it seems i still suxs with ship battles. my canoneer 3-4 stars and even i hold to get accuracy, cannonball sometimes miss sometimes hit the sail. where as enemy turn, they have high damage and accuracy as well.  even i'm about to win some of those cannons will still miss. some battles feel kind of ridiculous. enemy keep closing in distance and you try to keep the distance away.. it just keep repeating without giving up.

same goes with when they hold, you know they are going to fire up. so you keep full sailing and they keep holding. once you give up they hit you with massive high accuracy high damage. you use the negate and you still end up getting hit with 4-5 cannons. basically they can wipe you in just 2 rounds of shooting.

i have a dhow with most of the crew 3-4 stars. i use double bronzers and i position on the distance as well. i read about the guide few months back it doesn't seems as easy as people said. imperial long gun? heck enemy ships have them as well. 

Charge

Board

Kill everyone.

I guarantee that to be more fun, and less time consuming that jibing around for 20 minutes waiting for your cannons to reload.

I’ve done both and I have to disagree. Mainly because I can’t win boarding fights until I’ve beefed up the team quite a bit, whereas I’m leve 6 right now and I’m

The scourge of the freaking Deadfire with my ship.

Archaven- if you dig a bit there is a great thread of ship combat where Gromnir and others lay out exactly how to do it. Ive been having a blast every since, pun intended thank you very much.

Short answer - get double bronzers ASAP, close to within range of cannons (under 350), turn, then HOLD POSITION ONE TURN, blast, jive, hold, blast, rinse repeat until they are dead. Easy and fun

"Fun" is probably an overstatement.  But it's certainly faster and less tedious than boarding battles.  And with 4.0's infinitely respawning high-level ships, the aggregate loot differential between boarding and sinking no longer matters-- no reason to hold off on hitting all those pinatas early (with cannons). 

I love boarding battles. Maybe my single favorite part of the game. Can't get enough of them.

I love the flavor (the camera movement at the beginning, the music, the shouting sounds and taunts from the crew), and I love that four of the people not in my party are randomly selected to fight with me, not under my control. It makes me care about them: gearing them, leveling them, writing good AI scripts for them (since they use those in the boarding battles when I can't control them); it makes me grateful to them for helping me win the fight! Makes me feel much more plugged into my whole party, even the sidekicks I never use.

With Berath's challenge I even have to care about protecting and healing them during the fight, since if they die they are dead permanently. That is a little frustrating, but on the whole adds more fun and challenge.

Edited by TheMetaphysician
  • Like 1

turn to port

fire or hold

fire if hold

prepare to jibe

hold

fire

prepare to jibe

hold 

fire

lvl 8 sinking lvl 19

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/107530-principi-lose-reputation-fast/?p=2127692

with cannons found in shipwrecks and with the BB sails and hull tho it was not necessary for this fight.

Sometimes enemy tries to board, in which case targeting sails or crew might be preferable to targetting hull.

---

edit: it took 7 rounds which I believe is faster than boarding. Tho the loot is not as good.

Edited by knownastherat

Have you looked into getting some sail, hull, wheel, anchor, and lantern upgrades? I'm playing a fully upgraded dhow with double bronzers and can take out galleons and junks pretty regularly. Upgrades really help with your combat speed as well.

i have improved warship reinforcement (+15 hull health) and stormwind sails. i did check on wheel, anchor and lantern. it seems like not really significant. do they really make a big difference? i honestly have no idea what i'm doing wrong though.

turn to port

fire or hold

fire if hold

prepare to jibe

hold

fire

prepare to jibe

hold 

fire

lvl 8 sinking lvl 19

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/107530-principi-lose-reputation-fast/?p=2127692

with cannons found in shipwrecks and with the BB sails and hull tho it was not necessary for this fight.

Sometimes enemy tries to board, in which case targeting sails or crew might be preferable to targetting hull.

---

edit: it took 7 rounds which I believe is faster than boarding. Tho the loot is not as good.

The loot no change.

For non-Rathun, non-Voyagers:

Equip 6 Double Bronzers. (Basing this on your saying you already sail a Dhow.)  Engage enemy.  Full Sail until you're within the 250-350 range of your cannons.  Turn.  Hold.  Fire.  Jibe.  Hold.  Fire.  Repeat as necessary.

You'll need to interrupt this sequence if the enemy manages to injure an important crewmember or trigger a bad random effect, like a fire or a crewmember overboard. 

If you're engaging an enemy that you clearly overmatch, use Chain Shot until sails are destroyed before trying to sink.  (Chances are they'll try to flee.)  

For Voyagers: 

Sub in cannons with a wider range interval on one side of your ship.  (Long Guns, Royal Bronzers, etc.)  These suckers move around too much.  Disabling Sails first is usually a good move.

For Rathun:

Use the same cannon loadout as with Voyagers.  These guys like to get real close, set you on fire, then ram and board.  But they have low crew numbers, all but one of the spots above-decks, and no spot for a Surgeon.  The countermeasure, thus, is Grapeshot.  Injure nearly all of their crew, and they're sitting ducks. 

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 4