Does party assist work outside dialogue?

Hi all,

I am kinda confused about party assist. I have rogue character and of course he needs 3 damned skills to be developed, as I want him to be what rogues are in other games. He needs mechanic, sleight of hand and stealth. Of course it is absolutely impossible to have all  skills. And Obsidian made it in way it is absolutely useless to have sleight of hands without stealth. Additionally you may need stealth for battles as it gives nice attack bonuses, but it is absolutely impossible to use it when there are enormous vision cones and absolutely outrageous hearing distances. And here I tried to use party assist. For test on level up I added 1 point stealth to all my party members. My main character stealth is 3, party members - 4, so it shows total 7. But I see this number only during level up. And it simply does not seem change anything. Before level up I had 2 stealth, after it 7 (supposedly) and it does not change a sh... thing! So, I am totally confused, does that party assist works outside scripted interactions? And if it does how it is possible 4 points of skills do not make any change? And is rogue a viable character at all? I am asking this, because you can have high mechanics without have a rogue in party (for example a cipher) and if all bonuses from being rogue boil down to a single stealth attack at the beginning of fight, it simply does not worth it.

Is Sleight of Hand worth it? I always focus on Mechanics and Stealth.

It helps alot to rob people, especially at the beginning of game. Some people say you can have unique items by stealing. Anyway it seems 8 sleight of hand is enough, but with about 18 mechanics and 20 stealth, this is damn impossible.

P.S. By the way I performed some experiment and probably have an answer. In short: it does not do a sh... anything.

First I chose some path with guards and measured how long my character can walk without detection. Then I added 1 point to stealth and measured it again. It added about 2 meters. Then I added 1 stealth points to rest of my party and guess what - it added nothing. Not a centimeter. I don't know about dialogues, but outside them party assist does not do anything.  

I feel rouge is best when used as a multiclass. It gets enough single target damage with relatively few abilities.

Sneak attack and deathblows proc more often than not, esp with persistent distraction and the rogue being able to refresh deathblows via crippling strike for only 1 guile. U can chuck in low effort passives like deep wounds and dirty fighting to strengthen ur basic attacks. Blowing up a high priority target with shadowing beyond and backstab is often handy.

Feel you get diminishing returns from going too deep into rogue tree - esp once u start running into enemies with 'minolettas profoundly annoying defensive spell' or whatever its called

Then again im a goon who only plays in vetetan/upscaled so u might want to take a gander at the builds section to see what the big boys have come up with. my current characters a swashbuckler and shes doing her job as a solid deeps character who can bother squishy targets to the wheel.

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

Sending ur character on solo sneaking missions is a thing u can do - if u want to be solid snake - but if ur splitting one character 3 ways between stealth sleight and mechanics u might want to make friends with the relevant consumables and equipment like thiefs putty and stuff. think ull still need one character with maxed out mechanics (ie about 12-13) to make sure u can crack *everything*.

U can also beraths blessings one off to get that double skill bonus thing. That might help.

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

Is Sleight of Hand worth it? I always focus on Mechanics and Stealth.

It helps alot to rob people, especially at the beginning of game. Some people say you can have unique items by stealing. Anyway it seems 8 sleight of hand is enough, but with about 18 mechanics and 20 stealth, this is damn impossible.

P.S. By the way I performed some experiment and probably have an answer. In short: it does not do a sh... anything.

First I chose some path with guards and measured how long my character can walk without detection. Then I added 1 point to stealth and measured it again. It added about 2 meters. Then I added 1 stealth points to rest of my party and guess what - it added nothing. Not a centimeter. I don't know about dialogues, but outside them party assist does not do anything.  

I think adding '1' to a party member doesn't increase their assist (even in convo) - it might be '2' or '3' points before they can add '1' to the party pool as it were.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat: