What are you playing right now?

Gorth

The difficulty curve between the vast majority of the battles and the battles against the "name" characters is ridiculous in AC Odyssey.

I'm getting to the point where I'm not going to even bother with these fights against Medusa and Co. because they're just bullet sponges and they take so much health off you with one hit.  It's not even difficult, per se, to injure her.  Just the fact she's got so much health that I spend 15 minutes running around trying to avoid her hitting me once as I take 0.000001% of her health with each power shot.

What bugs me most is I'm at a level where I should feel as though I'm like the most powerful person in the world.  Instead, because the difficulty is so high, I feel like a Level 1 character that accidentally stumbled upon a Level 100 enemy.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

The first game I remember playing was The Last Ninja on the Commodore 64. The first PC game I bought was Chronomaster.

https://youtu.be/XO4ODsBACxE

It wasn't the best adventure game out there, but it did have...*drum roll*...Ron Perlman!

Alleycat video

omg the swimming level, the sound effects, I need this game.
Here you go: https://js-dos.com/alley_cat/ Edited by Katphood
  • Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Somebody in the GOG thread mentioned nostalgia and the first PC game he ever played. Made me feel like dusting off the first two PC games I bought. While I don't have the boxed versions anymore, I do have Fallout 1 from the Fallout Trilogy pack (FO1,2 and Tactics) and I have the original Tombraider from GOG. Heh, I still remember actually buying an Orchid 3Dfx card just to get the nicer graphics in Tombraider. Glide drivers.... yeah. Those were the times

Maybe I should try to see if I can find the emulator versions and have a go at the first two computer games I bought: International Soccer by Commodore and Beach head by Access Software/US Gold

My first PC game  was Kings Quest 1 in 1988, I have to admit I didnt purchase it  but that was due to Apartheid sanctions so we could only use pirated copies on.....floppie disks, remember those ? I loved that game 

I also remember the graphics were EGA and we had to constantly hack the config.sys (I think that was it) to allocate more memory to all those early Sierra games like Police Quest and Space Quest.

:geek:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The first game I played was Pitfall. The first PC game I played... depends a bit on whether one would count Windows Entertainment Pack games like Klotski or the ones that came with Windows, i.e. Minesweeper or Solitaire.

Assuming those don't count as real games the first PC game I played was Red Baron, followed by Wing Commander and Alone in the Dark. Some History Line: 1914-1918 in between, which essentially was Battle Isle with WW1 units.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

See, now that is how a "boss battle" should be.  Finally defeated that Cyclops dude on that volcano island.  He was tough because you had to both avoid his fire attacks as well as the shrinking field of battle as lava started to eat up the battle ground, but when I hit him with my weapons I actually felt like I was doing some decent damage -- which I should feel like at the level I'm at.

The Medusa fight was annoying because of that.  It wasn't only a challenge to evade her stone gaze and "bomb" attacks, but also the fact it felt like a massive waste of time to even try it because even when I was avoiding being hit, my own weapons were doing almost no damage and I felt like I'd be sitting there for half an hour just to whittle her down far enough to kill her.

I'm just not a fan of bullet sponge bosses.  If game designers are going to make them tough to beat, I'd hope it's because of some mechanic like you need proper timing to hit, or you need a specific strategy to damage them (ie. take down shields first before they lose health) instead of they're easy to hit, but it takes a million hits to kill them.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I got the boss battles down to a manageable amount of hits required by stacking critical damage and hit chance on engravings for all equipment. It's still a bit annoying if you get the timing wrong but at least I'd have only spent two minutes instead of ten plink plink plinking just to get wiped out because I got stuck on terrain or was 0.3s out on a dodge. Plus the Immortals armour set is about essential since you can die once per minute with it on.

• Like 1

Playing more Earthlock. But just got my ass handed down in first dungeon after the Burning Desert by two different bossses. Need to take a break for today, and try again tomorrow :(

Did you beat them in the end?

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Oh yes, both Mushriga and the Story Boss were defeated next evening. All it took, was to change little bit my talents, and a mutated flower, which allowed me to create few Fire + ammunition for the MC. After that, I had finally enough DPS, to defeat the bosses before they kicked my ass again :p

Now I am at the Festival of Magic coloseum fights in my home city, where for me, the game lost some pacing. To many fights to get the Gold Badge, compared to previous Main Quest parts of the game. Still the game is pretty decent, if you take your time to manage your talents.

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I got the boss battles down to a manageable amount of hits required by stacking critical damage and hit chance on engravings for all equipment. It's still a bit annoying if you get the timing wrong but at least I'd have only spent two minutes instead of ten plink plink plinking just to get wiped out because I got stuck on terrain or was 0.3s out on a dodge. Plus the Immortals armour set is about essential since you can die once per minute with it on.

I might have to use that armor piece.

I wonder if they lowered the difficulty with this latest patch (today) or these other boss fights just are that much easier than Medusa.  I took down both the cyclops guy and the ogre type guy with relative ease today.  Not sure if it has anything to do with the patch or they're just easier bosses (I had trouble with the ogre guy when I tried fighting him before).

