What are you playing right now?

Gorth

When it's good, it's really good. I particularly like the characters. Even though they are a very uneven bunch in terms of tone, they are all interesting and well realized. Leland is a glorious bastard, SIE is fantastically crazy and someone like Mina is just likeable. The cast is really great.

SIE made me realize I kinda like strong woymen, especially if they are armed with a big machine gun.

kung_fury_splash.jpg

• Like 8

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Anyone willing to recommend or otherwise Watch_Dogs (2) since it's on sale at the moment? I've enjoyed/ am enjoying AC: Odyssey well enough but I definitely wouldn't want to play another similar game immediately after* and the rep of Ubisoft games is that apart from their more niche titles like Anno they all have a similar approach. Plus the premise of Watch Dogs seem to be one of the more interesting ones.

*AC: Odyssey is just too repetitive at its heart, then again if you're getting tired of a free game after near 100 hours you don't have much to complain about in the greater scheme of things. I wish there was more mission variety and a bit more substance to the war- being able to murder hordes of Athenians and Spartans with no consequences makes little sense and you can kill leaders, steal their money and burn their supplies then turn up to their army recruiter 5 minutes later and all is forgiven. OTOH the visuals are great, I like Kassandra and the historical angles are mostly accurate and add a great deal of depth to what could have been a fairly shallow game.

• Like 1

Ha.  Went over to my buddy's house and we were going to play a bit more of Anthem today.  Only problem is the servers are so terrible and unstable that we either kept getting disconnected or we'd join a mission in progress only to lag like hell the entire time.

What a joke that game is.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Ha.  Went over to my buddy's house and we were going to play a bit more of Anthem today.  Only problem is the servers are so terrible and unstable that we either kept getting disconnected or we'd join a mission in progress only to lag like hell the entire time.

Tell your "friend" to refund it.

• Like 1

Playing mostly Warframe, new event boss went live and it's a lot better than the previous "Orb" bossfight they released. Fairly easily soloable by experienced players, I imagine (I mean, I managed just fine after failing and then looking up the mechanics) since it's mostly a mechanics battle and not a damage based fight. Only real negative so far is that there's no mission for it, so finding a group requires either going through clan or recruiting chat (or just learn to solo it, I guess, Zephyr works wonders for those around here that play Warframe).

Anyone willing to recommend or otherwise Watch_Dogs (2) since it's on sale at the moment? I've enjoyed/ am enjoying AC: Odyssey well enough but I definitely wouldn't want to play another similar game immediately after* and the rep of Ubisoft games is that apart from their more niche titles like Anno they all have a similar approach. Plus the premise of Watch Dogs seem to be one of the more interesting ones.

I can easily recommend Watch_Dogs 2, it's what the first game should have been. It's a Ubisoft game, which is to say it's like all the other Ubisoft games, which is to say a giant map littered with icons, most of which are filler-tier stuff to do. Still, the Bay Area is a great setting and the game features a cast of truly likeable protagonists, which goes a long way toward giving a **** about their plight.
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Tell your "friend" to refund it.

Sarcasm aside, he's waiting/hoping for patches to fix the issues.  He's more into shooters/Destiny clones so he's more forgiving with the story elements. I've seen enough, however, of the main story to know it's not a game I'm going to spend enough time on to buy it.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

You know what else I like about Alpha Protocol?! Based on the choices I made, I never even met SIE.   :cat:

it's like Metal Gear but for grown ups. :p

'You lack the qualifications to exercise free will'

Damn, did that guy predict the future?

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I finished Yakuza 0. Phenomenal game. I'll play Yakuza Kiwami in the near future, but for now it's Dragon Quest XI time.

• Like 3

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

When it's good, it's really good. I particularly like the characters. Even though they are a very uneven bunch in terms of tone, they are all interesting and well realized. Leland is a glorious bastard, SIE is fantastically crazy and someone like Mina is just likeable. The cast is really great.

SIE made me realize I kinda like strong woymen, especially if they are armed with a big machine gun.

And her VA is the same that does the Major.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Finished Kingdoms of Amalur. That final boss fight was pretty cool, but I feel like I broke the fight by being an archer so the final boss' actual attacks never had any chance of hitting me. The major threat was the mooks anyway.

I've started on Edge of Eternity, an early access turn based tactics-style JRPG that takes environment and weather into account in its battle system. The game is unexpectedly beautiful, and the game actually already forced me to think about my tactics from the first real boss fight.

The first real boss fight consists of a leader of the pack jaguar-type thing, flanked by two mooks. The fight seems deliberately designed to teach you how to strategize, in a specific puzzle-type way.

1) The weather is raining, which lowers fire damage and increases lightning damage... Except the enemies are already naturally resistant to lightning.

2) The boss starts on a panel with an attack-boosting crystal on it.

3) One of the mooks starts on the panel with the siege tool that you can use to attack all enemies on a single panel, so you can't get to it until it either dies or you lure it off the panel.

4) There is an unoccupied healing crystal on the field, on the panel behind where your two party members start the fight. The second mook occupies a panel next to it.

5) The boss and mooks have the ability to copy the very last spell your party members cast, making interrupts crucial - or at least make sure the boss doesn't get to buff themselves with your haste spell.

You clearly start the fight at a tactical disadvantage, although thankfully the first mook can't use the siege weapon against you. The first move is to move both party members to the healing crystal, so the second mook can't claim it for themselves and leave you trapped in the center with no field bonuses available to you. This has the added effect of forcing the boss and the first mook off of the attack crystal and siege weapon in order to chase you down.

You can try sending a party member off to claim the siege weapon next, except the mook is in the way, so you have to kill that. Turtling at the healing crystal doesn't become an option for very long, as the boss eventually casts a hazard AoE on the panel that the healing crystal is on, forcing you to move off as the damage per turn is double that of the healing from the crystal. That's when I sent my mage off to the siege weapon and I sent my front-liner to claim the attack crystal, and cleaned up from there.

The writing can really use some work though. A lot of the dialogue between the two main characters feels rather forced instead of natural. The game's combat system seems like it has a lot of potential besides that.

Edited by Saito Hikari
  • Like 2

1404560492161322131.jpg

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Y'all are posting pictures of women with assault rifles. SIE has a LMG, which is at least 30% more badass.

lqfbRik.jpg

IMHO the gun badassery chart goes like this:

LMG > Revolver > Shotgun > Assault Rifle > Hunting Rifle > SMG > Pistol

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Is it time to start a "strong empowered women with weapons" thread and see how long it takes to get banned?

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Is it time to start a "strong empowered women with weapons" thread and see how long it takes to get banned?

Over/Under 3 1/2 posts :lol:

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Talking about strong women, two days ago was the one year anniversary of Anna Campbell's death. A young woman with the Bristol Hunt Sabs who in 2017 went to Syria to help fight against the IS. She died in 2018 to Turkish bombs :(

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Obligatory:

8kqxh.jpg

It feels like Cassandra in AC: Odyssey was in part modelled on Xena, at least it feels like it when I've been slaying countless enemies playing as that biceps wonder woman.

Oh and "over/under" you say?

8blazerf3.jpg?itok=hMOIPUaz

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***