What would you like for an hypotetical PoE3?

In case there is a PoE3, what story would you like?  

143 members have voted

1. 1. In case there is a PoE3, what story would you like?

• Continue the Watcher's saga
    • Start a new history with a new character

I think something like Dark Souls is so popular not because of one aspect, but because it is more than the sum of it's parts. I think the IE games were like that.

My understanding is that a large part of the CURRENT popularity of the Souls games is their infamous challenge level. The Dark Souls games are still very much known as insanely challening, mechanically demanding games, and all the Souls-Like game are billed as much the same. Completing a Souls game is an achievement by the very nature of the games.

Completing Deadfire, even on TOI POTD, isn't seen as as much of an achievement, because it's a knowledge based challenge, which really isn't regarded as impressively. I'm not honestly sure there can be too much comparison.

Hmmm maybe accoring to unoriginal games journalists. But lets face it Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are a league ahead of 2 and 3. Because the latter have just latched onto the difficulty bollocks, not what actually made the games good. But i digress... what were we talking about?

nowt

The #1 want for me is improved non-combat systems. Before Magran's Fires with stuff like spoiled food and repairing items, the games feels completely focused on combat, bc dialogue checks are nothing more than increasing a few passive skills. Like a pretty picture that only comes to life when you're fighting. I'd like to have better dialogue and trading systems, better crafting, better stronghold, disposition, and relationships systems. I want the world to feel challenging as a whole not just the combat.

For me almost everything you're asking for would just become tedious busy work you have to juggle. The combat is what a lot of people are here for, with dialog and plot being a secondary concern. All that other stuff is just annoyances I don't want in the way of what I'm playing for.

We all have our preferences. I play these games for everything in them other than the combat, and combat is the pain-in-the-ass tedious busywork chore I have to tolerate and slog through in order to enjoy the rest of the game.

At the top of my head I would like:

-Different setting than pirates and medieval, maybe somewhere in the world or in the near future in which Animancy became the norm for technological advancements so it would be like Arcane-steampunk thing. An animancy driven world. And waaay darker story

-Return of endurance or a better system for resting and wounds, something which doesnt break the entire resource management point

I want to add:

-Different and immersive loading screens. In a RPG game with so many loading interruptions if you use an ugly, annoying or immersive-breaking loading screen it feels like you have to digest a tv commercial each time and it becomes a tedious waste of time, but if you put interesting/interactive or immersive loading screens like the "first person view of the map" like Icewind Dale's and Pillars1 use then you avoid this kind of problem.

*I cant stress enought that in this kind of game NOT having different immersive Music and Loading screens in different maps is an undeniable f**k up.

-Skippable beginning "tutorial/story" content. Deadfire is the kind of game in which players replay the story several times, its a game that rellys so much on the first unchangeable desicions you make for the creation of the main character that any unskippable tedious tutorialous(?) content becomes an annoying task real quick. If you want to try a new build to see if a character works out or if you want to roleplay a new one from the start, you are forced into all that tedious unskippable contat like (Maje, Pirate fort, First part of Neketaka) before letting you explore the "open world" and enjoy the "open game".

its the main reason that prevents me to keep trying builds and replaying the game. Not only that but all the DLC are end-game enabled so if i want to come back to the game and play those with a new character its a mountain of annoying repetition to reach that content.

*I consider this a massive development problem which i hope is adressed and solved for a Pillars of Eternity 3.

*Editted to try to explain better the points i made using better english (sry its not my main lenguage)

Edited by Kampel
  • Like 1

Hmmm maybe accoring to unoriginal games journalists. But lets face it Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are a league ahead of 2 and 3. Because the latter have just latched onto the difficulty bollocks, not what actually made the games good. But i digress... what were we talking about?

O gosh, Beat Dark Souls for the first time maybe like two months ago? I expected an unfair, frustrating excercise in masochism, and what I got was a game with probably the best action/RPG system I can think of, great atmosphere and most of all, phenomenal level design. I really wasn't expecting the last one, but exploring its world was a real joy. DLC has some really phenomenal boss fights.

