@brasilgringo arcane dampener doesn't remove anything, it just suspends. Pick priest of skaen and when you see arcane dampener coming your way just "shadow beyond" and become untargetable and out of range(or even reset the encounter) . If you didn't see it and was hit by AD and you are quick enough You can "shadow beyond" before killing blow, only some DOTs on you can be a problem in this case. But keeping BDD, brilliant and full health isn't impossible, nobody says that You have to hang on 1hp during BDD.

Ps what's insane about that cloak (I've played skaen/wizard with that cloak just after it was introduced) that Mind over Matter (brilliant buff) doesn't end when combat ends, similar to lenghrat safeguard. So you could hit brilliant on first skuldr in old city and buff yourself with SoT into crazy durations ( brilliant and lenghrat safeguard) and be brilliant until giant curb. But it was hard to pull of, I was basically shooting myself with limited missiles to proc it(lots of reloads). Blood mage have way more missiles, especially 1st level ones...

Since usually I was running at 1hp when damper hit, and surrounded by mobs, like all the fampyrs and related at Sea-Lashed Crypt, damper hitting was a guaranteed death. Because during the time BDD is suspended, something will for sure hit you. It can be avoided by stacking resolve buffs and will buffs (llengraths, Griffin blade, mangera chain) plus Stat buffs, but you have to give on another star area like dex (to keep str / int / per high along resolve, dumping Dex and Con).

EDIT:  Sigilmaster megaboss is *very* hard due to boss itself casting Arcane Damper and the sigil of Cleansing casting Arcane Cleanse (which is a level 9 wizard spell,and I can't find what it rolls against ... I can't seem to resist it with 199 will).

Not sure Skaen is the right subclass. I tried Harvester of Gaub for the lvl 1 spell that can crit for over 300, Blessed Harvest, but I'm not liking the other automatic choices for spells it gives you. In my testing, Pillar of Holy Fire is reliably crritting for 180+ in aoe which for non fire immune makes it seemingly better than Ninagauth Pillar,but not sure. Marux Aumanth priest dagger seems to give it a chance to double cast but not sure if mathematically better than holding two +PL fire items.

Toyed with idea if wodeica priest for the toolset of unique spells but not sure worth it. That is, would o really use the writs that much? You'rr basically face taking with BDD and trying to get Brilliant, so the writs aren't as useful perhaps.

Magran might be worth it to cover the fire side and therefore free up Priest spell slots for the buffs and let wiz spells focus on frost with Ninagauth and self buffs.

As far as I can see you want Dire Blessing, Champions Boon, BDD, Salv of Time, and maybe minor avatar and litany of spirit (for the +PL, which I'm hoping stacks with Blood Magee +1 wiz PL). Then you can mix in self buffs or offensive spells. You can stand in your own damage circles as well, just like the Electric Dyslexic build showed. Maybe start with drugs like Coral Snuff or Deadeye depending on needs. Human is a given for the acc/damage buffs under BDD and you can still use Revku hat with 1 injury to prevent interrupts.

It's going to take a long time to get to BDD and Wall of Draining tho (lvl 14 or something?) and also get the cape from Berkana Obs. Assuming solo. Faster and easier in a party. Frankly it doesn't seem as OP as people are saying. Especially given the high maintenance involved. Each fight has ramp time

Edited by brasilgringo
  • Like 1

Fyi the Minolta pbaoe spell also does 200+ damage around you if you can get surrounded. It ignores armor so seems pretty powerful.

EDIT:  it's Minoleta's Precisely Piercing Burst, pbaoe, and it was hitting Doru for example from between 130(grazes) to 250+ (hits/crits). 

Edited by brasilgringo

Fyi the Minolta pbaoe spell also does 200+ damage around you if you can get surrounded. It ignores armor so seems pretty powerful.

EDIT:  it's Minoleta's Precisely Piercing Burst, pbaoe, and it was hitting Doru for example from between 130(grazes) to 250+ (hits/crits).

Does it target reflex? And whats the percentage of hitting Dorudugan with it?

It was useful mostly against bosses, and as long You can hit few enemies with one wall you gonna extend yours buffs, it's just gonna take longer to reach desired duration. Only problem can be metal one but he can be cheesed with Lover's Embrace by any class.

Edited by Waski

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg

It was useful mostly against bosses, and as long You can hit few enemies with one wall you gonna extend yours buffs, it's just gonna take longer to reach desired duration. Only problem can be metal one but he can be cheesed with Lover's Embrace by any class.

I thought the lover's embace raw damage DOT (after a strike from stealth) expires after (x) seconds ... are you saying it's permanent like gouging strike?

Till the end of the fight, I don't know if in the normal encounter bleeding would not prevent battle from stopping. But it isn't the case with the bosses (no way to finish encounter except win or loss).

Edited by Waski

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg

Wall stacking is only necessary if there is no low defence enemy in the fight.

