What are you playing right now?

Gorth

Still plugging away at Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

Gameplay is starting to show its flaws. Namely you arrive to a new region, clear out the area, do a couple kill/fetch quests, and move on. Not much deviation beyond that. The main quest so far has quickly moved into areas so far beyond my level (like 2 regions over to enemies that can 2-3 shot me) that I'm staying behind to do sidequests to level up. That said, I can probably rush the main quest if I wanted to, because the slow time/damage boost reckoning mechanic makes boss fights a complete joke in the game. I could also NOT use it, if it wasn't so integral to leveling in the game due to massive EXP boosts while killing enemies in this mode.

I really do like the combat, though. I've settled for Shadowcaster build path (mage/rogue hybrid) with bow primary/staff secondary. I especially like how staves are treated as AoE melee/mid-range weapons, and the attack animations for them are very visually pleasing. I could probably use chakram secondary instead (they're considered long/mid-range AoE mage weapons), but it seems rather redundant if you already have bows, and they seem more suited for pure mage path and warrior/mage hybrid path.

I'd say the game so far is good enough that I'm baffled at how poorly it sold. The combat is actually really good, it's one of the few open world action RPGs where you can come up with actual combos (and quickly swap between two weapon types and throw spells into the mix). Staves have a 1-2-3 hit combo effect with just left clicking rapidly, but you can also guard + left click to execute a quick backstep while summoning a vortex with a small area of effect that drags enemies to a central point, then swap to a different weapon or cast a spell into the mix. There's also a charged staff attack that launches a 360 degree defensive knockback pulse, and one other move I haven't unlocked yet so I can't yet describe it. Bows so far have a charged shot and an area of effect arrow rain move, there's apparently two other bow abilities I haven't unlocked yet either.

Edited by Saito Hikari
  • Like 1

I haven't played it, so this is hearsay, but the comparison I keep hearing about Anthem is that it's like Destiny 1 at launch, before all the improvements they made to that game over time.

It's a bit ironic that Apex Legends is a game that EA was very hands off, didn't advertise almost at all, and just sort of quietly shoved out the door and it's a smashing success that is almost universally praised. Anthem is a game that EA was very involved in, was hyped and advertised tremendously, had a big demo and staggered launch campaign and the reception has been *wet fart noise*.

It's almost as if EA is the problem.

Yes, Desinty comparisons are rampant. However they ignore that (as SkillUp pointed out, I think on Laymen Gaming, not on his own channel) Destiny had "good bones" iow, the core mechanics were solid and the technical underpinnigs were solid whereas in Anthem many of the technical issues appear to be tied to the engine (eg. the incessant and long loading screens) and according to some the combat appears to be broken at a fundamental level (I didn't enjoy the combat during the demo, but that might just be me. Or me going solo and there basically being no scaling towards solo play).

Anyway, another rather decent review:

Didn't really comment much on all the Anthem stuff since I played the demo, game turns out kind of as I expected based on my time with the demo, unfortunately.

Personally been hopping between Warframe and Skyrim lately. Warframe is, once again, in a bit of a content drought where most veteran players are mostly playing other stuff until DE releases something new. Which wouldn't be such a bad thing if they weren't making a habit of these content droughts... (I've never been this close to acquiring all the gear in the game ever before...)

Skyrim's still an enjoyable exploration game, and can be made to look rather really pretty with some modding effort.

For some reason I kinda lost interest in Shadow of the Tomb Raider, despite my misgivings with some of the previous reboot titles I did play through both of them at a pretty solid clip. Shadow just doesn't really grip me, unfortunately.

Edited by marelooke
  • Like 1

I haven't played it, so this is hearsay, but the comparison I keep hearing about Anthem is that it's like Destiny 1 at launch, before all the improvements they made to that game over time.

Difference is that Destiny, for all its problems, was always a good shooter with solid gameplay. Anthem's combat is just plain bad. Bad encounter design, bad environments for gameplay, really bad enemy AI, and bad quests accented with meh gun play. If I didn't know better and someone lined all the looter shooters up in a row and I had to guess which game first I would pick Anthem because it does just about everything either downright poorly or just barely okay.

• Like 1

Yes, but DA4 was “refocused” few months ago, to be more in line with Live Service vision of EA. I expect Anthem with swords...

Well, there was this story providing an explanation of what they mean by "live" elements. As a DA franchise fan I'm not too concerned. Yet.

https://dailytech.page/2019/01/10/casey-hudson-confirmed-the-development-of-dragon-age-4-and-tried-to-reassure-fans-2/

Ewww.

And here I was, thinking Mass Effect: Andromeda was a bad game...

Mass Effect: Andromeda had terrible animation glitches and was generally lacking in quality control but it wasn't a bad game. Certianly not a good game either. Perfectly average with a dose of hilarity and some tired faces.

It's almost as if EA is the problem.

Forcing BioWare to use Frostbite was a terrible decision. Apex Legends was built with Source, and surprise, it works well. Square pegs and round holes and all that jazz.

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Yeah, I don't think ME: Andromeda could be worse than DA: Inquisition and I enjoyed that game quite a bit.

