What would you like for an hypotetical PoE3?

In case there is a PoE3, what story would you like?  

143 members have voted

1. 1. In case there is a PoE3, what story would you like?

• Continue the Watcher's saga
    • Start a new history with a new character

22 minutes ago, Tnecniw said:

Okay I should rephrase xD
I more meant... that classes (and subclasses) come with a certain level of disposition to start with.
If you are an assassin for example (and people know it) will people treat or talk to you as if you have the untrustworthy trait to begin with.
YOu catch my drift?
Or if you are a righteous paladin might you get more trust outright.
That kind of thing.

i mean that kinda defeats the point i mean you can be a righteous assassin and a shady paladin. and i like that obsidian lets you define that stuff for the most part 

1 minute ago, draego said:

i mean that kinda defeats the point i mean you can be a righteous assassin and a shady paladin. and i like that obsidian lets you define that stuff for the most part 

True.
But, that is the exception to the rule, is it not?
It would more be a case of that if you start as an assassin will you start with a disposition that you can change with your actions.
People would have assumptions of a certain profession would they not?

I totally understand. But for example Bleak Walker Paladins and Priests of Skaen are exactly that. Well, Priests of Skaen might not reveal themselves often but Bleak Walkers are very forthcoming in that regard. :)

Anyway I just wanted to point out that there are quite some (sub)classes in PoE and Deadfire that don't have a Goody-McTwoshoes reputation. If you want more that's totally fine. 

Necromancer as a Wizard subclass could be nice (see Helig of Thein and Concelhaut etc.). It's quite cliche but at least there's lore supporting it is separated from animancy (although it seems both can be intermingled - see Osrya).

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

On a gameplay level, I have one big wish, and that is (assuming RTwP) a strictly pause button.

Obsidian expanded upon RTwP with a rich variety of auto-pause triggers. And these are good, but "read my mind" is not among them (I would like it, but without violating my privacy, figure it out). So a situation happens, and you want to pause, but between you finishing the thought and pressing spacebar, an auto-pause triggered, and you unpaused. And now, you wanted the game paused for two reasons - whatever you tried to pause manually for, and whatever trigger caused the autopause - but it's actually running, things are getting worse, you have to pause again, and maybe the same thing will happen again when you do.

The strictly pause button can only pause the game. It's not a toggle. If the game is already paused and you press it, nothing happens. I want that button.

(It doesn't already exist, right?)

• Like 4

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Good thought! I indeed unpause from time to time accidentally because Auto-Pause was a bit faster than I was.

You know what also would be cool? Pre-pause. That's a pause that rolls your game back a fraction of a second (the time it usually takes to process what's on the screen, decide to pause and press the button.

Maybe even combined with time-distorting effects like a "rewind 5 sec"-spell.

Real Time with Time Travel.

Patent pending.

• Haha 1

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

16 hours ago, omgFIREBALLS said:

On a gameplay level, I have one big wish, and that is (assuming RTwP) a strictly pause button.

Obsidian expanded upon RTwP with a rich variety of auto-pause triggers. And these are good, but "read my mind" is not among them (I would like it, but without violating my privacy, figure it out). So a situation happens, and you want to pause, but between you finishing the thought and pressing spacebar, an auto-pause triggered, and you unpaused. And now, you wanted the game paused for two reasons - whatever you tried to pause manually for, and whatever trigger caused the autopause - but it's actually running, things are getting worse, you have to pause again, and maybe the same thing will happen again when you do.

The strictly pause button can only pause the game. It's not a toggle. If the game is already paused and you press it, nothing happens. I want that button.

(It doesn't already exist, right?)

I wonder why developers never gave us another option to pause, besides the toggle.

There is a mod Smarter Unpause on Nexus mods, which I discovered two days ago. It changes the exe though, and, unfortunately, requires an older version of Deadfire. Too bad. I was about to get excited.

I did not read everything above, but I had an idea for PoE3:

Zombie apocalypse: After Eothas destroys the wheel the world is in chaos. The cycle of souls is damaged and many souls cannot return to the beyond. Many of them rise as undead and cause tons of trouble. Evil forces try to use this for their benefit. By the destruction of the wheel the gods are weakened and they are forced to live as material creatures in the world. Some try to stay hidden, others walk around and act openly, most of them try to gather followers. Each one has a different goal and you can try to find them and try to help or stop them. The being that supports the zombie apocalypse tries to become a god itself.

possible endings:

- Restore the old order. The gods rule again and control the cycle of souls.

