So basicaly this is the sketch of a *solo* build I've been using recently to test, based on Raven Darkholm / Victor Creeds recent playthrough findings and the older Electric Dyslexic build.  Where the ED build relies / relied a lot on scrolls and self damage to build the Deltro's Helm lash (which you still could do, I guess), my approach is more about nuking with available spells.  The key is that your available spells can be refilled from (a) Blood Mage ability which has no downside when you're under BDD, and (b) Brilliant from Shroud of the Phantasm. 

At a high level, Blood Mage (no empower) pushes you towards a no-rest run. The good news is you can pick up a lot of stat bonuses "permanently."

You buff yourself with Priest spells including BDD, and Wiz buffs (including Llengrath's Safeguard which will always trigger), and then you use Wall of Draining on multiple enemies (ideally) to extend the duration of all buffs including BDD.  Cast Wall twice on lots of mobs.  Use Blood Mage power to regain Wall.  Cast it again.  Cast it until it's stacked BDD and other buffs enough that you have no concern about killing whatever you are fighting in the time that BDD will be up.  Then just nuke 'em (and yourself! fun!) with great spells like Pillar of Holy Fire and Ninagauth's stuff.  Not to mention Chill Fog and Combusting Wounds.  

Basically you become unkillable for large swaths of time, certainly time enough to handle most mobs (outside of some megabosses).  I pulled all the Fampyrs and other mobs on Sea-Lashed Crypt map, and then inside the keep (from all rooms) just to see if it would be fun.  It was a lot of fun.  Seriously.  I laughed at Jadaferlas, killed quickly.  Laughed at the Fampyr cave.  Laughed at the Flooded Cave.  Nearly laughed at killing everyone on Deck of Many Things except for point (3) below.  Laughed at the Oracle and other bosses in FS.  Laughed at Belranga.  I need to take this build into SSS arena fights, but we'll see.

Couple points:

1) You need over 194 will defense (apparently, credit Elec Dyslexic post) to avoid fampyr Arcane Damper - there are a couple ways to get here.  Blood Mage causes a problem in that you lose 15 defense if your enemy is below Bloodied, but by that point they tend to be going to die anyway.  I pushed my will to 204 topped out so I can use sandals of the water lily (immune to dex affliction), which lower all defense by 10.  I could have put on Spider Silk Robe (same immunity) but (a) I didn't have it yet, since I was kililng the fampyrs first before going to boss who drops it, and (b) i liked the other buffs of Manegra chain.

2) If you don't resist Arcane Damper or otherwise avoid it (by carefully timing the casting of Withdrawal or similar if you can watch the little casting icons on mobs, which I suck at so I don't try), you are likely to die.  Because basically you are running with 1hp under BDD, so if BDD is dispelled, you die. 

3) Same for Arcane Cleanse, which appears unresistable (though it is not clear to me if Arcane Reflection works against it).  Mobs on the Deck of Many Things were using this on me (to my surprise) as does the Cleansing Sigil at Sigilmaster megaboss, and maybe some other mobs.  Not sure how to deal with this yet. 

4) Some mobs have a petrification / paralyze attack that will hit you and potentially keep you paralyzed unless you wear immunity gear, including some mobs among the fampyrs and certainly megaboss belranga - be aware, since your food is captain's banquet permanently  - also might afflicitions are lame, though they don't really hurt you  (they reduce your dmg % from might) so consider some gear vs. them (Mangera's Chain for instance)

Race is always Human for the buffs when you're near death (which you always will be). 

My starting stats for most recent test were as follows.

• Might: 14 + 2 BB = 16 
  • Con: 3 +2 BB = 5 (but you're going to be using BDD, so who cares - plus it gets buffed from no-rest buffs) - DUMP
  • Dex:  12 + 2 BB = 14 ... honestly cast/action time isn't your biggest issue, and this gets buffed with no-rest buffs - can use points elsewhere
  • Per: 18 + 2 BB
  • Int: 18 + 2 BB = bigger AOE and longer buffs
  • Res: 12 + 2 BB = this is the minimum i could find to get Will defense to > 194ish to avoid arcane damper from fampyrs - if you don't care about this, go lower and stick the points into Dex and Might
  • White That Wends background for +1 to Per
  • Note:  maybe take some points out of Dex and put into Might for extra damage % with spells, not sure.

