Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What would you like for an hypotetical PoE3?

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

Poll: In case there is a PoE3, what story would you like? (75 member(s) have cast votes)

In case there is a PoE3, what story would you like?

1. Continue the Watcher's saga (46 votes [61.33%])

Percentage of vote: 61.33%

2. Start a new history with a new character (29 votes [38.67%])

Percentage of vote: 38.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

freche

freche

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

I hope for it to tone down a great bit. I don't want to save the world just for the sake of saving it, make the story again about my character.

That's what I liked about BG1 and PoE1, I'm not on a mission from some god saving the world. I'm out there for my own reasons saving myself, and during the journey the bigger plot is revealed (but it doesn't necessary has to be world saving), but the bigger part is not the reason I begin my journey and not the reason why I end it.

I hope to see all new characters, both main and companions.

Some cameos could be fine. But as party members I feel Edér has done his part and the other ones I really don't care about, especially not from Deadfire.

Also avoid open world and bring back the traveling system of PoE. It has the same functionality you travel from map to map, but it just works so much better. 

Nssheepster

Nssheepster

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 99 posts

I'd take Muatu as a companion. He was fun. Sadly, not even a sidekick. Just a head.

BrokenMask

BrokenMask

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 393 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Eh, I like both games so I don't see need for Obsidian to do radical changes, but if they do, I would always be happy with switch to turn based combat :D

That aside, story wise I'd just like to see game setting in either a) Yezuha  b) Living Lands c) White that Wends. Mostly because those three are areas I'm interested in learning more about. Not that other countries aren't cool or interesting, but they seem most "familiar" to me if that makes sense?

• Wormerine likes this

juanval

juanval

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

After 72 votes, 60 % of people want the Watcher to continue his adventures. I think is a low percentage because here at forums we know well the lore and the Watcher's history and we should be the people who demand more a PoE3 following the Watcher story.

Lore in Eora is great but the casual player (like 2 companions at office), even playing PoE1 before, don't know too much about lore and they don't care if PoE 2 (my companions haven't played it yet and they even don't remember what happened with gods in PoE1) is a Watcher game or not. Same for a PoE 3 story.

I think it would be more succesfull a PoE3 not following the Watcher's story, being a more traditional game, in which a new main character doesn't mess with gods in their realms. There is plenty of room in Readceras, Vailian Republics, new places, etc.

Anyway, I'd happy if Obsidian could create 2 games, one for the Watcher and another for a new character :devil:

Edited by juanval, Yesterday, 04:03 AM.

Nssheepster

Nssheepster

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 99 posts

Eh, I like both games so I don't see need for Obsidian to do radical changes, but if they do, I would always be happy with switch to turn based combat :D

That aside, story wise I'd just like to see game setting in either a) Yezuha  b) Living Lands c) White that Wends. Mostly because those three are areas I'm interested in learning more about. Not that other countries aren't cool or interesting, but they seem most "familiar" to me if that makes sense?

Out of the three, I'd prefer White That Wends, but I expect it the least.... It's supposed to be a snowy, barren land with wandering tribes. The tribes moving around would be an annoying mechanic, and all the scenery would be pretty much the same. It wouldn't actually sort out for a good place to base a game on.

As for Juanval's comment... A 'new' character could be good... But TBH, WHY are we all so stuck on Eora? Obsidian made Eora, we can have faith they can make a NEW land. With Eora as it stands, at the end of Deadfire, it would be basically impossible to avoid the consequences of the first two games, and avoid the gods, without it feeling horribly contrived. Why not make a NEW land, with a similar system to POE, advertise it as 'being based on the Pillars of Eternity game mechanics' or some such, and go from there?

The more you extend an IP, the more the built-up lore and expectations limit what you can or cannot do. At this point, it's pretty heftily restrictive to try to justify a lore-friendly POE 3 with the Watcher, or one without the Watcher that doesn't interact with the gods. So, why do it? Why labor under countless restrictions when you could start anew?

Make a new IP, one that doesn't involve direct influence by gods, only Priests. Make the gods background dressing, and you can even keep Godlikes around, giving them something similar to Faith and Conviction, but unique to each God. That way, gods are THERE, they have influence, but they speak to noone and never directly interfere. We've kept some of the good things about Pillars, but freed up the narrative for new plots, plots that won't restrict or affect the following games as much. 

Tyranny was an interesting universe, even if the game itself still feels unfinished because of how much was left un-done in the game. This new Outer Worlds or whatever should at least be an interesting lore-wise kind of thing, regardless of the game's overall quality. Obisidian has proven they can and will make interesting new worlds if they want to... Why not do THAT and have a POE3 that isn't named POE, and isn't in Eora, but still has that high fantasy style and the game mechanics we love?

bringingyouthefuture

bringingyouthefuture

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I would love to see a Tyranny 2!!!  Ugh though I must say depending on what path you took in Tyranny the ending either wrapped up nicely, or seemed incredibly open ended.  As for POE3 I would like to see Old Vailia, but people keep saying Living Lands and that would be good too.

Though the idea of an Ancient something stirring in Old Vailia uniting the nation into a conquering, warlike force seems good - maybe even with the rulers of Defiance Bay and the Deadfire, etc tasking the watcher with finding the root of this evil, and why the Watcher because at the heart of Old Vailia's new found power is animacy and the devouring of souls - who better than the Watcher ... [copyrighted 2019 by yours truly ;)]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

asnjas