Started Dark Souls 2 about a week ago. I didn't get far, didn't even reach the first boss, but wow, first impressions are pretty bad. Movement and combat overall feels sloppier, completely lacks any atmosphear and it delights it setting up riddiculus ambushes and calling it a challenge. It just feels dull. I would probably refund it, if I didn't buy it months ago on sale with DS1. Oh well, I hope it will get at least a bit better as it goes on. 

• Like 1

O gosh, Beat Dark Souls for the first time maybe like two months ago? I expected an unfair, frustrating excercise in masochism, and what I got was a game with probably the best action/RPG system I can think of, great atmosphere and most of all, phenomenal level design. I really wasn't expecting the last one, but exploring its world was a real joy. DLC has some really phenomenal boss fights.

Started Dark Souls 2 about a week ago. I didn't get far, didn't even reach the first boss, but wow, first impressions are pretty bad. Movement and combat overall feels sloppier, completely lacks any atmosphear and it delights it setting up riddiculus ambushes and calling it a challenge. It just feels dull. I would probably refund it, if I didn't buy it months ago on sale with DS1. Oh well, I hope it will get at least a bit better as it goes on.

It really doesn't.

• Like 1

-Different setting than pirates and medieval, maybe somewhere in the world or in the near future in which Animancy became the norm for technological advancements so it would be like Arcane-steampunk thing. An animancy driven world. And waaay darker story

-Return of endurance or a better system for resting and wounds, something which doesnt break the entire resource management point

I want to add:

-Different and immersive loading screens. In a RPG game with so many loading interruptions if you use an ugly, annoying or immersive-breaking loading screen it feels like you have to digest a tv commercial each time and it becomes a tedious waste of time, but if you put interesting/interactive or immersive loading screens like the "first person view of the map" like Icewind Dale's and Pillars1 use then you avoid this kind of problem.

*I cant stress enought that in this kind of game NOT having different immersive Music and Loading screens in different maps is an undeniable f**k up.

-Skippable beginning "tutorial/story" content. Deadfire is the kind of game in which players replay the story several times, its a game that rellys so much on the first unchangeable desicions you make for the creation of the main character that any unskippable tedious tutorialous(?) content becomes an annoying task real quick. If you want to try a new build to see if a character works out or if you want to roleplay a new one from the start, you are forced into all that tedious unskippable contat like (Maje, Pirate fort, First part of Neketaka) before letting you explore the "open world" and enjoy the "open game".

its the main reason that prevents me to keep trying builds and replaying the game. Not only that but all the DLC are end-game enabled so if i want to come back to the game and play those with a new character its a mountain of annoying repetition to reach that content.

*I consider this a massive development problem which i hope is adressed and solved for a Pillars of Eternity 3.

*Editted to try to explain better the points i made using better english (sry its not my main lenguage)

I don't think that not having different loading screens (and/or different music) for different maps is a screwup so much as it's potentially a missed opportunity.  OTOH, this sort of stuff would require more money.  And when they're on a limited budget, I think that most people would prefer that the limited development money be spent on playable content, and not loading screens.  It seems to me that different loading screens and different loading screen music is a very low priority luxury, not an important priority.

Also, I don't consider the beginning content thing a "massive development problem".  You do.  But again, it's a question of the prioritization of resources.

Eh, I like both games so I don't see need for Obsidian to do radical changes, but if they do, I would always be happy with switch to turn based combat :D

That aside, story wise I'd just like to see game setting in either a) Yezuha  b) Living Lands c) White that Wends. Mostly because those three are areas I'm interested in learning more about. Not that other countries aren't cool or interesting, but they seem most "familiar" to me if that makes sense?

Out of the three, I'd prefer White That Wends, but I expect it the least.... It's supposed to be a snowy, barren land with wandering tribes. The tribes moving around would be an annoying mechanic, and all the scenery would be pretty much the same. It wouldn't actually sort out for a good place to base a game on.

As for Juanval's comment... A 'new' character could be good... But TBH, WHY are we all so stuck on Eora? Obsidian made Eora, we can have faith they can make a NEW land. With Eora as it stands, at the end of Deadfire, it would be basically impossible to avoid the consequences of the first two games, and avoid the gods, without it feeling horribly contrived. Why not make a NEW land, with a similar system to POE, advertise it as 'being based on the Pillars of Eternity game mechanics' or some such, and go from there?