Fully buffed stats after no-rest run items and priest/wiz buffs are more or less as follows - remember these buffs are basically always on at this level during combat:

• Might: 25 (16 base, +1 Rabuyna, +2 Alchemical Brawn, +1 Gift from Machine, +5 Tenacious from priest buff)
  • Con: 10 (5 base, +2 Alchemical Brawn, +3 Taru Turu Chew - but you have to use the drugs all the time, it doesn't matter if you don't use them)
  • Dex: 22-27 (14 base, +1 Rabuyna boon,+2 Alchemical Guile, and then some combination of +2 Firethrower Gloves / +2 Footprints Ahu Taka, +5 Dextrous Alacrity wiz buff, +3 Taru Turu Chew, etc.)
  • Per:  32 (20 base, +1 Kuaru's Price, +1 Cauldron Brew, +2 Alchemical Guile, +1 Effigy Resentment Sagani, +1 Savage Cunning, +5 priest buff. +1 White That Wends background)
  • Int: 30 (20 start, +1 Thaos Helmet from Aloth, +1 Kuaru's Prize, +2 Alchemical Wits, +1 Pet ... and +5 Acute from Brilliant or Priest Buff)
  • Res: 27 (14 start, +2 Rikuhu blessing from shrine, +2 Rabuyna Boon, +2 Nature Resolve, +2 Alchemical Wits, +5 buff from Priest spell)
  • -> these two plus gear are pushing me to 204 will (27 base, +57 level, +36 Int, +34 Res, +20 Llenrath safeguard,+10 Bulls Will, +10 Magnera's Chain, +5 Pet (Katherine cat), +5 Griffin Blade Hounds Courage buff) - if you use sandals of Water Lily you fall to 194 which is just at the limit to resist fampyr arcane damper

For skills, you have to mess around a bit as you level up, and respec for various parts of the game and/or bosses (e.g., stack metaphysics if you want to use essence interrupter or chromoprismatic q-staff against a boss) ... at a high level you can stack mechanics for convenience, plus some arcana or alchemy ... and then stack religon or survival or something else.  Note you need to stack religion to identify the shrine for no-rest buff below.  Athletics not needed since you can't die.  You also get a lot of skill boosts from doing all the trainers, and constantly having luminous adra potion buff (+2 all skills) in no-rest scenario. 

No-rest /other bonuses:

1) Food:  Captain's Banquet for immunities and 20% spell damage buff - start with this

2) Rest at Crookspur Bleakrock shrine - get the scripted interaction, resolve by paying - does not over-write/cancel food bonuses - Rikuhu's Blessing +2 Resolve ... if you don't get the scripted interaction at first visit, load a save (save first!) and try again until you do - need Religion to pass identify check (respec later)

3) You can pick up the Port Maje dawnstar buff once you're ready to go no-rest (50% healing not really helpful here, but +2 religion helpful)

4) Gift from the Machine (after Hasongo lighthouse) - +1 might and 5% max health i think

5) Savage Cunning (resolve Cignath Mor quest to help Gawain):  +1 Per and +2 survival

6) Effigy's Resentment Sagani: +1 Per and +2 accuracy vs >2m targets

7) Adriatic Glow - bathe at luminous bathouse, +1 casts with level 1 priest/wiz spells

8 )  Alchemic Buffs from outcast respite cave pool:  Alchemic Brawn, Guile, Wits... +2 Con, Might, Dex, Per, Int, Resolve

9) Cauldron Brew: +1 Per

10) Luminous Adra potion +2 all skills

11) Nature's Resolve:  no cruel/aggressive choices until you visit tikawara island and eat the mushroom, +10 accuracy, +2 Resolve

12) Rabunya boon Wild Mare 2nd floor:  +1 Dex, +1 Might, +2 Res

Other:  all the skill trainers trainings, all the Sigil immunities (so great!)

