Hello,

I'm still relatively new to the game and have severe restartitis...

Most of the stuff I tried just didn't click with me one way or another.

I finished PoE1 multiple times on PotD but this time I have a hard time.

I'm honestly looking for something that is:

- melee

- can take a hit (doesn't have to be a super tank)

- has lots of abilities

- decent damage (doesn't have to be a nuker or top dps, just good damage)

I'm leaning towards trickster since it alone fills almost all of the above I think but multiclass would probably better/more fun?

Or any wizard/subclass multiclassed? 

I really appreciate any and all help and if possible some minor guidelines.

PS: I checked most of the builds in the Build thread and it seems most stuff has either been nerfed/changed or never got much feedback to begin with and exist since 1.x. I really appreciate all the work that people put into it though.

Edited by Rimiu

Sage - Shattered Pillar/No subclass wizard

Use self-buffs and summoned weapon Citzal's spirit lance. Just use fists until you get high enough level to cast it. Llengrath's grimoire for sale in Wizard shop in Periki's Overlook.

Good access to various monk abilities, wizard spells for when you need them, can off-tank, DPS, a bit of CC. Lots to do, and lots of ways to respec if needed.

• Like 1

Use self-buffs and summoned weapon Citzal's spirit lance. Just use fists until you get high enough level to cast it. Llengrath's grimoire for sale in Wizard shop in Periki's Overlook.

Good access to various monk abilities, wizard spells for when you need them, can off-tank, DPS, a bit of CC. Lots to do, and lots of ways to respec if needed.

This looks good on the first view but then again Llengrath's Grimoire has mostly only spells for self buffing. So it ends up just being a buff self, summon spear and auto attack build or am I wrong and miss something?

Herald.  Pal/Chant.   Damage comes from summons and chants.  Very noob friendly.  Always useful.  Great from the very beginning when the party is weak and pathetic.  

You might consider a Paladin/Trickster multiclass. 

Very good offense, fantastic defense, lots of abilities (with two classes to get abilities from), and party-friendly with the Paladin aura. 

Paladin is the only class that I try to avoid. Way too passive (almost no active skills) and it forces me into the subclass RP or take penalties for no reason.

I'm really grateful for all the replies so far and I hope I don't look too ungrateful with my replies. 

Edited by Rimiu

Trickster / Beguiler is in my opinion a very fun build.

- Melee (on the upper end of DPS),

- High Defensive potential from illusion spells, and you might add Borrowed Instinct to stack even more (active) defenses,

- A lot of abilities, very active character,

- Very open building possibilities (you don't have to select abilities from every Cipher PL to spend your focus pool, and you already have a lots of guile-spender, so feel free to select what you like, and respec if necessary),

- Subclasses are Thematically consistent and fit very well a tricky pirate.

Edited by Elric Galad
  • Like 2

This looks good on the first view but then again Llengrath's Grimoire has mostly only spells for self buffing. So it ends up just being a buff self, summon spear and auto attack build or am I wrong and miss something?

Depends on how you develop the character. It can be specced that way or you can select other spells as you level up and use the spells in the grimoire to free up the points so you don't have to select the buffing spells from the tree.

There are also some useful abilities such as Stunning Blow, Force of Anguish and Skyward kick from the Monk tree which give you a nice bit of damage and CC using the AoE from the lance.

Combine with Bounding Boots to get Leap from the Barbarian tree to make positioning an absolute dream. It's fun and very flexible. You can respec to a caster build using the defensive abilities from the monk tree, or as a self-buffing ninja lancer. You can also use the ranged fist attacks ability with it. Several options really.

Another excellent variant is to use Spider Silk Robes and Helm of The Grotto Deep, then you can inflict hilariously efficient poison damage using the monk's combat prowess combined with the wizard's self-buff.

It's a Jack of all trades - the only thing it lacks is healing.

