What would you like for an hypotetical PoE3?

In case there is a PoE3, what story would you like?  

143 members have voted

1. 1. In case there is a PoE3, what story would you like?

• Continue the Watcher's saga
    • Start a new history with a new character

Remove pen system.

Ditch stronghold entirely. It has been nothing but tedious busywork in two iterations.

Another city like Neketaka. Loved it.

Less trash and combat encounters in general. Less monsters with bloated HP that feel like a chore to grind down once you’ve stripped them of their allies and defenses.

No sidekicks. I just don’t get it.

Back to the old DLC model of one big expansion (pleeeeeeaaaaase).

No ****ing romances, please. You had this right the first time.

I honestly hate Neketaka and Defiance Bay. There's so much to do that I either skip a MASSIVE amount of content or I end up feeling trapped in the city, constantly going back and forth, loading over and over as I spend more time talking than fighting... And the talking isn't all that engaging when I have a main quest that's far more important hanging over my head, that the city's quests have little to do with.

Sidekicks aren't really my jam but they are... Okay? Like I don't find myself annoyed that they exist, they seem like a nice option, just not an option I choose to take usually.

Less Combat Encounters though? Not down with that. At that point, dump the graphics and make it a text based game. There are good text based games to be had, if you don't want a lot of combat, just wandering around talking to people.

I honestly hate Neketaka and Defiance Bay. There's so much to do that I either skip a MASSIVE amount of content or I end up feeling trapped in the city, constantly going back and forth, loading over and over as I spend more time talking than fighting... And the talking isn't all that engaging when I have a main quest that's far more important hanging over my head, that the city's quests have little to do with.

Sidekicks aren't really my jam but they are... Okay? Like I don't find myself annoyed that they exist, they seem like a nice option, just not an option I choose to take usually.

Less Combat Encounters though? Not down with that. At that point, dump the graphics and make it a text based game. There are good text based games to be had, if you don't want a lot of combat, just wandering around talking to people.

Hated Defiance, loved Neketaka. Had an Athkatla vibe but less overwhelming. Matter of taste, though.

More discerning amounts of combat might be a better way of putting it. Varied challenges like SSS but out in the world. Not the same combination of mobs I’ve pulled 3 times already. Think of a good dungeon flow in a good PnP module.

Edited by Grimo88
  • Like 1

Ah THAT I can get behind. Yeah a lot of combat is very... spiky, I guess? It's either easy as hell or it's flooding you with debuffs/numbers and you're at serious risk of wiping at any time. If it was either/or, that could be dealt with, by going up and down in difficulty levels. The weird spikes, not my jam. I expect a spike in a boss fight. I don't expect a spike on the tutorial island when I walk into an area intending to deal with a thug diplomatically.

I think Serafen and Xoti make for great candidates to come back. I’d love to see a character or two that wasn’t playable in Deadfire join as a companion as well: Furrante, Governor Clario, Aeldys, Atsura, Nemnok!

Also not sure what they’d plan for the stronghold, but I’d be thrilled to see the ship back!! I know not everyone was thrilled with the entirety of the systems involved, but it was fun as hell having my own ship :)

Next Stronghold?

Ship? No.

The sky is the answer.

Airship? No.

A dragon. :)

Well, we could live inside a big ancient tree.

I would love this magic place.

I hope for it to tone down a great bit. I don't want to save the world just for the sake of saving it, make the story again about my character.

That's what I liked about BG1 and PoE1, I'm not on a mission from some god saving the world. I'm out there for my own reasons saving myself, and during the journey the bigger plot is revealed (but it doesn't necessary has to be world saving), but the bigger part is not the reason I begin my journey and not the reason why I end it.

I hope to see all new characters, both main and companions.

Some cameos could be fine. But as party members I feel Edér has done his part and the other ones I really don't care about, especially not from Deadfire.

Also avoid open world and bring back the traveling system of PoE. It has the same functionality you travel from map to map, but it just works so much better. 

Eh, I like both games so I don't see need for Obsidian to do radical changes, but if they do, I would always be happy with switch to turn based combat :D

That aside, story wise I'd just like to see game setting in either a) Yezuha  b) Living Lands c) White that Wends. Mostly because those three are areas I'm interested in learning more about. Not that other countries aren't cool or interesting, but they seem most "familiar" to me if that makes sense?

