25 minutes ago, Ivanfyodorovich said:

Thanks for all this work!

Am I understanding the options correctly, then? 

First Conversation: Option to choose specific responses and gain an inspiration themed to those responses (PER, INT, or MIG). 

Second Conversation: Option to choose the same theme responses and gain a tier 2 inspiration of the same kind OR answer differently and get a second inspiration added. 

Third Conversation: Option to choose the same as first, second, and get a tier 3 inspiration of the same kind OR answer differently and get a third inspiration added. (Can you answer here and get the 2 inspirations upgraded to tier 2)

Tested it for several hours and never get 2 tier 2 inspirations. Seems to be one tier 3 or 3 tier one.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I had to retry several times to get Wit of Death's Herald

i tried to answer passionate for first option, then clever for second option (about the moon and Ondra) but it didn't worked each time i got Mien, i tried to add (diplomacy), got Mien also. What worked is answer passionate for first option, then clever for second option (about the moon and Ondra), and another Passionate before i leave them (about the debt remain not paid)...

I should have tried this as a wizard in my first play (got Mien), because as a Cipher (no subclass), i am not sure Wit of Death's Herald will help my watcher ...

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...

I checked the convo files and it turns out that it's decided by global variables (n_Watcher_Ability_X_Aggressive, n_Watcher_Ability_X_Sassy and n_Watcher_Ability_X_Diplomatic) and won't necessarily correspond with Disposition icons! (Though they can be good indicators.)

tl;dr is that you need at least 3/2/4 responses of your flavor of choice after Port Maje/Hasongo/Magran's Teeth, respectively. You then get the ability based on which flavor count is highest. If two flavors share the same count, Diplomatic takes precedence, then Sassy and last Aggressive. So you have to look out for other flavors as well.

Post Port Maje

Ire of Death's Herald (Might) : At least 3 Aggressive responses, more than Sassy and Diplomatic ones.
Wit of Death's Herald (Intellect) : At least 3 Sassy responses, more than Diplomatic and not fewer than Aggressive.
Mien of Death's Herald (Perception) : At least 3 Diplomatic responses and not fewer than Aggressive and Sassy.

Spoiler

n_Watcher_Ability_PM_Aggressive
  12    "I can't follow Eothas around if you're going to keep dragging my soul into the Beyond whenever the whim takes you."
  21    "I don't care what you do. Just put me back in my body so I can get this charade over with."
  30    "He's too dangerous. You have to destroy him."
  124   "This is bull****."
  134   "Something must be done."
  144   "You would destroy Eora for what, spite?"

n_Watcher_Ability_PM_Sassy
  13    "He's stomping around the Deadfire yanking up souls like a giant adra soul magnet."
  26    "Sure, great idea. Can I go now?"
  140   "Then what's the point of this exercise?"
  143   "Uh, I'm pretty sure we need that."
  146   "Given her relationship with the moon, I doubt Ondra would approve of that plan."
  171   "We'll see about that."

n_Watcher_Ability_PM_Diplomatic
  20    "What kind of 'precautions' do you suggest?"
  29    "Attempting to end Eothas may only make things worse."
  36    "He's draining souls from veins of luminous adra."
  37    "It's too early to be sure what he plans, but his behavior is suspicious."
  125   "I'll do what I can."
  126   "I only do this because I must."
  135   "There's no cause to act now."
  147   "If you think that's the appropriate solution, I won't stand in your way."

Post Hasongo

+ Might : At least 2 Agressive responses, more than Sassy and Diplomatic ones.
+ Intellect : At least 2 Sassy responses, more than Diplomatic and not fewer than Aggressive.
+ Perception : At least 2 Diplomatic responses and not fewer than Aggressive and Sassy.

Spoiler

n_Watcher_Ability_HAS_Aggressive
  11    "I have nothing new to report."
  40    "You should seize this opportunity to slow him while you can. There might not be another chance."
  42    "Thousands of kith will die!"
  47    "But you don't know if you'll save millions! You might kill thousands for nothing."
  106   "My 'petty mortal feelings' are the only reason your wrists don't chafe in Woedica's shackles."
  112   "You won't kill me. You *need* me."
  123   "This **** again?"

n_Watcher_Ability_HAS_Sassy
  5     "You know, I'm starting to look forward to these chats."
  6     "Maybe try a door next time."
  18    "Yes, it's so interesting when hundreds of kith die so Eothas can take a stroll."
  41    "Worth trying, at least."
  71    "It's not like I have a choice."
  105   "Funny how it's always kith who must make the sacrifices, never you."
  185   "He's still smashing his way across the Deadfire, destroying everything in sight."

n_Watcher_Ability_HAS_Diplomatic
  10    "He makes for Magran's Teeth."
  43    "There must be another way to stop him."
  46    "A difficult calculus but a logical one, too."
  70    "I'll do my best."
  122   "Perhaps you're right."
  210   [Bow.]

