Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Which Civilization?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Triple - A Foxy Lad

Triple - A Foxy Lad

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 304 posts
Oh man, i might have to try this civ 6 when update drops.

Ive always loved the series. I got into it via colonization, which i was kind of obsessed with. Im glad it remains such a big deal.

However i am like, comically bad at all such games. I have similar relationship with heroes of might and magic. Guess i have no head for strategy. Just like moving things around map and watching story unfold.

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5571 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Well, that goes a long way, and it's definitely half the fun playing Civ, at least for me. But the other half is coming up with long-term strategies and see them get squashed by random events and bad outcomes during pivotal moments.

• InsaneCommander likes this

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7858 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2681 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

yeah we all remember times of Mali imperioum xD

Mali had a good sized and very rich empire for multiple centuries. They certainly are a lot more of a legit Civ faction than Maori are at the very least, and I should be biased towards including the Maori.

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2076 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

That's nearly a perfect lineup of added civs, if you ask me. :)

I'm guessing this is the last expansion (could be wrong though since Rise & Fall was sort of small...) but I really want to see the following.

The Celts,

Venice or some Italian Renaissance (not Rome) Civ. Venice could suffice, but I want to see the idea of Venice expanded further to a united Italy.

The Huns

Mexico

Tibetan Empire (or maybe Nepal for a tall mountain Civ.)

Ethiopia

Plus alt leaders for US & China would be nice.

Another solid list of Civs (suggestions). Specially the first two.

Starwars

Starwars

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3205 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

There is one thing about Civ VI that frustrates me even more than the crappy AI. It's something that mostly becomes apparent when you've played the game a lot. And it frustrates me to the point where I will sometimes ragequit the game.

And that is the incredibly crappy map generation system. Even when decreasing the number of civs in the game, it is all too common for the game to start you off with other civs like... *right* next to you. Now, this isn't always a terrible thing but if you play on higher difficulties, this can basically mean a game over because the AI starts with more settlers. And they can settle those cities in a way that makes it impossible for you to expand because of the loyalty system (a mechanic which I rather like otherwise). And that is of course if you survive until the AI declares war on you (because it *will* declare war on you in those situations).

It's also apparent in how the game divides up its continents (which is important as it controls luxury resources, each continent has different luxuries available). Sometimes you'll start in a location where you'll have 3 continents within easy reach. Which is a *huge* advantage because you get access to a lot of different luxuries. 

Other times, the games crams nearly every civ into the same continent, with one civ on a big landmass on its own.

Sometimes, random map scripting can be fun. But my god I really wish there was a "balanced start" option where it placed civs on the map with a reasonable distance from one another, where the continents are somewhat evenly divided and where city states don't get stuck in weird clusters.

It's not as big of a problem on King difficulty for example but if you want to play on harder difficulties it can be absolutely maddening.

The devs pride themselves on VI being the game in the series that has the most interaction with the map (districtplacement for example), so it's unfortunate that it's also easily the most random game when it comes to spawning the player on it.

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I know they are working on improving aspect of map generation, they have to with the new features. No clue if it will be enough though.

One issue is that as you "solve" for how maps should be organized to both be feature rich, diverse, and fair. You run into the issue of basically generating the same maps over and over. To keep things varied, then you might sacrifice on that tuning. Since Civ VI has the must map rich features, it makes the generation ever more constrained by the games unique systems.

Very much a double edged sword.

Huinehtar

Huinehtar

Technothaumaturgist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Play Civ 2, and when you're done with scientific research victory, you can play its sequel Alpha Centauri, also one of the best games ever made. :dancing:

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Play Civ 2, and when you're done with scientific research victory, you can play its sequel Alpha Centauri, also one of the best games ever made. :dancing:

If you have Civ V and win a scientific victory and have Beyond Earth installed you can literally launch it from your win screen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users