• 2 weeks later...

Nothing wrong with not liking her. A friend of everyone, is a friend of no one - as the saying goes. I personally find fish man the best healer. Passive chanter healing aura coupled with the strong heals over time is more than enough. I'm fairly new. Been rerolling a lot learning the game. But in my experience so far, is that he is the strongest healer. Only gripe is he doesn't use his invocations as a chanter for some reason. Tried messing with the AI but no avail. 

• 4 months later...

I must say that I liked her.
She is a refreshing other kind of personality in an RPG. Most of them are just nomal people or have serious issus and a dark personality.
Xoti is there on the complete other side.
It gives the game a new and rare kind of character that in my opinion fits in good in this world.
There is always someone who sees the good and is light hearted like her.

But yes, I thik the figure needs some more background and I hope to see her in PoE 3. *crossing fingers intensivly*

Spoiler

What I was dissatisfied with was the end role of her. Even I know it was a logicl step in the story telling.
To not follow the watcher if she was romanced fellt a littel painful.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 1/18/2019 at 5:20 PM, AeonsLegend said:

It's an issue if you really want to play with full fledged party members and not just a bunch of people that are just there. I get the feeling that Obsidian simply hates priests. In the first game we have Durance who is such a dumb and annoying character that I just kill him every time I enter the area where you can pick him up. Xoti is no exception. She's also an idiot and possibly even more annoying because not only is she incredibly stupid, she has the most obnoxious accent and is fanatically religious. There is no way to like this character if you are of average intelligence or higher. And in beast of Winter we get a guy who spearheads a bunch of lunatics and looks like he died 5 times.

I'm serious it's on purpose. They're all a bunch of deranged idiots.

I'm not sure what led you to this conclusion and perhaps my perspective here is off but one thing I can say for certain - is that I, along with many other people, love Durance.  He was absolutely meant to be abrasive.  However, he goes through tremendous growth and rather than word vomit the change he is undergoing, he keeps it relatively to himself.  You pick up on it but it's because of subtleties, not because he has 12 minutes of monologuing about why he's changed.   He's insightful, crass, doesn't give two ****s about your feelings, or anyone else' for that matter, and calls it like he see's it.  He also understands exactly who and what he is and from all accounts, he's incredibly self-aware.   You have to keep in mind that he's also seen some ****.  Which is probably why he's so abrasive in the first place.  This is a priest that killed a god.  You have to wonder how that would effect his own faith- the gods in general go from seemingly omnipotent entities that people devote themselves to, prostrate themselves for, and spend their entire lives trying to appease, to little more than the mortals they rule over very very quickly.  Compound that with what he learns at the end of the game and you've got a real good recipe for crazy.  Everything he dedicated his entire life for, committed deicide for, turns out to be a lie.   Not only that, after he engaged in what he thought was the holiest of acts, his goddess cast him aside like a piece of used furniture at the local dump.  IMO he's also pretty hilarious at times and offers a comical, if not dark, perspective at times.

Perhaps that's just my 40 year-old disabled combat veteran self finding him somewhat relatable but Durance is one of my favorite characters in the game.  Having said that, I can definitely see why some people would dislike him.  Especially people who don't particularly like confrontation and/or typically avoid it when possible.

Xoti on the other hand drives me insane.  Here is a character that is insanely devout to a God that is traipsing across the Deadfire laying waste to basically everything, despite the fact that the Watcher, Eder, Aloth and Pallegina are all acutely aware that the gods are "jumped up Engwithins" that put themselves on a pedestal.   I find it incredibly hard to believe that she wouldn't undergo some SERIOUS reflection given that knowledge.  I also find it hard to believe that she wouldn't be shook to her core considering how devout she actually is.  She's travelling with a group of people who have seen what the Gods are, what they've done as a result of their petty in-fighting and just how little they actually care about the people they supposedly "watch over".    Her quest and/or mission is also a direct contradiction to what the Watcher is doing and all of the aforementioned.   She wants to essentially hoard all of the "lost" souls so that Eothas can collect them at a later date in Hel, when the Watcher himself was tasked with sending them back to the in-between to return to the wheel for Berath.   At no point is the watcher able to tell her "I won't stand for this" or "I don't agree with what you're doing" or "Berath tasked me with leading these souls to Adra" (Or anything in between), she interjects before anything can even really be said whenever something to do with souls comes up, and she acts as if her job is more important - despite the fact that the Watcher was literally brought back from the dead by a God to do their job.   Both the Watcher (At least in my case) and Eder' consistently try to drill it in her head that she's basically a naïve sheep being used to further the circle-jerk that is the gods "non-plan" and the only response she gives is how she's right and it's her sacred duty.   It's honestly infuriating at times, lol. 

Edited by Sabamonster
Additions in regard to Xoti
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sabamonster said:

perhaps my perspective here is off

Perhaps, perhaps not - I liked Durance, too.
What's really off though is your timing. :) 

timing_1.png?dl=1

timing_2.png?dl=1

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

On 4/25/2023 at 11:43 AM, Sabamonster said:

I'm not sure what led you to this conclusion and perhaps my perspective here is off but one thing I can say for certain - is that I, along with many other people, love Durance.  He was absolutely meant to be abrasive.  However, he goes through tremendous growth and rather than word vomit the change he is undergoing, he keeps it relatively to himself.  You pick up on it but it's because of subtleties, not because he has 12 minutes of monologuing about why he's changed.   He's insightful, crass, doesn't give two ****s about your feelings, or anyone else' for that matter, and calls it like he see's it.  He also understands exactly who and what he is and from all accounts, he's incredibly self-aware.   You have to keep in mind that he's also seen some ****.  Which is probably why he's so abrasive in the first place.  This is a priest that killed a god.  You have to wonder how that would effect his own faith- the gods in general go from seemingly omnipotent entities that people devote themselves to, prostrate themselves for, and spend their entire lives trying to appease, to little more than the mortals they rule over very very quickly.  Compound that with what he learns at the end of the game and you've got a real good recipe for crazy.  Everything he dedicated his entire life for, committed deicide for, turns out to be a lie.   Not only that, after he engaged in what he thought was the holiest of acts, his goddess cast him aside like a piece of used furniture at the local dump.  IMO he's also pretty hilarious at times and offers a comical, if not dark, perspective at times.