• Like 1

- High Defensive potential from illusion spells, and you might add Borrowed Instinct to stack even more (active) defenses,

- Very open building possibilities (you don't have to select abilities from every Cipher PL to spend your focus pool, and you already have a lots of guile-spender, so feel free to select what you like, and respec if necessary),

I would second this. On my current play-thru I have a custom companion that is a Mindstalker (Trickster/Psyblade). Like Elric said, good dps, good defense from trickster and cipher abilities add replenishing debuffs/buffs. Lot's of ways to play when managing or I can simply run her off of AI utilizing rogue DPS strikes/cipher debuffs and she does just fine. I also did a full play-thru with a Mindstalker main(Assassin/No Subclass) which I really enjoyed but doesn't fit your criteria b/c too squishy.    

• Like 1

If no Paladin, then any of the bloodmage variants are great.  Llengrath's safeguard provides +5 armor and +20 defense, last 60 seconds (90+ seconds with high int) and as a bloodmage you never run out of casts.  

Combine bloodmage with a barb or a streetfighter and it's a good frontliner.  

Edited by Marigoldran
  • Like 1

I would second this. On my current play-thru I have a custom companion that is a Mindstalker (Trickster/Psyblade). Like Elric said, good dps, good defense from trickster and cipher abilities add replenishing debuffs/buffs. Lot's of ways to play when managing or I can simply run her off of AI utilizing rogue DPS strikes/cipher debuffs and she does just fine. I also did a full play-thru with a Mindstalker main(Assassin/No Subclass) which I really enjoyed but doesn't fit your criteria b/c too squishy.    

This sounds very intriguing. Sadly I'm not really knowledgable on gear opportunities and which skills work together well. It seems like lots of old stuff doesn't work as ot used to be, comming from PoE1.

Depends on how you develop the character. It can be specced that way or you can select other spells as you level up and use the spells in the grimoire to free up the points so you don't have to select the buffing spells from the tree.

There are also some useful abilities such as Stunning Blow, Force of Anguish and Skyward kick from the Monk tree which give you a nice bit of damage and CC using the AoE from the lance.

Combine with Bounding Boots to get Leap from the Barbarian tree to make positioning an absolute dream. It's fun and very flexible. You can respec to a caster build using the defensive abilities from the monk tree, or as a self-buffing ninja lancer. You can also use the ranged fist attacks ability with it. Several options really.

Another excellent variant is to use Spider Silk Robes and Helm of The Grotto Deep, then you can inflict hilariously efficient poison damage using the monk's combat prowess combined with the wizard's self-buff.

It's a Jack of all trades - the only thing it lacks is healing.

I think I will keep this in mind as well though I'm not really keen on using 1 spell gimmicks. In this case "abusing" the Lance.

If no Paladin, then any of the bloodmage variants are great.  Llengrath's safeguard provides +5 armor and +20 defense, last 60 seconds (90+ seconds with high int) and as a bloodmage you never run out of casts.  

Combine bloodmage with a barb or a streetfighter and it's a good frontliner.  

After reading all the relevant Threads I'm really REALLY interested in Tactician/Blood Mage. But I'm not sure if tactician is counterproductive in a group setting and how to actually deal damage with that class as well as what gear to pick. Ideally I would like to dual wield or 2H but I guess it would be too fragile then?

- melee

- can take a hit (doesn't have to be a super tank)

- has lots of abilities

- decent damage (doesn't have to be a nuker or top dps, just good damage)

Sounds like Monk. Or Brute.

I'm a huge fan of monks but isn't it mainly spamming 1-2 spells endgame?

Thank you all so much again.

Trickster/Cipher(unsure which sublass)

and

Tactician?/Blood Mage 

are really interesting for me right now. The latter even more. But I don't know how to make it actually deal decent damage from the front lines and if Tactician even works in group play.

Edited by Rimiu

Blood mage/Monk in a group.  Tactician is pointless in group play because the whole point of tactician is to regenerate resources and that's not as important in a group. 

Blood Mage and Monk synergizes really well.  The Monk side provides armor, con, swiftness and Int.  The Blood mage side provides buffs, debuffs, and wounds.   

Edited by Marigoldran
  • Like 1

Blood mage/Monk in a group.  Tactician is pointless in group play because the whole point of tactician is to regenerate resources and that's not as important in a group. 

Blood Mage and Monk synergizes really well.  The Monk side provides armor, con, swiftness and Int.  The Blood mage side provides buffs, debuffs, and wounds.   

