What are you playing right now?

Gorth

Edit:

I should add that not many games make it a priority for bows to shine. I remember liking bows in Dragons Dogma, Horizon Zero Dawn and Gauntlet, that's about it though. I feel like ny character is a Green Arrow of sorts.

I've always been looking for games where you can actually be an archer without feeling like you're gimping yourself because the combat was primarily designed for melee/magic combat instead. In that case, the game you're describing is on my radar now.

(Also, in the case of Dragon's Dogma, producer Itsuno last week outright said that Capcom already gave him the approval to work on a Dragon's Dogma 2, he just chose to make Devil May Cry 5 first - which heavily hints that DD2 is already in pre-production. When I heard this last week, I got really giddy. I need more Magick Archer in my life.)

Oooh, I sure hope it can live up to DD1, a bit more polish and a better PC UI would be top of my wishlist.

Warframe for like 3 hours straight. Is it "grind" when you're having fun?

No, that's my story and I'm sticking with it!

Been playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider. So far (but I'm not that far in, so take it for what you will) the game feels like a pretty big step back when compared to Rise of the Tomb Raider. It's as if Shadow was made by the same team that made the original reboot while Rise was made by an entirely different team. It's weird.

Can't wait to start having a crack at those challenge tombs, I've found one but I couldn't get in because I didn't have the right tools, hope I'll be able to go back soon.

Edited by marelooke
  • Like 1

Without spoilers, does Kassandra and the dude (forget his name) have the exact same story/missions, or is it a completely different story (or rather, a different take on the same events)?

Yes. The way the actors deliver lines are different but literally everything else is the exact same.

• Like 1

Dragon Quest Builders on PS4

I bought it because it looked like a Minecraft-y game that was yet not Minecraft and reviews said it had a no-combat freeplay mode. Started the game. Am forced into playing Chapt. 1 with no menu options for freeplay or anything else. The game is cute and I like the design and ran around doing whatever as the quests dictate. There is little guidance within the game outside of the npc's original "do this", the controls are sometimes awful, and the narrator/npc dialogue is super repetitive ("you know you're a builder right? Only you can build! You know you're the only one with the ability to build, right?" ... I mean, seriously...). Still, kind of fun.

But after a few hours of getting to know the game I wanted to freeplay-build. Apparently I have to complete Chapt. 1 before I can. So I kept going. Now I'm low on healing items and apparently that is the one of  the few things that doesn't respawn and I was too free with them earlier when I had zero clue. :p More of a different type later, according to a walkthru I finally consulted after 6 hours, but will I make it to that point? Combat isn't hard, mind, but I do tend to lose hp frequently because controls/timing are awkward and half the time I end up hacking at air, or my avatar spins around and walks/slashes in the wrong direction, or I get stuck on a block while backing up, or something.

Anyway ... according to that walkthru, Chapt. 1 has a long way to go to finish and while I'm sure a replay would ofc go much faster since you'd be familiar what to do/where to go, since I'm not familiar, I've become irritated that freeplay is locked behind this time-sink of a Chapt. Also, some freeplay unlockables apparently require you to do challenges in the Chapter format, meaning a 2nd playthru of all 4 chapters, most likely. Nothing wrong with that, except when all you want to do is Freeplay in the first place and your annoyance starts to grow by leaps and bounds every hour you can't ....

:disguise::biggrin::disguise:

...it is a cute/fun game however. Not knocking that. But if I'd realized ahead of time what it takes to get to Freeplay, my lazy butt might not have bought it. Pfft.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm at 10 hours now and I think I'm only halfway through the 1st chapt. Dangit. The thing is current quest says "go over here" and I'm blocked by this giant mountain cliff. So I keep banging away through it hoping to make an upward tunnel path to it or something but keep getting blocked at every turn and backtracking. Taking forever. When you're in a tunnel the view camera is also absolutely horrid, can't see jack. If there's some fancy easy shortcut I have no clue. Guess I'll try just dirt-block placing/jumping my way up the outside of the cliff instead. What a waste of time. lol

Reading more, sounds like the freeplay maps are unlocked by chapts as well. So you get 1 or so or whatever per chapt you complete? Dunno? At this rate I may as well go back to 7 Days to Die as a free-builder. :cat:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I take back what I said about fewer QTEs. There's just fewer instant kill QTEs. I've had two "boss" fights that were turret sections with constant QTEs.

