Dear friends,

I've been browsing reddit and the forums etc trying to find a definitive answer to this question:

I watched some vids of people massacring powerful fights using food buffs like captain's banquet etc. Pretty insane and I can't wait to try it.

However, I cut my teeth on older games where resting 'was to be avoided' because of random encounters, quests expiring. Hell I remember playing Quest for Glory IV and Katrina wouldn't even show up at night and you'd break the entire game as Mage if you didn't get outside on the right night.

I definitely don't want to debate the merits of the system (plenty of threads around there). Rather, what I'd like to ask is:

• Are there currently any penalties for resting, beyond the cost of the expensive food?

I did experience the Valera and Bardetto quest where if they are planning the heist, and you wait too long, the heist goes ahead and you could potentially be shut out of the peaceful resolution outcome.

In your experience, are there many quests like this in Deadfire? Or am I ok, whenever I find a hard fight (I'm trying it harder difficulty than I usually do) to buff up if I feel like I need it? 

I don't want to rest after every fight to clear injuries, and I don't want to abuse the summon trinkets (though I may use this to make ship combat quicker), but I do want to know simply if there are penalties I of which I should be aware if I buff up before fights?

Dear friends,

I've been browsing reddit and the forums etc trying to find a definitive answer to this question:

I watched some vids of people massacring powerful fights using food buffs like captain's banquet etc. Pretty insane and I can't wait to try it.

However, I cut my teeth on older games where resting 'was to be avoided' because of random encounters, quests expiring. Hell I remember playing Quest for Glory IV and Katrina wouldn't even show up at night and you'd break the entire game as Mage if you didn't get outside on the right night.

I definitely don't want to debate the merits of the system (plenty of threads around there). Rather, what I'd like to ask is:

• Are there currently any penalties for resting, beyond the cost of the expensive food?

I did experience the Valera and Bardetto quest where if they are planning the heist, and you wait too long, the heist goes ahead and you could potentially be shut out of the peaceful resolution outcome.

In your experience, are there many quests like this in Deadfire? Or am I ok, whenever I find a hard fight (I'm trying it harder difficulty than I usually do) to buff up if I feel like I need it? 

I don't want to rest after every fight to clear injuries, and I don't want to abuse the summon trinkets (though I may use this to make ship combat quicker), but I do want to know simply if there are penalties I of which I should be aware if I buff up before fights?

IME, there are very few quests where time matters. The Valera and Bardetto quest in particular is kind of "special" to me because of the myraid ways you can subtly screw up outcomes from what you want. It might be the only one where time matters (frankly I didn't even know they would go through with the heist without you). I've parked on pretty much any other quest without consequence.

If you turn on Magran's Fire challenges, you can develop other costs to rest under the Eothas or Rymrgand challenges.

Dear friends,

Resting removes "temporary" buffs (esp. those that you can only get once per playthrough) like Nature's Resolve and the ones from the alchemy pool at Outcast's Respite and the Dawnstar's Blessing (+heal) from Port Maje, and I think shrines (and some shrines compete with food buffs).  The no-rest runs are done to maintain and stack all those temporary buffs.  You can easily play without them (esp with full party).  Just be aware.

Edited by brasilgringo

Good answers. With regards to quest expiration, I've only heard of the one quest you mentioned. So the answer you're most likely looking for is "no". You can rest without penalties.

Nerf Troubadour!