The more you extend an IP, the more the built-up lore and expectations limit what you can or cannot do. At this point, it's pretty heftily restrictive to try to justify a lore-friendly POE 3 with the Watcher, or one without the Watcher that doesn't interact with the gods. So, why do it? Why labor under countless restrictions when you could start anew?

Make a new IP, one that doesn't involve direct influence by gods, only Priests. Make the gods background dressing, and you can even keep Godlikes around, giving them something similar to Faith and Conviction, but unique to each God. That way, gods are THERE, they have influence, but they speak to noone and never directly interfere. We've kept some of the good things about Pillars, but freed up the narrative for new plots, plots that won't restrict or affect the following games as much. 

Tyranny was an interesting universe, even if the game itself still feels unfinished because of how much was left un-done in the game. This new Outer Worlds or whatever should at least be an interesting lore-wise kind of thing, regardless of the game's overall quality. Obisidian has proven they can and will make interesting new worlds if they want to... Why not do THAT and have a POE3 that isn't named POE, and isn't in Eora, but still has that high fantasy style and the game mechanics we love?

1. I'd rather it wasn't set in TWTW.  To me that'd make it too much like Icewind Dale and PoE1's White March expansions.  Enough with the wintery settings!

2.  Why are we stuck on Eora?  Because we like to explore a world, a setting.  Because it's familiar.  I don't want them making new worlds every time they make a game.  To me, it's a waste of time, effort, and resources that could be better spent on playable content.  It's much better to save the time and effort and stick with a familiar game world and keep expanding on it.

1. I'd rather it wasn't set in TWTW.  To me that'd make it too much like Icewind Dale and PoE1's White March expansions.  Enough with the wintery settings!

2.  Why are we stuck on Eora?  Because we like to explore a world, a setting.  Because it's familiar.  I don't want them making new worlds every time they make a game.  To me, it's a waste of time, effort, and resources that could be better spent on playable content.  It's much better to save the time and effort and stick with a familiar game world and keep expanding on it.

I agree with that... To a point. Eventually, you can't keep expanding. Eventually you've hit a point where any additions you make stop being reasonable. Right now, you have the OP Watcher sitting around somewhere.... If there's a big issue, why wouldn't they intervene?

If they did intervene, you then need to either come up with an excuse to nerf them again, or you need to come up with something that is somehow more threatening than POE 1 and 2.

If they don't intervene, you need an excuse as to why they didn't intervene.... Which is nigh on impossible. Because the back story of Eora is so developed, you can't place a game in the past, because you'd lose the free choice and multi-endings that are so great in 1 and 2. You can't set it in the future without having to canon-ize one of the multi endings for POE 1 and 2, especially 2, which is specifically a turn off right there. If you can't use time as an excuse, what then? Distance? No, the Watcher has traveled vast distances already. An area the Watcher doesn't know about? Maybe... Except they can speak to the dead to find it, and it'd have had to somehow be unaffected by the events of POE 1 and 2. Given that 2 breaks the wheel.... Plus, they'd have to not know... AND it'd have to be important enough of an issue for a game, but not important enough for the gods or the dead to seek out their best problem solver, the Watcher. That's a tricky thing to pull off, something that's important enough for you, the Player, to care, but not important enough for you, the Watcher, to be told to go deal with it. You could BS with 'The gods feel the Watcher deserves a break'... Except the gods are mostly entitled jerks, so they wouldn't say anything of the sort.

I think it is technically within the limits of possibility to make a good lore setting for POE 3 in Eora. I also think it's so close to NOT being possible that it's just more viable for them to make a new and/or better world. I'm not asking for them to turn to sci-fi, I love the high fantasy style and classes.... Just don't keep beating a dead horse. Don't be that company that makes sequels just to make sequels, even if you don't have a good story to tell.

On a side note, unrelated to the quote... I've been replaying Tyranny lately, and noticed A) They reused a lot of art assets and I never noticed in my first playthrough. And B) The companions that are their own class was really well done there. It'd be interesting to see a game more like POE, with a few added things from Tyranny. NG+ is really nice. The spell making system is ALMOST great, it'd be better if it wasn't so heftily stat-restricted, simply because it feels bad that way. It'd also need to stop having multiple tiers of the same thing, just one and done is far better IMO.

