Hello,

I started to build a new team in 4.0 (I was here mainly 1.0-2.0).

And I test here and here all the weapons.

I never used dual mortar and I have a question. With mythic upgrade, yes it is powerful, in absolute ... : p

A lot of people consider this is the most broken weapons. BUT ^^

I'm Wondering : p accuracy and penetration are not a problem early ?...

Because you start at 6... and you have -15 in accuracy (-10 for the gun, -5 for the powder burn)... It is viable in POTD ?

I try to create a streetfighter + Monk with a willpower to use stun AoE.

But I have bigs doubts about viability. (Against bosses ? Against a majority of foes ?)

Your experience with that ?

Edited by theBalthazar

Well, with monk you'll have tenacious for +2 Pen. Rogue tends to spam Crippling Strike for another +2 Pen. Usually shouldn't be a problem.

But sure, its much better vs certain enemies. Not sure you noticed, but mortars target Reflex rather then Deflection! So you tend to crit large, slow enemies a lot (and thats +50% Pen).

On the other hand they tend to be weak VS roguish targets.

Edited by Haplok
  • Like 1

2 Anothers questions :

1) A way to avoid the friendly fire of the powder burn ?

2) If I disable the powder burn, always worth it in terms of damage ?

1. No, however the powder burn has very low penetration. So as long as your melee guys are armored up, the Burns should just tickle them.

2. No if you disable the Burns you will not get the Streetfighter bonus, hence you are better off running another subclass like Trickster for example.

• Like 1

2 Anothers questions :

1) A way to avoid the friendly fire of the powder burn ?

2) If I disable the powder burn, always worth it in terms of damage ?

Mostly the tank should be inside the PB radius. And his Armor should grow higher then the Penetration. Tends to be a non-issue. They can add a nice chunk of damage vs certain enemies though (and work great proccing stuff like Combusting Wounds).

So IMO you should not disable them. Particularly as a Streetfighter.

A dual mortar thread should almost be stickied at this point.

OP, a streetfighter/monk (I would go helwalker) will absolutely melt through tight clusters of enemies spamming crippling strike, lightning strikes, turning wheel, and thunderous blows. It also creates a cost-effective use for toxic strike since you can apply it to multiple enemies for some excellent DoT. Remember also that gouging strike is guaranteed death for enemies if at least one of your characters can remain standing, so the ability to spread that around as much of the battlefield as possible is really useful.

Better yet with a single class monk and whispers of the wind, which will make a full attack (both mortars) against each of 5 enemies. With the AoE splash followed by resonant touch, it makes most fights trivial. 

Edited by Purudaya
  • Like 2

And once again we have reached the point where I will post this clip: ;)

Hyleon_rocks.gif?dl=1

Something similar can be done with Barbarian's Heart of Fury. NOT with Ranger's Whirling Strikes though - because those are melee only.  

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

And once again we have reached the point where I will post this clip: ;)

Hyleon_rocks.gif?dl=1

Something similar can be done with Barbarian's Heart of Fury. NOT with Ranger's Whirling Strikes though - because those are melee only.

You are itching for a nerf :p. Well maybe they won't because the obvious is that this game theme is piracy. So guns have to be great

What are everyone's favorite ways to debuff reflex to set up the Mortar shots? (My dual-mortar Xoti is a single class Monk, so no Crippling Strike on her.)

Does hand mortar target reflex? I thought it was just accuracy vs. deflection in an aoe, no need to set it up :)

The initial target will use Deflection during attack resolution, but the targets that are in the AoE will use Reflex. Using Miasma is a good way since it lowers both through attribute debuff (-10 PER --> -20 Reflex, -10 RES --> -10 Deflection). Best combied with Nature's Mark: this one directly lowers the defenses (-10 Reflex, -10 Deflection) and thus stacks with Miasma. 

So if you have a Druid and Wizard in the party (or one Sorcerer) you can guarantee (at reasonably low levels) that your dual mortar user will hit stuff very well. 

Add Blessing + Devotions (on top of any passive or ability-based ACC bonus like Blinding Strike etc) that means that you have the equivalent of +35 ACC vs. Deflection and +45 against Reflex for your whole party.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

The initial target will use Deflection during attack resolution, but the targets that are in the AoE will use Reflex. Using Miasma is a good way since it lowers both through attribute debuff (-10 PER --> -20 Reflex, -10 RES --> -10 Deflection). Best combied with Nature's Mark: this one directly lowers the defenses (-10 Reflex, -10 Deflection) and thus stacks with Miasma. 

So if you have a Druid and Wizard in the party (or one Sorcerer) you can guarantee (at reasonably low levels) that your dual mortar user will hit stuff very well. 

Add Blessing + Devotions (on top of any passive or ability-based ACC bonus like Blinding Strike etc) that means that you have the equivalent of +35 ACC vs. Deflection and +45 against Reflex for your whole party.

Huh, you learn something new every day. My streetfighter/helwalker has been blowing through crowds of enemies with just the crippling strike opener for a debuff; will be fun to see how much more effective it can be.

Come to think of it, I usually follow up with gouging strike and then either toxic strike or stunning surge, so by then the combination of dexterity and perception maluses are probably enough not to need spell support in most cases. Devotions of the Faithful is usually active as well though, so I guess I've been applying the right debuffs organically. Interesting :)

• Like 1