• Like 1

After 72 votes, 60 % of people want the Watcher to continue his adventures. I think is a low percentage because here at forums we know well the lore and the Watcher's history and we should be the people who demand more a PoE3 following the Watcher story.

Lore in Eora is great but the casual player (like 2 companions at office), even playing PoE1 before, don't know too much about lore and they don't care if PoE 2 (my companions haven't played it yet and they even don't remember what happened with gods in PoE1) is a Watcher game or not. Same for a PoE 3 story.

I think it would be more succesfull a PoE3 not following the Watcher's story, being a more traditional game, in which a new main character doesn't mess with gods in their realms. There is plenty of room in Readceras, Vailian Republics, new places, etc.

Anyway, I'd happy if Obsidian could create 2 games, one for the Watcher and another for a new character :devil:

Edited by juanval

Eh, I like both games so I don't see need for Obsidian to do radical changes, but if they do, I would always be happy with switch to turn based combat :D

That aside, story wise I'd just like to see game setting in either a) Yezuha  b) Living Lands c) White that Wends. Mostly because those three are areas I'm interested in learning more about. Not that other countries aren't cool or interesting, but they seem most "familiar" to me if that makes sense?

Out of the three, I'd prefer White That Wends, but I expect it the least.... It's supposed to be a snowy, barren land with wandering tribes. The tribes moving around would be an annoying mechanic, and all the scenery would be pretty much the same. It wouldn't actually sort out for a good place to base a game on.

As for Juanval's comment... A 'new' character could be good... But TBH, WHY are we all so stuck on Eora? Obsidian made Eora, we can have faith they can make a NEW land. With Eora as it stands, at the end of Deadfire, it would be basically impossible to avoid the consequences of the first two games, and avoid the gods, without it feeling horribly contrived. Why not make a NEW land, with a similar system to POE, advertise it as 'being based on the Pillars of Eternity game mechanics' or some such, and go from there?

The more you extend an IP, the more the built-up lore and expectations limit what you can or cannot do. At this point, it's pretty heftily restrictive to try to justify a lore-friendly POE 3 with the Watcher, or one without the Watcher that doesn't interact with the gods. So, why do it? Why labor under countless restrictions when you could start anew?

Make a new IP, one that doesn't involve direct influence by gods, only Priests. Make the gods background dressing, and you can even keep Godlikes around, giving them something similar to Faith and Conviction, but unique to each God. That way, gods are THERE, they have influence, but they speak to noone and never directly interfere. We've kept some of the good things about Pillars, but freed up the narrative for new plots, plots that won't restrict or affect the following games as much. 

Tyranny was an interesting universe, even if the game itself still feels unfinished because of how much was left un-done in the game. This new Outer Worlds or whatever should at least be an interesting lore-wise kind of thing, regardless of the game's overall quality. Obisidian has proven they can and will make interesting new worlds if they want to... Why not do THAT and have a POE3 that isn't named POE, and isn't in Eora, but still has that high fantasy style and the game mechanics we love?

I would love to see a Tyranny 2!!!  Ugh though I must say depending on what path you took in Tyranny the ending either wrapped up nicely, or seemed incredibly open ended.  As for POE3 I would like to see Old Vailia, but people keep saying Living Lands and that would be good too.

Though the idea of an Ancient something stirring in Old Vailia uniting the nation into a conquering, warlike force seems good - maybe even with the rulers of Defiance Bay and the Deadfire, etc tasking the watcher with finding the root of this evil, and why the Watcher because at the heart of Old Vailia's new found power is animacy and the devouring of souls - who better than the Watcher ... [copyrighted 2019 by yours truly ;)]

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

Let's see something different next time. Even Aedyr would count. Old Vailia is probably similar to the Republics and we saw their pirates in Deadfire. Living Lands would be ideal.

Forgotten Sanctum spoilers:

There was a book about the Engwithans reclaiming the Living Lands or something like that. Also, one about Xaurip and Vithrack cities. Maybe there is a secret Big City there. It could even be underground.

sign.jpg

Forgotten Sanctum spoilers:

There was a book about the Engwithans reclaiming the Living Lands or something like that. Also, one about Xaurip and Vithrack cities. Maybe there is a secret Big City there. It could even be underground.

I like that idea! Maybe we'll be asked to infiltrate said city, and maybe we'll be covered in some magical illusions, masking our true identities. But we'll also need a fake name to complete our cover... Hmm, what about 'Veldrin'?

