Which Civilization?

I used to be obsessed with Civ2 when I was a whipper snapper. Is it even anywhere to buy nowadays? Will it even play on modern systems?

Wouldn't mind giving it a bash again for old times sake.

I got Civ3 a few years later but I couldn't get into it like 2. And that was the end of that.

nowt

I used to be obsessed with Civ2 when I was a whipper snapper. Is it even anywhere to buy nowadays? Will it even play on modern systems?

I got Civ3 a few years later but I couldn't get into it like 2. And that was the end of that.

Looks like Amazon or eBay would be your best bet.  Well, if you want to acquire it legally ;)

As for running on modern systems, this seems to be one thing that might work - https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civilization-ii-64-bit-editbox-patcher-mge-tot-also-works-on-win10-1709-fall-creators-update.622154/

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

FreeCiv is an open-source crowd-development project, runs on everything, incl. Linux and Android. Has an option to use core Civ 2 rules. Also free.

• Like 1

Polynesia and Inca have led to lots of fun playthroughs for me, so Gathering Storm will give me both of them (sorta: the Maori). I'm chuffed to bits, getting Hungary and Canada as well, two new civs that I've been wanting to see in Civ for a looong time.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Polynesia and Inca have led to lots of fun playthroughs for me, so Gathering Storm will give me both of them (sorta: the Maori). I'm chuffed to bits, getting Hungary and Canada as well, two new civs that I've been wanting to see in Civ for a looong time.

Apparently a listing of all the new civs was already leaked. The rest would be:

Mali

Sweden

Phoenicia

Ottomans

&

England-France Hybrid alt leader.

• Like 2

I'm partial to Aztec myself.

I only ever play as Rome. Sort of amusing how much content I miss out on.:lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

FreeCiv is an open-source crowd-development project, runs on everything, incl. Linux and Android. Has an option to use core Civ 2 rules. Also free.

Interesting! I shall definitely check this out when I get home.

nowt

I'm partial to Aztec myself.

I only ever play as Rome. Sort of amusing how much content I miss out on. :lol:

You should really try a civ that focuses on building tall some time.

Been a warmonger in the series for 20-ish years now, why change! :p

Apparently a listing of all the new civs was already leaked. The rest would be:

Mali

Sweden

Phoenicia

Ottomans

&

England-France Hybrid alt leader.

That's nearly a perfect lineup of added civs, if you ask me. :)

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

yeah we all remember times of Mali imperioum xD

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I'm guessing this is the last expansion (could be wrong though since Rise & Fall was sort of small...) but I really want to see the following.

The Celts,

Venice or some Italian Renaissance (not Rome) Civ. Venice could suffice, but I want to see the idea of Venice expanded further to a united Italy.

The Huns

Mexico

Tibetan Empire (or maybe Nepal for a tall mountain Civ.)

Ethiopia

Plus alt leaders for US & China would be nice.

• Like 2

Oh man, i might have to try this civ 6 when update drops.

Ive always loved the series. I got into it via colonization, which i was kind of obsessed with. Im glad it remains such a big deal.

However i am like, comically bad at all such games. I have similar relationship with heroes of might and magic. Guess i have no head for strategy. Just like moving things around map and watching story unfold.

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

Well, that goes a long way, and it's definitely half the fun playing Civ, at least for me. But the other half is coming up with long-term strategies and see them get squashed by random events and bad outcomes during pivotal moments.

• Like 1

yeah we all remember times of Mali imperioum xD

Mali had a good sized and very rich empire for multiple centuries. They certainly are a lot more of a legit Civ faction than Maori are at the very least, and I should be biased towards including the Maori.

I'm guessing this is the last expansion (could be wrong though since Rise & Fall was sort of small...) but I really want to see the following.

The Celts,

Venice or some Italian Renaissance (not Rome) Civ. Venice could suffice, but I want to see the idea of Venice expanded further to a united Italy.

The Huns

Mexico

Tibetan Empire (or maybe Nepal for a tall mountain Civ.)

Ethiopia

Plus alt leaders for US & China would be nice.

Another solid list of Civs (suggestions). Specially the first two.

sign.jpg

There is one thing about Civ VI that frustrates me even more than the crappy AI. It's something that mostly becomes apparent when you've played the game a lot. And it frustrates me to the point where I will sometimes ragequit the game.

And that is the incredibly crappy map generation system. Even when decreasing the number of civs in the game, it is all too common for the game to start you off with other civs like... *right* next to you. Now, this isn't always a terrible thing but if you play on higher difficulties, this can basically mean a game over because the AI starts with more settlers. And they can settle those cities in a way that makes it impossible for you to expand because of the loyalty system (a mechanic which I rather like otherwise). And that is of course if you survive until the AI declares war on you (because it *will* declare war on you in those situations).

It's also apparent in how the game divides up its continents (which is important as it controls luxury resources, each continent has different luxuries available). Sometimes you'll start in a location where you'll have 3 continents within easy reach. Which is a *huge* advantage because you get access to a lot of different luxuries. 

Other times, the games crams nearly every civ into the same continent, with one civ on a big landmass on its own.

Sometimes, random map scripting can be fun. But my god I really wish there was a "balanced start" option where it placed civs on the map with a reasonable distance from one another, where the continents are somewhat evenly divided and where city states don't get stuck in weird clusters.

It's not as big of a problem on King difficulty for example but if you want to play on harder difficulties it can be absolutely maddening.

The devs pride themselves on VI being the game in the series that has the most interaction with the map (districtplacement for example), so it's unfortunate that it's also easily the most random game when it comes to spawning the player on it.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I know they are working on improving aspect of map generation, they have to with the new features. No clue if it will be enough though.

One issue is that as you "solve" for how maps should be organized to both be feature rich, diverse, and fair. You run into the issue of basically generating the same maps over and over. To keep things varied, then you might sacrifice on that tuning. Since Civ VI has the must map rich features, it makes the generation ever more constrained by the games unique systems.

Very much a double edged sword.

Play Civ 2, and when you're done with scientific research victory, you can play its sequel Alpha Centauri, also one of the best games ever made. :dancing:

If you have Civ V and win a scientific victory and have Beyond Earth installed you can literally launch it from your win screen.