I swear people already hated this stuff last gen, so why is this game full of it?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

So I was curious to see how AC would handle the "romance" option.  Kassandra does a quest for an old lady and the two of them .... disappear into a house, people chat outside while the day shifts to night, then Kassandra returns.

Rather underwhelming.  Not that I think it should be a gratuitous scene, or even have romances at all, for that matter.  But if you're going to include them, why something so ... mundane?

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

All right, after putting about 20 hours into Warframe (inside like 6 days, mad!), I've got Things to say.

First of all, the core gameplay is fantastic. Seriously, the guns feel great, meele's even better and when you're doing content for which you're not underlevelled, Digital Extremes somehow managed to create a looter shooter which doesn't need spongy enemies to function - so you're murderizing dudes left, right and center while zooming around and using abilities that can cause anything raging from instant death of a bunch of guys all the way to a small extinction event. (Unless under-levelled) you never feel like you're shooting enemies with peas and slapping them around with a rubber duck - weapons have weight to them and they're balanced enough to allow you to just pick your poison and stick with it. There's also functional stealth and parkour system, both of which are an optimal way of getting through some levels - optimal, but not required.

And while we're at picking your poison, while I may just not have progressed far enough to see any of it, there doesn't seem to be such a thing as a 'superior' weapon that you'd find in, say, Borderlands. All weapons seem to be sidegrades with varied behavior, but none seem to necessarily be more powerful than another one - and if that does turn out to be the case, I'm going to love this system. See, there's mods that can be levelled up and made more powerful. These mods are what makes weapons more powerful and they're transferable between weapons of the same class - so you can totally use a different weapon and have it as powerful as the one you were using previously simply by transferring those (that's not entirely true, there's also a gear levelling system, but let's forget that for now)

Yeah, loving this design, loving the gameplay. I'm even ejoying exploring the individual levels a whole lot, albeit procedural generation can sometimes create bits which make absolutely no sense - still, exploration is fun and when you find something rare, you feel rather good about it.

Now, for the Switch port. Let me just say that the little console has no damn right of running something this pretty, but... It does! The performance was a bit dodgy once I started, but it turned out there's actually quite a lot of graphics settings to fine-tune it to a fidelity you find acceptable while getting table performance (so I basically turned off all the graphical bells and whistles and while I barely notice the difference in how the game looks, I sure do see the difference in how it performs - the thing's running silky smooth.) The game's absolutely enjoyable in both handheld and docked modes - what I find a bit more irritating is that, even in solo mode, it just refuses to handle the console going to sleep and then waking up - when you do so, the game restarts, abandoning whatever mission you were doing at the time.

Anyway, if Warframe is something you find remotely interesting but go "Eww! Free to play!", give it a shot. It's really good - and that's coming from a guy who did so in the past, bounced off and decided he'll never play it again. ... But did. And damn.

• Like 2

Almost done Wildlands.  Still laughing at the story as we threaten people with jail time when we're operating as an extra-judicial kill squad (another funny moment is Nomad telling Katari that 'We're not hitmen',  a couple of missions after we kill some narco because Bowman told us to).    Also like the fact we have to kill Boquita after hearing him talk to his daughter when we don't kill cartel members that are up to worse stuff than running cocaine (like the human sacrificing priestess)

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I just finished Yoga Fire in less than 5 minutes. I love that Obs put that option in the game. I was like, I'm through with you gods, y'all can find someone else to do your dirty business, and she was like suit yourself, roll credits.  :lol:

• Like 5

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I did that one, too.