- Establish a natural order. Souls are reborn without the work of supernatural beings.

- A world of horror and chaos. Its better to rule in hell then to serve in heavens. Or you yust mess up while trying to get the things above.

- Become a god yourself. Either with the help of the other gods or the evil entety or by killing them and using their power for yourself.

features:

- new race: undead

Some undead remained intelligent creatures. They build their own society or they try to live hidden among the living people. pro: bonus to con, immunity to poison and disease attacks. con: penalty to int (rotten brain), you need to eat kith flesh regulary or you get a debuff that gets worse as time passes and it will kill you in the end. In later stages of the debuff you are permanently confused by hunger and randomly attack enemies, party members or neutral NPC.

- new item: vial of endless blood

This amulet produces constantly human blood when worn. It has no effect on living creatures but undead do not need to eat kith flesh. But it has downsides: addiction, you drink blood all the time so your stomache is full. You cannot profit from food or drinks while wearing it. withraw effect: when you remove it you get an advanced stage of the rotten debuff and you need to eat kith flesh to remove the debuff. Plus it occupies the neck slot without giving a bonus.

Bodies without soul are like Hollowborn though, not vessels. Vessels have a soul, but its connection to the body is not "right". 

Maybe "undead" without a soul can exist if there's some kind of will or soul driving them (which is not their own - see Concelhaut and his necromancy).

I like the god stuff.

Edited by Boeroer

End of the watcher story

The PoE and PoEII returning companions as temporal or cameos

More creative freedom and less following of a planed structure . I am looking at you, reactivity and faction Eders. And you, sidekicks and expansions

The FinalFantasy party system (the party limiting only the combatant companions, not the other content) so I can experience the companions without replaying a 100 hours game, figuring out how to manually set them always active, or quitting by the anxiety that gives me xD

E: Also RTwP, Ydwin and Durance

Edited by Piero

17 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Bodies without soul are like Hollowborn though, not vessels. Vessels have a soul, but its connection to the body is not "right". 

Maybe "undead" without a soul can exist if there's some kind of will or soul driving them (which is not their own - see Concelhaut and his necromancy).

I like the god stuff.

Crap, I messed up PoE and Dragon Age.

In DA:O there is the fade (world of spirits) and the material world. Spirits who enter the material world and cause harm are called demons. Some demons manifest as shadows or ghosts, others posess corpses and become undead, more powerful demons can posess living creatures ( this gets really bad when the host is a powerful mage) or they manifest as demons in the classical sense, like DnD creatures. So my idea was that many souls cannot enter the beyond and so they posess corpses or objects or they manifest as something physical, maybe something like One of Many from NWN2.

Yes, souls in PoE do not posess things on their own, only through animancy. I thought that maybe if lots of souls cannot enter the beyond, some of them could posess things. But I am not sure if this is consistent with PoE lore.

According to Deadfire lore the breaking of the Wheel causes all souls to be stuck in the In-Between once they leave Eora.

But I'm sure one could come up with an idea how souls who don't go to the In-Between (like Spirits usually) can possess corpses. 

Edited by Boeroer

I'd like a whole new story track. In fact, I'd enjoy starting off as a mundane: somebody with a fractured soul doesn't have soul-based powers. Instead the character is an animancer experiment that attempted to restore a soul to wholeness. What they end up with instead is a corporeal undead; a fampyr. The first chapter is your journey back to life as a normal person with a restored soul and the acquisition of soul-based powers. The animancers want to then recover your body to find out how you did it by performing various medical experiments. At first you only want to escape, but then you become resolved to seek out the top of the animancer cult and lop off its head.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Oh yeah, I've got a doozy of a concept for PoE3 here.

The story starts about a generation after the events of Deadfire, when the effects of Eothas breaking the Wheel are becoming more apparent i.e. Hollowborn births, proliferation of blights, world out of balance... you know, the works. And your protagonist is not the Watcher of Caed Nua we know (who's long dead by this time) but a brand new character, justifying starting from Level 1 yet again.

That said, he/she retreads the story beats of the first PoE by being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and ending up as an Awakened Watcher in his/her own right. But our Watcher's flashbacks revolves around one mysterious figure in particular, and is compelled to travel all over Eora to make sense of these visions and find out who this figure from the past is, for the sake of their own sanity if nothing else.

Our protagonist goes globetrotting, and sees how the breaking of the Wheel has affected all the denizens of Eora. They tend to get flashbacks when they arrive at a new land, but where the flashbacks in PoE1 were simply dialogue options, the ones you get in PoE3 actually lets you control the mysterious figure from the past (you even get to decide what the past figure's stats/Classes/race/gender/avatar are), and carry out the actions and decisions that the mysterious figure made back then on their own adventure. When your Watcher returns to the present day, they and their Companions can retrace those steps, and see how the choices of the past have made their mark on the present day.

After some adventuring and sleuthing, we arrive at a revelation; turns out our protagonist is, or rather was, the Watcher of Caed Nua. Unlike in PoE1 where we were chasing Thaos, we've been chasing our own past self in this game all along. Our visions have been following the Watcher of Caed Nua immediately after the events of Deadfire, how he/she made their mark on Eora after the breaking of the Wheel, and maybe how and why they eventually had to meet their demise.

But since the Wheel is long broken, how did the Watcher of Caed Nua reincarnate... Literal God-dammit, Berath.

Now here comes the real kicker; Eora was not a static setting throughout the whole game. All of the things you did as the Watcher of Caed Nua in the flashbacks? Those actually affected various details in the world that your current Watcher has been travelling through. Everything you did in the past had an effect on the present, and had you done things differently as the Watcher of Caed Nua, you would have experienced an entirely different story as the current Watcher altogether.

It's like how the choices you made in PoE affected certain things in Deadfire, except this time you're kind of playing through both campaigns concurrently, and seeing the changes happen in (kind-of) real time.

I mean, hell. The PoE setting is practically perfect for these kinds of time-warp shenanigans. 😄

Edited by Ascaloth

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2020 at 12:18 PM, Ascaloth said:

Oh yeah, I've got a doozy of a concept for PoE3 here.

The story starts about a generation after the events of Deadfire, when the effects of Eothas breaking the Wheel are becoming more apparent i.e. Hollowborn births, proliferation of blights, world out of balance... you know, the works. And your protagonist is not the Watcher of Caed Nua we know (who's long dead by this time) but a brand new character, justifying starting from Level 1 yet again.

That said, he/she retreads the story beats of the first PoE by being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and ending up as an Awakened Watcher in his/her own right. But our Watcher's flashbacks revolves around one mysterious figure in particular, and is compelled to travel all over Eora to make sense of these visions and find out who this figure from the past is, for the sake of their own sanity if nothing else.

Our protagonist goes globetrotting, and sees how the breaking of the Wheel has affected all the denizens of Eora. They tend to get flashbacks when they arrive at a new land, but where the flashbacks in PoE1 were simply dialogue options, the ones you get in PoE3 actually lets you control the mysterious figure from the past (you even get to decide what the past figure's stats/Classes/race/gender/avatar are), and carry out the actions and decisions that the mysterious figure made back then on their own adventure. When your Watcher returns to the present day, they and their Companions can retrace those steps, and see how the choices of the past have made their mark on the present day.

After some adventuring and sleuthing, we arrive at a revelation; turns out our protagonist is, or rather was, the Watcher of Caed Nua. Unlike in PoE1 where we were chasing Thaos, we've been chasing our own past self in this game all along. Our visions have been following the Watcher of Caed Nua immediately after the events of Deadfire, how he/she made their mark on Eora after the breaking of the Wheel, and maybe how and why they eventually had to meet their demise.

But since the Wheel is long broken, how did the Watcher of Caed Nua reincarnate... Literal God-dammit, Berath.

Now here comes the real kicker; Eora was not a static setting throughout the whole game. All of the things you did as the Watcher of Caed Nua in the flashbacks? Those actually affected various details in the world that your current Watcher has been travelling through. Everything you did in the past had an effect on the present, and had you done things differently as the Watcher of Caed Nua, you would have experienced an entirely different story as the current Watcher altogether.

It's like how the choices you made in PoE affected certain things in Deadfire, except this time you're kind of playing through both campaigns concurrently, and seeing the changes happen in (kind-of) real time.

I mean, hell. The PoE setting is practically perfect for these kinds of time-warp shenanigans. 😄

In all honesty, Ascaloth, I'd rather have a PoE3 story that was less dependent on the gods of Eora.  After two stories/PoE games with the Watcher getting dragged across parts of Eora due to the whims of the gods, I'd rather have a story with a less divinity related plot line, at least for the majority of the story line.  Oh, maybe some deity is pulling the strings, but I'd prefer it to be unseen for a good long while.

