What is coming

Chilloutman

So guys,

My old friend is soon going to depart to silicon heaven and i am tempting to jump on building a new one, but I lately stop watching trends and I am pretty much in darknes.

I know that RAMs are not problem right now as they are pretty cheap and I think that motherboards are all +- same if am I correct.

So biggest questions are:

CPU, GPU, Hard Disk, new monitors

I defo want SSD 2TB+ I really have no desire so shuffle games from SSD to HDD so I want big SSD for all but those are still pretty expensive compared to 1TB disks (any idea when we can expect price drop?) and what manufacturer is the best?

Are there coming some new really impactfull CPUs? I heards some rumors about new Intel CPUs but no idea how it looks with those and how expensive they are going to be

as for GPU, I generally prefer NVidia but I am really lost in latest new around those, I am thinking that I want to prepare PC for Cyberpunk and i want to rock it on max settings so i think there I am going to bleed most of my cash

and lastly, any decent monitors I can rock (I need at least 2 monitors to pretty much function with PC threse days) and not sell my kidney to get?

Thanks all bois,

Looking for suggestions

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

At this point you might as well wait three days for CES. AMD will have their CPU/ GPU news and Intel/ nVidia will have something as well. Probably not much from nVidia though since they've just launched their new range, maybe not much more than formal 2060/1160 and below cards and a big campaign to replace Freesync branding with 'G-sync® Compatible' branding.

A fair bit will be announcements rather than actual releases but it should clear things up a bit for the future.

• Like 1

how expensive those new ones are you expecting to be?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

We'll know how things stand better this time tomorrow after AMD's announcements.

You'd need to check the prices for the released nVidia cards locally, there are big discrepancies between pricing by location. 2080Ti is fastest by a fair bit but very expensive and very poor on price/ performance basis, and has had reliability issues. The RTX 2060 was announced at CES and it only has a MSRP at the moment (350USD, IIRC) and replaces the 1070Ti more or less.

The AMD announcement is at 1700GMT Wednesday. Not too much point speculating on pricing etc since it's so close but it will probably feature consumer 7nm Vega and a Navi release date and definitely details on Zen2/ Ryzen 3000 series CPUs.

Intel announcement was filling out the 9000 series CPU line (and mobile 10nm Ice Lake late this year, honest and no backsies). Underwhelming since the 9000 series is still, basically, just another Skylake rebrand and there's at least one more 14nm desktop line planned as well in Comet Lake, so desktop 10nm may still be as much as two years off.

well i dont want to fork over more that 2500USD and even that is quite a lot right now. any suggestions?

Seriously, there isn't too much point making solid system suggestions at the moment unless it's urgent since AMD is doing their information releases tomorrow and it's supposed to be significant information that is released. Leaks say 16 cores up to 5GHz and better IPC than Intel, and 1080 level performance for 250USD from Navi, but we'll know tomorrow if that's accurate and when they're slated for release.

It also depends a lot on the monitors you want, high resolution/ high refresh rate/ curved/ panel type etc. Most people prefer IPS/VA panels over TN, but it's a balance especially if you want two or if you want high refresh and resolution as well. My monitor ended up costing nearly 50% more than my video card, though I don't regret the cost.

Samsung 970 is the best SSD available for a reasonable price, but you get most of its practical performance from the Intel 660p which is a fair bit cheaper. At the current prices here I'd definitely go NVMe over SATA. Memory supply is a bit cartelish, so there isn't much prospect of prices dropping significantly. RAM is still pretty expensive as well, unfortunately. Motherboard choice depends on CPU pick, mostly it's just matching CPU/ MB with overclocking if needed.

Realistically you'd be pushed to get a 2080Ti and two decent monitors and 2TB SSDs plus CPU/MB for 2500USD even if you didn't also need RAM and a PSU(?), so there will need to be trade offs.

If I had to spend 2500USD now with the stipulations given and didn't hate nVidia I'd personally go for something like an RTX2080 (check reviews/ prices for brand), 2TB Intel 660p SSD, AMD Ryzen 2600/ MSI B450 Tomahawk MB, 16GB RAM (around 3000MHz seems to be the price sweet spot at the moment, brand irrelevant so long as it isn't generic) and use the rest to get one good 1440p monitor and a cheapish 1080p secondary. I'm in New Zealand, so price comparisons will vary from Europe.

• Like 1

I already got 800 PSU so i hope i will not need to upgrade from that, going to try your config now on local store to see what price tag I will get, I am honestly not too sure about getting 2 different monitors, getting colors same on both is usually pain in the arse

i just searched for 2080Ti + SSD Intel 660p 2Tb and i am almost at 2200 bucks, there is no way i can get MB, RAM and CPU with it to get into that price range, not to mention monitors. Where do you guys shop for such cheap components?

edit,

managed to squeeze it to 1850, now i need hints on the rest xD

Edited by Chilloutman

The breakdown I used (in NZD) was ~1300 RTX2080 (non Ti), 600 for the 660p, 500 for a Ryzen 2600 (300) and B450 Tomahawk (200), 300 for RAM which leaves around about 1000 NZD for the monitor(s) and any sundry expenses. That's including 15% GST, most US prices do not include taxes so they are always cheaper.

The 2080Ti is seriously expensive, if you want it you'll at minimum have to compromise on 2 monitors, but you also have to spend on a decent monitor to get the benefit of it. Even the cheapest no name TN 4k monitor is around 500$ here, and IPS/VA start at 700. The cheapest 1440p monitor (TN) with a decent refresh rate is 600. There is no point getting worse monitors than that with a 2080Ti unless you're into competitive gaming where a very high refresh 1080p monitor would be an option.

