Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Political Thread - Browncoat edition... down with the Alliance!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
633 replies to this topic

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2373 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

He may actually get MAGA super-powers now that he's a victim and survivor of an onslaught of LEFTIST MEDIA. Maybe we'll see him campaigning opposite of David Hogg one day.

Most misreporting here seemed a result of partial information, not necessarily intentional misreporting as Tim suggests. Not that 24/7 news reporting is good, it's usually a travesty of information dissemination. I usually think Tim has pretty good character but he does have a bone to pick with the "culture wars" as he calls it.

Anyways, the Black Hebrew Israelites are lunatics, and Trump supporters are idiots. At the end of the day you have a school sending it's students to partake in a political rally against woman's choice to abort.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7909 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Culture wars get this Tim guy clicks, so that can't hurt.
  • ShadySands likes this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3237 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I think both rightist and leftists extremists are on equal grounds to desperation and overcompensation but the student didn't do anything wrong, it's not really any different from wearing a stealers jersey in Texas. You're going to face some opposition from it or even threats but it doesn't even mean that you believe in the cause anymore than someone wears a cross is or isn't a Christian so that's why I would stand with the student and I see the "older more mature" teacher as the less intelligent being and also a bit of a bigot. It's not any different from wearing a stealers jersey in Texas or a cross necklace and being an atheist. Why must we assume that politics and agenda is attached to everything. What happens if a kid happens to like the colot red and so he buys the hat and doesn't even care about President Trump or the MAGA movement?

"You saw that flag right? With the cross on it? That's a known white supremacist symbol." -Leftist Emo Antifa member says, not realizing that african american people are carrying the flags in their march.

Leftist Emo Antifa member continues "So them going around, pushing their Christianity on people who aren't even necessarily Christian..." Very good logic, because you can push a Christian agenda on Christians right?

Emo Lefty continues ignorantly with "Their obsession with their holiday, their obsession with freedom of speech, marks that they wanna hurt people!"
Actually it's the opposite, liberals are obsessed with rights, Christians could care less. It only really pops up when ACLU tries to tear down a Christian monument and replace it with something non-Christian or anti-Christian. Liberals are constantly making marches and holding rallies on how to end Christianity, ban things they don't agree with and impeach Trump. Christian rallies are likely few in comparison.

And following that, this is what happens when a closed minded person is limited to the broken United States school system and or agenda pushing media. Seeing how people die in countries outside of America just for saying "I'm a Christian" it's a bit understandable why keeping the word Christmas relevant. That is due to the great diversity found in America, so people having families outside the USA who have fallen victim to this or have experienced the redicule first hand will fight for that and with good reason. Antifa will not have a chance, not now, not ever and certainly not in America. But let's say just for fun that Christianity is banned from America (some may hope, eh?) It will actually cause Christianity to be bigger and louder than before, but that won't happen so Antifa can rest easy abd keep fighting the good fight themselves
Spoiler

Later"I'm right over here you can come get me if you want!" as Emo lefty rages REEEEEEE whilist runs toward him only to get hit by a truck. It's real. Leftist cannot get up, hurt badly. Yup, someone got him good.

The Christian march the antifa tried to stop continued... Legend is that the Christian march continues til this day and none dare to stand against it. 2018 was a bad year.

The video is from a year ago but just popped up on my feed so it's stil relevant more than ever.

Edited by SonicMage117, 20 January 2019 - 05:30 PM.

smjjames

smjjames

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1076 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

He may actually get MAGA super-powers now that he's a victim and survivor of an onslaught of LEFTIST MEDIA. Maybe we'll see him campaigning opposite of David Hogg one day.

Most misreporting here seemed a result of partial information, not necessarily intentional misreporting as Tim suggests. Not that 24/7 news reporting is good, it's usually a travesty of information dissemination. I usually think Tim has pretty good character but he does have a bone to pick with the "culture wars" as he calls it.

Anyways, the Black Hebrew Israelites are lunatics, and Trump supporters are idiots. At the end of the day you have a school sending it's students to partake in a political rally against woman's choice to abort.