Oh yes, both Mushriga and the Story Boss were defeated next evening. All it took, was to change little bit my talents, and a mutated flower, which allowed me to create few Fire + ammunition for the MC. After that, I had finally enough DPS, to defeat the bosses before they kicked my ass again :p

Now I am at the Festival of Magic coloseum fights in my home city, where for me, the game lost some pacing. To many fights to get the Gold Badge, compared to previous Main Quest parts of the game. Still the game is pretty decent, if you take your time to manage your talents.

Getting talents right and learning your stances is the basis of the game. I died to Mushriga last night. The story boss was no trouble. Also died to Frafnir. But that doesn't count as I am nowhere near beating him. At least I beat the burnacle.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

7th Guest

The atmosphere is a lot cheesier and less authentically spooky than I hoped. But the puzzles are interesting. Kind of stuck on the Bishops puzzle, but I can probably figure it out if I get some caffeine in me.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

7th Guest is super cheesy. It's part of what I like about it. Then again, I'm one of those weirdos that loves cheesy FMV. As for the puzzles, they vary WILDLY both in terms of difficulty and in terms of quality, from surprisingly clever to completely nonsensical. I'll give Trilobyte credit for how much variety there is in the type of puzzles.

I'm balls deep (70 hours) into DQ XI. I'm level 47 at the moment and it feels like I'm nearing the end of this section of the game and moving into what is likely the endgame act. I'm currently rolling with a team of Beefstick (my main), Hendrick, Jade, and Serena. It's a team heavy on physical damage that's a bit light on magical firepower and with plenty of healing.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Okay, weirdly enough I was able to beat Medusa with relatively little problem today.  I put on the Immortal armor set, but didn't need to use the unique ability because I never got below about half health gone.

Like I said, I'm not sure if I just adapted really well based on my struggles earlier, or if that new patch that they updated yesterday has lowered the difficulty of these boss fights tremendously.  Because the Medusa I fought today wasn't close to the annoying POS I fought the other day.

Seven: The Days Long Gone

Feels like "Gothic meets Thief", but isometric. There's a prison island, a pre-defined protagonist, a lot of skills (which I haven't figured out how to activate) and a lot of loot. Also it's possible to climb almost everything.

Currently trying to find a merchant with more than 30 [local currency] to sell them the equipment I acquired from bandits.

Started the Bloody Palace with Dante in Devil May Cry V. Reached the 17th floor. The enemies so far seem the same as in Nero's version.

• Like 1

I tried The Fall, but I got bored of it pretty quickly.

I'm currently playing Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth on PS4. My PS Vita memory card had to be reformatted completely, because it went corrupt with my Vita saves. I bought the game on PS4, and I'm almost at the point I was before.

Decided to go ahead and get the Legacy of the First Blade DLC episodes for AC Odyssey.  I've enjoyed the core game enough that I figured why not.

Seven: The Days Long Gone

Discovered a working crafting station in an abandoned safehouse and realized that I was supposed to collect and dismantle all the trash loot I've found. Crafted several small healing items and moved forward.

Reached the 4th zone.

Devil May Cry V

Cleared the 70th floor as Dante by dropping a meteor on the furies (ninja-lizards). Not my most honorable battle.

Edit. Cleared the Bloody Palace as Dante. Only one character to go.

Edited by Hawke64
  • Like 1

Getting talents right and learning your stances is the basis of the game. I died to Mushriga last night. The story boss was no trouble. Also died to Frafnir. But that doesn't count as I am nowhere near beating him. At least I beat the burnacle.

Won against Tremelbone yesterday, but got destroyed by Frafnir today twice. So I have to move to other dungeons and look for other possible places where the required plants should be, before engaging him again.

Started playing Dragon Quest VIII again, after letting it rest for over a year. Should have done it earlier, because this games makes me feel relaxed. You have to take your time to play through it and spend hours grinding, so you don't need to hurry through it. And when one character reached a level you feel that you achieved your goal for this day, so you can put it down. Besides that, I still found this quite charming in all aspects: It has a simple but intense story about pain and how to react to it, sympathetic characters, a fairytale atmosphere and the monsters are still creative and so CUTE. The atmosphere is optimistic without being dumbed down, the music is also good, the mechanics simple but effective. I just love it. Worth every cent and timeless, even after 15 years. Feels like coming home.

Edited by Harry Easter
  • Like 2

Won against Tremelbone yesterday, but got destroyed by Frafnir today twice. So I have to move to other dungeons and look for other possible places where the required plants should be, before engaging him again.

I only just got out of the warehouse. You'd so expect a boss fight there...

I've reached that point in DQ XI where, were this my first traditional jRPG, I'd be thinking I'm in the final dungeon and about to face the final boss. I've been through enough of these that I know I'm about to get a "j/k game's not over yet".

• Like 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I only just got out of the warehouse. You'd so expect a boss fight there...

And Franir is down, but Twisted Guardian kicked my butt :p Meanwhile I have done coliseum in starting town for Gold :)