Weap proficiencies:  debuffing stuff if you want

Gear: a lot of this is end-game and you'll want other stuff before getting BDD / Wall of Draining

• Head - was using Thaos Headdress from Aloth because it supposedly gives +5 accuracy and +5% dmg vs flanked targets (can flank with Chillfog, easily -but I don't seem to be getting the damage buff) ... note you should use Revku hat (and carry a wound) if you're not using the mod mentioned below
  • Rings:  Prosperity's Fortune for crit % (once you have >250K in money) and Kuaru's Prize (int, per, spell dmg)
  • Belt - at max level i was using Sash of Judgement which is +10% dmg received/taken,but don't care because BDD
  • Feet:  Footprints Ahu Taka (+priest spell casts lvl 2, +2 dex) or Sandals Water Lilly (immunity to dex/paralyze) which can be subbed by Spider Silk Robe
  • Chest:  High Harbinger Robe (+10% dmg when near death) or Mangera's Chain (+10 will and other buffs like might affliction resist)
  • Hands: Firethrower Gloves for dex, aracana - can be subbed with others for effects
  • Neck:  Third Eye from FS - +10% crit chance for spells I believe
  • Cape:  Shroud of Phantasm from Berkana Observatory - i'm guessing the hardest fight in the game (post Digsite) is this one depending on the level you do it, to get the cloak.  Once you have the cloak and BDD/Wall then Concelhaut himself shoudl be easy.  Provides 10% action speed to spells and also gives Brilliant when you take dmg (1% chance) but you take a lot of damage - duration gets extended by WoD.
  • Weapons:  Griffin Blade (if nekataka encounters working, +10% spell dmg and +5% will and other buffs), Maurx Amanth dagger soulbound (has a 10% chance to insta-repeat priest damage spells, I beleive), +PL fire weapons (Magran's Favor, Sun and Moon), others as see fit ... the Shattered Vengeance club (hat tip Raven/Victor) is nice for applying a 25% damage-taken debuff to bosses (plus your phantasms can add it) but outside of bosses/megabosses not needed ... there's regearing/repecing for megabosses, not covered here
  • Pets:  Otto Starcat when you can go *balls-out* on fire PL / dmg, otherwise Milx (+1 int, + spell crit) or Katherine cat (+1 int, +5 will) - mix as you see fit

Buff cycle depends on 2 things:

1) did you add the mod that allows lvl 8/9 spells for multiclasses, to make your life so much easier and more fun ...or

2) how fast will you die if you don't cast BDD

The mod in (1) lets you cast Crowns for the Faithful on youself, which makes you immune to interrputs (so you don't have to carry a wound with Revku hat), provides concentration, and buffs your per/int/resolve by +5 ... it also gives +1PL via Acute inspiration.  So this 1 cast lets you replace 2 casts you'd have to do separately otherwise - the Litany of Spirit (+1 PL) and Dire Blessing (Aware, not Acute) ... saving some power picks and generally making your life better ... but up to you.

Standard buff / spell cycle if not using mod:

1) pre-fight (out of combat) Llengarth Safeguard and/or drugs if needed (but you need to keep taking them since no-rest)

2) Start fight with any necessary potions like Ascension if you don't need to cast BDD right away

3) BDD or items below it if you won't die instantly -- otherwise delay BDD behind the items below

4) +1 PL spell like Litany of Spirit or Crowns, before you cast BDD if possible

5) some of:  Alacrity of Motion (Wiz), Merciless Gaze (Wiz), Dire Blessing if no mod, Devotions for the Faithful (Might and +10 acc), Champions Boon

6) Salvation of Time if you need it for BDD duration

7) Wall(s) of Draining on mobs and/or Pull of Eora to group mobs for more wall and AOE goodness

#8 Chillfog to group mobs or to damage with combusting wounds, wall of fire for combusting wounds, rays for combusting wounds on grouped Eora mobs

9) Damage spells:  Pillar of Holy Fire (hits like a truck esp when spell-shaped smaller), Freezing Pillar, Precisely Piercing Burst, Shadowflame, Storm of Holy Fire - or if you used the mod, you can cast Meteor Shower but it feels like overkill lol ... best part, dumping all these right on top of you since you can't die.  Spell shaping, rapid casting, +Penetration talents (fire, ice) ... all good!

