What are you playing right now?

Gorth

Does Warframe really make much money though? I mean, it seems like it does well enough, but it doesn't seem to be a behemoth.

About $150 million a year, if I'm not mistaken. Not too shabby.

Out of curiosity, what was SWToR initially conceived as? I can't remeber it ever having been brought up that it was not initially conceived as a MMO.

Daniel Erickson described it as "basically a huge, sprawling, ever expanding BioWare storyline with a multiplayer marketplace, social spaces and PVP".

So, more like the episodic format of KotFE, and less like Ilum PVP.

more on that from the perspective of someone who did QA for the game early on

This jibes with their constant push to make everything a service that players can keep going back to paying for

A bit of creative quoting and editing of the post made it easier to read :p

Haha, that bit was their wording, as part of the rationale for canceling Ragtag, IIRC. But yeah, one-off payments? Weak, right?

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

It looks good but I'm not sure why many members here think that AAA FPS and Battle Royale games are bad? Are they bad just because it's the new thing, the new COD? I understand that nobody likes micro-transactions but seems like FPS has always been and always will be the most popular games in the industry, as well as in bringing in the most money, and it's not because people are dumb and don't know what to buy lol

This coming from someone who barely plays fps anymore. I'm getting old, my reflexes aren't what they used to be but I'm not gonna hold that against a genre or lack of, rather.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

It looks good but I'm not sure why many members here think that AAA FPS and Battle Royale games are bad?

Battle Royale games simply don't appeal to me. Most online fps games I have played(Bad Company 2, Red Orchestra 2, CoD) require team work but not a group of friends. It is harder to jump in the game this way if you don't feel like finding two other people to team up with.

But I don't play online fps games that much so who am I to complain.

I am still looking forward to Respawn's Jedi: The Fallen Order, we haven't had a decent Star Wars game in quite a while.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

It looks good but I'm not sure why many members here think that AAA FPS and Battle Royale games are bad? Are they bad just because it's the new thing, the new COD? I understand that nobody likes micro-transactions but seems like FPS has always been and always will be the most popular games in the industry, as well as in bringing in the most money, and it's not because people are dumb and don't know what to buy lol

This coming from someone who barely plays fps anymore. I'm getting old, my reflexes aren't what they used to be but I'm not gonna hold that against a genre or lack of, rather.

I can't speak for my fellows, but I've always disliked FPSs. Not that I mind other people playing them, but I'd rather command an army in an RTS or roll a party of interesting characters in an RPG than just run around ad nauseam pulling the trigger whenever something enters my crosshairs. And recently, hearing about all this microtranslation nonsense, it boggles my mind that people still feed these companies their money.

Anyway! I'm currently playing: Mage's Initiation: Reign of the Elements.

So much nostalgia. #Only90sKidsWillRemember

• Like 2

Anyway! I'm currently playing: Mage's Initiation: Reign of the Elements.

So much nostalgia. #Only90sKidsWillRemember

That looks very Quest For Glory. How is it?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

That looks very Quest For Glory. How is it?

Apparently Quest for Glory was one of its inspirations. I only played two hours last night, but I'm enjoying it so far. The point and click gameplay is relaxing, and the whole "school of elemental magic" thing pushes a lot of my fantasy buttons.

Edited by Heijoushin

Taking some time off to do some fishing in Red Dead Redemption 2.  No matter what lure I use, the legendary fish never seem to bite.  It's always just one of the regular fish I'm hauling in.

Also, I found that the "extra" tasks are way too tedious in this game compared to most games that make you scour the landscape for things.  The dinosaur bones, the dreamcatchers, etc. are impossible to find unless you use an online guide.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

The dinosaur bones, the dreamcatchers, etc. are impossible to find unless you use an online guide.

Lego games dev (Tt Games) says: "Hold my beer"

The main issue with RDR2 is that Rockstar doesn't reward you for your hardwork..

You get an outfit for some stuff such as hunting legendary animals - and the game's outfits aren't very nice tbh. I found making my own outfit/style from the fashion store in San Denis was better looking than ajy of the outfits from San Denis.

Money and a telegram for other hard to find strings.

At least Lego games reward you heavily for putting in 250 hours to find every gold brick, unlock every red brick and collect anything else in whatever game it is.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

BFG2 bombardment of tooltips is one annoying feature but at least the campaign map is more interesting than before.

