end, and would like to see them replaced with new characters for PO3.

Edited by hrprwildunicorn
  • Like 1

My must-have companions would be Aloth (especially if he is a relationship with the watcher, plus his story still has a long, long way to go ... also he's my favourite companion from both POE games), Rekke (his conversation in Ukaizo points to Yezuhan civilization being potential villains in the next game, so he definitely needs to be a main character in the next instalment), Tayn (just because he would have so much fun winding up the other companions, and his character has a lot of potential) and Ydwin (her story seems unfinished, plus she takes over Pallegina's pro-animancy stance).

As cameos in the stronghold, I would have Eder with Bearn, and Fassina with Konstantin because I really want to see how their relationships develop. I would like Vela to have more of a role in the stronghold, since it would be her home. Vatnir could possibly have a role in the stronghold as well, as it would be great to see him turn his life around, plus I think there could be more Rymrgand action in the next installment?

Personally, I think Pallegina, Tekehu, Serafen, Xoti & Maia's stories have come to an end, and would like to see them replaced with new characters for PO3.

these points are all fair. ydwin taking over from pallegina pretty smart. rekkes almost a given if yezuhas a destination. TAYNE being a party member might be pushing it, but id like to see more of the archmages. i enjoy their antics.

wed better get a third opportunity to kill concelhaut and keep his skull.

i was really surprised at how much i liked having vatnir around. he, rekke and ydwin are all adrift, one way or another, and its easy to imagine them following the watcher for lack of anything else to do.

i like the idea of the watcher being a place where the misfits of eora can find purpose and respite.

• Like 3

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

Aloth's story was pretty much over the moment he burned Thaos' robes or took his place. His quest in Deadfire was pretty much meaningless and contributed nothing to the story. Also, it seems like he learned nothing from the previous game, which is unfortunate because he was one of my favorites. 

The only two characters that should've returned in Deadfire are Eder and Durance. Durance's story wasn't finished and it would've been cool seeing him interact with Eothas and Waidwen. I wanted to see him gloat about blowing up Eothas right to his face  :verymad:

IMO, for POE3 It should be Eder, Rekke and Xoti. 

• Like 1

in my opinion:

Need new faces

+dwarf male

+pale elf female

+godlike

but, just create PoEIII <3

I want to see a very stereotypical dwarven male, who would probably be a fighter or priest or fighter/priest.  IMO, he ought to be a bit surly, but not so much so that he comes off as evil or nasty.  But on top of that, a dwarven male companion would need a voice that really, REALLY sounded deep and rough, sort of like John Rhys Davies, though not necessarily with the Scottish accent.

For a new godlike, I'd prefer to see either a Fire GL or maybe a Moon GL.  I get a little tired of having GLs companions that are not player playable.  I'd kind of like a Fire GL to be of a class or multiclass where fire synced up well with  the Fire GL subrace, maybe a paladin or wizard, or possibly a monk.  As for a Moon GL, maybe a priest or a Kind Wayfarer or Shieldbearer paladin.

As for a pale elven female, I'd just keep Ydwin around and promote her to companion status.  She's interesting.

Rekke is definitely coming back if there is a pillars 3 coming.  If you take him to Ukaizo, he will ask to stay with you.  There also a bunch of hints near the end of the game and in the last DLC that Yezuha will play a big role in the coming years.

It seems like a given that if POE3 is set in Yezuha (aka "Rekke-land"), then Rekke will be coming along, since it seems to me that the preface to such a story would probably be the Watcher taking Rekke home.

Probably too much to ask for but I'd like the option to choose between at least 2 from each class, so you don't always have to run with a similar group of people. Plus with all the sacrificing and killing of party members in PoEI and PoEII you could end up with very few options. I think PoEIII will be a fast forward into the future with a new "watcher" and allies. Or maybe not even a watcher, but something else.

Edited by AeonsLegend
  • Like 1

I hope there is no romance-able companion in poe 3 or maybe try not to make most single character is playersexual because its lazy writing. And also they should make female companion more beauty.

I would prefer that they put romance with Pallegina. XD

She deserve love.

I hope there is no romance-able companion in poe 3 or maybe try not to make most single character is playersexual because its lazy writing. And also they should make female companion more beauty.

I would prefer that they put romance with Pallegina. XD

She deserve love.

Alas, Gina is in a tumultuous, all-consuming, abusive, but passionate relationship with the Vailian Republics.  She has neiher time nor place in her heart for some silly little Watcher. 

As for theoretical companions of theoretical PoE3, I'd prefer all new crew. But Eder can stay. Eder can always stay.  :cat:

The romances in Deadfire are horrible...Obs should avoid writing them at all costs haha.

• Like 3

I would like to see Eder, Ydwin, Rekke, Fassima and, of course,  Vela.

Whichever characters we see again, there should be some evidence of character arc. E.g., if Eder only wants to pet the rabbits, I think an opportunity will have been missed (not that he shouldn't want to pet the rabbits, but he should want other things too). Fassima should lose her defeated outlook and  turn into a major badass etc.

We had a whole thread on Vela already. I think Pillars 3 needs to happen if only just to realize the events outlined in the Vela thread.

• Like 2

I would like to see Eder, Ydwin, Rekke, Fassima and, of course,  Vela.

Whichever characters we see again, there should be some evidence of character arc. E.g., if Eder only wants to pet the rabbits, I think an opportunity will have been missed (not that he shouldn't want to pet the rabbits, but he should want other things too). Fassima should lose her defeated outlook and  turn into a major badass etc.

We had a whole thread on Vela already. I think Pillars 3 needs to happen if only just to realize the events outlined in the Vela thread.

In fact, it would be great, that Vela was part of your group, but depending on what you did with her in the first game, she had a different personality depending on her past.

• Like 1

In fact, it would be great, that Vela was part of your group, but depending on what you did with her in the first game, she had a different personality depending on her past.

im reminded that there was a precedent for this. kara from phantasy star III becomes an entirely different character depending on your choices in prior generations. 

obv implementing this in an obs style crpg would require herculean effort on devs part, while PSIII has to change relatively little.

is still amusing that it once happened. there prob other, more recent, examples but this was the first that came to mind.

• Like 1

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

im reminded that there was a precedent for this. kara from phantasy star III becomes an entirely different character depending on your choices in prior generations. 

obv implementing this in an obs style crpg would require herculean effort on devs part, while PSIII has to change relatively little.

is still amusing that it once happened. there prob other, more recent, examples but this was the first that came to mind.

It could probably be done with about the same level of effort as the other companion characters. They have the reputation system. Vela could start the game with a partial reputation profile that depends on the previous games and then develop similar to the other characters.

Gonna make a bit of a rundown here as to my thoughts about how likely it is to see each companion from the past games to return for the next one, based on my expectations of what a third Pillars would be tackling in terms of conflict and themes. So basically with Deadfire we're left with a major conflict at hand which is the Wheel having literally been destroyed, and kith and gods alike needing to figure out a way to rebuild it so that souls can once again pass to their next lives and so on so forth. Naturally I'd expect the third game to deal with this conflict... But from a thematic standpoint also deal with the relationship between gods and men, of the move towards a more secular and humanist society as the past connection between the aforementioned two is reexamined and reevaluated, or maybe even restated depending on the Watcher's choices leading into the creation of this new "Wheel" and so on. So, if so I expect more involvement with gods, more debates about religion, animancy and general existentialist stuff, more Watcher shenanigans and so on (though it may well be me expecting what I'd *want* to see instead, as it is what I love most about this saga... But I digress).

So, with this in mind, here's the list of companions ranked from most to least likely as far as I see it, with an explanation for each...

(As a small caveat I'll mention that I haven't played any of the DLCs for Deadfire yet, so I don't know Vatnir at all nor have I seen any of the new stuff for the other sidekicks and so on)

• Eder: He's the franchise's mascot, for better or worse, and I cannot imagine him *not* being in another game involving the Watcher. Initially I reckoned he'd have a little more at stake with the conflict of Deadfire given it's *Eothas* of all beings that we're chasing, but that was rather underused or underdeveloped... So I don't exactly see a thematic link with this third part beyond general Eothasian beliefs/faith keeping him doing what was Eothas' will, and maybe the fact that he is one of those few who knows straight from the horse's mouth what the gods truly are. Same could be said about any of the other companions, but he seemed especially affected by the revelation.
  • Aloth: Semi-mascot status, I suppose. As a character that holds a deep relationship with the Leaden Key either way, he seems rather primed to have an investment in the events that would potentially change the relationship between gods and kith forever. The Leaden Key for one would definitely have an interest in influencing that process in some form or other. Besides, whether or not he continues his work dismantling/reforming the cult at the end of Deadfire, it still leaves him in a perfect position to pop up elsewhere in the world *or* follow the Watcher in a new adventure that may also further whatever goals he now has.
  • Ydwin: Ever since she was announced as a potential eighth companion she's grown to be something of a fan favourite, and given that she never quite received a full companion treatment the devs could maybe fulfill that part by her inclusion in the next game. Regardless, her conflict, her interests and her profession seem especially poignant for what is going on currently in Eora. Already before Eothas did His part bringing down the Wheel, she'd found a way to remove herself of it, and this places her as both a character far more aware of the inner workings of the Wheel and reincarnation system than any of the other companions thus far, and with a pretty singular stance on the matter too. Much like Pallegina, Maia, Serafen and Tekehu were the voices of their respective factions in Deadfire she could be something of a voice for animancy or the more secular side of the argument going into the third game... Or maybe just another view within several relating to this matter.
  • Kana: There's a pretty massive gulf between the top three, who I think are all likely or at least possible, and the rest of these who I feel are more likely *not* to appear instead. Of these I'm not sure why Kana's the most likely, but I reckon it's because he's the one with the greatest combination of autonomy and motivation to join the Watcher in a new adventure if it should so happen. As a student of lore he's likely to want to observe and record this particular historical event from as close as he possibly can, and how better than with the figure seemingly at the centre of this conflict? Add to this that he's something of a fan favorite too.
  • Xoti: Xoti's motivations to follow the Watcher are somewhat similar to Edér's - potentially strong relationship with the Watcher (especially if they are lovers and so on), a follower of Eothas doing the last of Eothas' will, decent autonomy and so on. She could possibly take a stance rather opposite to Ydwin's own, or maybe a more positive take on the influence of religion and the freedom of belief following Eothas' own desires for kith, whilst opposing another more dogmatic or gods-fearing character and so on. My concerns about her are whether we *need* two representatives of Eothas in the first place, and whether she is liked enough by the community or is interesting enough as a character to justify a return (granted, this last bit can be applicable to Kana too).
  • Rekke: Again, people have seemed to taken pretty closely to Rekke, and the fact that he's basically learning of the rest of Eora from the Watcher's hand places him a little closer to his adventures than the likes of other sidekicks, who as fun as they are don't really have much of a motivation to follow the Watcher around. But this would also assume Rekke was taken in as a sidekick and the Watcher actually took time to talk and explore Rekke's past and whatnot - which could well not be the case, and then he'd have little reason to be attached to the Watcher in the first place. Rekke's own relevance to the conflict I outlined before is negligible too, I feel, which doesn't help matters. I can actually see a scenario where he comes back as an NPC of sorts in whatever stronghold we set up this time around than an actual companion, kind of how the OP was suggesting.
  • Hiravias: Plenty of autonomy and a connection with the overarching themes of the Pillars franchise given his faith for Wael and the way in which in the first game he was something of a voice for the debate about the *logic* of men opposed to the logic of gods and so on. Maybe his part of the dicussion is done at this point, but regardless I always found his character to have some of the most interesting and perspicacious takes in all matters religious in the first game and, indeed, the saga as a whole. On the other hand he doesn't seem someone who is awfully concerned with the "current affairs of Eora" and seems to only join you the first time around on something of a whim which happens to be convenient to him in the long run. He could appear but I don't feel like he'd have a specific motivation to be wherever the game takes place in or to actively seek out the Watcher for that matter.
  • Pallegina: Dunno what to make of her really. She was something of a fan favorite in the first game and people looked forward to seeing (and romancing, RIP) her in Deadfire, but I for one was quite lukewarm about her treatment in the sequel and haven't seen much love elsewhere either. Regardless, by the end of Deadfire she's either pardoned by the Ducs and reinstated into the Brotherhood, or banished forever, and all that leads after seems very final and I just don't see why she'd have any reason to return, or any motivations that wouldn't simply feel tacked on. As a godlike and a hard atheist she could have some investment in the conflict in that regard, but nothing unique enough to justify her specific presence the way it would Ydwin, for example.
  • Tekehu: He's great, but again, I don't see much reason or personal motivation for him to be in a sequel or to really leave the Deadfire Archipelago anyways. It feels like his story, and his part within the Watcher's story, is done.
  • Maia: Maia was a mistake. Far as I'm concerned, nothing gelled about her character whatsoever, her "arc", such as there was one, went nowhere, her views seemed contradictory, she seemed to exist in Deadfire to be a voice for Rauatai and little else. Unless the followup happens in Rauatai itself I don't see her making an appearance, and even if it does I don't see why we wouldn't be better off having Kana instead.
  • Serafen: Great, hugely likable character, but already in Deadfire his relationship to the story and conflict felt tangential at best, and was likely the loosest faction representative we had too. His character arc was satisfying within its own little microcosm but it's not something that seemed terribly interesting or relevant in the greater scheme of things, the way some others were. Much like Hiravias I also feel like he didn't have much of a personal motivation for following the Watcher in the first place (opposite to Hiravias, he was kind of forced into it), and by the end of the game he doesn't seem to have any real motivations to leave the Deadfire or the pirate's life. All in all I'm glad we had him in Deadfire but I don't see him returning nor would I miss him in a sequel either.
  • Mirke/Fassina/Konstanten: I have very little to say about all these because I didn't invest much time with them. Based on my limited experience with them, they're all colourful enough characters with enough autonomy to follow the Watcher in a new adventure if they so wished, but with no real hook to do so off the top of my head beyond a mere "they tagged along". So, in theory there's nothing preventing them from returning, I just don't see why the devs would bother.
  • Sagani: Like Pallegina, her arc is done. Unless the third game involved Naasitaq in some fashion I see absolutely no reason for Sagani to return.
  • Maneha/Zahua: Grouping these two because the reasoning is pretty similar as the above - basically their arcs are done. And they don't even have a setting to justify their return either.
  • Durance: Ignoring the obvious reason that the character was created and written by Avellone, if I'm not mistaken Eld Engrim also suggests early on that Durance died by the time of Deadfire's events. It's a shame as no doubt he was one of the richest characters in the first game in terms of both lore and relationship to the story/themes that still drive the saga to this point, but for what it's worth his arc was also pretty concluded by that point.
  • The Grieving Mother: Everything I wrote about Durance applies to the Grieving Mother too, only that I feel her existence was way more self-contained and her arc was also given a much clearer conclusion than Durance's. If Avellone was still around I could have seen a potential return of Durance in a sequel, but never of the Grieving Mother.
  • The Devil of Caroc: She's dead, Jim. At least she made for a good breastplate.
Edited by algroth
  • Like 3

