I am trying my darndest to like Xoti. I want a priest in my party and she is one. I think my issue is that she's a tough warrior but simultaneously a naive child.

I have been rewatching Firefly recently and she KIND OF reminds me of Kayleigh, and i've beeng trying to look at her that way. However Kayleigh is a good mechanic but a pathetic fighter. Xoti is a Mary Sue.

THOUGHTS? Tell me i'm overthinking it and just get on with it. I dunno what it is, I like Aerie in BG2 but Xoti just irks me.

nowt

Should this thread fail to help you like her, there is always an option of getting another priest. If you have Beast of Winter, the sidekick Vatnir is one. Unless you need Xoti for her subclass spells, perhaps he can fill the role. Otherwise, there are always customizable adventurers.

• Like 1

I liked her concept. She has a nice aesthetic to her with the sickle and lantern, and it works nice thematically with her reaping of souls. I also like that they straight up went for a sorta psycho vibe coupled with her being naive.

But in the end I had a really hard time accepting her as a character. Perhaps it's because her quest is set up in a very "this path or that path" kind of way, and it never feels like there is a real center to her I think. She can be superdark, sorta psycho and emo and yet she is super cutesy and naive in certain situations, or she will be carefree and free of burden but then say something that completely contradicts that in some other conversation. It's a bit hard to take her seriously and hard to get a grip on her really. I can admire that they really wanted to have a big decision for the player to make (though I will say I find it extremely heavy-handed how it's done) so her personality could really turn out differently but most of the time it just ends up feeling slightly confused and, at worst, like she belongs in another game compared to the other companions.

It's my least favorite companion, and it's a bit of a shame since, like I said, I like the concept of her character.

• Like 2

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Should this thread fail to help you like her, there is always an option of getting another priest. If you have Beast of Winter, the sidekick Vatnir is one. Unless you need Xoti for her subclass spells, perhaps he can fill the role. Otherwise, there are always customizable adventurers.

It's an issue if you really want to play with full fledged party members and not just a bunch of people that are just there. I get the feeling that Obsidian simply hates priests. In the first game we have Durance who is such a dumb and annoying character that I just kill him every time I enter the area where you can pick him up. Xoti is no exception. She's also an idiot and possibly even more annoying because not only is she incredibly stupid, she has the most obnoxious accent and is fanatically religious. There is no way to like this character if you are of average intelligence or higher. And in beast of Winter we get a guy who spearheads a bunch of lunatics and looks like he died 5 times.

I'm serious it's on purpose. They're all a bunch of deranged idiots.

I found her quite annoying at first, but she ended up being my favourite companion in Deadfire. She just grew up in her own enviroment and it is difficult for her to accept other points of view or be subtle about what she believes. Certainly a character flaw but a believable one and it fits the character well. I wouldn't controbute her flaws to lack of inteligence, though. 

What I did find frustrating is that I didn't had a chance to talk to her, tell her about what we found about Gods in PoE1 and see her react - but it is part of the bigger problem - us being Watcher from the first game is for the most part irrelevant.

• Like 2

All this talk of cutesy folksy psychosis makes me want to read misery again.

dunno how much difference knowledge of gods being artificial would make to someone, really. gods in eora are congealed expressions of ideals that existed long before them.

Like the concept of 'god' irl is an artificial signifier weve devised to make sense of the infinite. I dont say that to mean what we refer to as 'god' dont exist, is just that with our limited human framework we can only consider 'god' through this proxy that weve constructed. maybe we can feel it in our bones, but its not always possible to translate that into slippery language.

In eora they went one step farther and created gods in flesh instead of just word and thought.

Also, even if eothas only existed from year x, the concept of eothas must have existed beforehand in order to inspire his creation. Whos to say that concept hadnt existed forever, just without the name 'eothas'.

Im a big fan of eders response to the end of poe1 if u go night market route. Gods might be artifical but it doesnt make what they express any less profound to those who believe in redemption etc.

anyhoo wasnt i supposed to be talking about xoti? eh, decent enough portrayal of a type - a type that id back away slowly from if it approached me at a bar. maias welcome to that one.