Limited torpedoes is a good change, even if I dislike it :p

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Not playing right now, as there's other stuff on my plate, but I suppose for some that's not much of an excuse given the only $7 cost of entry:

Be interesting to see this get polished up some more, as it looks to shape up to be stronger than many AAA FPS showings. Assuming that the purported sole developer doesn't get snatched up by one of the big names and further development of this gets put on hold indefinitely.

That part where she complains about not being able to play a first person shooter with a controller. #despair

Game looks pretty good though, noticed I was already following it on Steam too. :)

Does Warframe really make much money though? I mean, it seems like it does well enough, but it doesn't seem to be a behemoth.

About $150 million a year, if I'm not mistaken. Not too shabby.

To put that in perspective: it was one of the best selling games on Steam in 2018, purely through in-game purchases...

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/winter2018bestof/

Out of curiosity, what was SWToR initially conceived as? I can't remeber it ever having been brought up that it was not initially conceived as a MMO.

Daniel Erickson described it as "basically a huge, sprawling, ever expanding BioWare storyline with a multiplayer marketplace, social spaces and PVP".

So, more like the episodic format of KotFE, and less like Ilum PVP.

more on that from the perspective of someone who did QA for the game early on

That was really interesting. I kind of wish they'd stuck with their original vision. But their inability to "sell" DA:O to marketing kind of explains that (also explains why all those AAA titles tend to end up looking so samey, I guess...)

I found this interesting though:

We started talking about the MMO when we were still making DAO and James’ vision was far more BioWare than MMO. Basically a huge, sprawling, ever expanding BioWare storyline with a multiplayer marketplace, social spaces and PVP. Like Netflix or HBO we were okay that people might unsubscribe for a bit then come back as new content appeared. We have their emails, they have the game, the worst part of marketing is done. “Hey, here’s the next Mass Effect chapter, want in?” seemed like a perfectly reasonable route and we wouldn’t have to start over every time.

This is basically what Digital Extremes does with Warframe. At one point I took an extended break and an e-mail about an event got me back into the game.

Battlechef Brigade. I know it's like I'm leaking superlatives lately, but... Well, I do spend more time picking games nowadays. Anyway, Battlechef Brigade is really good fun. The combat's a bit floaty and the match three a bit chaotic, but it works damn well as a single package - especially now that I've learned to juggle gems between multiple pans

Resident Evil 4 in bits. I'm remembering why I didn't care when 5 was announced. Just gathering ammo to then shoot a horde of the same 5 people in the face. I'm in chapter 2 and it's already getting tired.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Currently replaying Bulletstorm. One of those games where it's like... I'm having so much fun with the game, and at the same time it's like the biggest disappointment ever. With the weapons in this and the skillshot system, I would've loved a more open FPS experience. But, they opted for a very linear experience. It's such a shame...

At the same time, the campaign is absolutely silly great fun. And ironically, it's very well written in that it understands perfectly what it wants to do and accomplish, and it does just that. What other game has the hero scream "here comes Butterdick Jones and his heavenly **** machine!" (will maybe be censored) and have it make perfect sense?

Superfun but yeah, still a bit of a disappointment.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Someone gave me Divinity: Original Sin. Any tips for a first time playthrough?

Some things to keep in mind for a first time player

1. There is a max total of four you can have in a party (including your two main characters) many of the puzzles will require the placement of party member.

2. There are a total of four companions you can recruit. a mage, a ranger, a warrior, and a rouge. Something to keep in mind when building your party.

3. Every speech check is determined by a rock, paper, scissors battle. If you find that annoy there are mods on the nexus and steam workshop that get rid of that feature.

4. Choose the star underwear during character creation.

Edited by LittleAmadillo0
  • Like 1

Resident Evil 4 in bits. I'm remembering why I didn't care when 5 was announced. Just gathering ammo to then shoot a horde of the same 5 people in the face. I'm in chapter 2 and it's already getting tired.

If you havent already played it, can I recommend The Evil Within 1&2? Though you may be burnt out by that time...

The Evil Within 1 feels like Resident Evil 4.5, you even get to revisit the mansion from RE1 (sorta lol). It's by Shin Migami by the dude that was behind RE1-4.

The Evil Within 2 is more like RE6, more action and cinematic flair. The game itself wasn't as good as The Evil Within but it has some awesome characters nonetheless.

Play with friend or family if you can, wasn't really made for a single player experience, I mean you CAN but the game's decision making system attempts to mimic the feeling of a tabletop experience in that you can disagree on decisions and see who wins by chance. So playing with someone else makes the game far more interesting.

