Questions the the Devs - Take 2

The last thread fell apart.

Not to mention, that the point of a sticky is to allow someone new to the forum to quickly find pertinent information quickly without reading the whole forum. At 33 pages plus, the thread fails in that regard.

I haven't collected every piece of information on the game (Craftman's FAQ is better suited to that, and I don't want to step on his toes). He incorporate all this into the FAQ if he so desires. I've also seen magazine articles and other sources be inaccurate so far.

What I have done is collect many of the Dev's official responses to common questions, as well as some unanswered questions. Perhaps we can replace the old sticky thread with the shorter, condensed version? Also, if the thread were easier to read (less cluttered with off topic arguments of which many of are guilty) then perhaps we are more likely to get information from the dev team.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Story/Characters

How dark can TSL be? In KotOR Taris and Dantooine are both destroyed no matter what path you take. So I guess making the game "darker" would be making more destruction like that, no matter what path you take.

A darker story doesn't necessarily mean more mass destruction. Sometimes it's the more personal tragedies that make the mood more somber or 'dark'.

In saying that, keep in mind that I actually don't know a whole lot of the story of the game. Most of it is in the designers' heads more than in docs, and I don't have a lot of time to read story docs to begin with. Too busy coding.

But I know how Avellone writes, and I do know a few details or ideas that are going to happen. -Akari

We are trying to create more dark side options so you don't have to be "psychotic evil". -John Morgan

Will the game prompt you to ask NPCs what is wrong like KOTOR?

There will be no instances in K2 where you will be prompted by the game to ask a CNPC what's wrong. Any issues or problems the CNPC has can be brought up if you ask them, or will occur in a context-relevant event. There will be instances where they initiate conversation with you, but it won't always be about their companion quest or whatever problems they're having. -Chris Avellone

Devs will there be battle scenes where ALL of your party is fighting?

I can safely say no, though there may be moments where most of them are trying to pound the crap out of a particularly bad foe, but having full control over all of them won't happen. -Chris Avellone

Will there be Selkath, Rakata, Ewoks or the like in KOTOR:TSL?

I wouldn't mind a Selkath (there are no Selkath planned for K2, however), but there will be no Rakata in K2. I thought the Selkath were pretty cool - that creepy voice made them perfect. -Chris Avellone

No Ewoks or Jawas. Or Gungans. Or any of the pod-racing aliens. -Chris Avellone

I heard the guy on the start screen for KOTOR:TSL changes. Is this random?

It isn't randomized, no.

As to the # of Sith Lords, it isn't one per planet, but thats all I'll say on that.

As to your character appearing there... hm.... -Akari

Will the main character have amnesia?

The player does not have amnesia, does not start the game with amnesia, does not get amnesia over the course of the game, and he/she is quite clear who, what, and where he is at all times. Nor does he/she have any problems with memory, lurking pseudo-personalities, multiple personality disorders, submerged personalities, or any personality problems except what you induce through gameplay by being a nice guy, a jerk, or both. -Chris Avellone

Will I be able to play a non-human as my main character?

PC is human only, male or female, like the first game. -Chris Avellone

I heard there isn't going to be romance in KOTOR:TSL Is this true?

His wording was 'aren't tied solely to romance'. He wasn't saying that there isn't going to be any, but that the NPC interactions are going to be based on more than just romance. -Akari

CGW says you'll have 10 npcs to choose from, but it also says that you will get different ones depending if yoru light, dark, male, female....so does that mean there are more than 10 npcs that will join you, in total?

Yes. -Akari

The total number of NPCs you can get going through a particular path of the game is 10. But there are more than 10 total potential NPCs in the game. You will never reach a situation where you are forced to chose what NPC to get rid of because you've run out of party slots. -Akari

To be honest, the TOTAL number of possible NPCs is still in a state of flux right now. There isn't a finalized number. And even if they were, I'd probably leave it to designer descretion to give the number out. -Akari

What is the underlying theme in KOTOR2?

We aren

Also, if the thread were easier to read (less cluttered with off topic arguments of which many of are guilty) then perhaps we are more likely to get information from the dev team.

***Whistles innocently and curses Carth and the Onasi Order, walks out of the room.***

P.S. You rock man, I was too lazy to gather up that crapload of info, not to mention it would have been a pain browsing all those pages with my connection speed such as it is.

JT :lol:

EGM said 7 planets, CGW said 5 worlds, which is it? Does Peragus count as one of the worlds?

Semi-official answer: Telos, Dantooine, and Peragus have been mentioned by the devs. I haven't seen an official count of planets though.

Will there be cheats?

Semi-official answer: Akari mentioned that cheats are often debug tools left in by the team. So I guess the answer to this question likely won't be known until they are farther along in testing the game. Still, doesn't hurt to ask.

Will the swoop bikes also be upgradable?

