Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What are you playing right now?

• Please log in to reply
752 replies to this topic

Majek

Majek

Obsidian Order's Whatchamacallit

• Members
  • 2931 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Well i'll keep playing on ps4. And get better until i master it. :D

Hawke64

Hawke64

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • Steam:Hawke_404
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Devil May Cry V

Got through Mission 7 on DMD (one of the highest difficulties, Hell and Hell might be considered easier, Legendary Dark Knight isn't available). The NPC partner was KO'ed during the boss battle, but I still got the "Good Teamwork" bonus somehow.

Found out what "Sweet Surrender" (a Devil Breaker/DLC) does. It's basically a small green star from DMC3-4 (restores HP). Seems slightly unfair to make it a paid DLC and bind to the Deluxe Edition (not purchasable separately).

Edited by Hawke64, 22 March 2019 - 05:14 PM.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9162 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Played some more Eastshade. I'm liking the game more and more. I don't think the world will be "massive" or the game super long, but it's enough space to get lost in. As you wander, picking up sticks and plants for making painting canvasses and I know not what else, you encounter huts, people, houses. Some have quests, some have nothing to say (but you can loot their candles and canvas cloth!) ... came across one puzzle, maybe two, didn't try to solve yet.

I can't stay out/walk at night (too cold) but I hear somehow you can acquire a jacket that then lets you do so. I need that jacket. I also need a fishing pole and a raft (to get across to a few places), and friend references to get into the big city where one can buy and sell things. I have no idea how to achieve these things, and it doesn't really matter. Just wandering around,  and if I do enough quests, maybe they'll like me enough. I did make a father angry enough to punch me, which seemed not likely to make me friends, so I re-loaded. Hee. But it shows that occasionally there are small choices to be made in the game.

The graphics aren't really all that uber but the way everything looks kind of like a painting, the light, the weather, it all works to impress the eyeballs regardless. Impressive indie work.

Edited by LadyCrimson, 22 March 2019 - 05:40 PM.

• Starwars likes this

Katphood

Katphood

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2777 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I always liked the difficulty in the Soulsborne games, what I found challenging though was figuring out what weapon to use and how to build it.
  • Mamoulian War and Hawke64 like this

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 11345 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Re-united with mommy dearest in AC: Odyssey.  One of the "chapters" was incredibly short after what seemed like a pretty long previous chapter.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4781 posts

Is anyone else getting destroyed by the first Sekiro Boss.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4781 posts

Games aren't suppposed to be fun, they are supposed to be hard.

wait. what..

Play Sekiro, you lightweights !!!

Majek

Majek

Obsidian Order's Whatchamacallit

• Members
  • 2931 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Depends. Is it really a boss or just a miniboss? :D  And what do we even consider to be the first boss? :D

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 7545 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock
Still going ham on DQXI. Right now I'm grinding a bit, not for XP, I'm already a bit overlevelled for where I'm at in the game, but for gold so that I can buy the cat suit and the bunny suit. Don't judge me. :p
  • Mamoulian War and Labadal like this

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1209 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Been playing Titian Quest while waiting for Grim Dawn expansion coming out next week. Got to chapter 3 real quick. I feel under leveled. Coincidentally, the last game I finished was Assassin's Creed Odyssey which is also set in classic Greece.

• Keyrock likes this

Starwars

Starwars

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3219 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm replaying the Witcher 3 at the moment.

It's a seriously impressive game but it does suffer a lot in certain areas I think. The whole Bloody Baron questline is a fantastic example. Here you have interesting characters, *great* atmosphere with the Crones in the swamp and all that. But the gameplay is so boring. There's just too much of "follow trail/follow NPC through the next set of drowners/wolves/whatever before you reach your goal".

And stuff like the loot system, and "points of interest" system kinda sucks a lot of fun out of what is an really beautiful and wellcrafted world. I mean, it's kind of a shame... it's very easy to just lose yourself in the beautiful open worldness of the game but a lot of the gameplay is just really uninteresting.

• Labadal likes this

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4029 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

That's exactly why it took me ages to finish the game. It looks great and all, but damn, oftentimes I felt super bored. Haven't even finished the Blood and Wine (?) dlc yet, because I kinda burned out from the game.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4781 posts

Depends. Is it really a boss or just a miniboss? :D  And what do we even consider to be the first boss? :D

The first boss - boss. The one you are supposed to lose to. I *am* going to beat him so I can get 2 seconds of different cutscene. 

• Mamoulian War and Hawke64 like this

Hawke64

Hawke64

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • Steam:Hawke_404
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Devil May Cry V

Either DMD has a very accurate name or I'm terrible with Dante. Completed M11 and M12 mostly by using Golden Orbs and got my very first D rank.

Then breezed through M13 with Nero and got an S.

