It feels like he is the only boss in game that simply crushes players with pure stats, huge damage spike, interruption on hit, AOE, high defense, self sustain. 

I have been shooting at it with the lightening bow for 10 mins and its status is still "Healthy".... How do people even kill it.

my comb is:

crusader(goldpact/unbroken), war caller(unbroken/ that guy sings really quick), holy slayer(kindwayfarer/trickster), celebrant and shepherd(Bleakwalker/sharpshooter). Only my watcher crusader can sustain hits with pure defense build on POTD.

Edited by little rogue

What is his self sustain? I only saw that he seemed to heal from fire damage.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

What is his self sustain? I only saw that he seemed to heal from fire damage.

yeah, because he throws delayed fireballs like it does not cost spell slot and the explosion triggers self heals, he just heals himself quicker than I shoot him I think. Could be my brain tricking me though, because I have never seen his status drop to Hurt.

• Like 1

Oh, I fought him for like ten minutes and managed to shave off like 10% of his health. I didn't notice him healing from his own nukes (or otherwise) in that time.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Using the right gear can make this battle much more doable, or at least it did for the relatively unoptimized party I used (single class wizard, swashbuckler Eder, priest Xoti, cipher Serafen, and herald Pallegina).  

Equip one character who is well suited to keep Dorudugan engaged.  Either increase the character's defenses as much as possible, or boost their armor and damage reduction as much as possible (Cadhu Scalth upgraded with Luminous Harmony) works for this.  I preferred increased armor and damage reduction, because I equipped the Jester's Hat (from the Deck of Many Things DLC) on the character I used to engage Dorudugan (Eder).  The Jester's Hat is a guaranteed debuff of -10 to all defenses to Dorudugan (and anyone else in the aura, including the user of the item).  I also equipped Eder with the Blackened Plate (-1 Armor aura to help reduce Dorudugan's armor across the board), Revku's Scorched Cloak (so Eder could also heal from all of Dorudugan's fire attacks), Finality's Claim (fully upgraded to automatically reduce Dorudugan's speed by 6%), and the Animancer's Saber (raw damage to ignore Dorudugan's armor, although I am sure I could have figured out something more optimal to use).  Be sure to pack some Luminous Adra potions as well, as your front-line character will almost certainly get knocked out a few times.  

I had the other four characters hitting Dorudugan from range, while having Pallegina use summons (Animated Weapons) to support Eder up close.  From there, it was just using whatever buffs or offensive abilities that worked while moving the ranged characters out of the path of Dorudugan's fire attacks.  Equipping items that provide engagement immunity or pull immunity (Upright Captain's Boots) also help when Dorudugan eventually uses his pull ability, although having access to the Nimble inspiration also works.  

Face tanked it with a full party of fighter-casters... Inquisitor, Battlemage, Spell blade, Arcane knight, and Contemplative

Basic strategy: Stay in a tight formation for efficient healing - tough to retreat as a group with fireballs and fire surfaces, but managed zero deaths.  Select the right weapons... basically no slashing. I never bothered to debuff him or cast any spells other than defensive buffs for team (+deflection, +armor, and healing).

Key skills: Soul Annihilation and modal for Estoc

Key items: any +Fire Armor (rings and some armor), passive healing (shields), and passive debuff (Blackened Plate)

Honorable mention Skills: Gouging Strike (1x start) and Wall of Many Colors (2x or 3x towards the end, once near death), and Hastening Exhortation (to allow quick mobility for people who can't cast Alacrity)

Scrolls and potions: healing (critical) and accuracy (helpful) 

Note: I did not cast any offensive spells, other than Wall of Many Colors

If you stand very close he will hit himself with fire - which will heal him. Only a fraction of the damage though (like Rekvu's Scorched Cloak or Flame Naga's passive). The fire damage will get turned into 10% healing if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

If you stand very close he will hit himself with fire - which will heal him. Only a fraction of the damage though (like Rekvu's Scorched Cloak or Flame Naga's passive). The fire damage will get turned into 10% healing if I'm not mistaken.

With 5 people hammering on the colossus, it was a fair trade-off for any fireballs that fell close.  The fireballs were probably on a 2-3 minute timer (not accurate, just recollection), since we definitely had a lot of team to deliver a beating between fireball salvos.  Also, it made healing way more efficient having everyone in range to benefit from a single heal.

Most of the time, only 1 or 2 fireballs the fell near the colossus, regardless of the fact that the entire team was in melee range.  There were even some times where the fireballs all landed far away (whole team in melee range), but this happened only when we were just to the right of center of the map (if there is any correlation with positioning... it could be just luck of the draw).

He heals fully 100% damage gets converted to healing.

• Like 1

Boe is talking about Rekvu's. You get healed 10% of fire damage rather than get damaged by it by using the cloak. He isn't talking about Dorudugan's passive. 

Wondering if this can be done by Tactician/Bloodmage maybe using:

1) Dexterious Alacrity of Motion (to run fast)

2) Chillfog because I think he can be flanked so you get Brilliant

3) Those boots from BoW that leave hobble trail / dmg

4) Essence Interrupter, Revku cloak, and other already-demonstrated gear tips ...

Issue is probably it would take *forever* if you can stay alive. 