BioWare to-do list:

Play and finish these games in the following order:

-ME: Andromeda

-KotoR I

-Jade Empire

-KotoR II

-DA: Inquisition(dlc)

-replay ME trilogy on the PS3 but this time with all dlcs

...and maybe, just maybe replay DA II but with dlcs this time around. I ain't touching DA: Origins though since I played the crap out of that one a few years back.

• Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Andromeda is very similar to Inquisition. Neither are bad though neither are good either. They're not low effort games, they've got a massive amount of content but would have been far better with less content that was more memorable as after a while both games got tired and dreary. I like some of the ideas behind them but overall they both feel a bit 'off' and too much like an offline (well, 'offline') MMO in single player mode.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 5

Same. I didn't care for either Andromeda or Inquisitor, but respect them both. I played both, never finished. Think I traded them into Gamestop before long but I can understand why people would play them and like them. Just not my thing.

Putting DA: Inquisitor up to Dragon's Drogma: Dark Arisen was brutal though. I remember people doing so lol

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Now I'm watching some Korean youngin' play Dragon Quest Builders *2* - I can occasionally understand some words he says but I can't read any of the game stuff, lol - it looks so much improved, I want it. But apparently the US has to wait until summer or something.  Sigh.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I tried Enderal. Not off to a great first impression, but I think I'll play it through, all the way.

Same. But, I think, the cut-scenes and dialogues are better*, than in TESV, though it was odd to be unable to move during those. Combat feels as bad as it was, which is quite disappointing. Thus, if there are stealth and diplomacy, I'm going to master them.

*The "crispy meat" scene was kind of hilarious, the graphic effects (especially lighting) were on point.

• Like 1

The total conversion they made before had similar problems. It's amazing what they achieved to complete, but at the same time... damn, that writing is bad.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I remember playing a little of Enderal when it came out. Its one of those RPGs where I am constantly asking myself: what? From the new mechanics to the fantasy jargon and heavy lore dumps.

It is gonna be one of those games where I will have to grow into it. I am planning on returning to it because it has sparked my interest. When I will return, well I don't know.

• Like 1

BioWare to-do list:

Play and finish these games in the following order:

-ME: Andromeda

-KotoR I

-Jade Empire

-KotoR II

-DA: Inquisition(dlc)

-replay ME trilogy on the PS3 but this time with all dlcs

Kotor 1&2 still hold as a couple of my favorite rpg's til this day :)
  • Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

The total conversion they made before had similar problems. It's amazing what they achieved to complete, but at the same time... damn, that writing is bad.

Bethesda should hire them, it sounds like they'd fit right in.  :shifty:

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Ewww.

And here I was, thinking Mass Effect: Andromeda was a bad game...

Mass Effect: Andromeda had terrible animation glitches and was generally lacking in quality control but it wasn't a bad game. Certianly not a good game either. Perfectly average with a dose of hilarity and some tired faces.

You're way more lenient than I'd expect. To me, utterly forgettable characters, nonsensical yet unoriginal plot, a grindy, repetitive gameplay design and shooter mechanics worse than ME2's (on top of the QA issues you mentioned) are sufficient reasons to declare a game "bad". I mean, strip away the (patched) visuals, and what's left?

It could have been a good game, and it had a few moments, mostly related to the exploration and vistas. But what I remember most about it was being bored.

I'd urge anyone who's in the least concerned about what to do with their free time to give it a hard pass.

• Like 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I subbed Pallegina in for Eder in Yoga Fire as my second tank. Now I'm running Beefstick (my main: Barbarian [Mage Slayer]), Pallegina (Fighter/Palladin), Xoti (Priestess), Maia (Ranger), and Tekehu (Chanter/Druid). I'm missing out on Aloth's pure magical damage output, but Tekehu and Xoti both partially cover that area.  I have 2 meat shields up front (standard for a party of 5 IMHO). Between Xoti, Tekehu, and Pallegina I essentially have 2 healers (1 full healer in Xoti and 2 half healers in Tekehu and Pallegina) and I operate under the doctrine "It's impossible to have too many healers". I've got disables, buffs, and debuffs all types of covered too. It's working out well so far.

As an aside, I hope Pallegina and Maia bicker during our travels. It was a secondary reason as to why I put Pallegina in my party.  :fdevil:

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

You're way more lenient than I'd expect. To me, utterly forgettable characters, nonsensical yet unoriginal plot, a grindy, repetitive gameplay design and shooter mechanics worse than ME2's (on top of the QA issues you mentioned) are sufficient reasons to declare a game "bad". I mean, strip away the (patched) visuals, and what's left?

It could have been a good game, and it had a few moments, mostly related to the exploration and vistas. But what I remember most about it was being bored.

Gotta justify the 130+ hours I've spent playing it. :p

In all seriousness, in spite of all its flaws I still played it for quite a while. It got tiresome near the end, that's for sure, but ultimately I've gotten enough out of it to not consider my time - and money - completely wasted. It's a nice showcase of lost potential but when I think of all the bad games I've played in my lifetime it's nowhere near gems like Ruins of Myth Drannor or Superman 64.