• Like 1

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

I am trying my darndest to like Xoti. I want a priest in my party and she is one. I think my issue is that she's a tough warrior but simultaneously a naive child.

I have been rewatching Firefly recently and she KIND OF reminds me of Kayleigh, and i've beeng trying to look at her that way. However Kayleigh is a good mechanic but a pathetic fighter. Xoti is a Mary Sue.

THOUGHTS? Tell me i'm overthinking it and just get on with it. I dunno what it is, I like Aerie in BG2 but Xoti just irks me.

well i don't think she can be described as a mary sue, that involves being an author self-insert and being extremely good at everything and everyone loves them and all their jokes are insanely good and they are lovers of the most incredible caliber etc

idk what people think mary sue means these days but it came from actual star trek fan fiction where mary sue arrives on board the enterprise and very rapidly becomes the most important and beloved member of the crew and in fact demonstrates herself to be smarter and more capable than kirk and spock and instead of being suspicious or annoyed by this they fall in love with her. as i recall.

my opinion? i liked xoti. shes not a fav like eder, tekehu or ydwin but i like the southern accents in this game overall its nice to move away from stilted english accents for no reason. she says some funny things, i think her quest is cool. i thought gaun is really cool, the apotheosis of the harvest, all that mythic stuff is good for me i like that kind of thing. i think the dark ending for it kinda toes the line of being edgecheese but i'm also kind of reminded of like xmen and rogue being evil or something. she's very very reminiscent of rogue who i really like. also she's a lot of fun to play as a contemplative

Edited by Cartoons Plural
  • Like 1

It's an issue if you really want to play with full fledged party members and not just a bunch of people that are just there. I get the feeling that Obsidian simply hates priests. In the first game we have Durance who is such a dumb and annoying character that I just kill him every time I enter the area where you can pick him up. Xoti is no exception. She's also an idiot and possibly even more annoying because not only is she incredibly stupid, she has the most obnoxious accent and is fanatically religious. There is no way to like this character if you are of average intelligence or higher. And in beast of Winter we get a guy who spearheads a bunch of lunatics and looks like he died 5 times.

well i think you're making an err in judgement that you think you have to like characters as people for them to be interesting. durance is incredibly important to the plot of that game so good job on killing him

its crazy how much people hate southern accents lol are you a yank or euro

well i think you're making an err in judgement that you think you have to like characters as people for them to be interesting. durance is incredibly important to the plot of that game so good job on killing him

its crazy how much people hate southern accents lol are you a yank or euro

Hey now, I don't hate southern accents. I hate her rendition of it. And I think it doesn't match the game at all. Truth be told, a southern accent in (pop) culture is loosely tied to being stupid. I didn't create that bias. It's the same with eastern accent in my country. You know the people that don't speak the language like the larger part ofthe west speaks. They are mostly small villages with more farmers. They are also tied to being stupid, even though that is obviously not the case. What is the case is that the views of these people are far more limited than the people in the big city areas. So stupid may not be the best choice in words, but you know what i'm trying to say.

That, and I must say that the southern US accent is very very ugly. Sounds really bad to me. I don't hate it, but I don't like it. And I remember meeting someone who lived in Texas for 2 years. He told me it was the worst 10 years of his life. Because of how narrowminded people were and how, if you didn't "belong" or were from another area how much aggression and ignorance people showed you. So it's not just the accent, but the people in the southern part also have a different way of looking at the world. They also mostly vote for Trump, so I can finish my case there.

And Durance is not important to the plot at all. None of your party members are. They add minor fluff to the game. I've put about 600 hours into the game and finished each and every quest and played with all party members. If I had to give credits to a single party member it would be Grieving Mother. The fact that Durance's backstory is actually very interesting doesn't make it more important. He is simply far to dumb and annoying to enjoy that part.

