What is coming

Chilloutman

Personally am waiting for the new Radeon cards (Codenamed 'Navi'), will probably buy the best mid grade option once they launch, as I am staunchly a 1080p pc user.  Not sure of the pricing yet, but I'm sure I will be able to play Cyberpunk 2077 high-max as I can currently play Witcher 3 on high max with my rx580.

• 2 weeks later...

Any suggestion for good monitoring software who does it all? I want to see CPU temp, GPU temp, fan speed all in one ideally?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

2 hours ago, Chilloutman said:

Any suggestion for good monitoring software who does it all? I want to see CPU temp, GPU temp, fan speed all in one ideally?

MSI Afterburner and RiviaStatisticServer work great together.  Downloading the former comes with the latter.

Edited by ComradeMaster

10 hours ago, Chilloutman said:

hwinfo64 is great, though it's a little overkill.

Video of its sensors in action: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/prf7fw0bm6dmzdo/2019-11-20_22-48-09.mp4

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

• 1 month later...

Anyone else here that is pretty massively dissapointed in AMD's gpus so far? The 5700xt series barely competes  with nVidias offering with a die advantage, and their "new" gpu is said to deliver similar to 2080/ti peformance, with their own HW ray tracing solution, while nVidia still hasn't gone to 7nm in their process.

Spent most of the evening trawling thorugh AMD reddit see, and I see a bunch of people thinking it's going to be the next brea.... best thing since sliced bread, and it's getting on my nerves to be honest. As much of an AMD fan as I am, I am going to have a hard time to justify being a fan of AMD hardware as it is.

Honestly do y'all see any future in AMD's (currently, honestly pretty ****ty) GPU lineup or the rumored future?

I mean a similar to 2080ti performance GPU?  With a a die advantage? They can't beat a nearly 800mm2 die with 7nm, how the **** are they going to stay relevant when nVidia goes from 12 to 7m,?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

16 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Anyone else here that is pretty massively dissapointed in AMD's gpus so far? The 5700xt series barely competes  with nVidias offering with a die advantage, and their "new" gpu is said to deliver similar to 2080/ti peformance, with their own HW ray tracing solution, while nVidia still hasn't gone to 7nm in their process.

Spent most of the evening trawling thorugh AMD reddit see, and I see a bunch of people thinking it's going to be the next brea.... best thing since sliced bread, and it's getting on my nerves to be honest. As much of an AMD fan as I am, I am going to have a hard time to justify being a fan of AMD hardware as it is.

Honestly do y'all see any future in AMD's (currently, honestly pretty ****ty) GPU lineup or the rumored future?

I mean a similar to 2080ti performance GPU?  With a a die advantage? They can't beat a nearly 800mm2 die with 7nm, how the **** are they going to stay relevant when nVidia goes from 12 to 7m,?

Their current cards are advertised correctly as "mid-ranged", however later this year they're releasing Navi 21, 22, 23 which they are proclaiming to be their "Nvidia Killers" so we'll so what they produce.  They're probably a little dazzled with success right now with their latest sleugh of CPU's being Intel Killers so they probably think they can pummel Nvidia as well, even though Nvidia is calmly planning their 7mn 3000 cards to prevent an AMD outflank.

This "Red Offensive" is a Godsend for us Intel and Nvidia users though, as it's forcing them to release better quality hardware at lower prices!  Thank you AMD!

Edited by ComradeMaster

Eh, their midranged GPU's that are on the same performance level as 2070 still doesn't have Ray tracing.

Ray. Tracing.

Seriously, it's the holy grail of graphics. Even if the performance could be said to be **** while doing ray tracing... it's still playable RAY-TRACING. nVidia is doing ray tracing at fairly acceptable performance at 12nm.. Twelve. Nano-meters.

AMD is struggling to match them in basic rasterization. I've got a Vega 64, it's about 15% slower than a 5700xt. And the 5700xt is on 7nm... it's, honestly, pretty pathetic.

And I'm saying this as someone that's gone from x800 in 2004, to a 5850, 7970, fury and then Vega 64. The ****.

nVidia hasn't even announced a die shrink yet, because; They, haven't, had, a, need, to.

If we look at the latest believable rumors, AMDs next offering is going to just about beat the 2080ti from nVidia while offering their own HW ray tracing solution.