I do definitely like the idea of companions being unique to your character though, because then the story companions FEEL valuable in a way they really don't in POE. In POE if you don't want their gear, their sidequest, or their lore... You don't want them, you can hire a SILENT adventurer from an inn and get the same things. In Tyranny if you want anything like a Chanter, you're taking Sirin, because she's the only one in the game who offers that set of skills. Barak and Verse are a bit generic, but still good.... The others are definitively unique and valuable though.

Hell, on my current playthrough I'm going out of my way to terrify Eb because she's one of the only two ways to learn a spell core, and she's the only one that can use it by base. It's for a good lore reason, it feels good to get it... It just plain sorts out.

Maybe I should start a forum post for this. POE things you want in Tyranny, Tyranny things you want in POE.

I agree with that... To a point. Eventually, you can't keep expanding. Eventually you've hit a point where any additions you make stop being reasonable. Right now, you have the OP Watcher sitting around somewhere.... If there's a big issue, why wouldn't they intervene?

If they did intervene, you then need to either come up with an excuse to nerf them again, or you need to come up with something that is somehow more threatening than POE 1 and 2.

If they don't intervene, you need an excuse as to why they didn't intervene.... Which is nigh on impossible. Because the back story of Eora is so developed, you can't place a game in the past, because you'd lose the free choice and multi-endings that are so great in 1 and 2. You can't set it in the future without having to canon-ize one of the multi endings for POE 1 and 2, especially 2, which is specifically a turn off right there. If you can't use time as an excuse, what then? Distance? No, the Watcher has traveled vast distances already. An area the Watcher doesn't know about? Maybe... Except they can speak to the dead to find it, and it'd have had to somehow be unaffected by the events of POE 1 and 2. Given that 2 breaks the wheel.... Plus, they'd have to not know... AND it'd have to be important enough of an issue for a game, but not important enough for the gods or the dead to seek out their best problem solver, the Watcher. That's a tricky thing to pull off, something that's important enough for you, the Player, to care, but not important enough for you, the Watcher, to be told to go deal with it. You could BS with 'The gods feel the Watcher deserves a break'... Except the gods are mostly entitled jerks, so they wouldn't say anything of the sort.

I think it is technically within the limits of possibility to make a good lore setting for POE 3 in Eora. I also think it's so close to NOT being possible that it's just more viable for them to make a new and/or better world. I'm not asking for them to turn to sci-fi, I love the high fantasy style and classes.... Just don't keep beating a dead horse. Don't be that company that makes sequels just to make sequels, even if you don't have a good story to tell.

Is the Watcher OP?  Heck, he or she had to restart at level 1, even after PoE1.

I still would prefer that they do a story that's not nearly so centered on the Gods of Eora.

As for a setting, I still maintain that the best place to go would be what I've called "Rekke Land", though its proper name is Yezuha.  The known part of Eora isn't the entirety of Eora.  There are lands on the far side of the great storms of the Deadfire, with Yezuha being one of them.  Furthermore, at least in my opinion, Rekke's inclusion in PoE2 as well as his extremely isolated location on the map absolutely SCREAMS that the devs are seriously considering Yezuha as the location of PoE3.

One idea that someone floated earlier was that perhaps there was a fledgling god in the making or perhaps some megalomaniacal mortal who wants to ascent to godhood over in Yezuha.  I know that I'd prefer a less gods-centric plot, but this might work.

As for it being "close to not being possible to create another viable PoE sequel", I have to call B.S.   D&D was able to tell many, MANY stories in their Forgotten Realms setting over the years.  There is no reason that the PoE devs cannot do that same.

Definitely want a fleshed out turn based mode. The game's mechanics are so deep they get lost in the insanity of RTWP. If possible keep RTWP to satisfy everyone, but would lovvveeee a really fleshed out turn based. 

Good news! They already did that. It's rough around the edges, but it's more playable than Deadfire was at launch! Go nuts!

"As the murderhobo mantra goes: 'If you can't kill it, steal it.'" - Prince of Lies

I could go for Aedyr, but isn't the Living Lands an Island area??  Not sure i can handle another boat and island hoping ...