4) Essence Interrupter, Revku cloak, and other already-demonstrated gear tips ...

it has 7600 hp

higher than any other in the game

feels like forever and atleast 20 minutes

Edited by uuuhhii

it has 7600 hp

higher than any other in the game

feels like forever and atleast 20 minutes

Obviously they don't make the right decision when creating these bosses.

Fun to beat >> hard to beat imo. 7600hp is too much to have fun without some trick pony.

You won't be able to affect him with chilfog as he has sky high fortitude. You want spells that target reflex/deflection but even then it will miss a lot. He has immunity to mind afflictions.

He can't be interrupted and as he has resistance to bodily afflictions (afflictions get put a tier below) so hobble would go to none. He is also immune to interruption attacks. 

TLDR: He is a walking bloated stat machine. You won't be able to facetank him. So yeah, you need to take inspiration from Kaylon's and use summons to endlessly die to Dorudugan while you pelt him from afar. 

You won't be able to affect him with chilfog as he has sky high fortitude. You want spells that target reflex/deflection but even then it will miss a lot. He has immunity to mind afflictions.

He can't be interrupted and as he has resistance to bodily afflictions (afflictions get put a tier below) so hobble would go to none. He is also immune to interruption attacks. 

TLDR: He is a walking bloated stat machine. You won't be able to facetank him. So yeah, you need to take inspiration from Kaylon's and use summons to endlessly die to Dorudugan while you pelt him from afar. 

It's melee attack will reduce your max hp if I remember correctly.

Posting this from my other thread. I got a build that can 2v1 Dorudugan easily. It can also solo Dorudugan for a respectably long time but it will still die in the end.

The most success I've had to facetanking Dorudugan is bloodmage/nalpazca monk (sage). 205 deflection + blade turning (redirects Dordugan's attacks back to him) + enduring dance (even blood sacrifice and dordugan's attacks are not enough to refill the wounds to reliably keep using blade turning)

The problem with this is you will last LOOOONG and deal 1 bar of dordugan's HP  (just off of the redirected attacks) but you will still die in the end. His cleave attack goes through 205 deflection like butter as well as his cleave attack for some stupid reason does not get redirected to him. His cleave attack does ALOT too even with 20 armor. 

However, if you have a herald as a 2nd character it is able to heal all the damage sustained by my blood mage deflection monk build. So you can 2v1 Dorudugan but not solo.

Edited by giftmefood
  • Like 1

Oh wow. I just did a quick test with him and obviously didn't notice. I just thought they simply copy-pasted that ability. :) Which is 10%.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I did kill it solo as tactitian/bloodmage. But prepare for 1 hour fight :).

• Like 1

can you post your build? what abilities do you use and also how will you gain flank on him to gain brilliant? (effigys? phantom mage skill?). Also do summons count as allies so you don't get the penalty from tactician?

Edited by giftmefood

can you post your build? what abilities do you use and also how will you gain flank on him to gain brilliant? (effigys? phantom mage skill?). Also do summons count as allies so you don't get the penalty from tactician?

Summons do count as allies and you can spawn your phantasm behind the mob (close) to get it to engage and to flank, in general.  No idea about the megaboss tho.

1) My standard spec was full spell focus build, but for this boss i respeced to melee damage, took more warrior tallents. For damage i was using penetrating strike

2) For weapon i used a crush weapon, best i cound find was the Chromoprismatic Quarterstaff from Nemnok. Mainly for high damage, but also the bonus speed and damage reduction were handy (maxed out metamagic). I was a bit worried by the loss of deflection, but with Arcane veil i had 150 deflection, which was good enough.

3) I used Rekvus Cloak to not take firedamage (that one is a nobrainer) and after first try where i died on 5% because of interupts i used also the helm, it made it much easier.

4) This is with no rest character, i have full world buffs. On vessels i had 150 accuracy which made it very easy to hit this boss. 

5) General strategy

a) prebuff lengraths safeguard and pull with draining wall

b) place mauras tentacles to flank the boss and gain brilliant - keep recasting them when they die, sometimes better to wait if there is AOE coming, because they always die. They dont damage the boss, so they never agro, they only die from AOE

c) buff myself with everything immaginable. Top priority is unbending for healing, disciplined strikes for accuracy, all various mage buffs including arcane veil, delateriuos alacrity, lengraths, merciless gaze, also i used potion of deftness, penetration potion, perfect strikes potion and the drug giving 15% melee damage and -5% damage taken. After that i spam draining wall as much as possible. Its important to constantly have at least 2-3 walls up, more the better, you need to build up the buff duration early on, because later the boss will do more aoe etc and it will disrupt you (need to recast tentacles more).

d) then you basically alternatate penatrating strike/draining wall and cast tentacles when they die.

e) It took me over 1 hour to kill the boss, because half of the time you are casting the walls to keep your buffs going and you are not hitting him. Also the boss heals from the aoe damage he does. In general the staff hits were for 50-90 damage each.

f) If you dont let your buffs fall of, unbending scales up constantly and it will heal 200+ hp per hit, making you basically unkillable. Only danger is when the boss reduces your HP by many cleave hits. I am not sure how exactly it works, but at one point i got down to 163 max HP (originally 384), there i was a bit scared of being oneshot, but then he missed a cleave or two and my HP went back up.

• Like 3