Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

v4.1.0 is now available on the Beta Branch

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

thelee

thelee

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1725 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Hello everyone! We are doing a small update to our Beta Branch for both Steam and GoG. Full patch notes will be available once we set the patch live in the upcoming weeks. The following major changes have been addressed:

Patch 4.1.0.0019

• Optimized performance when targeting attacks, particularly large AoEs.
  • Only one Wall of Draining can be active at any given time.
  • Random encounters in Neketaka are guaranteed to appear after a certain number of transitions.
  • Reworked ship combat UI is no longer present in build.
  • Spoiler

WTF "fixing" Wall of Draining when you haven't addressed the fact that Arcane Cleanse apparently cannot be resisted and has no visible to-hit roll against any kind of defense, so we can't at all see how to block it (and Arcane Reflection doesn't work). 

I think that's the whole point of Arcane Cleanse.

It mirrors the D&D spell Mordenkainen's Disjunction, which irrevocably dispelled and even disenchanted items with no save (and had a 1% per level chance of even disenchanting an artifact, which could attract the attention of extraplanar beings). like Arcane Cleanse it was only available at max spell level, and as such *really* had to justify being powerful over the much lower level AL3 Dispel Magic erm I mean Arcane Suppression.

Personally I think it would be great if Arcane Cleanse also at least blinked out or even disenchanted items, would make it ever more useful in high level fights. That's one downside of the per-encounter system versus the classic D&D style is that it's too afraid to make permanent or persistent changes to your characters.

Edited by thelee, 18 January 2019 - 11:00 AM.

• darkcharl and InsaneCommander like this

brasilgringo

brasilgringo

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 377 posts

Hello everyone! We are doing a small update to our Beta Branch for both Steam and GoG. Full patch notes will be available once we set the patch live in the upcoming weeks. The following major changes have been addressed:

Patch 4.1.0.0019

• Optimized performance when targeting attacks, particularly large AoEs.
  • Only one Wall of Draining can be active at any given time.
  • Random encounters in Neketaka are guaranteed to appear after a certain number of transitions.
  • Reworked ship combat UI is no longer present in build.
  • Spoiler

WTF "fixing" Wall of Draining when you haven't addressed the fact that Arcane Cleanse apparently cannot be resisted and has no visible to-hit roll against any kind of defense, so we can't at all see how to block it (and Arcane Reflection doesn't work). 

I think that's the whole point of Arcane Cleanse.

It mirrors the D&D spell Mordenkainen's Disjunction, which irrevocably dispelled and even disenchanted items with no save (and had a 1% per level chance of even disenchanting an artifact, which could attract the attention of extraplanar beings). like Arcane Cleanse it was only available at max spell level, and as such *really* had to justify being powerful over the much lower level AL3 Dispel Magic erm I mean Arcane Suppression.

Personally I think it would be great if Arcane Cleanse also at least blinked out or even disenchanted items, would make it ever more useful in high level fights. That's one downside of the per-encounter system versus the classic D&D style is that it's too afraid to make permanent or persistent changes to your characters.

For me the biggest issue is that the tool-tip or mousing over the spell (Arcane Cleanse) doesn't give any clear insight into how it works or what it rolls against.  I've had it Miss against me (it did yesterday) but even mousing over the combat log did not provide clear detalis on what it rolled against to Miss.  I didn't even know Missing was possible for it before I saw the combat log.

It would be helpful for Obsidian to actually comment which nobody from Obsidian officially has done.

Plus, if they're going to keep it as 100% unresistable, at least some sort of telegraph or spell icon that makes is REALLY VISIBLE that Arcane Cleanse is being casted would be helpful.  Maybe there is one for mobs, but afaik the Sigils at Sigilmaster have no such spell-casting icons.  Plus in my testing the Sigils 100% resisted the effects of Writ of Sorcery (which should shut down all spell-casting) - it showed as being active on them, but the Cleansing sigil still kept casting Arcane Cleanse.  Shenanigans.   

(The way it is today, the Cleansing Sigil turns active and with basically no lag seems to cast Damper or Cleanse).

I have a similar issue with the Ooze megaboss attack that has Damper/Cleanse effect - maybe there is a really visible telegraph to it (like Doro's fireballs) but I haven't noticed it yet.

Edited by brasilgringo, 18 January 2019 - 11:19 AM.

darkcharl

darkcharl

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Just confirming that the fix for the radeon issue worked for me.

Edited by darkcharl, 23 January 2019 - 01:41 PM.

Verde

Verde

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1658 posts
  • Steam:DragonSoundxSG
They have bigger issues than explaining one spell, when most of the summons and Vela don't work correctly and we STILL have modals for weapons we arent using. Plus the Forgotten Sanctum DLC doesn't even start for some ppl.

Edited by Verde, 24 January 2019 - 02:45 AM.

• thelee likes this

zarasque

zarasque

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts

Just started a game in turn based mode and Eder doesn't get Constant Recovery as a free action like said in the description but instead it's launched automaticaly when the fight start .... . What is the point of a heal that only start a few round if it start before you're damaged? Especially since if you put your cursor on Constant Recovery in the skill tree it says "Free" so it should be a regular free action not something that trigger automatically at the start of the fight!

thelee

thelee

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1725 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Just started a game in turn based mode and Eder doesn't get Constant Recovery as a free action like said in the description but instead it's launched automaticaly when the fight start .... . What is the point of a heal that only start a few round if it start before you're damaged? Especially since if you put your cursor on Constant Recovery in the skill tree it says "Free" so it should be a regular free action not something that trigger automatically at the start of the fight!

Constant Recovery already works like this in real-time-with-pause mode, why would it be any different in turn-based mode?

Frak

Frak

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 444 posts

As thelee points out, Constant Recovery is a passive. It's a fighter-self-heal that runs for a certain time. Likely because they are amped up on special fighter-adrenaline.

[Only 20 pires for two ounces. Get yours today. Makes you smell all musky and have the bar for yourself at the local tavern. Also helps in combat.]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users