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

stuff...

Don't really agree with most of what you posted, but to each their own opinion. Like I said before I think it'd be a huge mistake to continue the watcher story and keep the stale old companions. It'd be far more interesting to step a bit into the future and see the results from Eothas from that perspective. with a different main character that has a link to what's going on in a different capacity. Maybe a watcher, maybe something else as a result of PoE2 story. It'd be refreshing because there's so much that could be different and things to discover. Some things are just meant to be pondered and not experienced to be effective.

With regards to the companions.

Eder was mildly amusing, but became a charicature of himself in PoE2

Aloth was a good wizard in the first game, but became some sort of self rightious prick in PoE2. Please begone.

Nothing to say about Durance, he's dead in all my playthroughs.

Grieving Mother actually has something to add for future games. She's the only one that can link on a deeper level to a watcher. If we follow another watcher or similar type of being (which I think we should) then she can definitely be there. Maybe not as a party member, but she can definitely do something other than follow you around like the others.

Pallegina, I actually liked her in PoE, but I dispised her in PoE2.

Hiravias. Sure he was fun, but meh. Why have him along for more?

Sagani. That was pretty much done with. She was interesting as a sidekick, but since that story is finished she can't really add anything because she has no link to the main plot or watchers.

Kana. He was as much meh as meh could be. Loved his voice acting though.

None of the new PoE additions really worked for me and the PoE2 ones are ok, nothing special except for maybe Ydwin.

I'd like companions to be a bit more invested into the main story other than "Oh yea I was here doing nothing so now I guess I'll just follow you around and put my life on the line for no apparant reason whatsoever." That's basically every character in the game except for maybe Durance (Can't believe I'm saying this!!) and Grieving Mother. The others have no reason whatsoever to follow you. At least not for a considerable amount of time.

Edited by AeonsLegend
  • Like 2