At the same time, nVidia has had time and money, experience and a die shrink to improve their performance.. The latest rumors I've read (Which has similar believablility as the AMD ones) offers atleast a 30% increase over the 2080ti... while AMD's latest offering is talking about matching a 2080ti in performance.

Granted, if they do this in the ~400$ pricerange it'd be good, but I can't believe them putting their gpu in such a pricerange, especially on a 7nm node with that feature-set. And after speaking to a chinese coworkerd at work earlier today, and asking her to translate the original article for me and confirm what others said, that the new AMD lineup is twice as big and not twice the performance... we'll, the 2020 gpu horizon is going to be a massive dissapoinment.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Eh, pretty strong rumour is that nVidia's 7nm is not announced due to them committing to Samsung 7nm instead of TSMC and Samsung's 7nm process being about as broken as Intel's 10nm- so nVidia cannot get top tier chips off it, TSMC's 7nm is by all accounts fully booked until their next plant comes online and Apple finishes up their orders, so even if nVidia wanted to do a 7nm release they cannot. And given Jensen's abysmal interpersonal skills who knows if he's burnt the bridges to TSMC along with the bridges to Intel, MS and Sony. Not that it really matters so far as nVidia is concerned, at the moment.

AMD actually has no problem at all with raw performance, Vega was so popular for mining because it had great raw number crunching power. RDNA is also equal to Turing there. Their problem is turning their theoretical performance into practical performance and competing with stuff like nVidia's texture compression (albeit that ensures I'll never buy nVidia, while faster I find their colours to be badly washed out). AMD's real advantage will come when/ if they can start producing 'proper' APUs as that will eat nVidia's low/ mid end desktop and laptop lunch and when they've got Infinity Fabric/ Multi Chip Module video cards. On the V64 vs 5700xt comparison, remember the 5700xt only has 44 CUs vs a V64's, uh, 64. There's a pretty significant practical performance increase on a like to like basis, around 40%, it's just hidden by not having an RDNA card with 64CUs to do a direct comparison.

End of the day matching nVidia in performance is irrelevant anyway, practically. Even when they've beaten nVidia in basically everything- price, performance, efficiency- nVidia has more sales; the 570 brutally murdered the 1050/Ti price performance wise yet the nVidia card sold better.

[I'd put money on the actual top AMD card not being the rumoured 2080Ti competitor Navi21/ 80CU with that being the tier 2 card]

• Like 1

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-ampere-purportedly-50-faster-than-turing-at-half-the-power-consumption

According to that they're using TSMC mainly. Just ignore the unbelievable performance rumor bull. :)

Sure, Jensen might have burned bridges, but TSMC is a company, they'll use that against nVidia and probably sell them less for more money, something that nVidia can afford considering their massive earnings. They've been selling everything at a premium and people are willing to pay it, so I don't think that'll be a problem, they just might not make quite the profit on  the 3xxx series as they have on the earlier ones.

Oh, I do love the fact that my Vega 64 matches the theoretical performance of say a 2080ti, but that 2080ti is 60% faster in rasterization performance. I mean, I'm lost for words! xD

I honestly don't think they have much of a chance there unless they can pull some magical shenanigans with their console-dominance and have game-devs implement some form of programming that essentially doesn't work on nVidias offerings, but that is not AMD's style. nVidias too ingrained in peoples minds, it's been the same **** since what, the beginnings of the HD series when AMD was massively dominant in every way, and people kept buying nVidias ****. :( I mean, we have above us here that is part of the problem..

That said, from what I've read MCM videocards aren't going to be a thing really, programmers don't want to deal with it since they have to program for what is essentially crossfire/sli to get MCM GPUs to work properly.

Tom's may well be right about nVidia's intentions as of now, but TSMC per pretty much every source has no spare capacity, now, since instead of there being at least three 'open' 7nm processes available- Samsung, TSMC, GloFo/ IBM and no an extent even Intel's 10nm was meant to be available to 3rd parties- there is only really TSMC working as of 2020. So they'll just have to wait until there is spare capacity and (if rumours are to be believed) existing customers are being given first right of refusal to extra capacity hence AMD doing 7nm laptop chips ahead of their expected time and not long after their 3000 series laptop chips were released. The rumours that nVidia were intending to be all in at Samsung  were pretty strong and very persistent over a long period and from multiple sources. If they didn't book capacity they aren't magically going to get it and it's highly unlikely TSMC would kick loyal customers for a disloyal one.

