Help with Tank Crusader build for Path of the Damned

Hello,

I am working on a tank/off tank build and I would appreciate if you could please tell me what you think about it. I am worried it is too much defensive though. Could you please give me some input?

Race: Human (Wood/Pale Elves, Orlans, and Moon Godlikes would be quite good as well)

Class: Crusader (Fighter / Paladin)

Fighter: Unbroken

Paladin: Kind Wayfarer

MIG: 13

CON 8

DEX: 13

PER: 17

INT: 10

RES: 17

Fighter: Knockdown

Paladin: Flame of Devotion + Lay on Hands

1. Deep Faith

2. Retribution

3. Weapon and Shield

---

4. Divine Purpose (+20 RES, DEX, MIG)

5. Determination (+20 INT, PER, CON)

---

6. Weapon Specialization : Warhammer

(Last Word: https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Last_Word)

7. Uncanny Luck

8. Overbearing Guard

9. Armored Grace

10. Stoic Steel

11. Unbreakable

12: Mule Kick

13: Eternal Devotion

14: Greater Lay on Hands

15+16: Zealous Aura + Exalted Endurance

17+18: Sworn Enemy + Sworn Rival

19+20: Vigorous Defense + Refreshing Defense

21+22: Fighter Stance + Guardian Stance

23: Into the Fray (for aggro in case someone escapes)

23: Practiced Healer (?)

25: Lasting Empower (super heal?)

It will basically have 5 (6 with weapon) engagements, heals and survivability. I was thinking if I could give it a bit more offensive power, and maybe drop Mule Kick for Disciplined Strikes(?) and 24+25 for something like Confident Aim and Weapon Mastery, or Improved Critical.

Another idea I had was to drop 24+25 for Exalted Focus and Conqueror stance, so I can switch to more offensive stance depending on the situation.

I could also thinking to exchange unbroken for devoted, but this would sacrifice a lot of flexibility (eg. shield modal).

Thank you.

You definitely want to take disciplined strikes it’s a great buff, confident aim is also good. Most fighter/pally builds will have goldpact for the pally for plus 4 armour, I like kind wayfarer but only if you are dual wielding.

Your intelligence is low which will affect your buff durations which is something to think about.

I don’t know if there is a specific fight pally tank build in the forums there is a more all round version though.

I don’t think devoted would help this build much if you were dual wielding or two handed that would be different

• Like 1

Many thanks for your thoughtful response. :yes:

Frankly speaking I do not like the role-playing aspects of Goldpact paladins. On top of that, I feel that the +5 armor bonus is only lasting for a few hits, and "white flames" will cover the difference while also healing the party around you. In principle once you knockdown someone, you may switch the shield for an off-hand dagger and cast FoD.

I am also thinking whether or not intelligence is enough, but I could perhaps boost it a bit with items and training.

I will definitely take your advice and go for disciplined strikes instead of 24+25. I am thinking enabling two fighting combat styles could give greater flexibility to the character, but I am not sure what to drop.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Edited by Mysh

My first full play through was with a goldpact/unbroken moon godlike. It was full tank. Next to nothing about it was based on damage. If you build that and go in first it pulls nearly all the agro while the other 4 can get away with murder. It really makes things much easier. I wouldn't worry about moving toward damage dealing unless of course your main tank is something like that. If you have that for a main tank then you may as well focus nearly 100% on damage along with a few heals and buffs for the main tank. The ideal off tank would be a chanter/pally combo with lots of passive aoe heals. With your current stat distribution I'd move away from the tank aspect and go damage or change the stats more towards tanking and make it full tank. As it is it just falls in the middle of the two and is just ok at both rather than great. That said... PotD is still fairly doable with a full party even if they all are mediocre so if you aren't terribly concerned about min max, you should be fine. 

• Like 1

My first full play through was with a goldpact/unbroken moon godlike. It was full tank. Next to nothing about it was based on damage. If you build that and go in first it pulls nearly all the agro while the other 4 can get away with murder. It really makes things much easier. I wouldn't worry about moving toward damage dealing unless of course your main tank is something like that. If you have that for a main tank then you may as well focus nearly 100% on damage along with a few heals and buffs for the main tank. The ideal off tank would be a chanter/pally combo with lots of passive aoe heals. With your current stat distribution I'd move away from the tank aspect and go damage or change the stats more towards tanking and make it full tank. As it is it just falls in the middle of the two and is just ok at both rather than great. That said... PotD is still fairly doable with a full party even if they all are mediocre so if you aren't terribly concerned about min max, you should be fine. 

Thanks for your response.

We can certainly make it more defensive, but I feel this may be excessive or even less effective in certain situations. I am trying to find a more balanced build that has multiple roles in combat without being all-out attacker or all-out defender. The current build is about 2/3 defensive and 1/3 offensive.

Edited by Mysh
  • Like 1

Here is my crusader tank.

pale elf  (goldpact/unbroken) with 10 might, max con, 3 dex, max resolve and spread remaining points in int and perception.

weapons: any dagger with weapon model and large shield Akola's Apex Ward with hunter vigor or BoW soul bound shield or Cadhu Scalth or Shining Bulwark(my favorite because you can get it early and extra armor really reduces your stress level and pause frequency)

armor: Patinated Plate (same reason as shining bulwark and even the location is close, less loading time for me was really sweet). Also, try to throw your crusader in to start the fight and have your remaining part stealth, so you can stealthily full buff your entire party before rushing in and not worry about your tank dying. 

the only essential talent you need to take is defender stand and pally's armor aura, throw the rest of the talent into anything defensive.

Thats all. I start every fight by throwing in my crusader to anchor all melee enemies, fully buff my entire party with priest buffs, then summon a couple minions to distract enemies AI before full party rush in to mow everything down while my crusader is being focus. 

Only down side is my crusader doesnt do much damage. But since he already locks down all enemies with his engagement, armor and HP, my other dps can go on full offensive stats.

• Like 1