The Political Thread - Browncoat edition... down with the Alliance!

Gorth

trump says stoopid and ignorant stuff with shocking regularity.  am not thinking trump is playing some long con or confidence game when he reveals how little he knows.  trump appears willful ignorant.  if facts don't mesh with his uneducated beliefs, he will ignore facts in favor o' what he knows to be true. tillerson reported called trump an expletive moron following an intelligence briefing, and such does not surprise. 

trump is also a mediocre businessman at best

https://www.vox.com/2015/9/2/9248963/donald-trump-index-fund

trump has, 'ccording to some sources, relied on questionable business practices and shady dealings to end up with wealth a bit less than he woulda' had if he invested in a conservate s&p fund back when he first got daddy's money.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/10/02/us/politics/donald-trump-tax-schemes-fred-trump.html

the thing is, within the narrow fields o' shady ny real estate and shameless self promotion, am thinking trump has a kinda animal cunning, if not intelligence.  trump got himself so far in debt (near $1 billion personal and $9 billion for trump organization) banks functional couldn't call in debt.  woulda' been devastating.  so, with deutsche bank bailing him outta trouble, and the tax benefits o' carrying a huge loss forward for years, trump were able to seize on the renewed interest in the trump brand 'cause o' the tv show to resurrect his fortunes. even so, took nerve and perception to turn a campy tv spot into a major self-promotion opportunity.

or use simpson's monorail episode if you prefer.

maybe if he could sing like robert preston, we would find trump to be as entertaining does the base. as is, am baffled by how ignorant and mendacious is trump.  even so, while Gromnir never woulda' thought two years o' political failures could be countered by transparent deflection, false equivalency arguments and fear mongering, trump has managed to actual tighten his grip on his base. serious.  with both houses o' Congress, has any President accomplished so little in their first two years? don't know if counts as intelligence, but to keep base loyalty under such conditions is resulting in a kinda morbid fascination.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

with both houses o' Congress, has any President accomplished so little in their first two years?

I'm certain there are competitors back in the 19th century....

edit: It's also somewhat subjective because, for example, Abraham Lincolin was still in the middle of the Civil War and the Emancipation Proclaimation was in his second year, so, you have to look at the entire term.

Edited by smjjames

"I'm certain there are competitors back in the 19th century...."

We are sorry, we did not think if this. But point remains the same, we cannot name them so therefore they must not exist. We believe that Trump although not the kindest man in office, is the most competent. Just look at how much time Clinton and Obama wasted in comparison.

We feel that at every account, Trump has at least been more honest, loud and real about his intentions and yet he is treated like a joke. When we go through the list of accomplishments he made in such a short time, those who stand with Congresswoman Cortez deny the facts and make up "alternative facts". We will not stand with it. We will choose truth.

We are convinced at this point, anything good the man in office does will be mocked but we are certain that he has more support than non for a reason.

HA! Good Fun!

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

The mimicing of Gromnir was completely unneccesary SonicMage. I also noted that it's subjective since the big accomplishments aren't always in the first two years, and despite your mimicking sarcasm, you do have a point in that 'accomplishments' is subjective in the sense that it depends on who you ask.

I think Gromnir was asking the question from a historian sort of point of view.

Gromnir is a lot more than just a signature and third person. You completely failed at that.

You are right, there are too many nuances, I couldn't be Gromnir no matter how much I tried. Failed attempt #8 :(

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Dogs in search of a master.

Hey! Better than the typical 'monkey see, monkey do' behavior I see on the forum at times, I suppose. Not as desperate ;)

But as SSjames picked up, it was meant as non-serious and I should add non-harmful. I have no doubt that some may not be able to pick up on such a thing though or try to make it as a 'Look at me!' thing as per usual on the forum.

Edited by SonicMage117

Trumps flaws are many. He's impulsive, arrogant, obstinate, and yes willfully ignorant when the facts are not what he'd like them to be. He has lived so long on a world where he can have his way he's unaccustomed to anything else. He has more than his fair share of hubris and is a true believer in the ends justifying the means. He and his predecessor have that in common. I don't think he's stupid but he's definitely not a man who can rise above his flaws. 

As to Gromnir's point about the 3.5M votes Johnson received tipping the scales to Trump, LP candidates tend to siphon more votes from the R than the D by a 3:1 margin. However, even if the reserve were true I don't know that I would trade Trump for Clinton right now. We would just be exchanging  one set of problems for a different and equally pernicious set of problems. We would still be spending ourselves into ruin and the inevitable default. The national debt would still be at a scary number and getting bigger just as fast if not faster. Lord knows there would still be a score of Congressional investigations going on because there is nothing clean about HRC.

Like I said during the campaign, would you rather be bitten by a snake or stung by a scorpion?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Like I said during the campaign, would you rather be bitten by a snake or stung by a scorpion?

Depends on the species (because not all snakes are venomous and not all scorpions are dangerous to humans) and whether the antivenom is available. ;) Just logicing it around. ;)

Dogs in search of a master.

Hey! Better than the typical 'monkey see, monkey do' behavior I see on the forum at times, I suppose. Not as desperate ;)

But as SSjames picked up, it was meant as non-serious and I should add non-harmful. I have no doubt that some may not be able to pick up on such a thing though or try to make it as a 'Look at me!' thing as per usual on the forum.

assumed it had to be a joke, otherwise why would you use the deflection and false equivalency we so recent criticized to make your point 'bout trump.  cortez?  what relevance does cortez have on whether or not trump is skeevy, mendacious and/or incompetent? had to be a joke, right? 

and is no way one overlooks the significance o' early clinton and obama administration signature programs such as nafta, obamacare, deficit reduction act, etc. yes? sure, Gromnir were opposed to most such efforts, but successful championing such efforts were major executive milestones. leave value considerations up to individual, but deny significance?  obvious joke. other than the tax reform act, trump were a miserable disappointment insofar as executive accomplishment.  both houses and almost nothing to show for it. couldn't even get obamacare repealed and had to resort to nuclear option to get Justices appointed, which will no doubt haunt republicans in future as harry reid's similar myopic efforts came back as something akin to the nameless undead thing from democrat's worstest nightmares. 

use competent AND honest to describe trump?  see, we knew you were kidding. heck, one reason Congress had so much difficulty negotiating with the President is 'cause he kept changing his position.  he supported dreamers, right up until he didn't.  caught his aides off guard with his honest intentions more than a couple times. 'course he were no doubt honestly flip-flopping even when he were playing fast and loose with facts.  

well, is good to enjoy a laugh from time-to-time. am suspecting we won't need wait long for another such opportunity, eh?

@gd

before the national emergency bit, we woulda' been ambivalent 'bout trump v. clinton.  am suspecting with clinton in office, ginsburg mighta' already retired.  potential three activist Justices added to the Court? now admitted, such Justices woulda' been relative moderate given the situation in the senate, but is a scenario we dislike considering.  trump has done considerable harm to USA cache abroad, and he has ignorant gutted a few executive branch departments we hate to see damaged or destroyed, but for the most part, as we noted earlier, trump efforts has been limited by his own inability to build consensus within even his own party and by his mercurial nature.  given how little trump accomplished with both houses o' Congress backing him, we were not over concerned with next two years.  the US will recover from trump.  

the thing is, the national emergency bit is worrisome.  is a Constitutional crisis... unless Courts decide it isn't. what if Court does its own pontius pilate play? Congress made this mess with national emergencies act, so let them fix it? Congress has power to delegate its authority. so, it's up to Congress to put big boy pants on and fix problems o' their own making. Court ironic decides case by claiming deference to Congress?  

mess.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I think alot of us (the people) often confuse ourselves with presidents/congress being dishonest and changing their minds. It's far too easy for people to assume that someone was being dishonest rather than learning more about a political subject/topic and reacting according to what was newly realized.

Obama and Cortez, for instance both wanted walls but didn't press for it. They still believed it would be better for the country to have a wall and for immimgrants to legally implemented. It was only when President Trump *God bless him!* said "We must kurst build a wall!" in which protecting a nation in this way became an issue.

I'll just leave this here:

52599215_2260048660920502_59831242191253

I wish this f-----g guy were President today instead of the Trump we ended up with. . I used to irony was funny. Not this time.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

One of my favorite office quotations seems appropriate at this time:

911.jpg

OK, I am sending this to my boss xD

• Like 2

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

One of my favorite office quotations seems appropriate at this time:

911.jpg

So you're saying the way my company works...is wrong?? This changes things

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I am starting to criticize and even reject some of the new Democrat policies, I was concerned this would happen as Trumps perceived sexism and contempt for gender equality   inadvertently has spawned a legion of very erudite, committed, pugnacious and very far left Democrat women politicians who now dominate the House and they are systematically going to challenge and block Trump where they can....life is going to get hard for Trump and his ability to implement certain policies

But I am worried by the extreme views these ladies have ...lets watch this spot  :blink:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm worried about any form of identitarian populism regardless of what form it takes, at the very least a rise in one area helps combat a rise in another if by creating nothing but grid lock. I think true liberals are sort of isolated at the moment because our economic models and institutions are failing us but the true liberals have no solutions. So people with clear social platforms are starting to control the narrative. Further exacerbated by the fact that the media only makes money when covering the loudest noises. Meaning very few eyes are on unifying universal solutions, and are instead relegated to identitarian interest groups fighting under a zero sum game assumption.

I have no qualms with things like the woman's rally standing against Trump's sexist standing. I do have qualms with some of those factions being highly anti-semetic. Honestly we probably don't have enough good populists to choose from, which is why the one that commanded the most popularity ended up being an oligarchical nationalist narcissist with the foresight of a 4 year old. Bernie was the better populist and we saw how the old dems and old media treated him. Bernie was never going to be a Trotsky-ite revolution, it was that the baby boomers want to be aristocracy, while everyone of working and parenting age to be cogs in the manufacturing system that supports them.

America is running a dangerous surplus with infrastructure too grand (as it it's waste, not it's brand new sheen) for what's coming down the pike.

• Like 1

you don’t have to be indoctrinated by these loser teachers

have always wondered what a hurl classroom must look like.  now we know, yes?  

loser teachers is all 'bout the indoctrination.

tough for us to get worked up 'bout the "loser" comments.  were more o' an eye-roll kinda reaction to junior's silly statement, but is a good excuse to post a stalag 17 clip. am a huge fan o' william holden and billy wilder.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

It's pretty easy to eye roll his statements. The reason you don't see many young conservatives is because young people are idealistic by nature. You aren't going to find many young people that don't have simplistically liberal views of the world. People shouldn't have guns, everyone should have a home, health care should be free, etc. Of course, young people also tend to be in favor of censorship if you are going to hurt someone's feelings. Teachers also tend to be a liberal bunch, but honestly we are too busy trying to get kids to write in complete sentences to get far in our indoctrination plan. I mean, I see them in groups of 35 for about 50 minutes a day, it's an uphill battle to brainwash. I've gotta take attendance and figure out how to communicate with the kid that arrived from Korea last week and speaks no English.

Meanwhile their parents get way better access for indoctrination. :aiee:

Actually I think youtube influencers have the best access nowadays.

• Like 1

honestly we are too busy trying to get kids to write in complete sentences to get far in our indoctrination plan. I mean, I see them in groups of 35 for about 50 minutes a day, it's an uphill battle to brainwash.

have you considered introducing music?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1