10) all the while using your Blood Mage ability to refresh spells (esp Wall of Draining) until your Brilliant kicks in from the cape

I wrote this pretty fast but I wanted to share it around.  Some pics, including Fampyr face-tanking.

https://imgur.com/a/TfgLUlg

Open to suggestions, comments, improvements, etc.  Especially on dealing with Arcane Cleanse.

Have fun!  Until WoD gets nerrfffeeeeddddddd..............

Further thoughts:  You can use Effigy's Husk for resistance to Might Afflicitions, which will keep you from getting stunned by golems or mobs using charge.  Worth keeping around.  Also I didn't go Death Godlike (for +3 PL near death under BDD) because if you're not using the mod that lets you cast Crowns (which is lvl 8 anyway), you need the Revku helmet for immunity to interrupts and godlike can't use helmets.  Plus I think the accuracy/damage buff from humans is more useful given you get PL boosts from Priest and Bloodmage.

Edited by brasilgringo
  • Like 7

Great. But there is definitely something wrong with those pulls of whole area. 99% when you pull first pack whole place will come after you. Most of the time it save you time and you can aoe things down. Still it is not right behavior

• Like 1

Great. But there is definitely something wrong with those pulls of whole area. 99% when you pull first pack whole place will come after you. Most of the time it save you time and you can aoe things down. Still it is not right behavior

Two things:

1) Raven/Victor noted that if you go invis after the first aggro, about half the mobs will disappear - at least on Nemnok map level with Nemnok.  Apparently Arkemyr Brilliant Departure spell works, I'd assume potions of invis and Rogue-type invis spells too.

2) In the first level of splintered reef castle, this doesn't happen - the groups stay discrete / separated on the map. I actually ran through aggroing all the groups and drawing *all* of them to see how many would pound on me at once.  

I was not able to trigger Brilliant on myself with Missle strikes or Wall of Flame.  Maybe it's been coded that way, or maybe it was just bad rolls ...lots and lots of bad rolls.

I was finally able to beat the Sigilmaster boss.  It had a lot less to do with Wall of Draining and a lot more with Blood Mage spell recovery.

Something weird is going on (afaik) with the Sigil of Cleansing, as *sometimes* it rolled Misses in the combat log.  Which at first I thought had to do with having Arcane Reflection up but I can't be sure, because I'm pretty sure I had it up and the Sigil still succeeded in casting Arcane Cleanse.  I'll go back and check some more later, I suppose.

Anyway, I was able to pull it off by swapping out most of my gear for healing over time gear.  Ring of Greater Regen, Ring of Regen, Giftwrapper pet, Trollhide belt, Whiteleaf, and Lethandria's Devotion Shield (FYI the Nourishing Light enchant's heal scales with Arcana, so I respec'd - https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Lethandria%27s_Devotion). This with priest heals, Bloodmage regen, Dawnstar 50% healing and Practiced Healer talent and Ahu Taka 15% healing, and some major healing scrolls (arcana again) helped me stay healed up while I took out the Sigil of Cleansing.  While I lost my buffs when it cleansed me, at least I didn't die (staying healed).  Then it was just the passive healing keeping me topped off (with Athletics and priest spells) until finally I could get Brilliant again after taking enough damage from the other sigils and boss. 

At that point, I just started spamming Salvation of Time on myself after casting BDD and other buffs, and throwing a Wall of Draining on any sigil that was up (they have low will).  Slowly this way got my Brilliant buff and BDD buffs to over 100 seconds, and then started slowly taking out sigils and finally the boss.  Brilliant kept letting me recast Salvation of Time which kept up Brilliant. 

Anyway, the whole thing took a while and was pretty annoying.  But at least now this build has solo'd Belranga, Doru, and Sigilmaster.

I still have to do the Ooze boss and I'll probably go back to my Tactician/Bloodmage for that (easier to get Brilliant and Unbending will help), though I likely will keep using the Lethandria's Devotion shield with high arcana to help me heal thru his damage.  I guess I will stack Corrode AR items and that Cauldron Shard thing.  I watched Raven's twitch on his fight and I'm not at all excited to do it.  Might table it for a while.