Ender's note: In the same post where this was asked originally, it was also asked if you could upgrade the Ebon Hawk. Avellone said a definate no to the Ebon Hawk, but didn't say anything about swoops. Is it fair to assume that the devs are considering making this a feature, but don't want to promise anything?

I want to thank the devs for answering the questions they already have. Many companies promise certain features, but are reticent to say that a feature isn't being included. I also don't mind a response of "we can't say yet" or "we're not sure, we're debating". It's better than no answer.

Guest Michael Chu
Michael Chu is a developer on KOTOR:TSL, and he can't get out of the first room in Planescape: Torment.

I'd just like to point out that it was on a recent replay of Planescape: Torment that I was unable to get out of the first room. Also, I conferred with Mr. Spitzley about this, and he's confirmed that this appears to be some sort of strange bugs, not another thing to add to my list of shortcomings. :lol:

Michael Chu is a developer on KOTOR:TSL, and he can't get out of the first room in Planescape: Torment.

I'd just like to point out that it was on a recent replay of Planescape: Torment that I was unable to get out of the first room. Also, I conferred with Mr. Spitzley about this, and he's confirmed that this appears to be some sort of strange bugs, not another thing to add to my list of shortcomings. :lol:

This was meant as a friendly ribbing, like the Feargus comments I made.

Excellent idea. The other thread was getting pretty bogged down with pointless chatter/off topic stuff.

I'm wondering how often little tidbits of information will be released. I'm assuming that we'll know more as the time grows nearer, or atleast I hope so.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Is everyone trying to make this Topic as long as the first one? Everyone stop congratulating him...we all agree he did a good job, but now take what he has said into effect. Let's not get off topic and lets start asking more (reasonable) questions to the Dev's.

My question is: Are you guys thinking of maybe putting some type of multi-player options for the XBox Live? What I mean is, when you log onto XBox Live you have an option of taking your 3 party members from your last saved game and fight them against another 3 party members from a friend/neighbor's saved game.

I've got another question about the upgrades system. Will you be able to actually build things from scratch? For example get ahold of high quality components and build yourself a hybrid weapon (like a disrupter/ion rifle) or a very high quality ordinary weapon that has the potential to be more powerful than an upgraded one could be, because you're building it from scratch?

Will you have the ability to make weird ass McGuyver contraptions from ordinary objects? Like making a runway out of mud, a ski hand hewn out of a log, and a little bit of ingenuity? Or a stun gun out of a glove some electrical tape, and a disposable digital camera capacitator? (Okay, the last one was something Kevin Rose did on Unscrewed. :) )

Will you have the ability to make weird ass McGuyver contraptions from ordinary objects? Like making a runway out of mud, a ski hand hewn out of a log, and a little bit of ingenuity? Or a stun gun out of a glove some electrical tape, and a disposable digital camera capacitator? (Okay, the last one was something Kevin Rose did on Unscrewed. :) )

Or a water-hooka out of T3-M4. :D

Will you have the ability to make weird ass McGuyver contraptions from ordinary objects?  Like making a runway out of mud, a ski hand hewn out of a log, and a little bit of ingenuity?  Or a stun gun out of a glove some electrical tape, and a disposable digital camera capacitator?  (Okay, the last one was something Kevin Rose did on Unscrewed.  :)  )

Or a water-hooka out of T3-M4. :D

Hell yes. :p

Add this to the pile, Ender:

The total number of NPCs you can get going through a particular path of the game is 10. But there are more than 10 total potential NPCs in the game. You will never reach a situation where you are forced to chose what NPC to get rid of because you've run out of party slots.

-Akari

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Will a demo be released?

That hasn't been decided yet. That would be up to Lucas Arts.

CGW says you'll have 10 npcs to choose from, but it also says that you will get different ones depending if yoru light, dark, male, female....so does that mean there are more than 10 npcs that will join you, in total?

Yes.

Are there plans to feature space-suit, pressure-suit levels like KOTOR?  Will they be as slow?

No one likes the slowdown, including us. While such levels may appear, you won't be getting outpaced by sea cucumbers.

Will you be able to dye gear to further customize it?

Probably not.

I think that's all I can address at the moment. ;)

-Akari

My question is: Are you guys thinking of maybe putting some type of multi-player options for the XBox Live? What I mean is, when you log onto XBox Live you have an option of taking your 3 party members from your last saved game and fight them against another 3 party members from a friend/neighbor's saved game.

Interesting idea, but no. There will definitely not be any multi-player support. The client/server structure of the Aurora engine was broken during the development of KotOR1 (since it didn't need multiplayer support either). It would be a major overhaul to make the engine capable of multiplayer again. It's just not going to happen.

-Akari

Will a demo be released?

That hasn't been decided yet. That would be up to Lucas Arts.

Yes.

Are there plans to feature space-suit, pressure-suit levels like KOTOR?