Edited by AeonsLegend

wow lot of stuff to unpack here.

tbh im not sure what to make of the whole 'southern usa accent as shorthand for religious fervour' thing. Like the readcerans in deadfire arent wholly unsympathetic and their god *has* manifested twice now but eh... i dunno. think id have to let southern usa peeps react to that one.

should i be grateful to have an accent which rarely crops up in fiction? Eh maybe.

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

the raedcerans are definitely plays on southern baptists and mormons but the children of the danwstars and stuff demonstrably do good in eora. the clinic in the gullet, for example

i liked it, i'm almost certain eder is doing a texas thing and i love that

• Like 2

Durance was actually my favourite character in the first game.

I mean he was a bit of an imbecile but I was endeared to him somewhat.

nowt

OK Mary Sue was a bit much, but she's so naive and innocent... how's she such a good ighter and not stressed/bothered by anything? I can understand Aloth/Eder/Sarafen being pretty casual because Aloth and Eder have already seen so much, and I assume Sarafen isn't arsed because he's from a pirate background.

Xoti is jus really happy go lucky then whinges about the odd dream. I'm sticking with her but she annoys me.

nowt

Eh, ive known ex-forces people with zero emotional resilience and midwives who clutch their pearls over pop culture, despite being up to their forearms in blood every day. Never underestimate a humans ability to compartmentalise.

Also xoti grew up on a farm. She'd have spent her childhood up her to arms in gore and ****, talking about two whoops and a holler while breaking a chickens neck.

There aint a sliding scale of distress that folk can deal with. Some dudes can deal with the worst excesses of armed conflict, yet cower before their domineering partners and moan if their tea's cold.

Likewise, its fair that everyones favourite horndog-psycho-priest-not-called-durance can harvest living folk with her scythe yet cry over bad dreams.

Also part of her cheerfulness seems to come from a disregard for life that even jaded ol' maia cant match.

Is where i think her thirst might redeem her. Getting laid might teach her there are things in the world worth holding on to, not gleefully harvested.

I dont like xoti myself - mentioned above that id run a mile from that one - but i do like that such a character was included in the game. Bonkers, but not in a fun 40K way. She properly gets peoples backs up.

Like, even durance never felt all that

disruptive. He just talked ****. but xotis always in everyones business and drawing attention one way or another.

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

eh i aint as og as gromnir and we prob have different reasons for typing like we do, but is fair observation that we both eschew formal english.

dunno if writing like this or writing 'properly' feels more like a mask but whatevs, reflecting on it at length here would be straight up rude.

also some of it is just side-effect of tapping on phone with my beautiful yet clumsy fingers.

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

Also xoti grew up on a farm. She'd have spent her childhood up her to arms in gore and ****, talking about two whoops and a holler while breaking a chickens neck.

This is the main point for me. Xoti is pragmatic when it comes to harvest, death et cetera. As a readceran farmer she will have seen plenty of hunger, birth and death. She is far from innocent. It's just the Circle of Life and Death for her.

She's bubbly because that's how she just is. Death doesn't scare her, hard work doesn't scare her. As a farmer you learn not to sweat the small stuff. So Xoti doesn't do that. Instead she believes in Gaun. That is how it all (death, suffering, loss, rebirth) makes sense to her worldview. That is the only way it can seem fair. She has a great sense of duty to making sure the harvest goes well. Even the harvesting of souls.

• Like 1

Nerf Troubadour!

eh i aint as og as gromnir and we prob have different reasons for typing like we do, but is fair observation that we both eschew formal english.

dunno if writing like this or writing 'properly' feels more like a mask but whatevs, reflecting on it at length here would be straight up rude.

also some of it is just side-effect of tapping on phone with my beautiful yet clumsy fingers.

For what it's worth, I enjoy your writing. Even though it can be a bit uncouth :p

I went to catholic school, I had classmates like that. So for what it’s worth Xoti is a very realistic portrayal of a religious teenager out in the world with no supervision for the first time.

On the other hand when my character called her out in one convo she told me she’s thirty...

• Like 4