Post Magran's Teeth

+ Might : At least 4 Agressive responsesand more than both Sassy and Diplomatic ones.
+ Intellect : At least 4 Sassy responses, more than Diplomatic and not fewer than Aggressive.
+ Perception : At least 4 Diplomatic responses and not fewer than Aggressive and Sassy.

Spoiler

n_Watcher_Ability_MAG_Aggressive
  14    "Eothas is going to destroy everything!"
  25    "We'll remake our world without you in it."
  58    "This doesn't feel like the act of a caring god to me."
  66    "I will make him heed my words."
  70    "I don't owe you anything anymore."
  86    "Fatalism helps no one and solves nothing."
  88    "Only the weak know fear."
  165   "Good. I could use a challenge."
  173   "This 'guardian' is but one more thing that will fall before me."
  198   "Eothas could be destroying the Wheel right now, and you're <i>arguing?</i>"
  200   "Shut up!"
  222   "So I have to fight the Guardian of Ukaizo. Any suggestions?"
  249   "Why do you waste time arguing, then?"
  320   "That's horrible!

n_Watcher_Ability_MAG_Sassy
  12    "It's a long time coming. Kith will finally know what a bunch of frauds you all are."
  27    "I don't know, but aren't you curious to find out?"
  53    "How did Eothas fool you all? You're the most powerful beings in Eora."
  84    "Oh, I'm terrified!"
  166   "Another? Aren't you bored yet?"
  197   "I'll just... wait until you're done."
  256   "I prefer to think of it as a very long vacation."
  283   [Roll your eyes.] "That's obvious."
  291   "Right, because I haven't had one of <i>those</i> lately."
  182   "Why can't you just... get rid of it?"
  323   "Whose 'good?' Yours?"

n_Watcher_Ability_MAG_Diplomatic
  26    "Don't worry - there will always be a place for the gods in Eora."
  61    "With the gods' guidance we might survive what Eothas plans."
  67    "I'll try."
  68    "He's not going to listen to me, I'm just a kith."
  69    "I can't defy Eothas' will."
  81    "We can no longer count on the gods for guidance. Kith will have to figure this out on our own."
  85    "It does. But I will not let fear rule me."
  87    "I trust Eothas. There is nothing to fear."
  92    "We'll learn and grow, as Eothas intends."
  172   "Guardian of Ukaizo?"
  185   "Won't Eothas take care of it?"
  208   "What's going on here?"
  247   [Nod.]
  258   "Progress? Are you planning something new?"
  324   "A grim but honorable sacrifice."

Edited by Noqn
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

On 3/5/2020 at 6:49 PM, Noqn said:

I checked the convo files and it turns out that it's decided by global variables (n_Watcher_Ability_X_Aggressive, n_Watcher_Ability_X_Sassy and n_Watcher_Ability_X_Diplomatic) and won't necessarily correspond with Disposition icons! (Though they can be good indicators.)

tl;dr is that you need at least 3/2/4 responses of your flavor of choice after Port Maje/Hasongo/Magran's Teeth, respectively. You then get the ability based on which flavor count is highest. If two flavors share the same count, Diplomatic takes precedence, then Sassy and last Aggressive. So you have to look out for other flavors as well.

Post Port Maje

Ire of Death's Herald (Might) : At least 3 Aggressive responses, more than Sassy and Diplomatic ones.
Wit of Death's Herald (Intellect) : At least 3 Sassy responses, more than Diplomatic and not fewer than Aggressive.
Mien of Death's Herald (Perception) : At least 3 Diplomatic responses and not fewer than Aggressive and Sassy.

