Is there a point to getting weapon proficiency if not using modal?

Off the top of my head it only matters for the Devoted subclass, and the Fighter abilities Weapon Specialization and Weapon Mastery (additional damage when using proficient weapons). Additionally, the unique large shield from Beast of Winter, the Wintertide Bulwark, has an enchantment that modifies the large shield modal.

• Like 1

Thanks. Is the Sword modal as bad as I think? +2 pen is nice, but -15 Deflection seems like a steep price.

When you're not attacked (much) and underpenetrating it's not bad.

It's a modal. It is meant to be an option situationally interesting, which it is.

Plus it is nice for Undying Titan build (see below) or Tier IX Barbarian Retaliation.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/103525-single-class-fighter-build-the-undying-titan/

Thanks. Is the Sword modal as bad as I think? +2 pen is nice, but -15 Deflection seems like a steep price.

I'd argue it's one of the better modals in the game. Consider the alternatives of swapping to another weapon or turning on an alternative modal. If you swap to a higher penetration weapon, you take a base damage loss; if you turn on an alternative's penetration modal you lose DPS through higher recovery.

Taking a deflection penalty via the sword modal instead is very similar to dumping resolve to boost might or dexterity, conceptually. You'd prefer DEX or MGT on a DPS character to resolve, right? Sword modal is preferable to sabre modal for the same reasons. It's one of the few really compelling reasons to use a sword (besides good uniques, of course).

• Like 1

Being able to turn on -15 Deflection self-debuff can also be an asset if you use items that trigger when your character is hit by a crit (e.g., Crimson Panoply has a 50% chance to trigger Frenzy when the wearer is hit by a crit).  Once you get the desired effect, turn off the modal.  

Sword modal is great for a single class Barbarian who wants to rely on Barbaric Retaliation.

Frenzy: -10 Deflection

Half-Sword: -15 Deflection

Flanked: -10 Deflection

Crits here into my face please! ;)

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Sword modal is great for a single class Barbarian who wants to rely on Barbaric Retaliation.

Mmm, do they stack ?

If they do, it's indeed good for barbaric retaliation.

If they don't, it's not good for this build but it's very good in general. It makes half-sword basically free for frenzied barbarian (except bersekers who don't care).

Mmm, do they stack ?

If they don't, it's not good for this build but it's very good in general. It makes half-sword basically free for frenzied barbarian (except bersekers who don't care).

Half-Swording most likely doesn't stack with Frenzy. I remember people complaining about PEN from modal not stacking with PEN from Tenacious, that is granted by Frenzy if you're Berserker.

Vancian =/= per rest.

What about with a Rogue? I use the modal with Duskfall and Modwyr.

It works with each class, but I don't think it has specific synergies with Rogue (except its glasscannonish nature).

If Rogues are flanking or attacking from stealth, they don't need to worry bout deflection as much, so the penalty isn't as severe. Tricksters even moreso. And Duskfall has a +2 Pen bonus as well iirc.

Edited by Verde

Mmm, do they stack ?

Half-Swording most likely doesn't stack with Frenzy. I remember people complaining about PEN from modal not stacking with PEN from Tenacious, that is granted by Frenzy if you're Berserker.

Just to be sure: We are talking about the deflection malus, not the PEN. :)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Mmm, do they stack ?

Just to be sure: We are talking about the deflection malus, not the PEN. :)

Yes.

What i mean is that Frenzy does not stack with a modal. So the "biggest bonus + biggest malus" rule apply.

Vancian =/= per rest.

I still don't understand how you can half sword whilst using a large shield?????

Or half-sword two swords. Breaks my mind trying to imagine this.

Just for a reference, hope nobody minds:

Edited by Franknstein
  • Like 3

Hey, you wanna hear a good joke?

Nobody speak, nobody get choked

I still don't understand how you can half sword whilst using a large shield?????

Or half-sword two swords. Breaks my mind trying to imagine this.

Just for a reference, hope nobody minds:

Yeah I mean, after watching Skalla and Schologladiatoria and that it can really put me off seeing stuff like half swording with 2 swords. 

nowt