Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What are you playing right now?

• Please log in to reply
605 replies to this topic

Kavriel

Kavriel

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts

I was playing Expeditions: Viking, but uni and life have decided to get in the way of my playing time. I'm at a crossroads: I just finished off at Scarborough, and need to figure out where to go next. Orkneyjar, I think! I'll probably get around to playing again in a month or so... :getlost:

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9130 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Bought a VN. Tried to play VN. Refuses to run in Offline mode even tho the store page mentions nothing about 'net required. I did install it on E drive instead of C drive, maybe it doesn't like that, but pffft - if I install it on C drive and it's still Online only I may refund it.

Installed Shadow/Tombraider. Fraps won't work with it (a lot of games do work with Fraps on Win10 still, but not all). Tried their Photomode. The P or controller key to take picture doesn't work. Meaning you have to use Steam Overlay to take a screen while in Photomode. Tried Ansel. The Ansel menu comes up but controller doesn't work to use it and the high resolution options aren't even there. I'm confuddled. The built-in benchmark test indicated 35-60fps on mostly Ultra + Raytracing shadows etc at 4k. I'm utterly unimpressed with the Ray-shadows.

The game itself? I dunno, it doesn't seem anything special. There's QTE moments. There's too many cutscenes. I feel too closed-in visually a lot of the time. I still don't like "tombraiding" in modern 3d space (vs. original games). But Lara's hair, pants and jacket look really good. :disguise:

Edit: Shadow/TR *is* the first game I've owned where it actually gives me the proper PS4 prompts vs. Xbox ones.

Edited by LadyCrimson, Yesterday, 09:01 AM.

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 11315 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I do turn off the markers and it helps somewhat but I think you can still "feel" the way it was designed if that makes any sense. It doesn't feel like an organic world in the least when it comes to that I think. Again, crappy loot, crappy leveling and crappy fights doesn't help the exploration. I like the Witcher 3 exploration a *lot* in terms of just seeing the world, experiencing the bustle and atmosphere in Novigrad, the more calm and harsh beauty of Skellige. But there's just nothing in terms of the open world *gameplay* that I like.

About following tracks, I don't mind that in itself nor do I mind the fisheye effect. I just mind that so often they end up leading you through yet another little monster infested area because obviously we can't let the player go five seconds without anything happening.
I mean, kinda exaggerating here but in some places it's kinda annoying. It's just trash fights with nothing interesting going on.

I don't like the combat much but it can be fun once you actually get into those witcher contracts that are a bit special somehow. But most of the fights you encounter naturally on the map are just pure trash. And there's so much of it. I mean, I guess that's why I felt Kingdom Come was such a breath of fresh air, it was nice to have a game world where combat music doesn't start pounding every couple of minutes because a wolf happened to see you riding by.

I'm whining a bit here but yeah, I really think a lot of the Witcher 3 gameplay feels watered down and boring. And it's such a shame because so much effort and love obviously went into the writing, the atmosphere, the audio and visuals.

I gotta admit, I'm much more forgiving of these types of issues if the game has a great story and sidequest design.  For instance, especially in RPGs, combat ranks way down on my list of me caring if it's good or not.

It's probably why I'm so forgiving of the Witcher 3's faults.  The things it did well are the things I look for most in RPGs.

• Mamoulian War likes this

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9130 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Downloading FFXV Ardyn DLC - almost done. Nothing else I've bought recently has been super exciting so ...  why not. May as well round it all out. Wish it has been Aranea episode tho.

Watched a part of the dlc already via Twitch ... expectations are middling. I'll probably like it more than Prompto's DLC but less than Ignis' DLC. Besides, it's mostly just new Ansel fodder, am I right? Right. :biggrin:

Katphood

Katphood

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2736 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I bought the FFXV limited edition shortly after release and didn't play it. Everytime a dlc is released for that game, I am even more scared to touch it. I guess the movie on the bonus disc is a good place to start but damn, they even released dlc after the release of the so called 'royal edition'!

Should I bother?

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7869 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

FM18 continuing to screw with me, injuries are getting pretty damn severe.  But at least I am drawing most matches so it's not as painful as it could be.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Hurlshot