Reveal hidden contents

n_Watcher_Ability_PM_Aggressive
  12    "I can't follow Eothas around if you're going to keep dragging my soul into the Beyond whenever the whim takes you."
  21    "I don't care what you do. Just put me back in my body so I can get this charade over with."
  30    "He's too dangerous. You have to destroy him."
  124   "This is bull****."
  134   "Something must be done."
  144   "You would destroy Eora for what, spite?"

n_Watcher_Ability_PM_Sassy
  13    "He's stomping around the Deadfire yanking up souls like a giant adra soul magnet."
  26    "Sure, great idea. Can I go now?"
  140   "Then what's the point of this exercise?"
  143   "Uh, I'm pretty sure we need that."
  146   "Given her relationship with the moon, I doubt Ondra would approve of that plan."
  171   "We'll see about that."

n_Watcher_Ability_PM_Diplomatic
  20    "What kind of 'precautions' do you suggest?"
  29    "Attempting to end Eothas may only make things worse."
  36    "He's draining souls from veins of luminous adra."
  37    "It's too early to be sure what he plans, but his behavior is suspicious."
  125   "I'll do what I can."
  126   "I only do this because I must."
  135   "There's no cause to act now."
  147   "If you think that's the appropriate solution, I won't stand in your way."

Post Hasongo

+ Might : At least 2 Agressive responses, more than Sassy and Diplomatic ones.
+ Intellect : At least 2 Sassy responses, more than Diplomatic and not fewer than Aggressive.
+ Perception : At least 2 Diplomatic responses and not fewer than Aggressive and Sassy.

Reveal hidden contents

n_Watcher_Ability_HAS_Aggressive
  11    "I have nothing new to report."
  40    "You should seize this opportunity to slow him while you can. There might not be another chance."
  42    "Thousands of kith will die!"
  47    "But you don't know if you'll save millions! You might kill thousands for nothing."
  106   "My 'petty mortal feelings' are the only reason your wrists don't chafe in Woedica's shackles."
  112   "You won't kill me. You *need* me."
  123   "This **** again?"

n_Watcher_Ability_HAS_Sassy
  5     "You know, I'm starting to look forward to these chats."
  6     "Maybe try a door next time."
  18    "Yes, it's so interesting when hundreds of kith die so Eothas can take a stroll."
  41    "Worth trying, at least."
  71    "It's not like I have a choice."
  105   "Funny how it's always kith who must make the sacrifices, never you."
  185   "He's still smashing his way across the Deadfire, destroying everything in sight."

n_Watcher_Ability_HAS_Diplomatic
  10    "He makes for Magran's Teeth."
  43    "There must be another way to stop him."
  46    "A difficult calculus but a logical one, too."
  70    "I'll do my best."
  122   "Perhaps you're right."
  210   [Bow.]

Post Magran's Teeth

+ Might : At least 4 Agressive responsesand more than both Sassy and Diplomatic ones.
+ Intellect : At least 4 Sassy responses, more than Diplomatic and not fewer than Aggressive.
+ Perception : At least 4 Diplomatic responses and not fewer than Aggressive and Sassy.

Reveal hidden contents

n_Watcher_Ability_MAG_Aggressive
  14    "Eothas is going to destroy everything!"
  25    "We'll remake our world without you in it."
  58    "This doesn't feel like the act of a caring god to me."
  66    "I will make him heed my words."
  70    "I don't owe you anything anymore."
  86    "Fatalism helps no one and solves nothing."
  88    "Only the weak know fear."
  165   "Good. I could use a challenge."
  173   "This 'guardian' is but one more thing that will fall before me."
  198   "Eothas could be destroying the Wheel right now, and you're <i>arguing?</i>"
  200   "Shut up!"
  222   "So I have to fight the Guardian of Ukaizo. Any suggestions?"
  249   "Why do you waste time arguing, then?"
  320   "That's horrible!

n_Watcher_Ability_MAG_Sassy
  12    "It's a long time coming. Kith will finally know what a bunch of frauds you all are."
  27    "I don't know, but aren't you curious to find out?"
  53    "How did Eothas fool you all? You're the most powerful beings in Eora."
  84    "Oh, I'm terrified!"
  166   "Another? Aren't you bored yet?"
  197   "I'll just... wait until you're done."
  256   "I prefer to think of it as a very long vacation."
  283   [Roll your eyes.] "That's obvious."
  291   "Right, because I haven't had one of <i>those</i> lately."
  182   "Why can't you just... get rid of it?"
  323   "Whose 'good?' Yours?"

