What are you playing right now?

Gorth

Ass Creed: Origins. Love the Egypt, love the combat mechanics. Skill and weapon systems are also really cool - highlight of course being the shotgun bow. Levelling sucks and gear generally sucks as well, to the point where you can upgrade any gear in your posession to your current level, bringing its power up to fight opponents on your level. ... So, at the end of the day, all level number does is "Lower level opponents are weak, your level opponents are challenging, higher level opponents will kill you. ... ... That's a fun mechanic innit?"

The best part is that I presumably could have not done any of this story at the beginning and just gone off on completely different adventures and gotten myself into a whole different den of snakes.

Not only that - just so that the game doesn't get stale, as game time progresses, the universe go through Eras which populate it with brand new storylines which you can finish and always tweak a whole bunch of in-game rules to accommodate for the era's theme. And while these aren't driven by you and can be ignored if you wish to do so, with enough effort put into them, you can become a major driving force of the era's events.

I keep going back and forth on which main story I liked better between Origins and Odyssey.  I think the "hunt the Cultists" part of Odyssey gives it the edge for me.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Tropico 6 is pretty fun, still not sure what is up with my people choosing shacks over tenements though.  Steadily making my island as communist as I can, had a bit of a scare in past elections but got through it. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Playing through AC Odyssey as Alexios just because I was curious how Deimos would come across.  Have to say I think this Deimos comes across as more intimidating in a ruthless way.  When playing as Kassandra, that Deimos comes across as a cartoon villain who acts more like a spoiled brat.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Devil May Cry V

Completed the last mission on DMD without taking damage.

Seven: The Days Long Gone

Reached the ending, realized that all available outcomes weren't good and the best possible one requires to complete several side quests.

I like the general idea of STDLG (a stealth-action game with RPG elements and functioning open world), but some aspects (crafting, dialogues, bugs) are somehow lacking. Also I strongly dislike small towns (unless they burn down in the prologue/tutorial), which are numerous among the available locations (ironically the tutorial chapter took place in a city), the rest of the locations are mountains, military bases and swamps. Also one submarine (DLC) and a temple.

Played through AC Odyssey with Alexios up to the part where he infiltrates the Cult meeting just to see what Deimos is like in his play through.  Now I'm kind of running out of steam as the story is okay but nothing great.

I find the only time I can actually replay games is if I enjoy the story a lot.  Otherwise, I can't push through.  Same reason why I only played Batman Arkham Knight once.

• Like 1

I am beloved by one noble house, hated by a couple other houses, I'm running some shady black market deals, influencing political discussions to form a unified government, and assassins are chasing me everywhere I go. All in a day's work for a Star Trader captain. :grin:

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Ffs, why is there absolutely no logic whatsoever to the Orig's level requirements!?

I'm exploring an area, which is good fun by the way, and find a ... Corpse! All right, so the game adds a quest to investigate the murder and punish the murderers. ... ... It's level 12 though and I'm level 8, so I guess I'll just leave and return later. This is like 100 meters away from lvl 8 content.

So then I explore someplace else, which is still good fun by the way, and see ... A garrison! Good, like the combat and stealth mechanics, LET'S TAK... Oh, they all have red skulls above their heads with no indication which level these guys are. Well, I guess I'll return later then. They're in an area that's marked for top level 8, but ... I suppose it's a small mistake. ... So let's investigate that island over there!

Ah, a note and some sort of ritual site, MYSTERY! Let's investigate it, it's in the middle of lvl 8 zone so surely ... Right, required level 14. Never mind. I'll return later then.

Just ... Why!? How is this supposed to encourage exploration in any reasonable way!? At the very least make sure that low level areas are congregated on a specific part of the map and then surround them with areas that are slightly higher level and so on, the "spiral" pattern which the game seems to be going for makes no sense

I really enjoy the game regardless, I mean, I enjoyed playing W3 which did the same thing, yet combat mechanics and skills in W3 were far weaker than they are in Origins.

• Like 1

Steadily making my island as communist as I can...

Managed to starve a good chunk of the population yet?

With them living in a shanty town, while aliens take over the world, only revealed by a pair of sunglasses? That was capitalism :p

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Finished the "Pebberley Island" DLC for Two Point Hospital. The first level was fine, nothing out of the ordinary. The second one was very interesting, being the first outdoor hospital. The third level was a godawful abomination. Like, a completely standard hospital except the patients come in waves.

