I think its viable, but I think pure druid or multiclass is the way to go on him and is much more powerful. His druid subclass is pretty nifty.

His chanter subclass removes summons. I dont like summons, but only for illogical reasons. So thats quite a big penalty for what a chanter brings to the field.

I really like him as a multiclass, as the chanter side means he never runs out of spells. There is a great build in the build thread specifically for him in this regard.

If you want to do it anyway though, for fun, I'm sure it can be done! Whats the rest of your party? And what difficulty are you on?

I don't know if I look at a whole playthrough. You get some nice Druid Spells as Invocations, combined with ever refreshing resources. With Sasha's Singing Scimitar you can Empower an invocation for free (basically), get phrases back - and stuff like Tornado and Eld Nary scale very well with Power Levels and thus Empower. And you get "endless" Avenging Storm.

Foe-only Chillfog is really nice though.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I think it is rather weak.

The benefit of his chanter subclass is a bunch of free invocations - which is great as part of a multiclass! You can avoid investing in invocations at all and have a great variety of druid spells and passives. Also, the downside of losing access to summoning invocations is mitigated by the watershaper's summons. You can only have one active summon per character anyway, and while chanter summons are some of the best in the game Watery Double is no slouch.

As a single class chanter Tekehu gets a bunch of free spells that aren't necessarily better than what would otherwise be available. For instance gaining Chain Lightning isn't very exciting since you can take and upgrade Winds of Eld Nary, which is a cold damage version of the same spell. It does save you a bunch of points on level up, though I'm not sure what you are going to spend them on; single class characters can take everything they want anyway, generally. Plus losing out on the summons here is a big penalty.

Basically Stormspeaker is a clear downgrade to base chanter as a single class, but a strong sidegrade in a multiclass that works really well when multiclassed with a spellcaster - like druid!

• Like 1

I just did a full playthrough on PotD with him as pure Chanter. While it was viable, I'd not recommend it. Pure Druid or multiclass are much better.

I liked the idea of Stormspeaker, but unfortunately it's not worth it imo. The only subclass invocation I ever used was the tornado one in the last power tier. But most of the invocations (would've been summons...if he had any) were the healing, paralyze, frighten, -2 AR and +3 pen ones.

• 1 year later...

Sorry for excavating this thread, but I just had to say the obvious that it's all about party composition. I'm currently doing a playthrough with pure Stormspeaker Tekehu dual-wielding in melee (obviously off the tank which is Eder) specced for speed. I don't need a druid in the backline because I have Aloth there taking care of CC and quite importantly Combusting Wounds... which will synergize nicely with Tekehu (and with my main who dual-wields blunderbuss).

Chanters are THE best buffers who can oporate from the frontline, because their phrases are passive, most invocations are near-instant, and they cover many more situations than paladins. Summons just aren't needed for this philosophy, they are good for other builds.

By the way Aloth is going to put the Watershaper's Focus to good use once he gets Freezing Pillar.

Edited by Daniel Oz

Long after this thread emerged I did a playthrough with a SC Stormspeaker Tekehu with dual mortars, aiming for Avenging Storm + Sure-Handed Ila. Since Blinding Smoke from Hand Mortar will trigger Avenging Storm (although not doing damage by itself, it just disorients enemies) and Fire in the Hole has an innate jump with Chain Shot, once you get Avenging Storm hell breaks loose. You can empower with Sasha's Singing Scimitar and then switch to dual mortars or just use Hand Mortar and keep Sasha's in the offhand (same shooting speed basically and you don't have Full Attacks anyway). I used Deltro's Cage to boost the PLs even further. It's a lot of fun - even though a SC Chanter isn't THE most awesome gun user. Unfortunately you can't use Mith Fyr with Tekehu (I mean you can but it will get quenched by his racial passive all the time). But Sure-Handed Ila is also okay. 

SC Druid would also be able to do this but he would lack the chant and he's only have 2 Avenging Storms per encounter and couldn't empower it in every encounter without lots of resting.   

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods