Kana Rua Duration of Phrases

I just aquired/met Kana Rua and trying to figure out chanting.  The chants are having shorter duration from base even though Kana has high intelligence.  Is this because of Brisk Recitation?  I thought BR would be time to execute chant?  But not stop the duration?  Maybe I don't understand the mechanics.

Brisk Recitation only kicks in from lvl 4 and starts with -10% chanting time but doesn't touch linger time.

Nothing else affects chanting time and INT influences linger time.

That should be it. What doesn't work?

Sometimes you need to change the name of the composed chants in your book and re-activate them to clear a hickup of the chanting mechanics.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Brisk Recitation only kicks in from lvl 4 and starts with -10% chanting time but doesn't touch linger time.

Sometimes you need to change the name of the composed chants in your book and re-activate them to clear a hickup of the chanting mechanics.

How do you change the name?  I noticed it already had a name (I have option to pick leveling of charcter after level 1).  And then I monkeyed with the chants to put them in order how I want.  Now they are chants A and B and they are slightly different but I couldn't see how to name them.

Edit: and I will take a picture of what I mean by a reduced duration from base.  It's a different statistic than the 'linger' though.  That I remember.

Edit 2 (avoid double posting);

Ok I see how to name them now.  So got that figured out.

So my concern still is that say for "At the sight of their comrades, their hearts grow bold".  That chant has a base duration of 4.0 seconds and a base linger of 2.0 seconds.  That's 'base'.  But Kana has 3.6 seconds duration (so shorter), and 2.8 linger (so longer).  Kana's intelligence right now is 18 so 40% more duration.  2.0 x 40% = 2.8 linger.  So it appears intelligence is modifying the linger.  Also Kana is level 5.  The 'base' is 10% shorter (4.0 x 10% = .4 seconds shorter consistent with 3.6 duration).  So doesn't look like intelligence is modifying duration.  Might is 16 (18% damage) so doesn't look right.  Constitution is 12 and that is 10% but would be odd if that is the culprit.*  Brisk Recitation is -10% phrase recitation time.  So maybe 'duration' is the same statitic as 'phrase recitation'?

*note: I tried eating pearlwood chicken and no effect on chanting 'duration' so constitution isn't affecting that stat.

Edited by claudius

You

How do you change the name?  I noticed it already had a name (I have option to pick leveling of charcter after level 1).  And then I monkeyed with the chants to put them in order how I want.  Now they are chants A and B and they are slightly different but I couldn't see how to name them.

Edit: and I will take a picture of what I mean by a reduced duration from base.  It's a different statistic than the 'linger' though.  That I remember.

Edit 2 (avoid double posting);

Ok I see how to name them now.  So got that figured out.

So my concern still is that say for "At the sight of their comrades, their hearts grow bold".  That chant has a base duration of 4.0 seconds and a base linger of 2.0 seconds.  That's 'base'.  But Kana has 3.6 seconds duration (so shorter), and 2.8 linger (so longer).  Kana's intelligence right now is 18 so 40% more duration.  2.0 x 40% = 2.8 linger.  So it appears intelligence is modifying the linger.  Also Kana is level 5.  The 'base' is 10% shorter (4.0 x 10% = .4 seconds shorter consistent with 3.6 duration).  So doesn't look like intelligence is modifying duration.  Might is 16 (18% damage) so doesn't look right.  Constitution is 12 and that is 10% but would be odd if that is the culprit.*  Brisk Recitation is -10% phrase recitation time.  So maybe 'duration' is the same statitic as 'phrase recitation'?

*note: I tried eating pearlwood chicken and no effect on chanting 'duration' so constitution isn't affecting that stat.

You've got that right. The way chanters work, they build up phrases to cast invocations. You want to be able to build up phrases as quickly as possible (generally speaking) to cast more invocations. That's why lower duration is a good thing, and that's what Brisk Recitation does for you as you level up - all of your phrases will take less time to recite. The linger is pure bonus, with the effect of the chant continuing while you move on to recite a new phrase, and INT increases the length like you're noticing. 

If you're wanting a phrase effect to stay on, I recommend just chanting one phrase. You can set up a chant to be just one phrase, and your chanter will repeat it over and over. That wastes the linger for most phrases (because you'll be starting the same chant over), but it ensures that you have the effect on all the time. 

There are some exceptions here, like The Dragon Thrashed, which stacks up the damage each time you chant it, making single phrase the highest damage way to chant it. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion of focusing the chants a little more.  Here is my setup so far at level 5.

Normal Chant: 1 movement/reflex 2 fortitude/will. :repeat:

Kill Mage Chant: 1 Reduce Concentration of enemies :repeat;

Using lots of Ranged: 1 Increased ranged attack recharge: repeat

Edited by claudius

If I recall Might was the stat that affects the speed of chants, not intelligence.

No, not at all. Nothing changes the speed of chants except Brisk Recitation. INT affects linger time.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods