Connect Steam Account - What does it entail?

Doing a fresh run of PoE2, and I'm looking at the Scavenger hunt codes and the requirement to link my Steam account to my Obsidian account.

What exactly does this connection entail? I cant seem to find any information about what it "does", what it's purpose is (except to get the codes), or how it will affect my Steam and Obsidian accounts.

Suffice to say, I'm wary of running around connecting accounts at a lark, especially when the consequences aren't really spelled out. Anyone got somewhere I can get some more info on this?

Edit:

It seems perhaps I was unclear in my question.

I know what Steam is.

I have Steam.

I have PoE2 on Steam.

I know that the purpose of connecting my Steam account to my Obsidian account is for the codes to be applied to my Steam account as DLC.

My questions are:

- What impact will this linking have on my Steam account? And on my Obsidian account?

- Will it transfer/make available Steam account info/activity to my Obsidian account, and/or vice versa?

- Can I disconnect the accounts afterwards?

- Will they overwrite each others logins? E.g. must I log in to Obsidian forums/account with my Steam credentials?

Questions such as these ought to be answered, and easily available, on the Scavanger Hunt account connection page. The only "information" is a Wall of Legal Text, which s far as I can tell doesn't cover anything regarding the connection itself. A basic FAQ regarding this would be nice.

And also, is there a special reason these codes aren't available as a "normal" DLC code, which can be redeemed via Games > Activate a product on Steam? It seems to me that the result is essentially the same, only you don't have to do the "account linking" part.

Edited by Oter2k

Linux

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I downloaded PoE2 through Steam, which is where I get most of my games. I can start PoE2 with the game shortcut or from Steam. Steam is a useful game server because it will automatically install any patches or updates without you having to do anything, you also get an online backup at Steam so you don't lose all your game saves if something terrible happens plus if you buy the game through Steam it knows you did that so a reinstall is free (with all saved games). You can also get a discount sometimes when buying a game. How you get it after the fact I am not sure of. I would suggest installing the Steam software and create an account, then possibly have it search your computer for games that it knows about.

Someone here probably knows how.

Alternatively you can try this small mod. It works for gog, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work for Steam:

I got tired of waiting for these items on GOG so I made it myself. If you dig around in the gamedata files you can add any item you wish for the start of your game or an existing game.

Instructions.

1. Extract the zip to \Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire\PillarsOfEternityII_Data\exported\design\gamedata

2. The items will be in your inventory/ship stash.

3. Enjoy.

Here is the file to get your items. https://www.dropbox...._items.zip?dl=0

Alternatively you can try this small mod. It works for gog, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work for Steam:

I got tired of waiting for these items on GOG so I made it myself. If you dig around in the gamedata files you can add any item you wish for the start of your game or an existing game.

Instructions.

1. Extract the zip to \Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire\PillarsOfEternityII_Data\exported\design\gamedata

2. The items will be in your inventory/ship stash.

3. Enjoy.

Here is the file to get your items. https://www.dropbox...._items.zip?dl=0

Thanks! Strange to keep this gated behind linking your Steam account. (I know, I can get them via a Blessing of Berath (Well-traveled Supplier), but still.)

The download link didn't translate correctly through the quotation (at least for me), but I found the link from the original post through search (for reference for anyone who might find their way here with the same question):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3koid0jz7id32us/Scavhunt_items.zip?dl=0

• Like 1

Linux

¯\_(ツ)_/¯