How intrinsic to the story is Xoti and her quest?

I cannot stand Xoti.  She is a naive, flirty, obnoxious zealot twit.  But, having said that, would I be missing out on the main story being fleshed out if I leave her on the boat?  For example, the digsite at the start of the game doesn't end differently with Xoti in the party per se,  but there's extra commentary  w/ Xoti along. Is there an abundance of this commentary that works in conjunction with the main quest?

I've restarted a few times now, and the plan was to go with Aloth, Tekehu, Maia, Pallegina.

• Like 1

No single companion or sidekick is essential to understanding the plot, or getting the most out of the game.  Xoti chimes in during parts of quests, but so do your other companions (and sidekicks during the DLC sections of the game).  The only unique thing Xoti can add that I can think of is that when you talk to her she will discuss her dreams, which seem to be prophetic, but those dreams are ambiguous enough to not tie down the writers for the sequel.  

Ok, yeah, the one time she mentioned her dreams to me thus far they seemed pretty derivative from a storytelling standpoint, so I'm definitely not feeling any sense of loss over that.  My hangup was whether she would be a Durance-level companion in terms of plot exposition - or anywhere close to it.

Someone on the forums get their data mine on and apparently tekehu's the chattiest companion. Even so, none of them are vital.

If u find any are abrasive just drop em without regret chief.

If ur worried about missing out on content during any quests, keep an eye on the 'recommended companion' heading in the quest log. Even then, i wouldnt feel obliged to follow its direction.

• Like 1

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

Pretty much as the above. She does provide an interesting insight into “an aspect” of Eothas, but if she annoys to the point of making your play through unenjoyable, feel free swapping her for someone else. However, if you don’t have her with you regularly her personal quests can be annoying as it requires interactions with souls and can’t be completed on a whim.

For all it’s worth: I quite disliked her as well, but she ended up being my favourite Deadfire companion, with what I see as a strongest personal quest, good tie to main storyline, a reason to join you. Hell, even her romance is something that fits her character.

I haven't gotten that far in the game, but I totally expect that at one point Durance will appear and call her a "flammable trader in flesh" in his own peculiar way.

Nah, Durance is referenced once at the beginning of the game, I believe. Zero appearences, even in a segment of one of the DLCs where he could have very well make one.

Seraphen is usually the companion I drop after his quest is done but I just bought the expensive weapon at the gunsmith's shop in the Citadel so I will see what happens this time. I don't mind Xoti, her banter and flirting is amusing.