I'd urge anyone who's in the least concerned about what to do with their free time to give it a hard pass.

I probably did spend way too much time playing terrible games. I mean I actually completed Ruins of Myth Drannor. :p

Now I'm watching some Korean youngin' play Dragon Quest Builders *2* - I can occasionally understand some words he says but I can't read any of the game stuff, lol - it looks so much improved, I want it. But apparently the US has to wait until summer or something. Sigh.

Yeah. Waiting as well. Have you heard of the game Portal Knights? Decent enough game with a lot of the same mechanics you seem to enjoy about DQB.

Now I'm watching some Korean youngin' play Dragon Quest Builders *2* - I can occasionally understand some words he says but I can't read any of the game stuff, lol - it looks so much improved, I want it. But apparently the US has to wait until summer or something. Sigh.

Yeah. Waiting as well. Have you heard of the game Portal Knights? Decent enough game with a lot of the same mechanics you seem to enjoy about DQB.

Yeah, I've seen that one. I like some of the "cute" things in it like costumes, animals/pets and the like. But it seemed like it had more focus on combat than I'd want in such a game. And I think the Creative Mode gives you access to everything right away so you can immediately just build, vs. having to gather stuff to make stuff first. Maybe I'm wrong?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I tried to play Anthem. Caveat: In the way the designers wanted me to, at any rate.

When you launch an expedition into the world you have a few options, one is called quick mission. You're matched with similar players and randomly join a public mission in your progression range.

Tried that six times. Five out of six times I was put into a dead game instance where the mission progression died for some reason. You join, notice that there aren't any waypoint markers, enemies or NPCs to interact with, wave at the others, and leave. Granted four of the five dead instances were the same mission at the same progression level, so there's a chance I ended up in the same instance four times, but that makes little difference.

Once it worked. As with Andromeda you can see the parts being there. Flying over the terrain, dropping down with a bang, firing at relentless groups of enemies for a moment feelt like the invasion of Klendathu, except with a happy end and all.

Also did some freeplay - an always public expedition where you fly around the map trying to find something to do. Which, without any help or markers, means you fly around aimlessly about the admittedly incredibly pretty world. It's pretty, but boring. Imagine Guild Wars 2 with only three other players somewhere else on the map and in order to find world events you need to get really close to them.

The game also knows its loading screens are bad so there's an option not to load the story area (Fort Tarsis) after a mission, but to directly to the launch bay, a smallish map where you can do pretty much everything you could do in Fort Tarsis except continue the campaign. A nice idea... in theory. In practice the launch bay also is supposed to serve a lobby function and you're matched with other players in your range to facilitate social interaction.

That matchmaking sometimes takes longer than loading Fort Tarsis. And it disconnected me twice. Oh yeah, and a freeplay expedition disconnected me. When I tried to reconnect it had already backfilled my place. Whlie you still keep the loot in that case you're not getting any alliance points or experience for it.

This is more kaputt than SWTOR ever was at launch.

• Like 3

I tried to play Anthem. Caveat: In the way the designers wanted me to, at any rate.

When you launch an expedition into the world you have a few options, one is called quick mission. You're matched with similar players and randomly join a public mission in your progression range.

Tried that six times. Five out of six times I was put into a dead game instance where the mission progression died for some reason. You join, notice that there aren't any waypoint markers, enemies or NPCs to interact with, wave at the others, and leave. Granted four of the five dead instances were the same mission at the same progression level, so there's a chance I ended up in the same instance four times, but that makes little difference.

Once it worked. As with Andromeda you can see the parts being there. Flying over the terrain, dropping down with a bang, firing at relentless groups of enemies for a moment feelt like the invasion of Klendathu, except with a happy end and all.

Also did some freeplay - an always public expedition where you fly around the map trying to find something to do. Which, without any help or markers, means you fly around aimlessly about the admittedly incredibly pretty world. It's pretty, but boring. Imagine Guild Wars 2 with only three other players somewhere else on the map and in order to find world events you need to get really close to them.

The game also knows its loading screens are bad so there's an option not to load the story area (Fort Tarsis) after a mission, but to directly to the launch bay, a smallish map where you can do pretty much everything you could do in Fort Tarsis except continue the campaign. A nice idea... in theory. In practice the launch bay also is supposed to serve a lobby function and you're matched with other players in your range to facilitate social interaction.

That matchmaking sometimes takes longer than loading Fort Tarsis. And it disconnected me twice. Oh yeah, and a freeplay expedition disconnected me. When I tried to reconnect it had already backfilled my place. Whlie you still keep the loot in that case you're not getting any alliance points or experience for it.

Probably a dumb question, but I take it it completely sucks as a single player game?  Do you essentially have to play co-op to get anything out of it?  What's the campaign like?

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Gotta justify the 130+ hours I've spent playing it. :p

I think I have close to 200, most of that in the multiplayer, though I did finish the campaign.

I keep telling myself that I did it so you wouldn't have to.

Ouch. I wonder to what extent the game's (technical) problems are down to the choice of engine. Are the shooter mechanics any good at least? How's the AI?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.