Fenixp

Fenixp

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2402 posts
  • Steam:Fenixp
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Here you have interesting characters, *great* atmosphere with the Crones in the swamp and all that. But the gameplay is so boring. There's just too much of "follow trail/follow NPC through the next set of drowners/wolves/whatever before you reach your goal".

I felt like the combat system was non-intrusive while remaining engaging just enough to remain non-irritating through the 100+h game time I've clocked in W3, and now while replaying it I still feel like fighting stuff is enjoyable, but doesn't get in the way of exploration and questing which are both the real stars of the show.

Following tracks became a lot less irritating to me after disabling the fish-eye effect you get with it (I think you can do it in vanilla game, but it may be the UI mod I'm using) - it is faily lazy design which is obviously there simply to facilitate as many low-effort 'detective' quests as possible. Funny thing is, most of these aren't low effort writing-wise, but when it comes to their gameplay design, well...

And stuff like the loot system, and "points of interest" system kinda sucks a lot of fun out of what is an really beautiful and wellcrafted world. I mean, it's kind of a shame... it's very easy to just lose yourself in the beautiful open worldness of the game but a lot of the gameplay is just really uninteresting.

Loot system and levelling sucks arse in The Witcher 3. I mean, just like yesterday, I found two epic swords of the same name and design in two random chests next to each other. ... Yeah.

Anyway, there's an option somewhere to remove question marks from the game, and to make exploration feel more organic, I'd suggest doing that. Because not only is there other stuff to find in the world beside the question marks which'll inevitably remain obscured by the tunnel vision, finding these locations while wandering the world just starts feeling a lot more fun and rewarding.
  • SadExchange likes this

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 11345 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm replaying the Witcher 3 at the moment.

It's a seriously impressive game but it does suffer a lot in certain areas I think. The whole Bloody Baron questline is a fantastic example. Here you have interesting characters, *great* atmosphere with the Crones in the swamp and all that. But the gameplay is so boring. There's just too much of "follow trail/follow NPC through the next set of drowners/wolves/whatever before you reach your goal".

Pretty sure you can remove the "?" from the map so you can just explore without knowing ahead of time that there's going to be something of interest in a region you're entering.

• SadExchange and the_dog_days like this

Starwars

Starwars

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3219 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I do turn off the markers and it helps somewhat but I think you can still "feel" the way it was designed if that makes any sense. It doesn't feel like an organic world in the least when it comes to that I think. Again, crappy loot, crappy leveling and crappy fights doesn't help the exploration. I like the Witcher 3 exploration a *lot* in terms of just seeing the world, experiencing the bustle and atmosphere in Novigrad, the more calm and harsh beauty of Skellige. But there's just nothing in terms of the open world *gameplay* that I like.

About following tracks, I don't mind that in itself nor do I mind the fisheye effect. I just mind that so often they end up leading you through yet another little monster infested area because obviously we can't let the player go five seconds without anything happening.
I mean, kinda exaggerating here but in some places it's kinda annoying. It's just trash fights with nothing interesting going on.

I don't like the combat much but it can be fun once you actually get into those witcher contracts that are a bit special somehow. But most of the fights you encounter naturally on the map are just pure trash. And there's so much of it. I mean, I guess that's why I felt Kingdom Come was such a breath of fresh air, it was nice to have a game world where combat music doesn't start pounding every couple of minutes because a wolf happened to see you riding by.

I'm whining a bit here but yeah, I really think a lot of the Witcher 3 gameplay feels watered down and boring. And it's such a shame because so much effort and love obviously went into the writing, the atmosphere, the audio and visuals.

Edited by Starwars, 24 March 2019 - 02:31 PM.

Katphood

Katphood

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2777 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I did not uncheck any of the markers, I went at the whole thing one step at a time...Ubisoft style!

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 11345 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm noticing that later on, AC: Odyssey's big map seems rather devoid of quests.  Unless there's a story mission in an area, there doesn't seem to be any sort of sidequests (other than the bounties) in that area.  I've got like half the continent to go and I'm not seeing any quests pop up each time I enter a new area.

Might have to just finish off the main story at this point.

Fenixp

Fenixp

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2402 posts
  • Steam:Fenixp
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I do turn off the markers and it helps somewhat but I think you can still "feel" the way it was designed if that makes any sense.

Oh yeah, I feel you. Some of the question mark locations are actually designed absolutely splendidly, blending in with environmental storytelling exceptionally well - I felt like the best locations for that were White Orchard and then areas added by expansions.

In the bulk of the base game however, well... I think the most grievous examples thus far are smuggler caches in Skellige and Hidden Treasure island in Velen, like designers had a quota they were supposed to reach.

I don't think I have to say much about the smuggler stashes, but in Velen, there's an island close to Oxenfurt (and the singing troll quest) which has like 4 or 5 hidden treasures on it, with completely disjointed stories, and you essentially get to trip over the 'hidden' chests while on your way there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users