As for whether the main character should be the Watcher, I'm kind of split.  Part of me would like to continue the Watcher's story.  And another part of me would prefer otherwise.

A plot that I had in mind was one where the Watcher returns Rekke home to Yezuha (I think that that's the name of his unknown homeland).  And it turns out that there's some mystery that needs solving, etc., etc., etc.  This would allow for a nearly whole new cast of companions, though I can see Eder coming along, since he's the Watcher's best buddy.    As for what this mystery would be, I have no idea.  I just like the idea of the plot starting with taking Rekke home to Yezuha.

I could see another plot taking place in the Living Lands, which is a place I find intriguing, given its varied environments which would make for quite a variety of maps and areas to explore.  I think that the one place I wouldn't want to see as a destination for PoE3 is The White That Wends.  I feel like I've seen enough of frozen wastelands, between the White March and the PoE2 expansion that was in a frozen wasteland.  

On 1/8/2019 at 11:39 AM, juanval said:

I would welcome both cases for PoE 3. I love the Watcher history and the companions, but I'd prefer to start a new history set in Eora with a new character.

and  you?

No bugs ?

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...

Hum..voted for : Continue the watcher story. 

Cose, Deadfire failed on that front! I brough the game based on the trailer, and after ALL that hype, I got almost nothing!

No more open world, for the love of every Gods and Godess! Do it like you did it with POE1! That was awesome. It was beautiful, it was sad, it was dark, it was stressing. (well expect that long dungeon that wasn't so long, and didn't have no story beside monsters to kill. That was kinda of a downer). 

But if it has to be a new game with no tie to the Watcher, then that is fine too. As long as it is in the spirit of POE1. Meaning, that kind of game. Less OPEN world crap, and more story, more atmosphere, more suspence, more amazing memorable quest, more amazing unique companions that you want to love, to protect, to shield, to hate, to kill. 

So in short something that has the feel of POE1 but has the gameplay of POE2, cose those multi-class were alot of fun. But that's all it had for meh alas. Story was so short, so underwhelming...so dissapointing :(

That's mah wish! 

• Like 1
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

On 2/4/2020 at 12:40 AM, Oathbinder said:

I just want a Pillars of Eternity 3 with the same isometric view and tactical battles using the RTwP system. And I want PoE 3 to finish the watcher saga. 

As much as TB is my chosen style of combat (I play with controller), all the disappointment filled RTwP enthusiasts would flock to PoE3 you would think after the BG3 kickback against the TB only combat focus Larian has gone with.

PoE and Pathfinder the last bastions of RTwP it seems.

While I would think that a not-so-far-in-the-future third part should stick to the mechanics of Deadfire I also don't care that much about RTwP or TB. Players who want to turn this into a confession of faith behave kind of silly. There are games that are great and use TB and there are games that are great who use RTwP. Don't understand why one has to chose to only like one. I love PoE/Deadfire and Battle Brothers because they are fun to play for me, not because I celebrated some kind of communion with RTwP or TB evangelists.

But still: if a PoE3 is made in the next few years I would like it to continue the mechanics of Deadfire as I said. It's quite some work to learn a whole new system and I would like to avoid it if possible. Deadfire's rule system is in a good state (not talking about bugs and oversights especially on consoles). Some minor tweaks like simplifying the stacking rules should suffice. And there already is TB and RTwP - so it's not too far fetched to expect to see both in a PoE3 again (one as main mode, the other as additional I would presume).

By the way: a recent poll came to the conclusion that a slight majority welcomes the switch from RTwP to TB for BG3. You wouldn't guess if you read the Larian forums (lots of "true" BG fans flooding the place while acting like broken records). There you would get the impression that BG3 is doomed to fail - while Larian (or Vincke) reported that they got overwhelmingly good responses on PAX and social media (other than their forums). Bubbles... 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 4

I dont mind a turn based system in PoE (I do love turn based tactical games like Temple of Elemental Evil, XCOM, Wasteland 2 DC, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, etc). Deadfire is way better in RTwP, imo (as Pathfinder Kingmaker is still better in the original vision of the team, although the turn based mod is good), but if a new game is created giving more craft to the turn based system, I would love it. 

The only thing I would not forgive is if the game suddenly becomes an action oriented game (like Witcher or Skyrim) devoid of tactical and strategic planing. 

Edited by Oathbinder
  • Like 1