n_Watcher_Ability_MAG_Diplomatic
  26    "Don't worry - there will always be a place for the gods in Eora."
  61    "With the gods' guidance we might survive what Eothas plans."
  67    "I'll try."
  68    "He's not going to listen to me, I'm just a kith."
  69    "I can't defy Eothas' will."
  81    "We can no longer count on the gods for guidance. Kith will have to figure this out on our own."
  85    "It does. But I will not let fear rule me."
  87    "I trust Eothas. There is nothing to fear."
  92    "We'll learn and grow, as Eothas intends."
  172   "Guardian of Ukaizo?"
  185   "Won't Eothas take care of it?"
  208   "What's going on here?"
  247   [Nod.]
  258   "Progress? Are you planning something new?"
  324   "A grim but honorable sacrifice."

After Hasongo (i had wit => Intel inspiration), i answered clever to Berath, then two times Passionate (the flame) to Ondra and Magran, then Agressive to Ondra (about my feelings which saved them from Woodica and leaden key ) -> i received Cruelty of dead Herald (Intel + Might)
- I don't liked Cruelty (they should have called it differently) so I decided to try something else, I answered two times "Passionate", and received Raiment of the dead herald (Intel + Per).
- Another time, i tried different answer dispositions, and i finished without upgrade of my (Wit of the death's herald) - can't remember what i answered on this shot.

I read in the topic someone who spoke about tier 3 inspirations but as far as i understand this ability mechanic, it is random, when we launch this ability whatever it is, we get an inspiration, and it can be Tier 1 or Tier 3, so if i am correct the more different inspirations type (intel + might or intel + per) we receive, the better it is...
Am I wrong ?

Edited by fced

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...

On 6/7/2019 at 12:49 PM, Arctur said:

Tested it for several hours and never get 2 tier 2 inspirations. Seems to be one tier 3 or 3 tier one.:thumbsup:

Need some tests to confirm, but the inspiration "Tier"  is received when you launch the spell "xxx death herald",  by answering the Gods, you receive a type of inspiration (Per/Int/Might/nothing) on your  xxx of the death herald ability - it could also be no inspiration.
I could be wrong, but most of the time when i launch Wit of the death herald, the intel inspiration tier i receive is different, it could be "smart", "acute" or "brilliant".

Always save before and after speaking to Eothas (different saves), i wanted Wit of the death for when i was playing a wizard, and i got it as a Cypher, i was so happy until i realize it was useless for a Cypher, useless because you can generate your power source by attacking which is not the case of all the other classes.

Edited by fced

I read in the topic someone who spoke about tier 3 inspirations but as far as i understand this ability mechanic, it is random, when we launch this ability whatever it is, we get an inspiration, and it can be Tier 1 or Tier 3, so if i am correct the more different inspirations type (intel + might or intel + per) we receive, the better it is...
Am I wrong ?

Yeah, there's no randomness involved. If you upgrade let's say Wits of Death's Herald from Tier 1 to Tier 2 after Hasongo, it will always grant you Tier 2 Intellect Inspirations.
It is possible the ability will stay at the same Tier after a conversation if you didn't pick enough of any "flavor". This might've happened to the guy who originally speculated about RNG, thinking his ability had been upgraded when it wasn't. Quicksaving after a God convo and casting the ability on a random crew member on your ship is a convenient way to test if it works 😁

Since Tier 3 Inspirations are quite rare, it's often what people go for.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2020 at 8:17 AM, Noqn said:

Yeah, there's no randomness involved. If you upgrade let's say Wits of Death's Herald from Tier 1 to Tier 2 after Hasongo, it will always grant you Tier 2 Intellect Inspirations.
It is possible the ability will stay at the same Tier after a conversation if you didn't pick enough of any "flavor". This might've happened to the guy who originally speculated about RNG, thinking his ability had been upgraded when it wasn't. Quicksaving after a God convo and casting the ability on a random crew member on your ship is a convenient way to test if it works 😁

Since Tier 3 Inspirations are quite rare, it's often what people go for.

https://pillarsofeternity2.wiki.fextralife.com/Watcher+Abilities

I am not sure it work like you said, the tier 1/2/3 if completely random when you cast the spell, the goal here is to get the all three inspiration type the more urgent when you get it depending your needs. Each time you speak with the gods, you get one chance to have : One inspiration between Intel/Perception/Might/Nothing, Ideally you want to have the three type ...