I know monk is strong but I'm really digging the Battle-mage style. Is it really no good?

Edited by Rimiu

Sure it's good.

Especially Battlemage with Citzal's Spirit Lance - aside from subclasses.

The AoE works with Mule Kick and even better: Clear Out. That's basically AoE*AoE (exponential dmg growth the more enemies you hit). Try to summon Lance, lure enemies to a spot with Dazzling Lights and open fight with Clear Out. If you manage to hit 5 enemies it's generating 5*5 = 25 attack rolls. And if you have Cleaving Stance active and kill an enemy...

Refreshing Defense + Wizards self buffs make you extremely tanky for some time. Just note that Refreshing Defense stacks with Veil or Mirrored Image, but not Llengrath's Safeguard (the raised defense part).

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Sure it's good.

The AoE works with Mule Kick and even better: Clear Out. That's basically AoE*AoE (exponential dmg growth the more enemies you hit). Try to summon Lance, lure enemies to a spot with Dazzling Lights and open fight with Clear Out. If you manage to hit 5 enemies it's generating 5*5 = 25 attack rolls. And if you have Cleaving Stance active and kill an enemy...

Refreshing Defense + Wizards self buffs make you extremely tanky for some time. Just note that Refreshing Defense stacks with Veil or Mirrored Image, but not Llengrath's Safeguard (the raised defense part).

I feel like there is a conspiracy going on at this point of people that want me to play a Citzal's build lol.

• Like 1

Sure it's good.

I feel like there is a conspiracy going on at this point of people that want me to play a Citzal's build lol.

Nah, just happens to be a rather powerful build. Right up there with single class monks or heralds.  :deadhorse:   :devil:

• Like 2

"As the murderhobo mantra goes: 'If you can't kill it, steal it.'" - Prince of Lies

Besides Citzal's it's also good because of either Disciplined Strikes (more crits) or Tactical Barrage (+5 INT,+1Power Level) with spells and the combined defenses (Refreshing Defense + self buffs from Wiz). Removes the squishyness without gimping the spellpower too much.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

RE: Paladin. While I understand where you're coming from, you really can just ignore all those dispositions. Basically, all you lose for not being a devout paladin is a few points of defense, or slightly more if you decide to invest 1 of your very valuable skillpoints.

You may refer to the values here:

Faith and Conviction: The base effect is +8 all defenses, and the scaling effect is +.9 all defenses. Thanks to inversions, the basic range of defense bonuses you get from being a terrible paladin to a really devout one is [8.2, 10] with a base of 8.9 with neutral reputations.

Deep Faith: The base effect is +10 all defenses, and the scaling effect is +2.25 all defenses. Thanks to inversions, the defense bonus ranges from [10.6, 15].

The source of this information is from here:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/227477-pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire/faqs/76599/paladin

So what I'm currently doing is playing a really Benevolent Bleakwalker (because their FOD is just much better than others for my build) and not taking the Deep Faith skill.

• Like 1

Another combo of blood mage that's working for me is blood mage/ ancient. Stat distribution 14, 18, 14, 13, 13, 3 on a dwarf (fill in the blank on race.) It's early on and I did not console it in to work out the details, but so far so good. It has a lot of health and practically limitless spells and spell options. I'm focusing strongly on picking up aoe dots, with some other essentials mixed in.

Along with that I grabbed a hireling that is probably going to outpace the main in damage. trickster / arcane archer with 12, 12, 17, 18, 10, 6 on a wood elf. I took the essence interrupter. Any weapon without a penalty probably works. The pistol with single weapon is probably as good if not better. The object was to pump as many shots out as possible that hit every time while not completely sacrificing damage. I grabbed the bear and buffed it for some alternate face tanking for the start of each fight.  I plan on taking both classes movement abilities. Add that in with the control aspect of both and wow it's a lot of damage and almost untouchable. 

Both of course are party animals on the path of the damned and not misanthropic soloists. Neither (of course) fit the bill melee, but the blood mage could and both are what I would consider nukers. I'm just throwing some alternative ideas out there.

Edited by djinnxy
  • Like 1