What are you playing right now?

Gorth

On 4/24/2019 at 6:22 AM, Keyrock said:

I tend to play female characters in 3rd person games anyhow because if I'm going to be staring at my character's ass the entire game, I might as well stare at a female ass. 

I just have a harder time making a connection to a male character; male characters are closer to the real me. And the closer to reality a game is, the less comfortable I am playing it.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

If it's just a random avatar-as-you type game, I tend to make females, mostly because the typical He-Man in huge shoulder-plated armor I just find fugly in look and animation. If they're wearing plain clothes like pants and a jacket or a military sort of uniform or some such, that's better. Probably yet another reason I used to make mages a lot - robes, y'know.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If the game is 1st person view and I have a choice I tend to pick male characters because I'm male and I feels like I'm looking through my own eyes. In 1st person I guess it doesn't make much difference since I will rarely see my character anyway. 3rd person I tend to make female toons, for the aforementioned reason, and isometric it's 50/50.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The Turing Test

It's a decent first-person puzzle game, unless you try to follow its plot or seek challenging puzzles. But I got all achievements, so it's something.

Devil May Cry 3 (HD Collection)

Started another DMC3 playthrough. PS gamepad prompts are irritating (and show the quality of port), but the game runs well and just as hard as I remember.

Apart from chugging along through AC: Odyssey I've also been playing Dawn of Man and Aven Colony for a bit of variation. TLDR, they're both good games that I'd recommend overall though they're certainly not classics.

Dawn of Man takes a tribe from stone age to iron age with hunting, techs, farming and the like. Its main problems are that it's a bit repetitive- not much in the way of alternative strategies- and the difficulty is, overall, a bit too easy even on hardcore mode. The positives are that it's almost bug free, looks pretty good and is in a neglected time period; it was also enjoyable and held attention despite its flaws and that is the most important thing of course. The main annoyances/ flaws I found apart from there only being a few strategies were fighting enemies which was not exactly difficult but was very random in results- basically, combat tended to be decided by whether your army streamed piecemeal towards the enemy and got annihilated or their army streamed piecemeal towards yours instead- and keeping animals fed over winter. There was also a tendency for the AI to ignore even high priority tasks at times, important for feeding animals as you had to harvest/ store straw for them and even with the correct equipment and high priority given the AI would sometimes decide something else random was more important resulting in your animals starving. Which was more annoying than anything, my town in general never actually came close to starving in any game.

Aven Colony is a fairly standard city building and resource management/ gathering game set on an alien planet more or less in the vein of Pharaoh or one of the other old Impression games, I'd think anyone liking them should like it too. It's well balanced (normal is way too easy, but there are multiple difficulty levels and even custom settings) with just enough competing priorities to keep things interesting without being annoying micromanagement, plus it looks pretty and I had no noticeable bugs at all. I don't really have any substantive complaints about it except as with DoM above there's a bit of a dearth of different strategies and cities tend to end up looking mostly the same- despite there being some theoretically significant differences in the ~10 campaign and 4 challenge maps available. It has an overall plot for the campaign which is eminently ignoreable without being actively bad, and a regional map that is for exploration and PoI investigation and which is kind of a half baked feature without being bad.