Question: Arcane Cleanse

brasilgringo

Question

The tooltip for Arcane Cleanse (lvl 9 wiz spell) doesn't show what it rolls against, as far as I can tell ... is it Will or something else?  There's no accuracy shown either.  Looking at combat log provides no details as to what its to-hit check is.  Is it auto-hit?  Can it not be resisted? 

Does Arcane Reflection work against it?

By comparison Arcane Damper shows a to-hit check against will.

13 answers to this question

Why? You can just recast your buffs. Arcane Dampener is more annoying. Even if it grazes.

Because if you're dead, you can't recast ... under BDD, you die when this hits as many other things are pounding on you.  Same with, potentially, the many mobs on the Deck of Many Things attacking you all at once.

An unresistable attack that strips all your buffs -- and that can be constantly recast by a Sigil -- doesn't seem really fair.  Arcane Damper *can* be resisted reliably with high will, for comparison.

That said, I'm not here to debate its merits.  I'm here hoping someone from Obsidian will provide some missing details on Arcane Cleanse and what it targets (if anything) and if it in fact can be resisted or at least blocked by Arcane Reflection.  Just the facts, please, ma'am.

Edited by brasilgringo

Did you experience a wizard who was casting Arcane Cleanse on you? I didn't.

I guess your biggest concern atm is that your latest build might not be able to resist everything...? ;)

Fair enough - however, I tested Arcane Cleanse just for you and here are the factual results (4.0.1):

- It's an auto-hit (like Thrust of Tattered Veils and Minor Missiles)

- It can't be reflected because it's not a targeted spell but an (friendly fire) AoE spell; in fact the reflection spell will get removed as well. :lol:

- It can be resisted by Spell Resistance (like from Xoti's Lantern, Mage Slayer passive, the general passive ability and so on - chances stack multiplicatively, meaning that 20% & 20% don't result in 40% but rather get evaluated one after the other which means 0.8*0.8-1 = 36%)

Neutral bystanders will see this as an offensive spell and turn hostile if they get hit.

Since it's friendly fire and the AoE is huuuge you can easily hit your party members and bystanders with it accidentially.

Since there are other spells that have no attack resolution (see above) and since that's intended I guess it's the same case here. But there have been cases where devs simply forgot to add the attack resolution (Charge for example) and patched it in later. This may also be the case here. This last part is open to discussion.

You are welcome missus. ;)

edit: terrible typos

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Did you experience a wizard who was casting Arcane Cleanse on you? I didn't.

I guess your biggest concern atm is that your latest build might not be able to resist everything...? ;)

Fair enough - however, I tested Arcane Clwanse just for you and here are the factual results (4.0.1):

- It's an auto-hit (like Thrust of Tattered Veils and Minor Missiles as well)

- It can't be reflected because it's not a targeted spell but (friendly fire) AoE; in fact the reflection spell will get removed as well. :lol:

- It can be resisted by spell resistance (like from Xoti's Lantern, Mage Slayer passive, the passive ability and so on - chances stack multiplicatively, meaning that 20% & 20% don't result in 40% but rather get evaluated one after the other which means 0.8*0.8-1 = 36%)

Neutral bystanders will see this as an offensive spell and turn hostile if they get hit.

Since it's friendly fire and the AoE is huuuge you can easily hit your party members and baystanders with it accidentially.

Since there are other spells that have no attack resolution (see above) and since that's intended I guess it's the same case here. But there have been cases where devs smply forgot to add the attack resolution (Charge for example) and patched it in later. This my also be the case here. THis last part is open to discussion.

You are welcome missus. ;)

Thanks Boerer.  

Mages I have seen cast Arcane Cleanse, at least on PoTD.

1) Concelhaut during the Berkana Observatory battle

2) Mobs (forget which, a few do it) during the Deck of Many Things ship battle (if you attack them once on their ship)

I'll see if I can remember any more.  My latest ideas was that something that shuts down spellcasting like Writ of Sorcery should avoid Arcane Cleanse being used while the mob is under the effect of Writ of Sorcery.  Tested very quickly very late last night, it seemed to work on Concelhaut.  However it did NOT seem to work on the Cleansing Sigil at Sigilmaster megaboss -- the Sigil showed the effect of being under Writ of Sorcery, but still cast Cleanse.  Which would seem to be Shenanigans if it is the case, I mean come on really?

Further testing will be done. 

Ah ok. Good to know enemies also profit from that auto-hits weirdness. ;)

I tend to play interrupt-heavy. Maybe that's why I seldomly see those (lengthy) high level spells taking effect. Also Arcane Dampener (as reported by others to be a major pain in the backside) doesn't bother me a lot.

I guess that sigil is just an oversight? Did you try to hit it with a Mage Slayer?

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

As an aside, you can temporarily shut down the Cleansing Sigil (and all the other sigils) during the Sigilmaster fight by targeting it with Arcane Dampener when it’s globe of invulnerability goes down.

when do i cast arcane dampener? can i cast it pre emptively? so meaning can i cast arcane dampener on it before its globe of invulnerability goes down?

As an aside, you can temporarily shut down the Cleansing Sigil (and all the other sigils) during the Sigilmaster fight by targeting it with Arcane Dampener when it’s globe of invulnerability goes down.

when do i cast arcane dampener? can i cast it pre emptively? so meaning can i cast arcane dampener on it before its globe of invulnerability goes down?

You have to cast it when the globe of invulnerability goes down.  IIRC, there's usually a delay between when the globe of invulnerability goes down and when the sigil starts using its abilities.  

You have to cast it when the globe of invulnerability goes down.  IIRC, there's usually a delay between when the globe of invulnerability goes down and when the sigil starts using its abilities.  

Yeah that's what I'm trying to figure out but I keep timing it wrong. It's either I do it just a little bit too early or too late.