Hai!

Just had a PoE 1 marathon, were i played a ranged glass cannon cipher with a warbow on potd. 

It was a lot of fun, but running around in some random rags(armor) i found at the start of the game,

until i got around to doing white march for durgan steel, wasn't that appealing. hard to feel bad ass standing around in rags :p

So for my first play through of PoE 2, i wanted to try something different

My idea was that i would try a melee glass cannon Fighter(devoted) for armored grace and the armor penetration/critical buffs.

But i also want to mutliclass it with something since martial seem to benefit a lot from having multiple resource pools and passives

My Watcher's main focus would be to deal a lot of single target damage, so i can count on him handling boss-like monsters

My question then is, what to multiclass it with, any tips or suggestions would be most welcome!

Hai!

Just had a PoE 1 marathon, were i played a ranged glass cannon cipher with a warbow on potd. 

It was a lot of fun, but running around in some random rags(armor) i found at the start of the game,

until i got around to doing white march for durgan steel, wasn't that appealing. hard to feel bad ass standing around in rags :p

So for my first play through of PoE 2, i wanted to try something different

My idea was that i would try a melee glass cannon Fighter(devoted) for armored grace and the armor penetration/critical buffs.

But i also want to mutliclass it with something since martial seem to benefit a lot from having multiple resource pools and passives

My Watcher's main focus would be to deal a lot of single target damage, so i can count on him handling boss-like monsters

My question then is, what to multiclass it with, any tips or suggestions would be most welcome!

Devoted/zerker is nice using Amra 2h axe, DoC breastplate (to get rid of confusion) .... see the all-AI potd thread for that guy's suggestions on how to build it, was pretty good.

Devoted/zerker is nice using Amra 2h axe, DoC breastplate (to get rid of confusion) .... see the all-AI potd thread for that guy's suggestions on how to build it, was pretty good.

Thanks!  sounds pretty nice, will take a look

if anyone else have more suggestions that would be great as well

Rogues. They are VASTLY improved in PoE2 and meet your single target DPS criteria.

You could go single Trickster, or multi Streetfighter with martial classes or a Mindstalker. All fun, and potent.

I second that advice. Rogues are great - Streetfighter for offence or trickster for offense/defense mix.

Barbarians feel very weak in Deadfire next to rogues. Only at the highest levels (with Blade Thirst and Brute Strenght) they start to be competitive.

Edited by Haplok

Ahh, trickster and streetfighter sounds very interesting, seems like it fits my criteria's well.

I'll probably run Eder as a swashbuckler though so i'm slightly leaning towards something else, just to get some more diversity and experience with classes in PoE 2

Some ideas for multiclass pairings with Devoted based on your criteria of high single target dps:

• Cipher (Soulblade): Soul annihilation is still very strong, soul whip adds weapon damage, and the Cipher has several good self-buffs. You can use a pike or quarterstaff to fight behind your tank, or go for dual wielding or 2 handed weapons.
  • Chanter (Skald): This is less single target focused, but so much fun. Skald synergizes very well with Disciplined Strikes for extra crit chance, and most of the offensive invocations hit hard and want you to be next to the enemy, while the chants can help keep you alive. Gives a great battlemage feel.
  • Ranger (Stalker): Lots of accuracy boosts and if you work with your pet to target the same enemy you can take it down fast.
  • Paladin (Bleak Walker): Flames of Devotion doesn't hit like it used to but is still good, and Sworn Enemy boosts your damage versus one target. Probably the most durable option on this list.
  • Monk (Helwalker): Monk has a lot of strong abilities for boosting damage if you can handle the whole wound mechanic. I've never liked it, but it's still one of the strongest multiclass options so you can't go wrong here.

Other people have already mentioned Barbarian and Rogue which are also really solid. Honestly, the devs have balanced the classes well enough by now that unless you're setting out for a very specific type of build or function you really can make pretty much anything work. In your case I would stick to one of the more martial classes just based on what you're looking to do with your character.

If Fighter/Rogue really appeals to you but you're avoiding it because of Eder already being that then maybe check out the Deadfire Tweaks mod on the Nexus. It has several options for giving Eder different classes, so you could play a Swashbuckler yourself without feeling like he's stealing your spotlight.

• Like 1

I would seriously think about a single class Devoted with a Morning Star. With max INT. Why?

Because once you get Clear Out (and then upgrade to Clean Sweep) you can do Body Blows in a huge AoE (Clean Sweep's AoE has no indicator but it's huuuge with high INT).

Why Body Blows?

a) it's a great debuff to Fortitude that lots of party members can profit from, especially in an AoE.

b) Clear Out/Clean Sweep itself targets Fortitude. You will generate tons of crits after debuffing Fort by 25 and then keep on using it. While doing AoE melee damage (better than any Barb) in the meantime.

If you have party members who can weaken in an AoE (lower Fort even further by 10) and cause frighten (for Willbreaker's Enchantments) then single class Devoted is a great pick.

And Body Blows starts to be useful from lvl 1 on because Knockdown/Mule Kick also targets Fortitude. This is a good way of doing CC/interrupts reliably in the early game.

It really starts to shine after getting Clear Out and then Clean Sweep though.

Another superpowerful (and momentarily broken) variant is to pick Great Swords and then use the Whispers of the Endless Paths. Atm using Clear Out or Clean Sweep with it results in instadeath of all hit enemies (even if it's only a single one) because it creates an endless loop (AoE triggers AoE and repeat). I expect this to be fixed asap - but AoE * AoE will stay being awesome even if the loop gets fixed. Even if fixed (like it was before) it's like a nuke on mobs - for only 2 Discipline.