"The Living Lands is a frontier island area in the far north"

It is apparently an island area, but the impression I get is that it's a GIANT island or series of islands super clustered together and split by shallow seas/rivers that you can merely wade through, with drastically different environments everywhere. It's probably tied with Yezhua for the most likely setting of the next game because there's a lot of choices/text in Deadfire that seem to point towards it.

- The cartographer in Nekataka is apparently trying to map out the Living Lands too, judging from one of the maps you can observe in the area. He seems like a NPC that will likely return in a sequel.

- If your Watcher is from the Living Lands, they get several bonus pieces of dialogue throughout the game explaining what life is like there. One of the more curious ones is when you can tell someone in Tikiwara about how Lagufeth are considered an alternate source of meat by some people there. You also run into a group of adventurers from there on one of the islands in Deadfire as well, and they describe what the area is like quite a bit.

- If you do all of the VTC quests, one of then literally ends with a choice of exiling one of two characters to the Living Lands, nowhere else. Nothing else screams 'choice that will pop up in a future game' like this.

Random conjecture: The Animancers at the Spire were developing teleportation technology through the use of Adra pillars. This seems like something that's going to be very important in a sequel, if only to act as a sort of fast travel sort of thing.

Edited by Saito Hikari
  • Like 2

As for it being "close to not being possible to create another viable PoE sequel", I have to call B.S.   D&D was able to tell many, MANY stories in their Forgotten Realms setting over the years.  There is no reason that the PoE devs cannot do that same.

Yeah.... That's not at ALL how story telling works. Not even slightly. Just because X setting cane be used Y times, doesn't mean EVERY setting can be used Y times. That's not how it goes. It's entirely possible to back yourself into a corner with story telling if you aren't careful, and Obisidian really has. Also, D&D canon doesn't take into account your campaigns. POE 3 DOES have to take into account ALL the possible endings of POE 1 and 2 and the effects they've had on Eora. That makes it FAR harder for Obisidian than for D&D right there.

Tell me, go through ALL the ending slides of POE 3, and see where you can find the overlap between all of them. What could really be called the 'canon' result, without invalidating any end slide, of POE 2? That means canon for 'What happens to Eothas?', 'What happened to Ukaizo?', 'What happened to the Wheel?'... Among other things. And since all three of those are world-altering things, and all have different endings... What is Obsidian to do?

If they say, 'Rautai took Ukaizo', well that affects Rautai and everyone near the country, every country they interact with, and possibly the countries that interact with those countries. It's not a small thing to control that level of technology, and have all that influence and power over the Deadfire. But wait... What about ALL those people who wanted one of the OTHER factions to take Ukaizo? Well suddenly they're told that's not canon.... Which has visibly upset people in the past when other games have done similar things.

Deadfire was a huge, cataclysmic sequence of events for Deadfire itself and Eora as a whole. You can't pretend it didn't happen in the next game. The Wheel and the Gods affect EVERYONE, you can't just shrug it off. So, what do you do? Either you canon-ize one ending, and risk angering the people who don't like it... Or, you've story told yourself into the corner.

• Like 1

Definitely want a fleshed out turn based mode. The game's mechanics are so deep they get lost in the insanity of RTWP. If possible keep RTWP to satisfy everyone, but would lovvveeee a really fleshed out turn based. 

Definitely must be RTwP, because the identity of the PoE franchise is RTwP. If possible include a TB mode, but nothing that works well for RTwP should be sacrificed for the TB mode.

Yeah.... That's not at ALL how story telling works. Not even slightly. Just because X setting cane be used Y times, doesn't mean EVERY setting can be used Y times. That's not how it goes. It's entirely possible to back yourself into a corner with story telling if you aren't careful, and Obisidian really has. Also, D&D canon doesn't take into account your campaigns. POE 3 DOES have to take into account ALL the possible endings of POE 1 and 2 and the effects they've had on Eora. That makes it FAR harder for Obisidian than for D&D right there.

Tell me, go through ALL the ending slides of POE 3, and see where you can find the overlap between all of them. What could really be called the 'canon' result, without invalidating any end slide, of POE 2? That means canon for 'What happens to Eothas?', 'What happened to Ukaizo?', 'What happened to the Wheel?'... Among other things. And since all three of those are world-altering things, and all have different endings... What is Obsidian to do?