Edited by brasilgringo

For fun, I've now been trying Boerer's suggestion of a Warlock.  I wanted to see if the increased casting speed and damage was worth giving up some survivability.  It's a bit more on-the-edge than Priest/Wiz.  Can't really do Furyshaper because the wards die too quickly on POTD solo.  Have to be very careful timing Potion of Final Stand (duration increases with alchemy btw) and not getting dampered.  Can stack some nice healing even with the nerfed Wall of Draining using high might, Dawnstar Blessing, Ahu Taka, and Bloodmage (before any other heal gear), plus Savage Defiance.  Trying to time interrupts of Damper with the Barbarian upgraded shout (in a line) is a little nerve-wracking.

So I did some more testing on the Bloodmage/Barbarian, and liberal use of Slicken plus the Barbarian shout that prones/interrupts carried him through Fampyr Cave / Splintered Reef / Flooded Cave ... with some uses of Potion of Final Stand, which still can be extended reasonably well with Wall of Draining even post nerf, as long as you can hit the wall targets (see Raven's suggestion to use essence interrupter bow to generate low-will mobs, or the magran belt to generate fire blight).  To tell you the truth, Tactician/Bloodmage feels stronger to me because you get more tools than Barb (which is largely action speed / recovery, as far as I can tell, with some damage buffs).  Tactician/Bloodmage lets you get Brilliant a lot faster in 95%+ of the game, without having to rely on Shroud of Phantasm cloak (which seems to be proccing less for me on the beta patch, but could be observer error).  Otherwise I'm stuck spamming Blood Sacrifice for spell recovery, which carries its own risks.

Thaumaturge means you have to rely on Shroud for Brilliant, yes.  But you do get more offensive spells - just having Pillar of Holy Fire and Storm of Holy Fire in your aresenal means you get a couple more shots on goal without having Brilliant. And once you get Brilliant, you can extend it quicker/longer using Salvation of Time on top of Wall.  You also get easier access to BDD and buffs, though you can't extend Unbending like a tactician/bloodmage (but you don't really have to in 95% of the game, because you have BDD). 

I guess the nod goes to Tactician/Bloodmage because you can always get a BDD equivalent thru Potion of Final Stand (which aren't that hard to craft, too).  But that said, nuking feels more fun with Thaumaturge because you get Storm of Holy Fire and Pillar, which do crazy maxed fire damage - and you can nuke right on yourself.

I'm wondering what if anything to mix Bloodmage with going forward that could have any better synergy that Tactcian or Thaumaturge.  The challenge I have mixing Priest with something else is the 2 nuking priest classes (Magran, Rymrgand) have nukes in spell slots that compete with Priest buffs.  I love druid but the slow spell casts and mix of too many damage types (beast, plant, decay, fire, ice, etc.) makes it seem harder to want to include. But I can't say I'm excited to do without Wall of Draining in even its nerfed state.  Open to suggestions, the more OP the better ;)

[sometimes i just want to dial back the game to non-POTD and laugh at mobs lol]

Edited by brasilgringo

I tested out (started to, anyway) a Priest of Rymrgand / Hellwalker last night - not taking much from Monk tree, just some self-buffs for speed (Swift Flurry), the thing that gives Tenacious (so I can skip Champion's Boon) and Turning-Wheel stuff and Rooting Pain, Clarity of Agony etc. (which sadly you can't click once you've been paralyzed or turned into a pig). 

Brilliant is not triggering a lot.  I'm finding I have to watch for Arcane Damper casts and either withdraw or heal thru them (athletics, priest restore, priest regen symbol).  Lack of Slicken definitely makes it harder.  Having to BDD and salvation and then basically dump all my nukes.  Having the Dicotomous Twins helps a little as it takes some enemy pressure off.  

I tried using Stunning Surge with dual aoe blunderbuss, for CC, but it doesn't seem to do much, and it friendly fires the twins - it also seems to leave me open to taking a lot more damage than when I'm holding a sheild.  Shrug.  Will keep experimenting.

I wonder if there's anything more interesting than Tactician to pair with Bloodmage.  Perma-Brilliant is hard to beat.  I saw one of the modded Rymrgand sets has Chillfog as its first level cast.  So I suppose there's a modded Rymrgand/Tactician build to think about. Still would miss speed buffs tho.  Maybe potions.  Come to think of it, isn't there a subclass modded to be useable from Tekhu that has Chillfog as well?  Maybe there's a druid/tactician build, again just have to deal with speed boosts and the bigger issue being no power to extend buffs (no Wall of Draining or Salvation of Time). Open to suggestions.