河洛群俠傳 (Ho Tu Lo Shu : The Books of Dragon) I'm 60+ hours in. I wish that this game would be translated into English. Game is a lot of fun. I hope to pick up Dragon Quest XI again, once Ho Tu Lo Shu is completed.

I just finished Yoga Fire in less than 5 minutes. I love that Obs put that option in the game. I was like, I'm through with you gods, y'all can find someone else to do your dirty business, and she was like suit yourself, roll credits.  :lol:

The best one of these was in Tides of Numenera where you can skydive to your final death right in the first minute of character creation. Too bad the rest of the game didn't quite live up to it.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 3

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

The best one of these was in Tides of Numenera where you can skydive to your final death right in the first minute of character creation. Too bad the rest of the game didn't quite live up to it.

Yeah that was funny.

I liked that game. My only major gripe was that it was way too short.

I like wandering around doing all the side stuff in AC: O, but the problem is new stuff pops up every day, so I can never "finish" the side stuff for a section and then move on to the main story.

I mean, obviously a fun problem to have.  But as someone who likes to see the map "clear" before moving on, it's testing me.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I like wandering around doing all the side stuff in AC: O, but the problem is new stuff pops up every day, so I can never "finish" the side stuff for a section and then move on to the main story.

I mean, obviously a fun problem to have. But as someone who likes to see the map "clear" before moving on, it's testing me.

Yep, I think the ones with exclamation marks are the actual in game ones and the timed contracts were added from the internet like daily challenges or something.

I am currently number 2 in mercenaries, searching for the bery last one to get the trophy. And also searching for the very last underwater objective which isn't showing up. It's not making me angry, I'm loving the game.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Hunting down and finding clues about the cult is fun stuff.  Although it's kind of weird that some of the low level cult members are located the other side of the map where the main story isn't even close to reaching yet.

Hunting down and finding clues about the cult is fun stuff. Although it's kind of weird that some of the low level cult members are located the other side of the map where the main story isn't even close to reaching yet.

Curious,

How would you personally compare this one to Red Dead Redemption 2 and Witcher 3?

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I love when game devs add options like that. That was how I ended my tediously long Prey playthrough. I just stole my father's private escape pod and willingly ended it all, instead of doing the last bit. I just had enough of it all.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I love when game devs add options like that. That was how I ended my tediously long Prey playthrough. I just stole my father's private escape pod and willingly ended it all, instead of doing the last bit. I just had enough of it all.

Yeah me too. And on the other hand you have Fallout 3, where you finally find your dad, and welcome him with a bazooka shot to the face. He gets up and says "stop that". Immersion.

I love how much more of a badass Claire is in REmake 2 than Leon. Leon is this rookie cop who's all unsure of himself and gets thrust into some ****ed up **** and becomes a badass over the course of the game. Claire, right from the beginning, is like "I'm a Redfield. Sudden zombie outbreak everywhere? Pfft, typical Tuesday."

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

So, I just figured you can find lootboxes of sort in Warframe.

There's a special mission type with a mixed composition of enemies from a bunch of different factions that you need to complete to open them.

The act of opening itself is achieved by a whole lot of unmitigated murder. Y'know, you can be other free-2-play dev and make sure that your lootboxes are locked by a key which you'll be only ever able to get using real money or extremely rare currency, or you can be Digital Extremes and tell player to go and murder fun and, up to that point, unseen enemy compositions in absurd numbers to unlock it.

Incidentally, I started a quest to get a big cat of sorts, because big cats of sorts can, I assume, help with murder.

Edit: Oh right I also crafted dual swords which somehow feel a lot more satisfying to use than their single version, so that's a thing I'm doing. I also found Mr. Shotty replacement, believe it or not - and it's a high-precision rifle of all things. Murder over vast distance is as much fun as murder in close-quarters, so yay!

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 2