If they say, 'Rautai took Ukaizo', well that affects Rautai and everyone near the country, every country they interact with, and possibly the countries that interact with those countries. It's not a small thing to control that level of technology, and have all that influence and power over the Deadfire. But wait... What about ALL those people who wanted one of the OTHER factions to take Ukaizo? Well suddenly they're told that's not canon.... Which has visibly upset people in the past when other games have done similar things.

Deadfire was a huge, cataclysmic sequence of events for Deadfire itself and Eora as a whole. You can't pretend it didn't happen in the next game. The Wheel and the Gods affect EVERYONE, you can't just shrug it off. So, what do you do? Either you canon-ize one ending, and risk angering the people who don't like it... Or, you've story told yourself into the corner.

Oh, I'm all for canonizing a single ending.  Pick a "good" ending and go with that.  And if there are people who complain about it, tough cookies. The devs are the authors of the "official" story, not the players.

Regardless, I still say that it's B.S. that they can't go forward with the Eora setting.

Deadfire had by far my least favorite story and companion roster of any cRPG I've played, which is a shame - as the first game ranks highly in both. I appreciate the improved mechanics that came with it, but I can forgive a subpar system if the RPG aspect of a game is well-done (Planescape: Torment being a good example of this). So more than anything, I'd like a return to the writing, themes, and personalities found in the first game. The more general stuff aside, I'm also hoping that they do away with the gods - not necessarily as a whole, but dancing to their strings for the third time would be a bit tiresome, for me at least. However, even that would be tolerable if the aforementioned disappointing elements were remedied. 

As unlikely as a PoE 3 seems, I would like the Watcher's tale to continue (and hopefully end) if we ever get a third game.

As much as I've hated the whole "chosen of the gods" narrative from PoE 2, the game pretty much ends on a cliffhanger and it would be very disappointing to see that cliffhanger go unresolved in a sequel.

Ideally we could have gotten a more down-to-earth story from the start, I just can't stand "chosen/prophecy" type stories, they are so boring, unoriginal and lazy.

• Like 1

Oh, I'm all for canonizing a single ending.  Pick a "good" ending and go with that.  And if there are people who complain about it, tough cookies. The devs are the authors of the "official" story, not the players.

Regardless, I still say that it's B.S. that they can't go forward with the Eora setting.

.... Yeah, people who want to actually make MONEY, they don't get to go 'Tough cookies, IDC if my customers don't like it.' That's... yeah no, you don't get to do that, especially not in a competitve industry. Maybe if you were the only donut shop for fifty miles or something, but Obsidian sure as hell doesn't get to do that.

I want to add:

I don't think that not having different loading screens (and/or different music) for different maps is a screwup so much as it's potentially a missed opportunity.  OTOH, this sort of stuff would require more money.  And when they're on a limited budget, I think that most people would prefer that the limited development money be spent on playable content, and not loading screens.  It seems to me that different loading screens and different loading screen music is a very low priority luxury, not an important priority.

Also, I don't consider the beginning content thing a "massive development problem".  You do.  But again, it's a question of the prioritization of resources.

Yes I understand, thats why i have only complaint about that in this thread.

*By the music I meant different music throught the entire game, not on loading screens. If 60 hours of content rings with the same music it becomes tedious.

On the second point I consider the beginning content thing a design mistake. In my understanding and seeing how they made the game's mechanic, the God's challenges, and everything else they expected the players to play the entire game several times so anything that affects that replayability is a real problem.

I havent complaint or expected this to be fixed for this game, i just wanted to point it out for the next one in case by any chance a dev reads this comment and considers it.

Perhaps they could let the Watcher disappear for some mysterious reason and return in a new body without previous memories. Players can decide whether to bring his/her old self back or not. Everyone's happy this way.

Creating a new protagonist and fight the Watcher as a boss sounds cool too.

.... Yeah, people who want to actually make MONEY, they don't get to go 'Tough cookies, IDC if my customers don't like it.' That's... yeah no, you don't get to do that, especially not in a competitve industry. Maybe if you were the only donut shop for fifty miles or something, but Obsidian sure as hell doesn't get to do that.

Hey, the people who made the Baldur's Gate series had a set "official" story and they did just fine, I'd guess.