As I said on another forum, it's like the media was tripping all over themselves and each other trying to get the stoiry out before getting the full facts for sure.

@sonicmage: You don't even see the flags with a cross on it that they're talking about, and funny linking to RT, a known Communist site, heh.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

"So now all the alt-right and right-winged MAGA trolls like Volourn "

L0L MAGA people hate me because I make fun of Trump all the time. :p

But, I get it, extremists like you beive it is one way or the other.  Extreme right and extreme left are both poopy heads who are racist and sexists pieces of garbage.

I don't believe either side's FAKE NEWS. They both tend to lie and exaggerate.

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2373 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

As I said on another forum, it's like the media was tripping all over themselves and each other trying to get the stoiry out before getting the full facts for sure.

@sonicmage: You don't even see the flags with a cross on it that they're talking about, and funny linking to RT, a known Communist site, heh.

That's part of it, the other part is that the full story often never gets told. Either because they've expended people's interests, or people already made up their minds and to present contrary evidence would malign themselves to too many, and we all know they rely on selling advertisements. Follow up are only done if it still fits the narrative of the outlets bias, otherwise errata if published at all is discreetly stashed on some corner of their website. As opposed to being boldly published as a story of its own.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

The more I read about that ugly little fracas in DC this weekend the more I think none of the three groups did themselves any credit. Once again we demonstrate an instability to just leave each other alone and just do your own thing. 

• Volourn and injurai like this

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9359 posts

MAGA kid has earned a pity **** by Laura Ingraham.

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2373 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

MAGA kid has earned a pity **** by Laura Ingraham.

Not Tomi Lahren?

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 7555 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock
As all of this identity politics hysteria pushes us further and further into tribalism it becomes more and more unavoidable that this is going to end very badly. Badly for all of us (because there is always collateral damage), but super badly for the extreme far left.

The thing is that the extreme far left is not a cohesive unit. It is an uneasy coalition of various idealogue groups, none of which is large or powerful enough to seize power by themselves, but capable of doing so as a collective. I'm speaking of radical 3rd wave feminists, radicalized members of various minority groups, radical gender fluidity proponents, postmodernists, neo-marxists, etc. They have done a terrifyingly good job of infiltrating and taking over college campuses, starting in the 60s, and indoctrinating young malleable minds then sending them out into the real world to spread their ideologies. The issue for them is that this coalition is destined to fall apart as they inevitably canibalize themselves and vie for ultimate power. We've already seen some of this, but it will accelerate as they gain more power.

There is a growing response (there always is, this cycle has been repeated ad nauseam throughout human history with various ideologies and political powers) from the extreme far right. Unlike the extreme far left, the extreme far right is a cohesive unit that will not splinter, or at least not nearly as much, once they gain power. Once the extreme far left splinters, and they will, no single one of those groups will have the power to oppose the extreme far right. To make matters worse, guess who owns the majority of the guns (at least in the US)?

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5954 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I was about to debate you but then I looked it up and 69.7% of US kids who graduated high school were enrolled to college. I thought it was a much lower percentage for some reason.

Keyrock

Keyrock

• Members
  • 7555 posts

I was about to debate you but then I looked it up and 69.7% of US kids who graduated high school were enrolled to college. I thought it was a much lower percentage for some reason.

That's a product of the "College is your only path to success, if you don't go to college you are a failure" fallacy.
  • Amentep and redneckdevil like this

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7909 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer

Plenty of ways to carry out terrorism without guns, mind you. 

Keyrock

Keyrock

• Members
  • 7555 posts

Plenty of ways to carry out terrorism without guns, mind you.

Fair point.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5954 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

That's a product of the "College is your only path to success, if you don't go to college you are a failure" fallacy.

Heh, I was too poor to pay my own way and too stupid to earn a free ride. As a matter of fact, my kid will be the first of my surname to graduate college.

Keyrock

Keyrock

• Members
  • 7555 posts

To be clear, I'm not arguing that no one should attend college. Higher learning can absolutely be very beneficial and is the right path for some people. My argument is that it is not the right path for all people and is neither a prerequisite for success nor a guarantee of it.

• Amentep likes this

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7774 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

is disappointing to realize college graduates is significant lower.  only 40% o' usa adults has at least a 2-year degree and the percentage o' folks who do not finish their university/college journey is actual increasing. dropout rates were once the law school and med school boogeyman. look to your left, then look to your right. in 2019, more than 1/3 o' the typical student enrolled in college is gonna dropout permanent, and many others is gonna decrease their goals.  more and more kids is pushed into college in spite o' reality they ain't ready for such.  college ain't any kinda guarantee o' success and there is many jobs which pay well and do not require four or even two year degrees. unfortunate, schools and families is not communicating alternatives.

the real value o' the typical liberal arts degree is not 'bout knowledge or experience gleaned in classrooms or university libraries.  get a four-year degree announces to a your potential employer that you is able to achieve long term goals.  more than anything, a degree means an applicant gots either personal willpower or stability o' life to make four-year degree possible.  poli-sci or communications ba is largely useless insofar as skills is concerned, but is nevertheless making a huge difference when one looks at success predictions.  those success numbers is not faked. you will, on average, make far more money if you got a degree.  will be far more likely to own a house and send your own kids to university. in 2019 the degree is still useful, even more than in the past. 

the thing is, in the US we seem willing to ignore the increasing large % o' folks who fail to achieve at least the bs/ba threshold.  you don't need the degree, but w/o you are fighting stoopid preconceptions and there is far less folks trying to help you.  we break thousands o' kids each year.  for many kids who graduate high school but aren't prepared or suited for college, we increasing send 'em to college. you fail college? you are, by definition, a failure. what a waste o' human potential.

as a unicorn, we nevertheless got much sympathy for those folks who couldn't will themselves to success. yeah, there is loads o' opportunities for kids these days and if they just put forth a little effort...

is not so easy.  if we hadn't gotten scholarships, we nevertheless likely woulda' ended up going to college, but we probable go to a local and encheapened school and after graduation head back to the rez and work the family ranch or something similar.  one serious injury in high school woulda' nixed the athletic scholarships.  our mother had cancer when we were in high school and cancer meds back in the 80s were less nice than they are today.  woulda' been so easy for our grades to have slipped.  a couple complete reasonable bad grades while mom is sick?  academic scholarships is gone. a couple bad breaks, and Gromnir is back on the rez, and we were one o' the unicorns who had great test scores and free-ride athletic ability.  

in optimal world, opportunities should be enough.  is plenty of opportunities for folks with a little self-motivation to succeed with or without college.  real world is not optimal.  real world has kids believing they is failures, convinced they is failures before they hit age twenty. send off to colleges their high school didn't or couldn't prepare them for and then nod sadly when they fail.

am not certain o' solutions. encouraging more kids to start college ain't working particular well. 

HA! Good Fun! 

• Gorth likes this

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5954 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

We already had a near miss. As a little background, my kid graduated hs 1 year early then immediately attended community college. But after the first semester decided to take the second semester "off". I nearly soiled myself but I kept it on the inside. I try not to apply too much pressure. :biggrin: After a semester off and working various jobs, unprompted, then decided to go back full time this semester. HUZZAH! So there's a few more years to see how it all pans out but Ive got my fingers crossed.

• injurai likes this

ktchong

ktchong

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 210 posts

Okay, this is what need to happen: the airport security and tower control workers - who have been ordered by Trump to continue working WITHOUT PAY - need to walk out of their jobs and go on strike.   Why are they still working when they have not been paid for a month??   They need to to refuse to work until they get paid.  That is when the entire country will be at a standstill, when all flights will be cancelled and grounded, and the economy will tank as a result.   Then we shall see if Trump will continue to go on TV to make unilateral, one-sided demands and calling it a "compromise".

Edited by ktchong, 21 January 2019 - 05:17 PM.

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10684 posts

And here I thought all Americans loved Trump and they (except the filthy commies democrats of course, it's a known fact they hate America, guns and freedom and democracy and whatever) would happily sacrifice everything to benefit from the protection of a medieval style wall! :p

Now, if it started to affect his own businesses, then who knows, compromise (actual compromise) might be a possibility?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users