The DLC talk - Favorites, dislikes, comparisons to White March etc (spoilers)

Ok, yeah, forgotten sanctum was great. The only downside is it could've been a little longer, but those would probably have just been trash mob fights, so that's ok.

I guess that I just don't get all this wailing and complaining about so-called trash mobs.  They don't bother me a bit.  Every battle can't be one boss fight after another.  That's be annoying and frustrating and boring as all hell, at least to me.

i think it's less about any trash mob fights, it's just when it's excessive and it's basically filler to extend play time. PoE1 originally had a lot of these--on PotD it sometimes felt you couldn't walk a foot without triggering another beetle fight or something. When they toned it down you still had a bunch of fights, but now it felt a little less tedious. I think Deadfire is pretty good on the balance, though I think some dungeons could be a wee bit denser with enemies (I actually wouldn't count Forgotten Sanctum in this, I thought there was a good density of fights).

Edited by thelee

Ok, yeah, forgotten sanctum was great. The only downside is it could've been a little longer, but those would probably have just been trash mob fights, so that's ok.

I guess that I just don't get all this wailing and complaining about so-called trash mobs.  They don't bother me a bit.  Every battle can't be one boss fight after another.  That's be annoying and frustrating and boring as all hell, at least to me.

I don't mind them that much because I like the combat and play on POTD, but to the folks playing on story mode who don't like the combat, they're just a waste of time. Ideally you want every encounter to have some kind of story attached to it.

I guess that I don't have much sympathy here.  To me, these games are all about the combat, and the story exists only as the backdrop, entertaining as it can be.    I play the game for the fights.  The story is, to me, just a way to give some context to the fights.

I don't mind them that much because I like the combat and play on POTD, but to the folks playing on story mode who don't like the combat, they're just a waste of time. Ideally you want every encounter to have some kind of story attached to it.

I guess that I don't have much sympathy here.  To me, these games are all about the combat, and the story exists only as the backdrop, entertaining as it can be.    I play the game for the fights.  The story is, to me, just a way to give some context to the fights.

sure - i'm in this camp. i skim the dialogue enough just to know which option to press to get me through quickly.

but it can still be awfully tedious or boring to fight the same or similar encounter over and over and over on a single map. BoW comes closest to offending my sensibilities here: there are just so many soul collectors or mini-beasts of winter, and they are not interesting fights on top of being bullet sponges. if they had more of those mobs it would become just a slog to get through the DLC.

sure - i'm in this camp. i skim the dialogue enough just to know which option to press to get me through quickly.

but it can still be awfully tedious or boring to fight the same or similar encounter over and over and over on a single map. BoW comes closest to offending my sensibilities here: there are just so many soul collectors or mini-beasts of winter, and they are not interesting fights on top of being bullet sponges. if they had more of those mobs it would become just a slog to get through the DLC.

Yeah, that's the other face of the problem -- "oh look, two soul collectors and the orb monster. Again. I'll hit them with Pull of Eora, Combusting Wounds and Mind Blades, again." Puzzles aren't interesting if you've already solved them.

• Like 1