Edited by brasilgringo

I wonder. The Shieldbearers of St.Elcga has LoH which prevent death. Not sure if it work on self, but wonder if it can somehow replace BDD

If it works on self, you'd want to pair it with a class that can extend its effect - which presumably is either preist (thru Savlation of Time) or Wizzy (thru Wall of Draining).

Worth testing if you have time.  Does Paladin come with enough other goodies that it is worth taking over priest to get a BDD effect?

If it works on self, you'd want to pair it with a class that can extend its effect - which presumably is either preist (thru Savlation of Time) or Wizzy (thru Wall of Draining).

Worth testing if you have time.  Does Paladin come with enough other goodies that it is worth taking over priest to get a BDD effect?

Was thinking about Arcane Knight after i finish game with Battlemage.

Will test this, Slayer's Claw (On scoring kill: Suspend hostile effects for 8.0 sec) teamed with Sacred Immolation and Virtuous Triumph

Was thinking about Arcane Knight after i finish game with Battlemage.

Will test this, Slayer's Claw (On scoring kill: Suspend hostile effects for 8.0 sec) teamed with Sacred Immolation and Virtuous Triumph

Worth testing, though if your goal is to have a melee-based wizard Tactician/BloodMage may still be better due to ease of getting brilliant, and then just use Potion of Final Stand for those moments when you need to approach a cannot-die situation.  Not sure pally offers enough other tools to make a melee build worthwhile.  Or even a spellcasting build. Curious what you come up with.

EDIT:  in-game tooltip for me says only prevents death when used on allies.  Anyone test?

Edited by brasilgringo

• 2 weeks later...

Did I miss it or didn't you say which Priest subclass you used?

Fair question.  I've tested a bunch.  Honestly I believe the best is Woedica both unmodded and using the Dynamic Priests mod.  Because you get great utility spells (e.g., Writ of Sorcery) and you also get Pillar of Holy Fire for free (unomodded).  In the Dynamic priests mod, it just gets even better. 

The Writ spells from Woedica are nice additions to the arsenal, fairly unique, generally large AOEs long-lasting with high Int.  You still have enough power picks for the key priest powers/talents.  

I'm still massively angry that Writ of Sorcery doesn't work on the Cleansing Sigil (afaik), but it definitely does on actual mobs -- shuts down all caster mobs. 

Pillar of Holy Fire and Storm of Holy Fire are amazing with +5 Fire PL items (axe, flail, cat), too and even unmodded you get 1 "Free" - modded you get +PL because they both are coded as Punishment/Condem, which is a bonus PL in the Dynamic Priest mod for Wodica. 

For less pain self-buffing, I recommend using the mod that opens up level 8-9 spells and only taking Crowns for the Faithful if you want to be "pure" -- it just eliminates 1-2 other buffs you'd have to do every fight.

I just tested Wall of Draining with the latest patch and it is not extending the duration of my buffs. My enemies have no buffs of their own, but the wall supposedly works even on unbuffed enemies. Is anyone getting this ability to work on unbuffed enemies with the latest patch?

I just tested Wall of Draining with the latest patch and it is not extending the duration of my buffs. My enemies have no buffs of their own, but the wall supposedly works even on unbuffed enemies. Is anyone getting this ability to work on unbuffed enemies with the latest patch?

That would be a pretty huge nerf if the patch stealth-fixed that. I'd have to rip up my own deathless thaumaturge variant. You're definitely "hitting" the enemies?

Edited by thelee

Hmm, it doesn’t seem to work with the enemy summoned by “SpawnPrefabAtMouse cre_dummy,” but worked with another enemy.

Hmm, it doesn’t seem to work with the enemy summoned by “SpawnPrefabAtMouse cre_dummy,” but worked with another enemy.

Tried a few other enemy types via console and it appears that cre_dummy might be an exception; all other enemy types were drained successfully. Sorry for the false alarm.

Edited by hugin7