• Like 1

thanks man, now i am getting there, so what do you suggest as a monitor, also how do you see longevity with such setup?

Also about that disc, I heard that QLC have some problem with longevity?

Also about that disc, I heard that QLC have some problem with longevity?

We don't know yet because they haven't been around for much time, but on paper TLC should be able to withstand an order of magnitude more writes QLC. The write issue is or was overrated for TLC (if you write the entire drive once a week for ten years, you will on average still have ten years worth of writes to go IIRC), but for QLC it could be an issue. QLC supposedly uses better error correction, so the difference may not be that significant.

thanks man, now i am getting there, so what do you suggest as a monitor, also how do you see longevity with such setup?

Longevity would be OK. Weakest part would be the processor but 6/12 should last a while and except at low resolution and high refresh rates the GPU is the limiting factor most of the time. AMD also offers a decent potential upgrade path through its 3000 series (the part it showed at CES was as fast as Intel's flagship consumer chip in multithreading yet is probably AMD's mid range option) and the MSI B450 boards have very good components- as good as most others' 470 boards- that should last. Who knows with the GPU, you just have to buy what's available. My personal opinion is that this year is a poor time to buy a video card but an excellent time to get a CPU, but the GPU issue is mostly value based rather than them being bad and quick to age (early RTX specific performance is likely to age badly though).

You'll have to pick your own monitor, I wouldn't even make a suggestion as it's just too personal a choice in terms of balancing the factors involved. I am very happy with my 34" curved ultrawide Samsung (cf791) but it's impossible to even recommend that in this case as it's about as expensive as your budget for two monitors (and I think it's been superceded by a new model as well).

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 1

Thanks Zoraptor,

one more question, lately I got hard time installing win 7 on new disks/motherboards. Do you know if I will still be able to install Win7 without issues? (I am not sure what was the problem, i think some booting sector or something was causing problems and I was fighting with it for few days before I managed to get it working.) I really dont like MS spying software on my PC (read win 10)

So far as I am aware MS has stopped certifying drivers for Win7 on all new consumer motherboards to drive people to Win10. Win7 does usually work with a bit of tinkering, but it isn't officially supported and you won't get chipset drivers and the like which may make things... difficult.

(Note that unless you've been very vigilant you've ended up with the spyware components of Win10 even if using Win7 as they've been stealthed into multiple essential win7 updates)

hah, windows updates are dead to me, i would rather give my info to hackers than to MS

Edited by Chilloutman

So far as I am aware MS has stopped certifying drivers for Win7 on all new consumer motherboards to drive people to Win10. Win7 does usually work with a bit of tinkering, but it isn't officially supported and you won't get chipset drivers and the like which may make things... difficult.

(Note that unless you've been very vigilant you've ended up with the spyware components of Win10 even if using Win7 as they've been stealthed into multiple essential win7 updates)

Wait, what? Was not Win 7 supposed to be supported until 2026?

That's a different aspect of support, support for existing installs and current users. Dropping support on new hardware is also only done for the consumer market where MS has more overt influence and where ASUS/ GB/ MSI/ ASRock etc may tacitly favour dropping support as it saves them costs.

So far as I am aware the big corporate PC suppliers like Dell and HP and Lenovo make new computers that are win7 capable for corporate use since a lot of big volume users still use win7 and won't be pushed to win10 until it suits them. Corporate PCs are usually awful when viewed from the consumer segment though, and typically use very low grade/ conservative (though generally reliable, since service replacement is a big cost) components that are meant to be simple to support.

Edited by Zoraptor

Is your old rig actually about to break or do you just feel like you want a new one now?

There's always a reason to wait on hardware etc. to the point where if you keep waiting, you may find you never buy, haha. Take it from someone who's been considering building a new rig for maybe 4 years and still hasn't done it. :p I definitely know the feeling of being out of the loop (not to mention "too old for this ****" and no idea what direction to turn.

The last time I/hubby priced out a new rig (Win10 one, intended for more 4k gaming but not in a super-picky way) a few months ago I was in the realm of $3000 and that didn't include new monitors. I was going for the intel 9600 I think it was, and an RTX 2080ti, w/32 RAM, 1TB SSD and a couple internal storage HDD's, a case, etc. I'm very (probably irrationally, but there it is) stuck on intel and nvidia tho. By the time I think about it again in 3-6 months, there'll probably be a new cpu or something. Pfffft. :biggrin:

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Is your old rig actually about to break or do you just feel like you want a new one now?

There's always a reason to wait on hardware etc. to the point where if you keep waiting, you may find you never buy, haha. Take it from someone who's been considering building a new rig for maybe 4 years and still hasn't done it. :p I definitely know the feeling of being out of the loop (not to mention "too old for this ****" and no idea what direction to turn.

The last time I/hubby priced out a new rig (Win10 one, intended for more 4k gaming but not in a super-picky way) a few months ago I was in the realm of $3000 and that didn't include new monitors. I was going for the intel 9600 I think it was, and an RTX 2080ti, w/32 RAM, 1TB SSD and a couple internal storage HDD's, a case, etc. I'm very (probably irrationally, but there it is) stuck on intel and nvidia tho. By the time I think about it again in 3-6 months, there'll probably be a new cpu or something. Pfffft. :biggrin:

We are exactly in same spont :biggrin:

Honestly I would not think about new PC if some new games I want to play are not comming in (eg Cyberpung) which will need new HW. Also my old rig is starting to be really slow, those loading times without SSD are getting ridiculous lately

Gabbo-is-coming.jpg

I know its bit different word but it reminded me of:

• 9 months later...

So considering my rig just died I am in this for real now.. any update on suggestions?

nah. fek it:

image.png.75bd1f1867a8fca16a53342fc5fca86f.png

Edited by Chilloutman