As for MCMs, programmers didn't want to deal with multi core CPUs for a long time either. Some of AMD's patents suggest they have solutions to some of the potential problems anyway, and nVidia is definitely looking at them as well.

10 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Their problem is turning their theoretical performance into practical performance and competing with stuff like nVidia's texture compression (albeit that ensures I'll never buy nVidia, while faster I find their colours to be badly washed out).

I have a 5700XT and a 2080 Super and I can say w/o bias that the 5700XT definitely looks more "washed out" color-wise but one thing I did notice on the 5700XT that distances seem to look a bit sharper so I'll give it that.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-ampere-gpu-graphics-card-samsung,39787.html

Edit; ****, this one went all wonky..

Updated, 7/5/19, 9:23am PT: Nvidia executive vice president of operations Debora Shoquist said in a statement that “Recent reports are incorrect – NVIDIA’s next-generation GPU will continue to be produced at TSMC. NVIDIA already uses both TSMC and Samsung for manufacturing, and we plan to use both foundries for our next-generation GPU products.”

Updated, 7/5/19, 7:25am PT: An Nvidia spokesperson responded to our request for comment on this story by saying that "We do not comment on rumors or speculation." We asked if that meant Nvidia was disputing The Korea Herald's report, or if Nvidia Korea's Yoo Eung-joon was mistaken about Samsung manufacturing Ampere GPUs using its 7nm EUVL process. The spokesperson said, "We already use both TSMC and Samsung, and qualify each of them for every process node. We can’t comment in any further detail on future plans, but both remain terrific partners."

We'll see though, it might be that AMD gets a couple of months before nVidia releases their thing, we can hope it'll be enough, but I doubt it.

Edited by Azdeus

8 hours ago, Azdeus said:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-ampere-purportedly-50-faster-than-turing-at-half-the-power-consumption

According to that they're using TSMC mainly. Just ignore the unbelievable performance rumor bull. :)

Yes they are using TSMC and Samsung for their 7nm and we can realistically expect a 30% increase in performance.

However, I would like to see Navi 21's performance in comparison to the 3080 ti before I make a commitment, as would be open to "Turning Red" if they actually ever manage to outperform Nvidia's flagship cards.  The Ryzen 3950X is a beast and comes with a sound stock fan w/o even having to worry about overclocking, and should pair up beautifully with the Navi 21.

What AMD should do is focus on 4k performance.  Their Navi architecture looks great on higher resolutions so if they can manage a card that achieves at least 75fps 4k on anything then they've already caught my attention.

It would force me to choose between 144fps 1440p or 75fps 4k with the respective cards.

Edited by ComradeMaster

21 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

Yes they are using TSMC and Samsung for their 7nm and we can realistically expect a 30% increase in performance.

However, I would like to see Navi 21's performance in comparison to the 3080 ti before I make a commitment, as would be open to "Turning Red" if they actually ever manage to outperform Nvidia's flagship cards.  The Ryzen 3950X is a beast and comes with a sound stock fan w/o even having to worry about overclocking, and should pair up beautifully with the Navi 21.

What AMD should do is focus on 4k performance.  Their Navi architecture looks great on higher resolutions so if they can manage a card that achieves at least 75fps 4k on anything then they've already caught my attention.

It would force me to choose between 144fps 1440p or 75fps 4k with the respective cards.

What are you going on about?

NAVI does worse compartively the higher the resolution compared to other offerings, they're memory-bandwidth starved.

7 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

So is that a confession that AMD is garbage when it comes to high end GPU's and shouldn't even bother?

Their current architectures does seem quite so, yes. Who knows, there might be some magic they can chant over the drivers and find something that increases performance some 30%, and then I'd actually be impressed with it, but as I said before their powerefficiency of RDNA is horrible really, that's likely why they make them so small. If they build any mammoths, like the leak about their next navi suggests, it's going to be 300+++ watts

6 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

I suspect there will be a top card with HBM that will solve the memory bandwidth problem, but it won't be cheap. But then the top nVidia offering is hardly cheap either.

We can hope, HBM would also help solve the power problem a bit. People are fantasizing about them using a 512bit bus, but as buildzoid said...  powerdraw would be immense 😕

Yeah, one can hardly call nVidia good value, but what can you do about a giant that noone can come close to? Especially when people are actually willing to pay those insane prices? It's not going to be better if AMD gets back on the absolute throne either, people will just use that as an excuse to buy nVidia on "the cheap". History has shown it before, people don't want to buy AMD they just want cheaper nVidia stuff.