Art theft is the best way to make money early on.

With enough STR (I think that's the right stat - it's been a while) you can pick up and store oil and water barrels - useful for setting up ambushes. You can use the same feature to store locked chests in case you can't immediately open them.

• Like 2

Finished the epilogue chapters of RDR2.  Once again, the final fight was very disappointing.  I just wanted to shoot the idiot, but nope, had to go through a scripted dialogue just so Dutch could make an appearance.

All in all, a lot of things to like about RDR2, but there were also a handful of things that were really annoying with how they did things.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

All in all, a lot of things to like about RDR2, but there were also a handful of things that were really annoying with how they did things.

A flawed masterpiece.

When I played the game, I loved how much simulation it had in it. The fishing, horse riding and so on but ironically, after I finished it and moved on, I was so happy to be playing games where my horse didn't get hurt/die and I didn't have to worry about certain things.

That's not to say that RDR2 didn't do those small intricate things well, fact is, it did all those things better than any rpg but still, for such a huge game, it is sometimes nice to just be wit less consequence/penalty to worry about.

That said, there's nothing really like RDR2... Closest thing we have is probably Gun or/and of course, RDR1 but that's still not even close.

I enjoyed every bit of it, yet it's one of the few games I wouldn't 100%....

This coming from someone who 100%'s Lego games, Dishonored 1&2 and Spiderman. I still am working on AC Odyseey, it's going to be easy to 100% - just time consuming. At least the map is actually interesting though and it doesn't get repetitive.

Edited by SonicMage117

More Far Cry 5.

The world is still fun to explore and I am hooked as I move from one side-mission to another. The main plot isn't anything to write home about but the different stories and characters you come across while exploring the world continue to impress me.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Make sure you're playing the Enhanced Edition because the regular edition is a buggy unbalanced mess. Seriously, I didn't realize I was playing the regular edition until I noticed there was a separate listing for Enhanced Edition in my Steam library about 10 hours into my playthrough, and saves are not shared between both versions.

Crafting is way stronger in the first game than the second game, assuming you've played the second (you can add gems and stuff to your gear to boost damage/elemental resistances), it's actually used to upgrade/make new gear if you can't find any (something that you can't really do in 2). Have a character that invests in the crafting skills, but make sure to keep gear that boosts said crafting skills around and swap so that you don't invest more than necessary (as I don't believe there are any benefits to going beyond level 5 in a skill in DOS1).

Crowd control is super strong but is RNG-based. Having an archer around with charm arrows (which can be crafted via drudanae + arrowheads) makes the early game a lot easier, although you're going to have accuracy problems until you get that one stance skill that boosts your accuracy by a ton. Take advantage of the tons of special arrows you'll find. Late-game, archers get a hilarious shotgun-type spread skill that's probably the most damaging attack in the entire game.

Oh, and save. A lot. The first game has a heavy emphasis on (rather badly designed) environmental puzzles (while the second game ditched them for a lot more combat), and the penalty for screwing most of them up is usually instant death via lava or something. And you game over if your two main characters are killed, not a full party wipe like in the second game.

---

Currently replaying Dragon's Dogma.

Whoever designed Magick Archer needs a raise. Probably THE gold standard for Arcane Archer design. The hilarious part is the dagger-wielding half of the class could have easily been split off into another class in itself. Nothing like setting yourself on fire before going all stabby as a legit tactic.

Actually, all of the classes in Dragon's Dogma have rather unique flavors to them, and are all perfectly viable. Very difficult to pull that off for an action RPG.

Edited by Saito Hikari
  • Like 1

And go in with a sense of humor.

Phew, glad I didn't buy it

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If you havent already played it, can I recommend The Evil Within 1&2? Though you may be burnt out by that time...

The Evil Within 1 feels like Resident Evil 4.5, you even get to revisit the mansion from RE1 (sorta lol). It's by Shin Migami by the dude that was behind RE1-4.

The Evil Within 2 is more like RE6, more action and cinematic flair. The game itself wasn't as good as The Evil Within but it has some awesome characters nonetheless.

Play with friend or family if you can, wasn't really made for a single player experience, I mean you CAN but the game's decision making system attempts to mimic the feeling of a tabletop experience in that you can disagree on decisions and see who wins by chance. So playing with someone else makes the game far more interesting.

I have Evil Within 1. Doesn't run well on my computer. I intend to play more of it later, though.

I just bought Resident Evil VII, so I'm kind of committed to this RE marathon.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."