As an overall product, Two Point Hospital I liked well enough. But I don't think I can justify buying the DLC anymore, at least not without deep discounts or in an eventual bundle. I'd rather them just move on and make Two Point Park or Two Point Tower or Two Point Zoo, etc.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Ffs, why is there absolutely no logic whatsoever to the Orig's level requirements!?

I'm exploring an area, which is good fun by the way, and find a ... Corpse! All right, so the game adds a quest to investigate the murder and punish the murderers. ... ... It's level 12 though and I'm level 8, so I guess I'll just leave and return later. This is like 100 meters away from lvl 8 content.

So then I explore someplace else, which is still good fun by the way, and see ... A garrison! Good, like the combat and stealth mechanics, LET'S TAK... Oh, they all have red skulls above their heads with no indication which level these guys are. Well, I guess I'll return later then. They're in an area that's marked for top level 8, but ... I suppose it's a small mistake. ... So let's investigate that island over there!

Ah, a note and some sort of ritual site, MYSTERY! Let's investigate it, it's in the middle of lvl 8 zone so surely ... Right, required level 14. Never mind. I'll return later then.

Just ... Why!? How is this supposed to encourage exploration in any reasonable way!? At the very least make sure that low level areas are congregated on a specific part of the map and then surround them with areas that are slightly higher level and so on, the "spiral" pattern which the game seems to be going for makes no sense

I know exactly which part you mean, as I've been there recently. I seriously hate these MMORPG-derived RPG mechanics, where a few levels of difference means you are level-locked-out of content and won't be able to kill that lion not matetr how many hours you hack and whack at it. And the worst thing is this affects not only "ARPGs" like new ACs / Witcher 3 but also traditional RPGs (Divinity: Original Sin) AND usually also comes combined with level-scaled random (and boring) loot.

What happened to the elegance of D&D (and its derivatives), where you could still kill high-level enemies with low level characters if you were creative (or extermely lucky :p ) and hand-placed items that were actually excicitng to find? Why was this abandoned and replaced by the MMORPG levelup power escalation.

And if you HAVE to have level-scaling, do it right! Baldur's Gate 2 basically figured out the right way (repalcing easier monsters with harder ones, and more of them) in 2001. Upping a Lv. 5 wolf to lv. 45 to make it a threat is not the way, and does not make any sense game-world wise (because why would some wolves have 100 HP and others have 5000? - I am looking especially at you, Blood & Wine).

I still enjoyed AC Origins (and enjoy AC Odyssey right now), but that is mostly despite its broken RPG mechanics, not because of them.

Edited by Mico Selva
  • Like 2

I had the same experience as Fenix with AC Origins. It made me rage quit after the first boss encounter. Gotta give it another go someday...

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Cuphead on Switch. It's still in one piece :D

Map attack to the right trigger if you haven't already. It helps. A lot.

You can even tape it down. Shooting is never wrong. ;)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Well, that sucks.  I didn't realize I'd deleted my Dying Light saves, so now I've got to at least play through the prologue before I can load up The Following.

Steadily making my island as communist as I can...

Managed to starve a good chunk of the population yet?

No, they don't appreciate famine. Hard to really starve people anyway, just makes massive inefficiency to not have food distribution.

Game seems ok, finally in Modern Times which I heard is awful for grinding and the pathing going screwy as country gets larger. Also tourism just plain sucks.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I can't believe I ever thought this guy was hard. Posting for the voice acting meme. So badass, I ****ing believe him.

That boss sold me on Sekiro. The fight's awesome and flowing and the environment you get to fight him is great, grappling onto him and crashing through the wooden barricades, man. Such joy.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Night in the Woods

It sounds like a quirky cute horror game. And it comes across that way at first.

But what it kind of feels like its someone wanted to make a horror game and nobody else in the studio cared. It's alternately funny and depressing about the transition into adulthood ill-prepared. And then every couple of hours something ominous happens that we quickly ignore because regular life sucks all on its own.

Also there are "nightmares" every night that are about as unsettling as a candlelit dinner with live music.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Playing West of loathing (finally! :grin:) instead of Cuphead now. Once i get enough of fun i'll play Cuphead again. When i have time for Switch games of course.

I wish i was 13 again and  have  half of each day reserved for playing games.

1.13 killed off Ja2.