Wearing Gauntlets of Discipline will give you one more use of Clear Out/Clean Sweep which is better than most other gloves can give you.

In these two cases (Morning Star and WotEP) it's not clear which is better: Tactical Barrage (more INT means bigger AoE means more foes means more crits + 1 PL) or Disciplined Strikes (25% crit conversion). I tend to pick Tactical Barrage to be honest. I think overall it's better in these "AoE" cases. More PL also means more base dmg.

I'd use Cleaving Stance. It works very well with Clear Out/Clean Sweep.

Also try Chopping Wood (only if you like to use Empower). 100% crit conversion with an empowered Clean Sweep is great. Really. You can add those other abilities for Empower-improvement.

Only use Clear Out/Clean Sweep and Mule Kick as active abilities (maybe Penetrating Strike for really high fort enemies). You don't want many actives to compete for Discipline. Choose passives instead.

If you like Empower pick Great Soul (+1 uses) and later use the Mask of the Weyc (another +1) for 6 Empower uses per rest. Together with Chopping Wood... bonkers. ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Depends. Do you like Marmite?

If so, I suggest going single-class chanter.

[i'm testing a theory that people who like Marmite, like single-class chanters]

Edited by Frak

Nerf Troubadour!

It really starts to shine after getting Clear Out and then Clean Sweep though.

Another superpowerful (and momentarily broken) variant is to pick Great Swords and then use the Whispers of the Endless Paths. Atm using Clear Out or Clean Sweep with it results in instadeath of all hit enemies (even if it's only a single one) because it creates an endless loop (AoE triggers AoE and repeat). I expect this to be fixed asap - but AoE * AoE will stay being awesome even if the loop gets fixed. Even if fixed (like it was before) it's like a nuke on mobs - for only 2 Discipline.

It's fixed on Beta and from my testing, Clear Out with WotEP doesn't do much at all anymore when I tested it on some Rathun at ashen maw.  However Clean Sweep with WotEP still seems to be doing multiple damage in aoe, at least before it kb's the mobs.  In trying Clean Sweep vs. 1 mob using WotEP, it seems to hit three times but only 2 of those are damage rolls.  It may seem like more among many mobs due to mob stance and other powers like swift flurry.  Maybe you can check on your end if you opt into public beta.

Edited by brasilgringo

Tar

It's a spread made from yeast extract. It looks like tar and tastes absolutely horrible...

Two out of three, almost correct.

It's a spread from yeast extract, it looks and moves like tar. And it tastes wonderful!

Edited by Frak

Nerf Troubadour!

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions <:

So far i have tried a Brute with a morning star up to level 8 on potd, and it's strong and pretty fun.

I might try something different though since i'm not to keen on the aesthetic when it comes the morning star :p

stalker subclass sounds kinda cool, but i have read a lot of negative comments about the pet's. are they still weak or have it been changed? 

I might try playing around some with the soulblade subclass as well since the cipher class just seem like a very good fit for the watcher when it comes to rp reasons 

They are very strong. It's easy to do with Blunderbusses + Powder Burns because you'll Distract yourself (Distracted contains Flanked) with every shot.

Besides that it's pretty difficult to get flanked and not get knocked out quickly as a "rogueish" Streetfighter who focuses on offense. But you can do it without too much pain when you build him defensively - meaning high AR and/or wearing a shield and doing a multiclass that gives you more sturdyness (Fighter, Paladin, maybe Chanter). Or combining it with a Priest (either as multiclass or in a party setup) who can cast Barring Death's Door and Salvation of Time on you. That way you can easily trigger Flanked and Bloodied and not die. Escape once the "can't die" buff expires.

I personally like the Streetfighter/Paladin Combo. Especially with Goldpact you gain substantial sturdyness despite being flanked. The fat armor will slow you down, but your recovery bonus is huge as well. On top you'll have the higher Sneak Attack damage.

I also started a run with a single class Streetfighter and dual mortars (what else) and that is (in my opinion) absolutely great. I play him like a melee guy but without the need to really get flanked (since I use Powder Burns). I use Smoke Veil and Hand Mortar's Blinding Smoke to substitute Persistent Distraction (which doesn't work with ranged weapons). Arterial Strike and Toxic Strike in an AoE are great and Gambit with Mortars is crazy (due to some internal Guile-calculations which go bonkers).

One reason why one might want to go single class: Vanishing Strike gives you an invisibility which doesn't break. This means you get Backstabs all the time while it lasts. Not only great with mortars but also melee weapons. BUT: once you are invisible you will lose the flanked status (if you were "really" flanked). Distracted stays. So maybe one can do this once health is below 50%: you will keep the "Heating Up" status but get untouchable while doing speedy Backstabs.

Oh, good point. The Defiant Apparel (starting equipment) has a resistance to PER afflictons and will downgrade Blind to Disoriented.

Since Disoriented has a 50% recovery penalty you will (more than) nullify your Heatig Up recovery bonus though.

Oh, good point. The Defiant Apparel (starting equipment) has a resistance to PER afflictons and will downgrade Blind to Disoriented.

Since Disoriented has a 50% recovery penalty you will (more than) nullify your Heatig Up recovery bonus though.

You did not "more then nullify" the Recovery bonus. Either due to funky math or a bug. You were still very fast as a Streetfighter under Disoriented. I think you ended with something like a 30% boost? Granted, I haven't tested that for a long time.