Perhaps that's just my 40 year-old disabled combat veteran self finding him somewhat relatable but Durance is one of my favorite characters in the game.  Having said that, I can definitely see why some people would dislike him.  Especially people who don't particularly like confrontation and/or typically avoid it when possible.

Xoti on the other hand drives me insane.  Here is a character that is insanely devout to a God that is traipsing across the Deadfire laying waste to basically everything, despite the fact that the Watcher, Eder, Aloth and Pallegina are all acutely aware that the gods are "jumped up Engwithins" that put themselves on a pedestal.   I find it incredibly hard to believe that she wouldn't undergo some SERIOUS reflection given that knowledge.  I also find it hard to believe that she wouldn't be shook to her core considering how devout she actually is.  She's travelling with a group of people who have seen what the Gods are, what they've done as a result of their petty in-fighting and just how little they actually care about the people they supposedly "watch over".    Her quest and/or mission is also a direct contradiction to what the Watcher is doing and all of the aforementioned.   She wants to essentially hoard all of the "lost" souls so that Eothas can collect them at a later date in Hel, when the Watcher himself was tasked with sending them back to the in-between to return to the wheel for Berath.   At no point is the watcher able to tell her "I won't stand for this" or "I don't agree with what you're doing" or "Berath tasked me with leading these souls to Adra" (Or anything in between), she interjects before anything can even really be said whenever something to do with souls comes up, and she acts as if her job is more important - despite the fact that the Watcher was literally brought back from the dead by a God to do their job.   Both the Watcher (At least in my case) and Eder' consistently try to drill it in her head that she's basically a naïve sheep being used to further the circle-jerk that is the gods "non-plan" and the only response she gives is how she's right and it's her sacred duty.   It's honestly infuriating at times, lol. 

I also loved Durance. He was a lot more believable to me as a character than xoti, and his conversations were more fleshed out than any other character in the series by like a mile. He was kind of a gloomy jerk (most of the time, sometimes funny), but he was a priest of magran who helped kill a god, what do people expect? He was also extremely perceptive, IIRC he is the only one who really gets what's going on if someone dies at the blood pool in Dyrwood Ruins. Also with the right actions you can convince him Magran was complicit with woedica which just breaks him. It's one of the most memorable moments of the series for me, seeing how everyone reacts to the revelation but mostly Durance. 

Deadfire characters in general are not nearly as good as Durance (or Eder/Aloth, maybe even Sagani). Their conversation trees are basically just their personal quests, they don't seem to have a lot to say about the main quest. Also I don't understand why some of them happen to be in the Deadfire (like Aloth) except that that's where you are, besides Serafen and Tekehu their presence seems rather circumstantial. 

Xoti just seems kind of daft, and I don't think her quest makes a lot of sense except for the dark version where she is collecting the souls basically because she wants to, because she's compelled to. I think Gaun is just an excuse at that point. 

All this is why in POE1 I prefer playing with a party, whereas in Deadfire I don't really care after the first couple times.

• Like 1

I have mixed feelings on the characters in PoE1 vs Deadfire. On the one hand, I agree that diving into their personal history can be very deep and narratively powerful - I was surprised the first time I convinced Durance about Magran. On the other hand, I really stopped caring after a replay, and it was extremely annoying to just be rapidly mashing dialogue responses to get to the point - in hindsight it seems overwrought and over-written.

I think I generally value expansive reactivity more than miles-long dialogue trees, given a choice of finite writer's time. PoE1 I remember being pretty quiet when you're wandering around, whereas Deadfire seems more like you have a party, and it was a treat to get new reactivity with new DLC and also get Vela reactivity.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/26/2023 at 3:34 PM, Boeroer said:

I don't mind a Wiedergänger thread. I just wouldn't expect the addressed users to actually respond if their quoted post is like four years old. ;)

Time keeps relentlessly moving on, it will be 10, 20 years before we know it...

nowt

Relentlessly indeed.

I had to have a lil' surgery last weekend (hernia) and before getting shipped to the anesthetist's table the nurse asked me some questions. When she came to the point "regular medication" she said:

"Ah well, you are young, I guess you don't have to pop pills regularly?"

Me:
roflmfao.jpg

Edited by Boeroer
  • Haha 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/18/2019 at 5:20 PM, AeonsLegend said:

It's an issue if you really want to play with full fledged party members and not just a bunch of people that are just there. I get the feeling that Obsidian simply hates priests. In the first game we have Durance who is such a dumb and annoying character that I just kill him every time I enter the area where you can pick him up. Xoti is no exception. She's also an idiot and possibly even more annoying because not only is she incredibly stupid, she has the most obnoxious accent and is fanatically religious. There is no way to like this character if you are of average intelligence or higher. And in beast of Winter we get a guy who spearheads a bunch of lunatics and looks like he died 5 times.

I'm serious it's on purpose. They're all a bunch of deranged idiots.

My IQ must be potatoes I like Durance a lot lmao 

I didn’t realize this was a Weiderganger thread dang 

Edited by Torm51
  • Thanks 1

Have gun will travel.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/1/2023 at 2:26 PM, xzar_monty said:

Apologies for a very belated reply, but may I suggest that you drop the "wow" and then say the rest of it in your best Gandalf voice.

I missed a trick there.

nowt