The tier type (I/II/III) of inspiration will be determined when you cast this ability (random) on an enemy... I done some tests at the very beginning when i got the first inspiration...

I returned here, about something else, is there any interest to leave a part of your soul in Eothas (as a bit of
consciousness ? ) for an extra ending ?

Edited by fced

7 hours ago, fced said:

I am not sure it work like you said, the tier 1/2/3 if completely random when you cast the spell

It works exactly like I said.

"$type": "Game.GameData.GenericAbilityGameData, Assembly-CSharp",
"DebugName": "Wit_Of_Deaths_Herald",
"ID": "28839804-73ba-40b6-9a12-68f11b43afc8",
"Components": [
    {
        "$type": "Game.GameData.GenericAbilityComponent, Assembly-CSharp",
        "StatusEffectsIDs": [
            "5abb65f8-24c0-4c4f-af5a-143e31280398"
        ],
"$type": "Game.GameData.StatusEffectGameData, Assembly-CSharp",
"DebugName": "Wit_Of_Deaths_Herald_SE_Display",
"ID": "5abb65f8-24c0-4c4f-af5a-143e31280398",
    {
        "$type": "Game.GameData.StatusEffectComponent, Assembly-CSharp",
        "StatusEffectsValueIDs": [
            "014a1369-a685-46f1-b632-873207445b7f",
            "e01f33d4-a091-4c30-9d05-7466eded02eb",
            "c125d9b9-6526-48d2-b961-3b01b8e158d1"
        ],
"$type": "Game.GameData.AfflictionGameData, Assembly-CSharp",
"DebugName": "Wit_Of_Deaths_Herald_SE_Smart",
"ID": "014a1369-a685-46f1-b632-873207445b7f",

"DebugName": "Wit_Of_Deaths_Herald_SE_Acute",
"ID": "e01f33d4-a091-4c30-9d05-7466eded02eb",

"DebugName": "Wit_Of_Deaths_Herald_SE_Brilliant",
"ID": "c125d9b9-6526-48d2-b961-3b01b8e158d1",

Each of these three Wit_Of_Deaths_Herald_SE_* Inspirations have mutually exclusive conditions, so only one will be applied to the Player.

Smart will only be applied if

Sassy_LVL1 == 1
 Sassy_LVL2 == 0
 Sassy_LVL3 == 0

Acute will only be applied of

Sassy_LVL1 == 1
 Sassy_LVL2 == 1
 Sassy_LVL3 == 0

Brilliant will only be applied if

Sassy_LVL1 == 1
 Sassy_LVL2 == 1
 Sassy_LVL3 == 1

You can see the example of Smart here:

Spoiler

"ApplicationPrerequisites": {
	"Conditional": {
		"Operator": 0,
			{
				"$type": "OEIFormats.FlowCharts.ConditionalCall, OEIFormats",
				"Data": {
					"FullName": "Boolean IsGlobalValue(String, Operator, Int32)",
					"Parameters": [
						"b_Watcher_Ability_Sassy_LVL1",
						"EqualTo",
						"1"
					],
					"Flags": "",
					"UnrealCall": "",
					"FunctionHash": 901380568,
					"ParameterHash": -1587041638
				},
				"Not": false,
				"Operator": 0
			},
			{
						"b_Watcher_Ability_Sassy_LVL2",
						"EqualTo",
						"0"
					],
					"ParameterHash": 181072064
				},
			},
			{
						"b_Watcher_Ability_Sassy_LVL3",
						"EqualTo",
						"0"
					],
					"ParameterHash": 1949185765
				},
			}
		]
	}
},

Edited by Noqn
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

may be it is different on console, because i had Cruelty of Death's Herald until two hours ago, and regularly when i use it i get Brilliant... I will try with Majesty of Death's Herald and see what happen... It would not be the first thing which is weird in Deadfire (ex=bow slash against death guards)

Anyway thankyou for your answer.

Edit : Did the Wits of Death's Herald description change depending on the x.tier ?

Edited by fced

• 2 weeks later...

What would be the best watcher ability (best inspiration) for a chanter (troubadour) which use physical weapons ? after playing with all other classes and I always fear falling out of power resources, so since i understood we could get the watcher ability we want, i tend to go for Intellect inspiration, but would Wit of Dead Herald (Intel inspiration) the best choice for a Chanter (troubadour) or a Cipher ?
Any help to decide please ?

Edited by fced

• 6 months later...