Any fight with ads still works with one wall and for fights without ads you simply use Belt of Magran's chosen for the blight.

(Start out with killing your own phantom's with essence interrupter until the blight is actually there, since it can take a while)

Stacking walls on low def targets did make the buff duration go up faster. but having just one 50 will blight will still make the durations increase.

In fights with ads you might be able to hit several enemies with one wall which will still be super fast.

• Like 1

I also need to find a way to self-generate Brilliant using Shroud of Phantom after being Cleansed, probably via self-damage (missiles, walls) if that still works.  Otherwise I can't see how to clear Sigilmaster on a non-Tactician/Battlemage wizard.

Edited by brasilgringo

• 1 year later...
On 1/11/2019 at 12:37 AM, Raven Darkholme said:

Didn't have time to stream today, since we're moving soon and I spent most of the day packing, but while theorycrafting on the side, mainly thinking about how to stack Walls of draining quicker vs Dorudugan, which I found an answer too with belt of Magran's chosen, I alos realized you can use Wall of Draining for Potions of the fiunal stand!

How do you manage to get those defenses, i would like to see your character out of fight...
Could you post a screenshot of your abilities + passives for your Battlemage please.
defenses.thumb.jpg.7c0719fb6936c84b0ae25989d1fd6a5c.jpg

Edited by fced

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...

Those defenses are not exceptionally high (he's not using maxed out defensive gear). You can't even see some of the bonuses because they are circumstancial (e.g. Nomad's Brigandine gives a deflection bonus against ranged- or melee-only attacks - depends on the enchantment - which are not listed here). Reflex is higher due to Weapon & Shield Style (and maybe some more points in DEX/PER). Since he's a Wizard he can cast self buffs - and he also uses per-rest bonuses and consumables.

I can't remember if it was a SC Wizard or not, but some defensive buffs do stack. For example Wizard's defense buffs do stack with Vigorous Defense (Fighter) - except Llengrath's Safeguard's - which leads to very high defenses in general. Also Paladin's passives stack with Wizard's defense buffs. 

You can reach defenses over 200 if you want to. 

His elemental AR is high because he's a Pale Elf.  

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

On 3/23/2020 at 10:46 AM, Boeroer said:

Those defenses are not exceptionally high (he's not using maxed out defensive gear). You can't even see some of the bonuses because they are circumstancial (e.g. Nomad's Brigandine gives a deflection bonus against ranged- or melee-only attacks - depends on the enchantment - which are not listed here). Reflex is higher due to Weapon & Shield Style (and maybe some more points in DEX/PER). Since he's a Wizard he can cast self buffs - and he also uses per-rest bonuses and consumables.

I can't remember if it was a SC Wizard or not, but some defensive buffs do stack. For example Wizard's defense buffs do stack with Vigorous Defense (Fighter) - except Llengrath's Safeguard's - which leads to very high defenses in general. Also Paladin's passives stack with Wizard's defense buffs. 

You can reach defenses over 200 if you want to. 

His elemental AR is high because he's a Pale Elf.  

I didn't payed attention to elemental resistance, but to the deflection = 132  and reflexes 193 .?? Could it be because the use  of a medium shield ? in POE or Deadfire, I used a shield at the beginning of the game  until i got some good stuff i switched to dual wielding...

ABout   Ajamuut's_Stalking_Cloak, it is said : "+5% Damage to weapon attacks made from stealth, +5 Accuracy to weapon attacks made from stealth, Attacks made from stealth Stun the target"
Does this mean attack when crouching and attacking an ennemy before beeing in battle ? or is this stealth attack = stealth attack conditions = enemy must be flanked + one or two negatives status ?

Edited by fced

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...

Attacks from stealth (and invisibility) - the attacks you make at the start of combat out of stealth mode (if you didn't get discovered). Not Sneak Attack (the rogue ability).

It works with every class as long as you can't be seen when attacking (stealth/invisibility).

Edited by Boeroer
  • Thanks 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 2 weeks later...

On 3/29/2020 at 11:43 AM, fced said:

I didn't payed attention to elemental resistance, but to the deflection = 132  and reflexes 193 .?? Could it be because the use  of a medium shield ? in POE or Deadfire, I used a shield at the beginning of the game  until i got some good stuff i switched to dual wielding...

ABout   Ajamuut's_Stalking_Cloak, it is said : "+5% Damage to weapon attacks made from stealth, +5 Accuracy to weapon attacks made from stealth, Attacks made from stealth Stun the target"
Does this mean attack when crouching and attacking an ennemy before beeing in battle ? or is this stealth attack = stealth attack conditions = enemy must be flanked + one or two negatives status ?

Late reply but yeah those defenses are mostly from shield (weapon and shield style for the insane reflex) and buffs like Llengraths as Boeroer stated.

edit: also defenses don't do anything for me in case that wasn't clear and are nowhere high enough for any of the megaboss fights.

Edited by Raven Darkholme
  • Thanks 1