I'm returning to this game after putting it down shortly after launch and I'm trying to decide on a build for my MC. I know I want to play a barbarian(either zerker or fury shaper) because I love their ability to stack action speed bonuses. I just can't decide which class to multiclass with. I want to play a front line melee build with maybe some hybrid casting capability. Right now I'm looking at fanatic, howler, warlock, and witch. Brute and maurader look strong but I think I want to avoid those since I will have eder as a swashbuckler and don't want to over lap classes. Just looking for some opinions on which classes and subclasses synergize well. Thanks.

Berserker/Paladin (especially Goldpact) is a solid choice.

At some point a paladin's passive can make you immune to Berserker's Confusion without the need for items, party members' buffs or consumables.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I went Devoted for a while... But I ended up finding the weapon focus a bit limiting. Also switched over to Fanatic, with goldpact as I am a gold honoring/hungry Dwarf... And I am enjoying it much more so far. I enjoy the flavour of a Berserker with Sworn Enemy also... Calling out a foe to challenge.

Berzeker/ Druid (any) is IMHO a good spellsword build for a barbarian :

- Frenzy for increased spellcasting speed

- Bloodlust/Bloodthrist for even more spellcasting speed on kills. And Druids tend to get a lots of damage spells, so you're likely to get some kills.

- Tenacious for extra Penetration

- Lion's Sprint for instant +15 Acc for next spell and even more spellcasting speed for a short time

- Spiritshift's high AR without recovery penalty is nice to stack AR with Hardy and Thick Skin even if you don't use it for attacking

- Auto-attack comes mostly from Barbarian side, but Spiritshift claw can help a bit, especially cat's 

Berserker/Paladin (especially Goldpact) is a solid choice.

At some point a paladin's passive can make you immune to Berserker's Confusion without the need for items, party members' buffs or consumables.

Does Goldpact armor bonus stack with berserker armor bonus?

Nope, but you can't uphold Frenzy all the time if you want to use any Rage for something else. Upholding Gilded Enmity is fairly easy because of the refund.

I'm ditching Berserker on my Watcher. It's just too much self-damage and too many other drawbacks for stuff that a Devoted can get for free.

The fact that DAOM gives 15% Action Speed, which is almost as much as Frenzy but is way less self-damage, is also a factor.

The self damage is massive. But if you counter it with Savage Defiance it's manageable.

I'm ditching Berserker on my Watcher. It's just too much self-damage and too many other drawbacks for stuff that a Devoted can get for free.

The fact that DAOM gives 15% Action Speed, which is almost as much as Frenzy but is way less self-damage, is also a factor.

The self damage is massive. But if you counter it with Savage Defiance it's manageable.
Yeah, but DAOM is almost as good as Frenzy, doesn't come with -10 Deflection, and the Devoted's PEN bonus is just as good as the Berserker's but comes with no penalties. Well, apart from the weapon restriction, which doesn't bother me so much.

I'd rather counter actual enemy damage than have to counter my abilities damaging me

Edited by Yosharian

The downside of the Devoted compared to Berserker is that his bonuses only work with weapons while Tenacious will rise your PEN universally.

But yes, Battlemage is nice, too. Just keep in mind that Alacrity causes self dmg as well.

The downside of the Devoted compared to Berserker is that his bonuses only work with weapons while Tenacious will rise your PEN universally.

But yes, Battlemage is nice, too. Just keep in mind that Alacrity causes self dmg as well.

Only a small amount, and if I understand correctly the raw damage doesn't scale with level like the Berserker's does. It can get as high as 30 per 3sec, whereas DAOM's will never go higher than... 5, maybe?

DAOM also gives immunity to engagement, which is huge.

Edited by Yosharian

Haha, no. But I don't know the exact numbers without checking in game. Tooltip will tell you. :)

Power Level scaling is (+5% base damage per additional PL point) * bonus/malus from MIG.