I do hope that their next offering does become good enough to be a valuable proposition next to nVidia, if they can manage to get close enough to nVidias offerings so that I don't feel stupid for buying AMD I might upgrade my AMD card, but if they can't bring out something good enough I'm going to have to get a nVidia card for the first time since the TNT2 :(

I've got a Vega64 as well and don't regret buying it even slightly. It's been stable, faster than a 1080 after tweaking and despite being a Strix was cheaper too. The power draw is higher but that's my least concern.

Since RDNA2 is meant to be the iteration going into the consoles I'd suspect that power efficiency will have been a big factor in its development and differentiation from RDNA1. RDNA1 got a good 'IPC' boost over Polaris/ Vega but to get to a '2080 level' Navi GPU, based on RDNA1's power efficiency, looks practically impossible without big efficiency gains even if the 2080 were the MaxQ variant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zoraptor said:

I've got a Vega64 as well and don't regret buying it even slightly. It's been stable, faster than a 1080 after tweaking and despite being a Strix was cheaper too. The power draw is higher but that's my least concern.

Since RDNA2 is meant to be the iteration going into the consoles I'd suspect that power efficiency will have been a big factor in its development and differentiation from RDNA1. RDNA1 got a good 'IPC' boost over Polaris/ Vega but to get to a '2080 level' Navi GPU, based on RDNA1's power efficiency, looks practically impossible without big efficiency gains even if the 2080 were the MaxQ variant.

I wouldn't have been dissapointed if it wasn't for the fact that I could, in theory if any were available, have gotten a 2070/2080. Since you've got a vega 64 aswell, noticed any oddities with the latest software & drivers? Mine randombly, now and then, though not under load, blacking out. Seems the programs keep running in the background, no keyboard response, no display.

That is true, and could explain how the PS5 is going to run 2.0ghz on it's cores, it'd be promising, but I'm cautious about having too much optimism. Kind of got overhyped on Vega.

I haven't upgraded to the newest drivers yet as the big December updates are always a bit shambolic- and it seems pretty dumb to me doing them in December when there's not a lot of time to fix the inevitable bugs so I'm still on a November driver.

I had similar symptoms a few months ago though, and it was windows update randomly insisting on installing year old drivers over new ones.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

I've got a Vega64 as well and don't regret buying it even slightly. It's been stable, faster than a 1080 after tweaking and despite being a Strix was cheaper too.

Well, that tempted fate. Dead as a dodo.

Though I have to put some blame on Gigabyte's motherboard design, SATA sockets, m2, everything they could cram in expansion wise is next to PCIe x16 and inaccessible even with a short single slot graphics card, and a V64 ain't either. Having the m2 there in particular is stupid, why put something heat sensitive under the hottest part of the computer where it won't get any air flow? It's had to be removed about a dozen times and this time the fans didn't spin up afterwards. Under warranty, though I doubt they'll approve an RMA and say I mishandled it.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

Though I have to put some blame on Gigabyte's motherboard design, SATA sockets, m2, everything they could cram in expansion wise is next to PCIe x16 and inaccessible even with a short single slot graphics card, and a V64 ain't either. Having the m2 there in particular is stupid, why put something heat sensitive under the hottest part of the computer where it won't get any air flow? It's had to be removed about a dozen times and this time the fans didn't spin up afterwards. Under warranty, though I doubt they'll approve an RMA and say I mishandled it.

How, if there is no obvious damage they can do jack sh*t. Just don't let them blow you off and don't be afraid to raise a fuss, it works wonders.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

1 hour ago, Zoraptor said:

F

That really sucks. :´(

Don't ask me why, but it's working again. I was installing a new SSD in the m2 slot which was why the Vega came out in the first place and it wasn't working, replaced the old SSD (so fully removed the Vega again to get there) and it still didn't work, tried my old 580 in both situations and it worked, installed windows on the new SSD and went to bed. This afternoon I though I'd try some more troubleshooting since I had some spare time and the Vega works fine first time. Only thing I can think of is that I might have changed over which 8 pin sockets the two theoretically identical 8 pin power connectors from the PSU went into.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1