• Like 2

I could go for Aedyr, but isn't the Living Lands an Island area??  Not sure i can handle another boat and island hoping ...

"The Living Lands is a frontier island area in the far north"

And I mean in terms of Old Vailia - you can't beat the description here:

"Once the crown jewel of the southern seas, Old Vailia is now the crumbled remnants of an empire of warring merchant nations. Counting many humans and dwarves among their ranks, the Old Vailian countries are still forces to be reckoned with and are proud of their rich cultural heritage.[3] The nations that once made up the empire are engaged in a continuous war for dominance that has been going on (and off, and on again) for over two hundred years since the empire's collapse.[4]"

I mean what better setting than a war torn Empire???  And don't judge a book by the ones who left .... :)

Edited by bringingyouthefuture

The #1 want for me is improved non-combat systems. Before Magran's Fires with stuff like spoiled food and repairing items, the games feels completely focused on combat, bc dialogue checks are nothing more than increasing a few passive skills. Like a pretty picture that only comes to life when you're fighting. I'd like to have better dialogue and trading systems, better crafting, better stronghold, disposition, and relationships systems. I want the world to feel challenging as a whole not just the combat.

Edited by Verde
  • Like 1

The #1 want for me is improved non-combat systems. Before Magran's Fires with stuff like spoiled food and repairing items, the games feels completely focused on combat, bc dialogue checks are nothing more than increasing a few passive skills. Like a pretty picture that only comes to life when you're fighting. I'd like to have better dialogue and trading systems, better crafting, better stronghold, disposition, and relationships systems. I want the world to feel challenging as a whole not just the combat.

For me almost everything you're asking for would just become tedious busy work you have to juggle. The combat is what a lot of people are here for, with dialog and plot being a secondary concern. All that other stuff is just annoyances I don't want in the way of what I'm playing for.

Edited by protopersona

"As the murderhobo mantra goes: 'If you can't kill it, steal it.'" - Prince of Lies

For me almost everything you're asking for would just become tedious busy work you have to juggle. The combat is what a lot of people are here for, with dialog and plot being a secondary concern. All that other stuff is just annoyances I don't want in the way of what I'm playing for.

Well I can't fault you for playing the game differently. So I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Edited by Verde
  • Like 2

Well I can't fault you for playing the game differently. So I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

What a reasonable guy, usually this turns to finger pointing and 'you're wrong i'm right' sort of bollocks.

But anyways, a nice balance between the 2 is best. Often in these sorts of games i'd try talk dialogue my way out of combat because it can make it more interesting. Especially in KoTOR and that. 

• Like 1

nowt

I do kind of enjoy that you only need to reach the skill check level, rather than the classic DnD dice roll in most cases - though I am not sure that is what you mean when you mentioned increasing passive skills to pass checks - or maybe have it as an on/off option for those who do like that stuff (I personally always want to reload on dice rolls just because I know I will go back or cast a spell to be able to re-roll anyway so it's not like I won't open it in the long run - am I rationalizing - most likely).  Otherwise totally on point - the more they have it can only be better - unless its a mess.  I like the reputation system when I started trying to not to get certain reputations - otherwise before that it didn't make much sense to me.

I like the idea of increased dialogue and lore... Spoiling food and breaking equipment are only good for either gold sinks or added difficulty, so they're perfectly placed right now, as optional extra challenges that don't offer any benefit for completion.

I do, technically, play these games for the combat... But I'm not hugely for or against RTWP, so I could get that fix in a LOT of other places. The lore is what draws me in, as it does in basically every fully single player game I actually enjoy. The customization is what keeps me coming back. But at no point am I drawn in by the extra challenges. A challenge is needed, or the game becomes an overblown visual novel. Extra? Not my jam.

I think something like Dark Souls is so popular not because of one aspect, but because it is more than the sum of it's parts. I think the IE games were like that.

My understanding is that a large part of the CURRENT popularity of the Souls games is their infamous challenge level. The Dark Souls games are still very much known as insanely challening, mechanically demanding games, and all the Souls-Like game are billed as much the same. Completing a Souls game is an achievement by the very nature of the games.

Completing Deadfire, even on TOI POTD, isn't seen as as much of an achievement, because it's a knowledge based challenge, which really isn't regarded as impressively. I'm not honestly sure there can be too much comparison.